Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

You're a brave man for starting a horse racing thread here, goonspeed.

(I'm watching and have a Pick-4 ticket with Chrome singled)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Argh why didn't I use Coffee Clique. Oh well, go Chrome!

Dumb and Dumber (Neumeier and Battaglia) pick Tonalist and Wicked Strong (god I'm so tired of that story, yeah we get it already the Boston Marathon got bombed).

Which brings up this scene from Let It Ride:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VosZzVlqxTg&list=PLJ4EW0TGcLQFMarbSf-9uvynFTcAmDHCY

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 7, 2014

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Colonel handling this with proper Southern grace.

He's 100% right though.

Yeah it's totally unfair that Chrome had to deal with fresh horses...you know, like every other Triple Crown contender ever. Dude's going out like a bitch.

I do think they should spread out the races a bit more, but I think that's more of an issue with Derby->Preakness. At least I can say I've seen the TC trophy up close at the Kentucky Horse Park, because I may never see it handed out again. :sigh:

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Peanut President posted:

It is bullshit. Imagine if you can sit your starters the whole season then just show up at the World Series/Stanley Cup/Super Bowl with your main guys who have been rested all season. It's loving garbage and it's no surprise that no one watches horse racing anymore.

Comparing this to team sports is wrong. Instead think about if John McEnroe was whining about tennis players making it to Wimbledon without playing in every tour event.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Josh Lyman posted:

Is it just me or does it seem like there are a lot of Hispanic jockeys?

Fair number of smaller guys, some of them cut their teeth in podunk races before coming to the US to make real money (and not all of them illegally even).

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

oldskool posted:

I would think that there'd be more carryover into the Preakness & Belmont, under the notion that the field can only get smaller and everyone's equally tired.

It would also prevent a horse that gets hurt in the Derby from running the Preakness or Belmont, which is a lovely precedent to set. If you changed the rules so the Triple Crown could be handed out to a horse that wins the Derby & beats all of the Derby competitors that run the Preakness & Belmont even if they don't win those races, that's an option that'd appease the angry multi-millionaire redneck.

They actually did something like this for a while, though it was just a money bonus based on placings in each race. Granted I don't think running them all was required, but it was definately skewed towards getting at least 2 placings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

haha the owner is continuing to make a complete rear end of himself, calling the other horse's owner a "goddamned cheater"

Looks like Team Dumbass (Stables) is blasting off again! :v:

Also yeah, it's not like anyone intentionally skips the Derby because they'd rather win the Belmont, more that they just need the extra time to hit their peak. And double lol to the notion that anyone would run just to beat his horse, he certainly didn't waste any time going from 'working class hero' to entitled jerk.

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 8, 2014

• Locked thread