Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

origami posted:

Carry your fax to her house

This was a nice reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
"My neighbor, whose family I am very familiar with, wanted to ask me something and since she knew I was home, entered the first room of the house while calling out to me. This is the only time something like this has ever happened. Do I: A: Tell my neighbor politely not to come inside if I don't answer the door, or B: Be baffled about this one-time violation of boundaries and ask the internet as if the solution wasn't completely loving obvious?"

Seriously, how about asking your neighbors "please don't do that again" first, and then coming back here when there's an actual problem?

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 6, 2014

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
How bout reading the thread.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
All reading the thread has taught me is that OP is still too dumb to just tell his nosy neighbors to stay the gently caress out of his house even if he's upstairs and not answering the door.

I'm pretty sure a 7 year old could figure out this solution.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
Pretty sure a 7 year old could read the thread too.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

Pretty sure a 7 year old could read the thread too.

Pretty sure a 7 year old could crap in a diaper and breastfeed but it don't make it right

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
So your saying not reading the thread is right?

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

So your saying not reading the thread is right?

No I'm saying the range of activities of which a 7 year old is capable are meaningless in the context of the thread

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Quickscope420dad posted:

No I'm saying the range of activities of which a 7 year old is capable are meaningless in the context of the thread
What if the 7 year old is trespassing in my cookie jar?

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
Start locking your doors.

Also your jar.

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012
This thread reminds me of the house I grew up in. One of the neighbor's kids would walk into our houses and play our video games. He was a weird, harmless kid and he never grasped that this was not ok. We also had a half-way house, for lack of a better term, down the road, and the residents there would walk either let themselves in or break in because they wanted to watch TV, eat, or socialize.

I'm not familiar with any culture where this is considered normal, admissible behavior and if you're on any sort of decent terms with your neighbor guy then bring this up to him. You might even have a laugh about it.

EDIT oh and to add, we only locked our doors at night. I'm from a family of 5 and I can only imagine how tedious it'd be to constantly lock and unlock doors all day.

Black Cat fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 9, 2014

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Did you all literally go into and out of the house all the time? Doors auto lock, you literally only need to do anything when you're coming into the house, and then you turn a key and go in, then close the door. How is this difficult for *anyone*?

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

silvergoose posted:

Did you all literally go into and out of the house all the time? Doors auto lock, you literally only need to do anything when you're coming into the house, and then you turn a key and go in, then close the door. How is this difficult for *anyone*?

Not all doors autolock.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Personally, I hate the doors that autolock because they mean I pretty consistently lock myself out and have to pry open a bathroom window or something to crawl through. When it's 2am and I wake up to realize I forgot to take out the trash for morning pickup, "Remember to bring your keys" is not readily in the top of my foggy mind. If I'm lucky, I will remember to put on pants. I'm lucky if I remember my keys under ideal conditions, but at least with a regular door I will remember them when I try to lock it from outside and realize nothing is in my hands.

Anyway, my current doors don't autolock, and I lock when no one's home&awake, but I'm honestly more worried about injuring myself or something and my upstairs neighbour, who I both like and trust, being unable to get in to help me than I am about someone wandering into my house being a serious threat to me and yet also being unwilling to knock out a screen window pane. Different priorities, I guess?

With my terrible memory, insuring my house was "secure" would likely cost me more in calls to the locksmith than however much I'd lose getting burgled the way it is now.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
A locked door will only slow someone determined to get into your house down by about 30 seconds.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
My parents have an autolocking lock on their door, it also has a keypad that you can punch in a code to unlock the door so if you forget your keys it's not a problem (assuming you remember your code). It also makes a terrible screeching alarm if someone enters the code wrong too many times.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
OP has abandoned thread.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Sucrose posted:

OP has abandoned thread.

Either that or it ended in the murder/suicide that everyone predicted

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
He's only been missing for a week. He posted in AI on June 29th? When do we call the police to check his home for a dead body?

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

Maybe if the OP had just let her use the fax machine his whole family would be alive right now.

Cursed Lumberjack
Nov 14, 2006
A rather unfortunate logger indeed.

kmcormick9 posted:

Because I was home.

Okay I'm a little bit late and other goons have said this but, uhhh, why the gently caress wouldn't I lock the doors when I'm home? When I'm home is the time I least want people wandering in.

Scenario 1: friendly neighbor walks in while you are not home, sees you are not home, leaves house
Scenario 2: friendly neighbor walks in while you are home, potentially catching you at an awkward time when you are watching TV naked, or otherwise not ready for company
Scenario 3: burglars attempt to get into your house while you are not there, break in and steal stuff
Scenario 4: burglars attempt to get into your house while you are there, have no trouble opening an unlocked door, and have an opportunity to steal your poo poo after knocking you unconcious

Sure, you may live in a safe place where you think 3 and 4 are totally unreasonable, okay. But if I lived in the safest place imaginable I can't imagine not locking the door behind me when I come home from work every single day. It's my house, and I choose who comes in. End of story.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

GlyphGryph posted:

Anyway, my current doors don't autolock, and I lock when no one's home&awake, but I'm honestly more worried about injuring myself or something and my upstairs neighbour, who I both like and trust, being unable to get in to help me than I am about someone wandering into my house being a serious threat to me and yet also being unwilling to knock out a screen window pane.

Give your neighbor a spare key for emergencies and lock the drat door. This discussion is so loving weird.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cursed Lumberjack posted:

Okay I'm a little bit late and other goons have said this but, uhhh, why the gently caress wouldn't I lock the doors when I'm home? When I'm home is the time I least want people wandering in.

