Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

AlternateNu posted:

I just hope they don't ignore the Adachi social link. One of the coolest moments in P4:G was getting the additional scene and dialogue if you hit (I think) rank 5 by a certain date and then again for the ending after you max him.

Rank 6, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
They skipped the fsteak bit. Or rather, they had the scene, but got sidetracked right before the part that is by far the best. What idiot decided that?

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Montegoraon posted:

They skipped the fsteak bit. Or rather, they had the scene, but got sidetracked right before the part that is by far the best. What idiot decided that?

Probably the person who didn't want to do reruns of the P4A scenes.

Anyway, Yu is acting like a huge dork/sane man in a insane world so I'm super behind this, and he still has his obviously-not-true answers that the rest of the cast calls him out on.

quote:

"Is she a friend from your old school?"
"Thats it!"
"Hey, you just jumped on that didn't you?"

Basically, the more Yu's crazy star is allowed to shine, the better in my book.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Montegoraon posted:

fsteak is a western meme. Japan happened to have Marie use fusuteki in the scene and the translators ran with it.

E: Also, if anyone isn't aware of it for only having played/watched the original P4, Marie doesn't appear much outside her social links until January and February. The part where they were eating steak happened, but it was just Yu and Yosuke there. Babe hunt 2.0 was also a separate event from Marie's visit to Okina City. The shopping even happens off camera, so it's mostly anime original for that part. She also never appeared on the beach with everyone, which is this week's episode. She is definitely getting more screen time and interacting with characters she doesn't even talk to in game.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 22, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'm glad they're doing that, one of the dumb things about Golden was how she wasn't particularly well-integrated into the rest of the game, for being as important as she is.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Genocyber posted:

I'm glad they're doing that, one of the dumb things about Golden was how she wasn't particularly well-integrated into the rest of the game, for being as important as she is.
The funny thing is that if you watched original anime series and watched the Golden series where they chronologically fit between episodes, Marie would seem just as shoehorned in the anime as she seems in the game.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Well, at least Marie isn't as bad as P3P's Ryoji-Fortune link, which seemed to be deliberately placed to be inconvenient, delaying completion of both the Empress and Sun links, and coming too late so all but the last persona in that arcana are poor options.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Only slightly related, but I just got done watching that persona 3 movie and I like how they take the other approach to a silent protagonist (i.e. having him come across as kind of an arsehole).

Good movie

duvel
Dec 13, 2008
So this latest episode showed a lot better merging of Marie with stuff that happened in the original game. While I thought it was weird how they presented the video camera thing (I guess they REALLY wanted it to be the end of the episode for the answers while being involved in the middle) the rest of the episode flowed pretty well.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I found it kind of strange how Yu and Marie are still being evasive about where she came from when they're now hanging out with Teddie outside the TV.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

The Velvet Room is not part of the TV universe, and even Marie doesn't know where she's from, she just 'appeared' in the Yu's Velvet Room instance one day.

vvvvv also that. :p

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 25, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Alpha3KV posted:

I found it kind of strange how Yu and Marie are still being evasive about where she came from when they're now hanging out with Teddie outside the TV.

Also, Yu never reveals the existance of the Velvet Room to anyone in the crew.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

AlternateNu posted:

Also, Yu never reveals the existance of the Velvet Room to anyone in the crew.

Well, I can understand that. Even when your friends have discovered a creepy new world, you can't tell them about another one.

"I take rides in a blue limousine by night with an old man with a long nose, a lady in blue, and a lovely hipster poet. I give them cards and they make them into monsters for me. You wouldn't understand, it's a protagonist thing."

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
In Persona 3 someone mentions that the MC just kinda spaced out staring at the wall when he entered the velvet room for the first time on his own.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I forgot, does the P4 crew learn about the Velvet Room by the time Arena rolls around? I would assume they'd find out a little because Elizabeth is a playable character. Or maybe she doesn't interact with them? I can't remember.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

If The Answer in P3:FES is canon, Aigis is very familiar with the nose and Elizabeth. The other P3 characters should know as well from a brief encounter. I completely forget what happened when the P3 characters collided with Elizabeth in P4 Arena. (they did meet her again didn't they?)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Only Aegis interacts Elizabeth in Arena. Otherwise the two P4 characters who interact with her are Yu and Teddie who already have a connection to the Velvet Room as well then there's Labrys and Slabrys who are something of an anomaly.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The P4 characters met Margaret at one point, although it was a one on one fight. Golden gave them a second chance to interact with Margaret and the player can chose to explain or not.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

JazzFlight posted:

I forgot, does the P4 crew learn about the Velvet Room by the time Arena rolls around? I would assume they'd find out a little because Elizabeth is a playable character. Or maybe she doesn't interact with them? I can't remember.
Towards the end of Persona 4 Golden (and presumably this anime so I'll put it in spoilers) Margaret pulls the investigation team through a TV into the bonus dungeon and gives a vague explanation that she is someone who lives in another world and has been helping Yu, but I don't think the velvet room is ever mentioned. There's also a dialogue option where you can apologise to the team for not mentioning Margaret or the velvet room to them and Yosuke and the gang basically say "it's cool we probably wouldn't have believed you anyway".

