Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Wark Say posted:

I've never gotten the hate for Kugimiya's work in the persona series. I mean sure, Rie Kugimiya's tsundere range can be grating as gently caress, but here she doesn't strike me as her usual type-casting. Well, maybe her Kagura voice at times, but part of the deal is that her work here goes along fairly well for the type of character Rise is.

It's less Kugimiya as Rise and more Kugimiya turning in a pretty standard performance of hers while the English Rise voice actress is pretty good without also being nightmarishly over-exposed. At least to me, anyway, as someone who doesn't consume a ton of dubbed anime or whatever. Plus I just don't find Kugi to have an appealing voice quality. The only character she does that doesn't cause me make a face like someone farted with is Alphonse Elric.

It could be worse though. She could be a tsundere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
Hahah yes, Yu is doing all the best dialogue choices :allears:. This is going to be amazing.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

You know what's funny? All of Yu's dialogue can be read as if he knows exactly what's going to happen and is instead wondering why history has decided to repeat itself. Also, those loving handshakes.

I do hope the sequence breaking continues, because Persona 4 for a fourth time is already scraping the bottom of the barrel.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I got the feeling from the episode that while he had the boosted stats so he could do the good dialogue choices, he didn't remember that he's done this before tell he got his Persona.

Sir PigglyWiggly
Jan 12, 2013

I got lost in the woods.
Now I'm a tree!
NG+ :dance:

He picks he best dialogue that need maxed stats, and he isn't asking any questions. Lets not ask our uncle is, lets not freak out at hand in T.V. lets jump on in, lets not ask who and what teddy is, I can almost see Yu spamming X skipping the text. Who needs exposition we've done this before.

No wonder he was so goddamn smug looking on that train.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This is pretty great. Both the main character and the viewer already know most of what's going on so he's going to speed run this poo poo.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

BlitzBlast posted:

By the way, whoever's directing the animation of this has a really weird image of normal human proportions. If you want a laugh, start looking at people's legs/torsos.

Yeah the Quality hasn't improved by that much.

ElBrak posted:

I got the feeling from the episode that while he had the boosted stats so he could do the good dialogue choices, he didn't remember that he's done this before tell he got his Persona.

I don't know, it kind of like he's pretending that he doesn't know what's going to happen next. Like the gas station handshake, he knew what he had to do, it's unpleasant, but so be it. He doesn't want people to get suspicious that he's been timelooping.

And because he's not like Homura, he's not trying to hold his knowledge over other people's heads.

You know what I want them to do? Actually try to stop the murders from happening. Nip Adachi at the bud. That would be so much better for the character Yu Narukami. He doesn't have to be successful, he just has to try, do something different.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I dunno, I felt like Yu's being guided by a player who's on a NG+.

That is, he's got maxed out stats and an overpowered Persona (I personally choose to believe Izanagi used Myriad Arrows, which is what I gave my Izanagi in NG+ as soon as possible) and he's choosing the best options because the player controlling him knows what options to choose. But he himself probably doesn't know why he's doing them, he just feels like it's the right thing to do, and the NG+ player's overconfidence is manifesting as Yu's swagger. Cause God drat that guy's got a fuckton of swagger. I loving love Yu's swagger. It's amazing.

As for quality, the first Marie scene, where she's picking up the paper and walking to Yu, is really out of proportion, but didn't notice any glaring issues otherwise, and at least the characters' faces aren't half-red.

Also I like Marie and her poetry so this episode was pretty great. Yay lovely poet Marie.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I wouldn't think it's so much a "player" making Yu so confident, but rather that all his social stats are maxed out, so it just comes naturally to him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't think Yu knows what's going on because he was confused right after putting his hand in the TV the first time. It could be at best a time-ripple where he feels the effects of new game plus.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

You know what I want them to do? Actually try to stop the murders from happening. Nip Adachi at the bud. That would be so much better for the character Yu Narukami. He doesn't have to be successful, he just has to try, do something different.

I thought when he went into the TV he was trying to save Saki when he asked about a girl that he saw. After watching it again I saw Marie's silhouette and was a little disappointed. But in the case of the first two victims, the announcer gets pushed in before or as Yu arrives. Saki (we're beyond this point in the narrative btw) was shown dying on the midnight channel while Yu watched it for the first time, so it may have already been too late.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dehry posted:

I thought when he went into the TV he was trying to save Saki when he asked about a girl that he saw. After watching it again I saw Marie's silhouette and was a little disappointed. But in the case of the first two victims, the announcer gets pushed in before or as Yu arrives. Saki (we're beyond this point in the narrative btw) was shown dying on the midnight channel while Yu watched it for the first time, so it may have already been too late.

But the Shadows don't come out until the rainy days are over, right? When they went into the TV for the first time, it was just the first out of three rainy days.

duvel
Dec 13, 2008
The most recent episode is really odd and I don't know what it will mean for the series as a whole. Parts of it were good but it kinda felt dull.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

New Game Plus double confirmed

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
So they're literally just animating the Golden scenes?

I'm curious how they'll even reach 12 episodes.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

BlitzBlast posted:

So they're literally just animating the Golden scenes?

I'm curious how they'll even reach 12 episodes.

1 ep intro to Marie
2-10 Marie & Adachi Social links mixed with Golden scenes
11 Golden extra dungeon Hollow Forest
12 Golden Epilogue

EDIT: I forgot that Adachi got Social links in golden too.

