Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BlitzBlast posted:

Well it's more that 6 has a flashback sequence that basically grabs the best parts of 2-5, so you don't really need to bother with watching them.

And including Marie in all the group events is honestly way better than how the original Golden handled it.

That's just because you can't shoehorn in your bonus character into the "canon" game. Even in the bonus scenes that's weird.

Nathilus posted:

Just got around to watching the first episode of this and I gotta say I'm amused by Yuu's new game+ smug-rear end reactions and demeanor. It would be annoying with any other protagonist, but how he's acting is exactly how the player in new game+ is feeling. All, "gently caress yeah let's own the poo poo out of all these social links and blow everything to smithereens!"

I'm a bit confused by how much foreknowledge we're supposed to suppose he has though. The gas station scene could be him just playing coy, but when he waited for the TV hour the first time he seemed to be expecting it to work, then is surprised when it does. Later on, when he called out Izanagi, he definitely seemed to expect it and realize that he's an overpowered whore. Mixed signals. What's the deal?

Just assume the player controlling Yu is on a new game plus, but Yu in-universe is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I did not expect this episode to end with the game over screen. That was pretty good.

The Hollow Forest is also a lot more pleasant when you don't have to slog through it yourself (the actual dungeon in the game was designed by the SMT: Strange Journey team who hate you and everything you stand for). Love that music.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
There's something about the guns the Shadows use having zero consistency that's really endearing instead of annoying.

Also Yoshitsune and Hassou Tobi :woop:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

OH NO MAN posted:

I did not expect this episode to end with the game over screen. That was pretty good.

You know, I'm surprised they didn't do more silly with game mechanics like that throughout the anime. Of course Devil Survivor 2 waited until the last episode to show off fusion.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The first half of the episode was the first time I thought the show was boring as gently caress. I dunno, maybe it's cause I played the game already and happen to be familiar with the story, but poo poo just felt so tedious. I was itching to fast forward several times through the episode but didn't cause I figured something interesting might happen. Least the later half of the episode made up for it somewhat.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
This episode is a lot better if you pretend Marie is attacking the others with her lovely poetry

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
"It's not stupid, it's important!"

I'm pretty sure at that point they were talking about Marie's poetry, so what could have been a tedious argument was actually kind of funny.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

OnimaruXLR posted:

This episode is a lot better if you pretend Marie is attacking the others with her lovely poetry
Needs more clown rap.

NOW DANCE

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The subs have been delayed for a day.

E:

Watched a RAW.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 19, 2014

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The image of Narukami on Izanagi's shoulder with both of them crossing their arms basically justified the time I wasted watching this week's episode

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The animation budget for this episode was hilariously awful.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

BlitzBlast posted:

The animation budget for this episode was hilariously awful.
It all went into the hot spring scene, the animators obviously have their priorities. :pervert:

I don't think we got a split-second flash of Yosuke and Teddie getting boners like there was in the game, though.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
The Lethal Chefs combined their powers... and produced a Black Ooze. Yu really is too nice for his own good.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The anime has ended.

I do like the little touch that the girls still made the same mystery stew as in the true ending episode.

The epiloge sequence really lacked a budget and I swear the polkadots on Nanako's dress were static.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

And so ends Marie's drama hour.

It was pretty bad.

EDIT: Now this episode legitimately felt like self-insert fanfiction.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 26, 2014

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Yeah, that wasn't very good. Marie's scenes in the game were generally kinda bad and her integration to the plot was as awkward as it was here, but at least they didn't change all the existing scenes into OMG MARIE OMGOMGOMG like they did here.

For some reason, I thought Izanami's face in this episode was funny as hell. It was like a cross between :zombie: and :buddy: and looked completely ridiculous in close-ups. I guess an animation budget higher than 5000 yen would have helped.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Honor Student Kanji and Literal Weather Forecast Marie owned and I will hear nothing against them. :colbert:

I didn't really know much about Golden's additional content but going from this show they are... Okay I guess? Marie had some really bad scenes but it she's still better than Ken.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Oh, so that's why people don't like Marie.

The epilogue was pretty fun, Marie working as a weather lady is a good place to take the character. For the most part I haven't really minded Marie. But the final confrontation, I dunno, kinda feels like it defeats the entire purpose of what it was in the original game and anime.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

In the P4G game, the final battle is exactly the same as it is in vanilla, except that Marie appears along with your other social links to cheer you on (and she does that after Nanako, which is BULLSHIT :byodood:) and you have a chat in the Velvet Room afterwards. Nothing anywhere near as bad as the scene we saw in this.

And yeah, I like weather lady Marie.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Sep 27, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

All in all, I'd say the epilogue getting fully animated was the only worthwhile part of this entire show.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

GimmickMan posted:

Honor Student Kanji and Literal Weather Forecast Marie owned and I will hear nothing against them. :colbert:

I didn't really know much about Golden's additional content but going from this show they are... Okay I guess? Marie had some really bad scenes but it she's still better than Ken.

The gameplay and additional sidequests/dungeons in Golden were really good on top of the modern conveniences added to the game. It's the best remake possible of any game outside of a straight-up 2 generation upgrade like say Tactics Ogre.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GimmickMan posted:

I'm too lazy to pull up pictures for comparison, but did they animate Naoto's necklace to be a ring instead of Kanji's bullet pendant? Of all the revelations in P4G's epilogue, that was the best one.
Kanji x Naoto 4 lyfe. :v:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I think the bullet-pendant thing might have been people not seeing her necklace right or something. At least that's what I remember reading. It'd be sweet if Naoto and Kanji got together, because I want Kanji to be happy.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Persona 5 needs to let us play matchmaker with our social links.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

As someone who hasn't and never plans to watch any episode of this show, i'm glad it existed just so that there'd be more scenes with the epilogue designs because they are really good. The designs are all related to the growth the characters experienced as well, which is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Well that whole thing was pretty lovely. It felt even more like fanfiction than the original Marie Golden scenes.

• Locked thread