Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Fantastic as usual 9th but I would like to do some extended write ups (feature fighters, maybe Canelo-lara) to sharpen my writing mostly as time allows.

And goddamn Andy Lee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

We could trade off or something on the OP if you'd like haha. I'm also more than willing to put anything you write up into the OP later.

thanks man.

And you know you've had a bad round when you've been knocked down and you have a point taken away.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Oh my goodness

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Father time is about to go 1-1

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

thehappyprince posted:

Al Haymon will not allow this

Lara may not be dreadfully exciting in the ring but he at least has the promotion side more down than, say, Rigondeaux. After all he was able to go from fighting Ishe Smith on Fox Sports 1 to headlining a pay per view with Canelo mainly because of stunts like this . But Lara is with Haymon so if he wins

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
The first pay per view I bought was Winky Wright vs Trinidad and even knowing nothing about boxing (not that I know anything know) it was kind of sad watching Trinidad have no answers for Wright.

The rest of the month actually looks pretty nice with televised events each week. Next week Provodnikov is back, week after that a more even card with Robert Guerrero's comeback, Alexander-Soto Karas and Lomachenko-Gary Russell Jr. 28th has Terence Crawford vs Yuriorkis Gamboa which could be a star maker for either.

EDIT: And GGG's english has gotten really good all of the sudden (skip to minute 23).

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/losangeles/play?id=11063469

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 11, 2014

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Ninja PD posted:

Apparently a former kickboxer, Algieri's pretty funky for a white dude, but his defense isn't quite tight enough and his feet are half a step too slow not to get a taste of Provodnikov's power at some point tonight. Ruslan will eat shots barraging in but I don't think Chris has the power to do much with that, though he does have the physical advantages to where a smart jab could do a lot to control the action. Realistically the most interesting scenario is if Algieri can ride intense wave after wave to the scorecards, or throw lawn darts for which round he gets his block knocked off (probably the second half where his swagger cooled off against Emannuel Taylor). A buddy at work who swindled a 20 off me last weekend said Provodnikov may call out Pacquiao if he wins so there's that little tidbit to make tonight interesting also.

Had a big effort post planned for Provodnikov but :effort:

I will just say that Ruslan's shown that regardless of his opponent's plan he has a way of making the fight his fight. I don't think Algeri has the chops to just dance around and potshot for 36 minutes and when he gets caught he's probably going down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOmJvvtcQ1k

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Shocking when I heard but in retrospect not totally horrible considering Ruslan just totally died after the first round.

Juan Manuel Marquez is running to the phone right now to get Bob Arum on.

EDIT: Algeri is really just Mauricio Herrera 2.0 and while that may be good enough to get by a good fighter on their worst night does he really have a future as a champion? Could he competitive against Marquez or Bradley? I seriously doubt it.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 15, 2014

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Ninja PD posted:

I second this, especially with the shake up last night we could use fresh perspective.

Ill try but at least for i did want to say that one of the things that did bother me in Ruslan 's post fight comments was bemoaning Algeri "running". Part of why so many people fell in love with him as a fighter was he just had this attitude that he would do whatever it took to get the job done and to see him not even really go after it as he done against Bradley and Alvarado was very dissapointing. Although in hindsight predictable given how between the highlight reel stuff were multiple rounds he seemed to take off against both Bradley and Alvarado.

The same thing annoyed me as well when Maidana said the same after the Floyd; that he won because Floyd "did not fight like a man". There's certainly an argument for weighing effectiveness vs volume but to reduce to 'you made adjustments' to 'you're a pussy' always gets to me even as someone who favors action boxers.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
I realize that boxing isn't a bodybuilding contest but if-for some strange reason-you had hope of a Chad Dawson resurgence this weekend -have I got bad news for you.

