Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think we can all agree that Littlefinger should be King because you can't win the Game of Thrones by being squeezed out of a lucky vagina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Stannis owns, but if he was ever king, Littlefinger would scheme a way to kill his dumb rear end in about 2 weeks.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Ginette Reno posted:

Stannis is super rigid about law and duty but he does have some adaptability to him. Show smarts and ability and he'll give you a position of merit. Stannis made a friggin' smuggler into his hand because he recognized Davos' intelligence and worth.

Killing his brother wasn't wrong. His brother was trying to usurp his rightful claim to the throne. Renly was going to kill Stannis unless Stannis bent the knee to him. Stannis was perfectly justified in defending himself in the only way he could since he would have been trounced by Renly's massive army.

Plus Stephen Dillane absolutely kills it every time he's on screen so if you're not rooting for the Mannis I don't know what's wrong with you. He had me at thousands.

I mean, if you wanna ignore the fact that even Stannis felt really iffy about it, calls it murder, and refuses to talk to Davos about it, sure. But Renly could have easily killed Stannis, but didn't, because killing family is hosed up even in Westeros. Sure, Renly would've beaten him, but kill him? No way.

And Stannis also killed his brother in law for not converting, and violated Gendry's guest right. He's a dick, and would make a pretty bad king. But hey, like him all you want, I guess. Even as he sacrifices a little girl to a blood god.

His letter about the kids was pretty great, to be sure.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Stannis is super rigid about law and duty but he does have some adaptability to him. Show smarts and ability and he'll give you a position of merit. Stannis made a friggin' smuggler into his hand because he recognized Davos' intelligence and worth.

Killing his brother wasn't wrong. His brother was trying to usurp his rightful claim to the throne. Renly was going to kill Stannis unless Stannis bent the knee to him. Stannis was perfectly justified in defending himself in the only way he could since he would have been trounced by Renly's massive army.

Plus Stephen Dillane absolutely kills it every time he's on screen so if you're not rooting for the Mannis I don't know what's wrong with you. He had me at thousands.

Yeah, I'm pretty much declaring myself Team Stannis from here on out, unless Daenerys pulls her head out of her rear end or Tyrion somehow gets into a position of power.

Do we know for sure that it was Stannis that killed Renly? I know the spirit looked like him, but as far as I remember it was the smoky monster from LOST coming out of Melisandre's vagina that actually did the deed. I figured it just looked like Stannis because he, also, did the deed. :quagmire:

Either way, you also have to give him props for taking advantage of the clean method when he can. Going along with a scheme to assassinate Renly instead of going toe-to-toe with him, intending to sacrifice Gendry in order to avoid more battles, and I'm sure if he could have avoided Blackwater he would have. And when the throne wasn't rightfully his, he was off in his corner of Westeros minding his own drat business and doing his job.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Fryhtaning posted:

Do we know for sure that it was Stannis that killed Renly? I know the spirit looked like him, but as far as I remember it was the smoky monster from LOST coming out of Melisandre's vagina that actually did the deed. I figured it just looked like Stannis because he, also, did the deed. :quagmire:

Pretty sure she's kind of a succubus. She needs some jizz and a little bit of "life force" or something to make them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Elephanthead posted:

I think we can all agree that Littlefinger should be King because you can't win the Game of Thrones by being squeezed out of a lucky vagina.
If Littlefinger was king he'd get bored in three months and burn down half of Westeros just to have some chaos to exploit.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

It was Stannis' king's powerjizz she used to birth the shadow assassin thing. That's why he grabbed her and told her to give him "another child" before she left on a boat that one time, but she said he wasn't strong enough to go through it again. He knew what he was doing.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

If he had to chop off Davos' fingers for smuggling food, shouldn't Stannis have to chop off his dick for forsaking his marriage vows

It wasn't the smuggling he did during the siege he was punished for - it was the twenty or so years of smuggling he did before it. And then he raised Davos to knight and they broed out.

But Stannis should chop off his Mannis, aye.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I have been trying to finish this thread to make sure my hilarious comments aren't repeats, but it seems I am always 200 posts behind so here are my hilarious observations:

On page 22 someone asked why were they using flaming arrows, and peeps were saying they were good for setting buildings on fire, and using them as tracers. I think he correct answer is, "Because they're hot, you twit... it'll huuuurt more."

Someone mentioned the Iron Bank financing 2 wars that can't be paid back. Seems to me Dany is in striking range of Braavos if she so chose... wouldn't it be hilarious if she took the city, and the Iron Bank, and ended up winning an economic victory over Westeros?

And....

Peeps keep saying, "Why did the wildlings Do *this*, and why did they do *that*... it isn't tactically sound" from not sending enough giants, to not sending in a strike force with the gate lifting giant into the tunnel, to not sending enough men over the wall a couple miles away, to storming the castle with their best leaders... well, it seems to me that characters on the show have said at least twice that wildlings cannot win an assault on the wall, because they just aren't organized. So. The reason they fight like poo poo is because they aren't an army, they are a civilization running south away from monsters.