Scenario 1: friendly neighbor walks in while you are not home, sees you are not home, leaves house
Scenario 2: friendly neighbor walks in while you are home, potentially catching you at an awkward time when you are watching TV naked, or otherwise not ready for company
Scenario 3: burglars attempt to get into your house while you are not there, break in and steal stuff
Scenario 4: burglars attempt to get into your house while you are there, have no trouble opening an unlocked door, and have an opportunity to steal your poo poo after knocking you unconcious

Sure, you may live in a safe place where you think 3 and 4 are totally unreasonable, okay. But if I lived in the safest place imaginable I can't imagine not locking the door behind me when I come home from work every single day. It's my house, and I choose who comes in. End of story.

I think you're paranoid as hell, and speaking as someone who designs security systems for a living, also naive. Believe it or not, residential grade locks offer exactly 0 resistance to forced entry. I don't know what kind of burglars you're thinking of that are in too much of a hurry to check if anyone's home but also give up when faced with the fabled and completely impenetrable "locked door", but I've never heard of them.

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

KillHour posted:

I think you're paranoid as hell, and speaking as someone who designs security systems for a living, also naive. Believe it or not, residential grade locks offer exactly 0 resistance to forced entry. I don't know what kind of burglars you're thinking of that are in too much of a hurry to check if anyone's home but also give up when faced with the fabled and completely impenetrable "locked door", but I've never heard of them.

So just recently in Albany,OR there was a burglar/rapist/murderer whose entire MO was checking for unlocked doors. He would try multiple homes until finding an open one. He killed one woman who was home, and raped/kidnapped another. His spree lasted for quite a while, and he even scaled second floor balconies since people were less likely to lock those doors.

Is this common? No, but it does happen.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

KillHour posted:

Yeah I lock my door because I don't want people loving walking in. Locked doors might not stop a burglar but it will stop my mom from strolling in uninvited. That's enough of a reason.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Yeah I lock my door because I don't want people loving walking in. Locked doors might not stop a burglar but it will stop my mom from strolling in uninvited. That's enough of a reason.

My mom would probably just knock on the door instead of walking away dejected. People aren't like in the game Lemmings where they blindly walk forward unless there's a locked door in the way. Also, she has a key because we're adults and she respects my privacy enough to call before coming over.

What the gently caress man?

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

KillHour posted:

My mom would probably just knock on the door instead of walking away dejected. People aren't like in the game Lemmings where they blindly walk forward unless there's a locked door in the way. Also, she has a key because we're adults and she respects my privacy enough to call before coming over.

What the gently caress man?

Bitch going to walk, I'm not answering the door.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

KillHour posted:

I live in an area with lots of ground floor apartments/condos where it's normal for tweekers to just keep trying doors/windows until they find one that's open. You overestimate the average burglar's effort level, at least for urban areas.

edit: also at least in my area it's a lot easier to prosecute burglars with tools, so they prefer to use nothing/whatever the owner leaves lying around.

e.g. even the new builds make it easy for quick "careless owner" checks

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 13, 2014

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
Left my door unlocked today for a little while and I poo poo you not some stranger tried to walk into my apartment. Told him to get the gently caress out. Now I'm telling the goons because it's a pretty funny coincidence if you think about it.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Left my door unlocked today for a little while and I poo poo you not some stranger tried to walk into my apartment. Told him to get the gently caress out. Now I'm telling the goons because it's a pretty funny coincidence if you think about it.

elaborate

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Taima posted:

elaborate

That's about it. It doesn't have to be a big loving deal. Someone peeps their head in that isn't supposed to, you say "Get the gently caress out" and they do or maybe they don't. This dude did. That was about it.

I live on the ground level and my door opens up right onto a public street so it's not like surprising. Hence why I usually lock my door when I'm home.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

That's about it. It doesn't have to be a big loving deal. Someone peeps their head in that isn't supposed to, you say "Get the gently caress out" and they do or maybe they don't. This dude did. That was about it.

I live on the ground level and my door opens up right onto a public street so it's not like surprising. Hence why I usually lock my door when I'm home.

This happened to me too while I was lying naked on my couch on a hot day. I said "what the gently caress?!" and the guy was like "uuhhh sorry I was looking for my brother's place" and left.

My sliding door was locked about six inches open but you have to look through a dense hedge to even see my place. I heard the rustling and thought it was just another raccoon.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
We had that happen once- the dog did the rest!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I have homeless people walk into my office, see that someone is there, then walk out mumbling sorry or say they were looking for a phone but not actually ask and just leave. They are trying to rob us. Usually come in around lunch, they do a little patrol for offices and shops left open with no staff around.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
No guys but the security consultant expert said burglars don't check for unlocked doors! I don't know about you guys but I'm going with the advice of the security expert who gets paid for his excellent consultation in only the best and latest security technology and tips.

Locking your doors is naive and so are all of you. Don't lock your doors.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 15, 2014

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008
Don't lock your doors to keep robbers out, lock your doors to keep your attack dogs in.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Scenty posted:

Uh, you can get a key made for less than 5 bucks.

Or you can make a bump key that's good on a lot more than one lock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr23tpWX8lM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock_bumping

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Aggressive pricing posted:

Don't lock your doors to keep robbers out, lock your doors to keep your attack dogs in.

If you have guard dogs, also be sure to have signs indicating that they're there, or else you assume legal liability for any attack. You can't set traps around your house - even if they have four legs.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

KillHour posted:

A locked door stopped Elliot Rogers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Frozen Horse posted:

A locked door stopped Elliot Rogers.

Yeah, but he was kind dumb. Like, he had a gun, that is pretty much a key to any normal door.

EDIT: Also OP really needs to give us some closure.

• Locked thread