(Left is the weigh-in for Stevenson-Dawnson, right is today's weigh-in)

EDIT: And came in overweight to boot

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/480155369634037761

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/480154963243708417

quote:

Dan Rafael's twitter

Purses for @GoldenBoyBoxing card on @SHOsports: Guerrero $1M, Kamegai $75k; Lomachenko 631,500, Russell 421k (via purse bid) (more)

More purses: Alexander $450k, Soto Karass 150k, Dawson $15k (but fined 3k for overweight), Blades 20k, Breazeale $12,500, Vargas $12,500

That Al Haymon magic.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 21, 2014

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

ozymandius1024 posted:

Vasyl Lomachenko is a loving beast. I seriously think that loss against Salido is the best thing that could've happened to him (though it pissed me off at the time)

:whatup: double post

A boxer with an amateur pedigree like Lomachenko's who can go to the body is a nightmare. Russell Jr was dominated but his hand speed is still among the best, he certainly has the ability to bounce back and be great as well.

Also CSAC please check to see if "Lisa Giampa" is actually CJ Ross wearing Groucho Marx glasses.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Nilbop posted:

This fight is frigging great.

The StubHub Center is like the Field of Dreams. So many great fights: Rios-Alvarado 1, Bradley-Provodnikov, Matthyse-John Molina and now this.

If they held next Mayweather fight there it would turn into a 12 round slugfest because there's something in the water and/or air there.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Someone please shop the Forums logo onto Broner's head tia.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2107026-adrien-broner-wrecks-scooter-on-streets-of-miami-crashes-into-parked-car

Interesting fight Saturday between Terence Crawford and Yuriorkis Gamboa in an effort to make Omaha the next fight capital of the world behind Macau. Crawford is definitely on the upswing and Gamboa's been so inactive (mostly due to 50 Cent constantly loving up his promotion) it's hard to pick. Crawford is probably rightfully a slight favorite but I find it hard to pick against Gamboa with conviction.

Also Golden Boy is suing Schaefer for 50 million, between this and the Main Events lawsuit against GBP/Haymon expect a lot of dirty laundry to be aired.

link

And I want to thank Al Haymon for creating the most absurd card ever and basically running Danny Garcia and Lamont Peterson's appeal (not that Peterson had any to begin with anyways) into the ground.

Dan Rafael posted:

Unified junior welterweight champion Danny Garcia and titleholder Lamont Peterson will appear on the same card in showcase defenses on Aug. 9 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York in what is expected to be a prelude to a unification fight later in the year.

Garcia and Peterson are each facing lesser opponents with little name recognition or accomplishment, however. Golden Boy Promotions announced on Tuesday that Garcia would make his sixth title defense when he faces unheralded Rod Salka in the main event of the Showtime-televised tripleheader while Peterson will make his third title defense when he meets Edgar Santana.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/11130762/danny-garcia-lamont-peterson-defend-titles-aug-9-card

The only interesting thing is that apparently Edgar Santana was once the head of a cocaine ring.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

doctor thodt posted:

Anybody watching this??

I am :kiddo: Gamboa started nice (which I didn't expect at all) but Crawford clocked him and that round ended nasty.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
This like a parallel universe Russell Jr-Lomachenko in that the more skilled amateur is abandoning his gameplan and suffering for it.

EDIT: Lmao a bout between two highly skilled boxers became rock em sock em robots and a star is born is Terence Crawford.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 29, 2014

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

ozymandius1024 posted:

News: Mayweather is going to rematch Maidana on Sept. 13

Views: Whatever

Rather Maidana 2 than Garcia, Khan, Thurman, Porter, Alexander, et al imo.

Then again he has a "big surprise" lined up for 2015

Floyd via Dan Rafael posted:

"Sept. 13, back to business, Marcos Maidana-Floyd Mayweather, part II," Mayweather said. "And then in May, I'm fighting in May and I'll have a big surprise for y'all."

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/11164201/floyd-mayweather-jr-says-fight-marcos-maidana-again-sept-13

My money is on a shot at the Cotto-Canelo/Lara winner to be the lineal 160 champ but I would but money on 5 to 1 or shorter odds that it's Amir Khan at Wembley

EDIT:

ozymandius1024 posted:

Sorry man, Keith Thurman loving Owns.

