Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaine
Feb 26, 2001
Cotto is actually outboxing Sergio in the middle of the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Shankel Magnus posted:

Wait...did Roy just give some advice when an older guy should call it quits?

probably trying to goad him into a fight

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

This fight should really not keep going on. This is how a guy can die in the ring.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Lets throw in the towel

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001
Bad break for Sergio there but he was looking awful.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Finally someone with good sense saving his life.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Man I forgot about this, although I don't know if I could have turned off hockey anyway. Shame about Martinez.

LT.CrownRoast
Mar 20, 2009

by XyloJW
Glad they finally called that. Impressive as gently caress from Cotto tonight

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow.

gently caress.

:sigh:

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

floyd - cotto 2 now i guess?

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Wow. Old knees on his opponent or not, Cotto definitely handled his business the right way.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

what's next for cotto now?

edit: yeah floyd I guess

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Feed him to Golovkin.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Cotta - Canelo next I think.

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001
I didn't follow Cotto during his 140 days but I think that's the best version of him that I've ever seen.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

The Ninth Layer posted:

Cotta - Canelo next I think.

lara will not allow this

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah. He looked like the way I remember him before the first Margarito fight.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cotto's looked pretty good against a nobody and a completely shot champ. I'm still not sold on the comeback.

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001
Oh poo poo Cotto talking in third person now. He's gone full Mayweather.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

doctor thodt posted:

Cotto's looked pretty good against a nobody and a completely shot champ. I'm still not sold on the comeback.

I mean, it's a better argument for a return to dominance than the guy he was fighting. Which is kind of all you can ask for really.

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001
Martinez is a really classy dude. I don't think there's many people like him in the sport, so it's sad to see him go out like this. I do hope he retires, though.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

there's really not much in the schedule now apart from lara - canelo and that's over a month away

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Isn't GGG in the same division and fighting soon as well?

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

never heard of him

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

thehappyprince posted:

never heard of him

This is my favorite thing in these threads.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Cotto v Golovkin would (or should) have a legitimate chance of not being allowed to happen because of the damage Cotto would take.

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.

Lionel Richie posted:

Cotto v Golovkin would (or should) have a legitimate chance of not being allowed to happen because of the damage Cotto would take.

I dunno, Cotto's looked pretty poised and defensively solid in his last few fights, he's taken a lot of damage from volume punchers in the past but he's still probably got more pure boxing skill than anyone else in the division.

If anyone's going to give GGG a test against a live opponent, he looks like a sound choice.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

RIP Sergio Martinez, I am not looking forward to your ghost being trotted out for a few paydays as your brain turns into mush

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i don't know why ggg vs ward isn't being made tbh. what's ward even doing? still trying to figure out how to use a passport?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

thehappyprince posted:

i don't know why ggg vs ward isn't being made tbh. what's ward even doing?

Suing his promoter.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

thehappyprince posted:

Al Haymon will not allow this

Lara may not be dreadfully exciting in the ring but he at least has the promotion side more down than, say, Rigondeaux. After all he was able to go from fighting Ishe Smith on Fox Sports 1 to headlining a pay per view with Canelo mainly because of stunts like this . But Lara is with Haymon so if he wins

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
Apropos of nothing, really, but:

Felix Trinidad posted:

Puerto Rican icon Felix "Tito" Trinidad, who this past weekend was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame, feels very confident about his ability to defeat Floyd Mayweather Jr. - if they collided at welterweight or junior middleweight.

Trinidad was asked if there was one active fighter that he would have liked to face in his era, and the fighter Trinidad selected was Mayweather. When Trinidad was a dominating force at welterweight, Mayweather was fighting several weight divisions below.

"I would have liked to fight [Mayweather]. At 147-pounds I proved to be the best. On 15 occasions I defended my title and in my 15th defense against Oscar De La Hoya I unified the title by decision," Trinidad told Hoy Deportes.

"I think I had everything [necessary] to beat Floyd Mayweather at 147 or at 154. With my boxing and my physical condition, fighting on the outside or the inside, if there were twelve rounds at some point I would have caught him.

Yes, I too think the take away from the DLH fight should be that you could spark Floyd.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The man who couldn't figure out a southpaw jab will surely solve the Floyd Mayweather Jr. puzzle.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I watched Trinidad Hopkins again a couple of months ago and I'd completely forgotten what a huge favorite Tito was in that fight.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Grittybeard posted:

I watched Trinidad Hopkins again a couple of months ago and I'd completely forgotten what a huge favorite Tito was in that fight.

That is one of my favorite 'clinical destruction' fights ever.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
The first pay per view I bought was Winky Wright vs Trinidad and even knowing nothing about boxing (not that I know anything know) it was kind of sad watching Trinidad have no answers for Wright.

The rest of the month actually looks pretty nice with televised events each week. Next week Provodnikov is back, week after that a more even card with Robert Guerrero's comeback, Alexander-Soto Karas and Lomachenko-Gary Russell Jr. 28th has Terence Crawford vs Yuriorkis Gamboa which could be a star maker for either.

EDIT: And GGG's english has gotten really good all of the sudden (skip to minute 23).

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/losangeles/play?id=11063469

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 11, 2014

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

Anyone wanna see RJJs dick? You can if you want to now, with a little looking.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

the text screen shots i saw are so funny. it's like 'if i can get it hard..'

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
I went to the international boxing hall of fame for the inductions last weekend.

Out of everybody there, Zab Judah was the coolest. At the Friday Night Fights taping and at the ibhof itself, with wave after wave of fat, white humanity crashing in upon him for autographs and photos, I never heard him be anything but courteous and respectful, even to that weird dude who kept asking him about a youtube clip he saw of Kosta Tszyu beating the poo poo out of him. "Yeah, well... I thank god that I've had more good days than bad days, ha ha ha ha ha." --Zab Judah to weird guy

Gotta believe that Zou Shiming was regretting his decision to wear black leather pants in the 85 degree heat. Maybe he was trying to cut weight or something. He followed Arum around most of the time and I think I was one of like fifteen people there who recognized him.

Puerto Ricans came up big at the event, playing drums and chanting TITO TITO TITO all the fuckin time

Best Speech Award goes to Oscar De La Hoya for throwing us a bone with a few lines about ending the cold war. A few hours previous, him and Arum were both inside the ibhof at the same time for about fifteen minutes (the building is the size of an efficiency apartment) so you could really picture them verbally agreeing to some Potsdam Conference kind of poo poo, but then later my friends brought up that everything is moving towards Oscar and Arum teaming up against the new Schaefer-Mayweather coalition and it kind of took some of the wind out of his speech.

Worst Speech Award goes to Richard Steele which took seven hours and totes gave me time to walk to mcdonalds and get a lemonade.

Not walking to mcdonalds was a grossly obese diabetic woman with a peg leg that I saw there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ForbiddenWonder posted:

Anyone wanna see RJJs dick? You can if you want to now, with a little looking.

He does the weigh in pose, it's great

• Locked thread