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 18, 2014

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I hope they show off the new bad ending, because Yu just time-looped, so why the hell not? Need to show off the new epilogue too? Easy. Load game.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm really liking that they're giving us a second season of Persona without having to actually contradict the story in any way. I wasn't expecting the beach trip so soon though. Maybe it raises the chance of a one off Persona Q or Arena episode?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This isn't as bad as I expected. So glad it's an NG+ run :neckbeard: I wonder if they'll do anything special or try to change the outcomes? If not, oh well, the Golden stuff is good too.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Dehry posted:

I'm really liking that they're giving us a second season of Persona without having to actually contradict the story in any way. I wasn't expecting the beach trip so soon though. Maybe it raises the chance of a one off Persona Q or Arena episode?

I would love to see an Arena episode (or short run series) just to know which series of events was considered cannon. Like the LP of Arena said I do think little bit of each ending are what actually happen but I would like to know who fought who and who won.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

They'd probably just animate the manga.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pollyanna posted:

This isn't as bad as I expected. So glad it's an NG+ run :neckbeard: I wonder if they'll do anything special or try to change the outcomes? If not, oh well, the Golden stuff is good too.

Persona 4:Dancing All Night episode.

And everyone is invited.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
This episode was pretty good interpretation of someone trying to get all the social links done but not having enough time so everything just falls apart.
It's still really weird to me that they went straight from Yu's persona awakening to Kanji being part of the team without even introducing him or having a recap or montage of what happens between. Instead of being its own series, this feels more like a set of Blu-Ray/DVD bonus episodes for the original series that they didn't get finished in time.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

That was better than the two episodes of S-link grinding Yu did in the original anime. I... think this'll be an amusing trainwreck, kinda like Code Geass and Guilty Crown.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

It's fun seeing all the new scenes but the way the faces are drawn is just... :barf: Something's so wrong. Everyone looks off-model.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

LiquidRain posted:

It's fun seeing all the new scenes but the way the faces are drawn is just... :barf: Something's so wrong. Everyone looks off-model.

There's something way-off about the way they draw mouths...

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

LiquidRain posted:

Heads are too big, eyes are too small. Everyone looks odd and scratchy (except for Marie actually). Bet it'll get cleaned up for DVD/Bluray or something.

Also, Chuuni reference out of nowehere.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I thought episode 2 was really good. v:shobon:v You guys are weird.

Like, who the gently caress is watching 2nd season video game tie in without playing/seeing the rest? Who cares if its jumping around.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The dungeon bits were the weakest parts of the show anyway, so I'm glad they're focusing on the dumb fun event stuff.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx

mateo360 posted:

I would love to see an Arena episode (or short run series) just to know which series of events was considered cannon. Like the LP of Arena said I do think little bit of each ending are what actually happen but I would like to know who fought who and who won.

Well according to the manga Yosuke and Aigis are the canon ones. ...No, seriously. Yosuke's path is canon.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The manga is not canon in any way.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

legoman727 posted:

Well according to the manga Yosuke and Aigis are the canon ones. ...No, seriously. Yosuke's path is canon.

Well, Yosuke's route gave us the best Yu scene in the game, so. :v:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Yu's still a huge dork, so I'm alright with this series so far. Also, Chie with that humongous bow in her hair looked hilarious.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

KoB posted:

I thought episode 2 was really good.

I think it'd be better if it didn't just spontaneously become The Marie Show guest starring The Main Cast of Persona 4 though.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dragonatrix posted:

I think it'd be better if it didn't just spontaneously become The Marie Show guest starring The Main Cast of Persona 4 though.

I like The Marie Show starring The Main Cast of Persona 4.

They had their turn; it's Marie's time to take the spoetlight.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dragonatrix posted:

They've got a show for you then. It's called the first anime. Like there were 26 whole episodes where she didn't exist. This show is covering all the new dumb poo poo added in Golden which is like 30% Marie so of course its gonna be the Marie and You show featuring those other fuckers.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Really the only flaw with this show so far is they didn't have little snippets of Yu insta-killing every single boss.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They've got a show for you then. It's called the first anime. Like there were 26 whole episodes where she didn't exist. This show is covering all the new dumb poo poo added in Golden which is like 30% Marie so of course its gonna be the Marie and You show featuring those other fuckers.

Uh, did you actually watch the first episode of this? Because she wasn't the focal point there, and she doesn't have to be at all now either. She just is because she's getting pushed super-hard in literally everything despite very few people actually liking her.

Like, yeah, I get that leaving her out wholesale is impossible. Doesn't mean she needs to be the center of attention the entire time right down to every other character just fawning over how cool and amazing and perfect she is.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dragonatrix posted:

Uh, did you actually watch the first episode of this? Because she wasn't the focal point there, and she doesn't have to be at all now either. She just is because she's getting pushed super-hard in literally everything despite very few people actually liking her.

The first episode didn't focus on her because it was a retread of the opening with Ng+ Yu. They didn't just want to start without a set up and since Marie shows up day. Also the episode ended with Yu promising to be there for her as her friend. It pretty much set this whole thing of being about Marie in the first episode.

Trust me, I understand not liking Marie but to say the show didn't set up now important she's gonna be or that it somehow just suddenly became all about Marie is kinda dumb given literally everything about her or what Margaret said in the first episode.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just hope they don't ignore the Adachi social link. One of the coolest moments in P4:G was getting the additional scene and dialogue if you hit (I think) rank 5 by a certain date and then again for the ending after you max him.

• Locked thread