I think he can be great too-although I rate Porter a bit ahead of him based solely on competition-but is a win over Julio Diaz really enough to get a Mayweather fight?

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 2, 2014

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
As a fan of the sport I think Al Haymon's invovlement is-at least for now-more of a problem than a solution but apparently some-including Ali biographer Thomas Hauser who wrote this piece in boxingscene- apparently believe he is going to come out to the ring during Canelo-Lara and declare himself emperor of boxing.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=79627

Some bullet points:
-Pressured the New York Times into favorably editing this piece by Greg Bishop in 2012.
-Took over as manager from Sam Simon (Simpsons co-creator) as manager of Lamont Brewster after he knocked out Wlad and became world champion. Covered up medical records to keep him fighting after detached retina in a subsequent bout and now Brewster is functionally blind.
-Through Richard Schafer, attempted to purchase Golden Boy Promotions. Has his own company, Haymon Sports LLC, which will try (somehow) get into promotional business. Already appears to have inroads to putting content on NBC.
-Has allegedly used the alias "Brian K. Pitts"

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Mauricio Herrera owns

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
In retrospect this fight was virtually un winnable for Lara. Canelo was always going to get the benefit of every close round and Lara was never going to stop him or even get a knockdown.

I favor body work more than is warranted by judging criteria but so I had Canelo 115-113 but a draw and the same result for Lara are all reasonable. Queensberry Rules is basically spot in that if Canelo had done more-especially continue to go after the eye after the cut in the 7th round-than it wouldn't be a disputed decision. Conversely if Lara had pressed his speed advantage than he could overcome even the A-side advantage.

Cotto-Canelo has to be a stone lock and I would like to see Angulo-Lara 2 to gauge where they're both at.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Geale is pretty much the best of the second tier-really anyone ranked in an alphabet top 10 who's not Miguel Cotto or Gennady Golovkin-of middleweights with Matthew Macklin, Felix Sturm, Sam Soliman, Martin Murray, et al. But I really can't see anything other than total domination by Golovkin unless his father's death did messed him up mentally and at least from his media appearances that doesn't seem to be the case.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11x1nk_gennady-golovkin-vs-matthew-macklin_sport - Golovkin-Macklin
http://vimeo.com/78448702 - Golovkin- Curtis Stevens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YulN9sZ1oiA - Geale-Sturm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0FdXQLPig0&t=19s Road to Golovkin-Geale

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 15, 2014

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Dereck Chisora broke his hand and is out of the Tyson Fury rematch planned for Saturday

http://www.boxingscene.com/chisora-fractures-hand-withdraws-from-fury-rematch--80163

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

balancedbias posted:

So I'm killing time in a hotel room right now, noticed FNF was on. Hey, Mike Lee is fighting! Who is Mike Lee? He was in a Subway commercial or 2. I still didn't know who he was, and for good reason. This is 13th pro fight, and first since 2010.

What I really want to know is, how the hell did he get those Subway commercials?!! Kickass sleazy agent? Bedfellows with someone in the company? I mean it makes no sense :psyduck:

So while everyone's waiting to see just how GGG will make Geale a good boy-I'm picking a mid to late round stoppage like everyone else but I'm not really all that confident about it just because-I'm actually more intrigued by Bryant Jennings and Mike Perez. Jennings doesn't have nearly the power of Deontay Wilder but he's already proven himself against much stiffer competition and isdefinitely more likely of the two of them to have actual staying power since he knows how to win other than just landing bomb right hands. Perez is maybe even more interesting because there's really no telling where his head is. Obviously what he did to Magomed Abdusalamov had a profound effect on him (as you would expect) and he looked totally out of it against Carlos Takam and really should've lost. Abdusalamov seems to be recovering as could be and that might help Perez get back into it a bit. If he's in the right state of mind this seems close to pick 'em but if not Perez probably needs to get out of the sport before he gets hurt badly himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJxANHztmEg - Perez vs Abdusalamov
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjhpoozIcTQ - Jennings vs Artur Spilka
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSUS4WpLj04 - Jennings vs Andrey Fedosov
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXkkuObGr3o - Perez vs Travis Walker

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 26, 2014

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
"Well gently caress this" - Daniel Geale

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Troy Queef posted:

Flush right to the face, meet flush right to the face from GGG.

