Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Windows 98 posted:

If you believe in god, do you just not believe in science and physics and poo poo? I can't see how you can reach a level of intelligence that accepts science but still clings on to the fact that there's a man in the sky monitoring your masturbation habits.

There's been a lot of sarcastic replies to your serious question, and for that I apologize.

Here's the truth: Yes, most of them believe in space and planets and stars n' poo poo. Why? Two reasons:

1. They've not been told any of it contradicts the Bible. As long as no one says it's bad, it's ok to go along.

2. The right wing has not made it a political issue. If they chose to, for whatever reason, then any approval or belief in space would disappear practically overnight.

These same two reasons apply for everything else, by the way. It's a useful guide for understanding the American religious right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol belief in space

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

lol belief in space

Have you been there? How do you know it's real?

You're believing in something, brother.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
no but a bunch of people said they've been there and then wrote about it and I take them at their word

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
could probably, if you really felt like it, find a fringe evangelical megachurch where they tell their attendees that space is a lie and stars are just holes in the firmament thru which the light of heaven shines

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

redshirt posted:

Have you been there? How do you know it's real?

You're believing in something, brother.

i don't believe in canada or god. explain that op.

editin that quote for clarity

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

ive been there. it's hard to breathe

it's just a job, five days a week

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Police Automaton posted:

it's just a job, five days a week

some o2 would have been nice

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

redshirt posted:

There's been a lot of sarcastic replies to your serious question, and for that I apologize.

Here's the truth: Yes, most of them believe in space and planets and stars n' poo poo. Why? Two reasons:

1. They've not been told any of it contradicts the Bible. As long as no one says it's bad, it's ok to go along.

2. The right wing has not made it a political issue. If they chose to, for whatever reason, then any approval or belief in space would disappear practically overnight.

These same two reasons apply for everything else, by the way. It's a useful guide for understanding the American religious right.

All that might apply to the original question if the Christian god or anything related to it is even what the person who believes in a god believes in the first place. This explanation leaves out any other interpretation of the existence of god. In short ask a Deist or an agnostic theist what they believe.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Prettz posted:

god is gay

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

nutranurse posted:

it's comforting to know that there is a non-zero chance that some other form of sentient life prolly exists and has made their own version of SA and GBS
If their posting is worse than the OP's, it's not comforting at all.

Flops posted:

No, what if the act of masturbating is God?
Where do you think the Milky Way came from, Mr./Mrs. scientist?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i'm not really sure if i believe in any of you, or for that matter the existence of anything more than say 20 mi away from where I am

Butthead
May 31, 2011

joat mon posted:

Where do you think the Milky Way came from, Mr./Mrs. scientist?

From your mom's tits.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

thank you supreme gentleman

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

thank you supreme gentleman

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
stay safe poverty ghost

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

joat mon posted:

There's also a non-zero chance that on this distant planet shitposting is punishable by death

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

joat mon posted:

Even in a truly infinite universe there will never be a poster worse than the OP.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol i rickrolled kepler37b.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Even in a truly infinite universe there will never be a poster worse than the OP.

sickest OP burn I've seen in a while actually

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

now I have no ambitions

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Of course people who believe in God believe in space, God made space for us, for our planet to hang out in. Maybe it seems ridiculous to make a massive universe for no real reason other than to stick a tiny planet in but God did.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

So you're saying that a just and benevolent God exists?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

lol belief in space

If the pixies can believe in it so can I.
Thank you supreme gentleman.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Windows 98 posted:

If you believe in god, do you just not believe in science and physics and poo poo? I can't see how you can reach a level of intelligence that accepts science but still clings on to the fact that there's a man in the sky monitoring your masturbation habits.

Serious post: I thought this was the choice I had to make when I was 7 years old

Space or God?

Space easily won.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Serious post: I thought this was the choice I had to make when I was 7 years old

Space or God?

Space easily won.

space is boring bc there are only like 4 people atm in space

there are like 6 billion on earth

therefore, the earth is more interesting than space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah but those 4 people aren't raping people in India or waging war

They're just trying to jack it without their crew mates finding out