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
It always seemed odd that the main characters didn't tell the rest of the class about the Velvet Room. In P3, they saw him access it regularly, though from their perspective it was just him staring off into space for a moment. They even comment on it, and you can tell them about the invisible door, but they don't pursue the matter any further. I guess because they know they won't get any more information out of a guy who rarely speaks, and only ever in single lines? Having a silent protagonist for a friend sounds like a pain in the rear end when you think about it that way.

Other than that, it just seems like gratuitous secret keeping.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!
You'd think that someone would, at some point, wonder what the P3/P4 main characters are even doing with multiple Personas.

"My Persona changed a bit when I had a major personal revelation. Once. What the hell is going on in his head?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I only assume that the rest of the team realizes they need this crazy powerful guy and don't want to broach the subject of him being possibly completely insane.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Jefepato posted:

You'd think that someone would, at some point, wonder what the P3/P4 main characters are even doing with multiple Personas.

"My Persona changed a bit when I had a major personal revelation. Once. What the hell is going on in his head?"
I recall in P3 that the protagonist being able to use multiple personas is one of the reasons why Mitsuru and Akihiko made him the leader. At the very least they're aware of it.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!

Butt Ghost posted:

I recall in P3 that the protagonist being able to use multiple personas is one of the reasons why Mitsuru and Akihiko made him the leader. At the very least they're aware of it.

I'm pretty sure the actual reason they put him in charge was because he could summon his Persona without hesitation. Although they do comment on the multiple Personas, and it could be why they leave him in charge when they return to active Shadow-killing duty.

What they don't do is wonder if it means he's unstable or something.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
P4's investigation team is very much bottom up, its like one of those old-fashioned crime fighting teens stories. So the fact no one else gets weirded out by the leader deliberately hiding things from his team is odd, to say the least.

P3's SEES is top-down, you arrive, and you plug yourself into pre-existing infrastructure.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Yu's face when Yukiko was cooking: priceless.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Dehry posted:

In Persona 3 someone mentions that the MC just kinda spaced out staring at the wall when he entered the velvet room for the first time on his own.
In P3/FES, the Velvet Room door outside of Tartarus is in a sketchy alley with nothing but a dumpster. Since the Velvet Room trips in that game could be pretty long, my friends & I made all sorts of jokes about SEES members seeing Minato sleeping it off in that dumpster again.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I can't believe they found a way to work the Quiz mini game into this.

Also the return of Aika and her super human tracking skills.

It looks like we finally get some Adachi stuff next episode.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Good to see that a new studio won't stop the quality stills from happening.

I feel like this and the last episode have been kind of boring lately, especially compared to Yu's antics the second episode. I know it's important to show off the S link stuff for Marie, but it's close enough to what happens in the game that I don't see what anyone who's already played the game would get out of it. The new stuff like bringing in the quiz show could have been great but it didn't feel nearly as funny or over-the-top as it could have been. Also Yosuke didn't get -1 points after getting a question wrong, what's up with that noise.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Yeah that one tried my patience a bit, even without playing/watching Golden.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

He needs to eat the science project.

That's what I thought he was going to do when he went and got that drink.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Crawfish posted:

He needs to eat the science project.

That's what I thought he was going to do when he went and got that drink.

There is no point if he has already maxed courage.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

I surprised no-one has mentioned Yu planning to use his scooter as a weapon to fight shadows.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
This seemed like kind of a budget episode in general. Lots of loops and people talking off camera.

EDIT: V The fanservice train goes both ways man.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 1, 2014

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I could have done without the bunny Kanji. That didn't need to exist.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Intro scene was pretty great. I love those kinds of scenes.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Blackunknown posted:

I surprised no-one has mentioned Yu planning to use his scooter as a weapon to fight shadows.
I was hoping that was going to lead to them showing how they get the scooters in the TV.
They make a big deal of them trying to sneak weapons into the TV but in Golden when the gang gets scooters they take them in and outside of the TV with no mention of how the gently caress they get 5 scooters and a bicycle into the TV department of Junes, inside a TV, then out again with no problem.

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

Kanji looking at chairs in Daidara was brilliant.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Marie is loving terrible, Jesus Christ. I hope the show gets to cool stuff with the main group soon and far away from her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

K. Flaps posted:

Marie is loving terrible, Jesus Christ. I hope the show gets to cool stuff with the main group soon and far away from her.

She's gonna be the focus of every episode.

• Locked thread