Literally like those Bugs Bunny cartoons with the escalating weapons except GGG goes straight for the nuke

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
If Cotto were to bypass Canelo for GGG then he'd have my undying respect forever even if he got one shotted in the first round.

Also Golovkin-Kovalev back to back weeks :fap: and Diego Chaves-Brandon Rios has war written all over it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x13pc5d_keith-thurman-vs-diego-gabriel-chaves_sport

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah that might have come off stronger than I intended it to, I just meant if there's something to argue about with refs Saturday it was that.

I agree that the HBO guys went overboard whining about it. The timing with it happening in the last round makes it awkward/unfortunate but that isn't really the ref's fault.

Even if Perez had fought a totally clean fight lthrowing like that after a break is a bad enough foul that it warranted an immediate point. Really though Harvey Dock probably should have had a taken point for the repated pushing Jennings head down and/or holding.

Lampely especially can get pretty salty if a fight is boring/not loving up to expectation. A pretty clear example is when he was really critical of Terence Crawford versus Klimov after having to call the debacle of Wlad-Povietkin earlier in the day. And with Vitali out and Wlad (eventually) being out there seems to be a feeling that after this sort of decade of darkness that new heavyweights that don't make you want to gouge your eyes out need to emerge for boxing to reemerge as a mass appeal sport.

That puts a lot pressure on Jennings (and Deontay Wilder in the us and Fury and Chisora in the Uk) to succeed and actually give people hope that one of them has something, anything that can make heavyweight just watchable.

EDIT: And if you were wondering where Roy Jones Jr. was on Saturday why he was in Latvia of course. Stopping some guy named Courtney Fry but mainly he was rapping. Yeah.

http://www.badlefthook.com/2014/7/28/5945199/roy-jones-jr-raps-after-tkoing-courtney-fry

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 29, 2014

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

ozymandius1024 posted:

Wow, so an almost 50 year old B-Hop has bigger balls than Superman.

Get hosed Adonis. (and please win tomorrow, Mr. Kovalev)

Can't wait Hopkins-Carparello :allears:

Kovalev-Hopkins-Stevenson seems rock paper scissors in a way. Kovalev is too relentless to fooled with the smoke and mirrors like Murat, Shumenov that I think he'll stop Hopkins or he'll try to foul out. Hopkins can probably tool Stevenson to a decision since-in the words of Curtis Stevens he doesn't seem strong enough mentally-and lacks the sheer aggressiveness that Kovalev has to force his way through. That being said Kovalev-Stevenson would be a two true outcome fight and would be a total 50-50 based on what both have shown so far.

Also, Diego Chaves-Brandon Rios got saved thanks to Harry Reid and assuming Chaves isn't totally drained from the late travel it should be a nice little war. Regardless Rios-Alvarado III is almost a certainty unless he just totally gets blown out by Chaves.

EDIT: And apropos of nothing here's my top 20 p4p

1) Floyd
2) Manny
3a) Rigondeaux
3b) Klitschko
3c) Ward (will drop off after November)
6) GGG
7) Tim Bradley
8) Miguel Cotto
9) Juan Manuel Marquez
10) Carl Froch
11) Vasyl Lomachenko
12) Roman Gonzalez
13) Canelo Alvarez
14) Terence Crawford
15) Danny Garcia
16) Mikey Garcia (also will drop in November)
17) Shawn Porter/Kell Brook winner
18) Erislandy Lara
19) Marcos Maidana
20) Nicholas Walters

Lionel Richie posted:

The gently caress's Lomachenko doing there

Projection-just like people who had GGG on their lists last year. Based on his amateur pedigree and progression I think we're looking at someone who in a year or two will be the top dog of 126/130

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 2, 2014

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
That jab to the body again.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Rios-Chaves already owns as expected.

Also, that chick in the black in Chaves's corner :pervert:

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
What a shame

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
At this point I would rather see Laurence Cole as a ref than Drakulich. What a loving joke.

Also this me right now.

https://vine.co/v/M9mvTm93OvK

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Gregor Samsa posted:

Just saw that Rod Salka is +1400 against Danny Garcia. Even though Danny is likely to get a decision no matter how poo poo he fights, it might be worth :10bux: in light of his performance against Herrera.

Garcia has a tendency to fight down to his level of competition which is why he looked so different against say Zab Judah than against Matthyse but honestly Salka is such an absurd step back in competition that 14-1 doesn't even seem like a good bet. I mean we're talking Tyson - Douglas levels of an upset if Salka were to pull it off.

Edit: Also there's some pretty clear evidence that Diego Chaves was indeed thumbing Brandon Rios' eye which unfortunately exonerates Vic Drakulich.
That being said if they were to rematch on (for example) Pacquiao - Algeri under card the back and forth could be epic.

http://bloguin.com/queensberryrules/2014-articles/rios-vs-chaves-results-brandon-rios-wins-by-controversial-disqualification.html

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 5, 2014

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Per boxing scene Canelo is eyeing a December return against James Kirkland in San Antonio or LA. To me this is more dangerous than Lara since while Lara could/did make Canelo look bad at times there wasn't the potential that he could be stone put out as there is with Kirkland especially since an 8 figure mega fight with Cotto is there even without another fight in between. Man continues to earn my respect.

http://www.boxingscene.com/team-canelo-eye-james-kirkland-clash-december--80787

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Danny Garcia,

Way to show that you're ready to be a pound for pound guy by sparking a not 25 guy two weight classes below you.

Love,

The SituAsian

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

ozymandius1024 posted:

I dunno, I thought a juiced Peterson beating him was funnier.

Garcia will move up and Lamont Peterson will defeat-oh let's say-Karim Mayfield for the vacant belts and will become the lineal junior welterweight champion.

Speaking of champions getting uncrowned Dan Goosen may be soon stripped of his title as pound for pound promotional contract arbitration champion

Some thing called boxingobserver posted:

Exclusive: We can reveal that undefeated current super-middleweight king Andre Ward has sensationally agreed to face Danish boxing star Mikkel Kessler over in Denmark. Reports in Denmark indicate that both camps have agreed terms for the unexpected sequel and the fight will be announced within the next 24 hours.

http://www.theboxingobserver.com/2014/08/andre-ward-agrees-to-face-mikkel-kessler-in-denmark-hbo-and-danish-ppb-to-air-rematch/

Could be interesting if true only because while they're both still at the top of 168 it's really hard to say where either Ward or Kessler even is these days.

EDIT

The Ninth Layer posted:

Ward wins more widely in my opinion. Kessler had a good showing last year against Froch but I don't think it was enough to suggest he's beating one of the best boxers in the world.

I didn't even watch the Garcia-Salka fight over streams because I knew it would be an embarrassment to the sport. It was a big tip-off to the quality of that fight when even the sanctioning bodies didn't want to call it a title fight.

On the subject of the WBA I managed to catch Sportscenter sometime after the fight and one of the anchors (Robert Flores) was doing some sort of 'Hero the day' thing and chose Danny Jacobs. And why not since we know he's no top tier middleweight still coming back from cancer to achieve in a sport-especially something as grueling as prize fighting is something to be celebrated. Still, it was nice to hear Flores preface his comments with the fact that while Danny Jacobs accomplished something wonderful that "this sanctioning body regularly creates belts to drum up sanctioning fees" and "make no mistake, Gennady Golovkin is the real middleweight belt holder but.." was great to hear from more mainstream sports media which either highlight the negative or more often ignore boxing altogether.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 12, 2014

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Gregor Samsa posted:

GGG is reportedly all set to beat Marco Antonio Rubio to death in November, as it appears essentially nobody else between 154 and 168 wants to deal with him.

Other than Sergio Mora there's really nothing out there-especially since Sam Soliman decided to defend his version of the belt against Jermain Taylor (!)-so it's really the best possibility. Being so active probably works against him since he's scrambling for opponents every 3 months but unless he moves up (which he shouldn't have to do until he's ready) or shows real weakness it's just going to be more of the same.

At least this weekend's Porter-Brook card won't make people want to gouge their eyes out. Porter like most search and destroy guys can get wild and if anyone can use the jab to keep Porter at bay it's Brook. On the other hand if he can get hurt by a wobbled Vyacheslav Senchenko and really putting Paulie to the sword in a way that Khan, Cotto and Hatton can't be overstated. I think Porter gets countered early as he tries to find an opening but something big lands that hurts Brook by the mid to late rounds and Porter goes on to get the stoppage.

If you want violence BKB-formerly Bare Knuckle Boxing now Big Knockout Boxing will be having their first ever Pay Per view headlined by Bryan Vera vs Gabriel Rosado for some belt that's honestly as legitimate as any WBA regular continental whatever. Main differences are the 5 or 7 2 minute rounds, judging weighted towards action (whatever that means) and fights occur in a 17 foot "pit" with safety zones. I got into combat sports being a big supporter of Pride FC so I love(d) my violence in fighting and maybe it's just getting older but there's something unsettling about BKB. Maybe it's also that they've chosen the two ideal combatants for this type of fighting and whoever loses is probably going to get massacred.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/11356874/bryan-vera-gabriel-rosado-go-title-big-knockout-boxing

EDIT:

Aubergine Mage posted:

Actions might refer to workrate.

I would think so too I guess the reason why I added whatever that means is it's unclear (to me at least) how it would lead to demonstrably different results than traditional boxing scoring.

EDIT2: Also it might not last but Denis Shafikov and Rustam Nugaev are throwing over 125 punches a round each on Friday night Fights :wow:

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 16, 2014

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
At this point I'm kind of over the drug testing thing in boxing as a whole. Not because I want to excuse their use-especially in a combat sport-but if major leagues like MLB, NFL, etc. are constantly falling short of the mark with their testing than it's just going to be that much worse with a decentralized and fringe sport like boxing.

And while Porter's most visually impressive win is over Paulie his most impressive overall has to be Devon Alexander who he really whipped the no one else had before him. While I favor Porter for the reasons already stated I don't hold Brook's lack of competition against him in that it's really part of a larger trend in boxing as a whole in "Haymon era" and it's not like the figthers who could build up his resume are willing to fight on Eddie Hearn (Frank Warren?)'s terms. Just another symptom of how things are in the business.

Also tonight Sakio Bika defends his version of he 168 belt against the less talented but more healthy Dirrell brother Anthony in a rematch. Bika may be a second tier supermiddleweight which since he's with Haymon is enough to get some belt but he is pound for pound married to a homely looking woman champion. Deontay Wilder took a stay busy fight on less than a week's notice and should annihilate his journeyman opponent.

To be reminded of a better time in boxing's history SI put up a huge large retrospective of photographer Neil Leifer's work with some of the sport's most iconic images.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Ninja PD posted:

Did Deontay do a kill?

Leo Santa Cruz' childhood dream was to be on a big undercard, he says.

The last minute of the 8th of Estrada/Figueoira was some sweet poo poo.

4th round and afterwards-which I'm assuming you caught-talking about how he didn't want a quick knockout since he wouldn't get credit and whatever.

Bika-Dirrell is turning into a bigger, somehow even less appealing Rios-Chaves

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Can't argue with that Porter gassed super hard and his brawling was smothered in a way few expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
There's been some talk that Juan Manuel Marquez wanted the winner so that could be interesting.

And Gabe Rosado apparently knocked out (appropriately enough) Bryan Vera in BKB so good on him for getting some sort of belt after god knows how many tries

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVUTjo8K-Gg

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 17, 2014

• Locked thread