Also, Red had it coming.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

GORDON posted:

Peeps keep saying, "Why did the wildlings Do *this*, and why did they do *that*... it isn't tactically sound" from not sending enough giants, to not sending in a strike force with the gate lifting giant into the tunnel, to not sending enough men over the wall a couple miles away, to storming the castle with their best leaders... well, it seems to me that characters on the show have said at least twice that wildlings cannot win an assault on the wall, because they just aren't organized. So. The reason they fight like poo poo is because they aren't an army, they are a civilization running south away from monsters.

Jon specifically gives the reason why they didn't do all the "tactically sound" stuff. Mance was just testing the waters, sending a few eager bodies to see what the Night's Watch had in them. While they may not be a disciplined army, Mance has certainly organized them somewhat and taught them a few of the Crow's tricks.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

GORDON posted:

The reason they fight like poo poo is because they aren't an army, they are a civilization running south away from monsters.

This is a good point. I wonder how many of the 100,000 are actually combat-capable warriors and how many are children/old people/ill/disabled? I'm assuming wilding women fight, since the show features two fighting wildling women(Ygritte, Osha).

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

This is a good point. I wonder how many of the 100,000 are actually combat-capable warriors and how many are children/old people/ill/disabled? I'm assuming wilding women fight, since the show features two fighting wildling women(Ygritte, Osha).

You could see a few women in the crowd of jeering wildings at the edge of the forest before the battle started.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
I think Mance was banking on the southern force winning and opening the gates, and sent the small northern force as more of a distraction to keep the crows on the wall. He knows casualties will be huge if he goes for an all-out attack so he tried the sneaky route first.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Bobo the Red posted:

I mean, if you wanna ignore the fact that even Stannis felt really iffy about it, calls it murder, and refuses to talk to Davos about it, sure. But Renly could have easily killed Stannis, but didn't, because killing family is hosed up even in Westeros. Sure, Renly would've beaten him, but kill him? No way.

And Stannis also killed his brother in law for not converting, and violated Gendry's guest right. He's a dick, and would make a pretty bad king. But hey, like him all you want, I guess. Even as he sacrifices a little girl to a blood god.

His letter about the kids was pretty great, to be sure.

Renly never had a chance to kill Stannis, so we don't know if he would have. The battle that would determine if he had a chance was going to occur the day he was assassinated.

Point on killing his brother in law, I suppose, but he never gave Gendry guest right. There's a specific ritual to Guest Right, and bread and salt were not offered, merely food. To a :spergin: like Stannis this matters.

We'll see whether he sacrifices Shireen or not.

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."

Haam posted:

I think Mance was banking on the southern force winning and opening the gates, and sent the small northern force as more of a distraction to keep the crows on the wall. He knows casualties will be huge if he goes for an all-out attack so he tried the sneaky route first.

How the heck do I get an avatar as epic as yours?

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Either figure out how my av is hosted on the site and try it yourself or pm Ozma about it, she might upload a bigav of your choosing to the site if you shell out the $5 and if she likes you

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Y'all are simply trying to get people to read more spoiler avatars with that avatar chat, aren't you?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CapnAndy posted:

If Littlefinger was king he'd get bored in three months and burn down half of Westeros just to have some chaos to exploit.

Nah, that's not really his style. He's just turn his attention to the rest of the world.

I could totally picture him going "Why settle for being king of one continent, when I could be king of them all?"

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Been reflecting on the first season and am now speculating. Been wondering if the First Ranger dude is gonna show up this week tied into Mance somehow.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?

bowser posted:

Iwan Rheon (Ramsey Snow Bolton)?

He will always be Simon from Misfits to me - no matter how far he takes the whole medieval s&m thing.

Also Grey Worms song is cool althought a bit windy

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Jedimastafez posted:

He will always be Simon from Misfits to me - no matter how far he takes the whole medieval s&m thing.

Also Grey Worms song is cool althought a bit windy

No joke, that bit where Theon thinks he's escaping and meets Ramsay, all I could think was "Save me, Barry!"

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Kinda bummed that Varys hasn't had more screen time this season. His conversations with Tyrion and Littlefinger were always some of the most interesting parts of the show for me. Not a book reader so I'm not sure where his character is headed but I'm hoping both he and Bronn stick around. Unsure about Bronn being that he more or less gave a farewell speech before the trial by combat. Most of this season has just been shots of Varys looking on approvingly of the dumb poo poo Joffrey is doing or at the result of the battle between Oberyn and The Mountain. Oh and a few lines during Tyrion's trial, so there's that.

But then again it being Game Of Thrones I wouldn't be surprised of Varys, Bronn, The Hound, Brienne and every other character I like got murdered in the finale.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
I know the Lannisters have all the money and are obsessed with power, but the White Walkers are a better representation of the jews because they're pure evil.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I don't understand what's happening, but I think this show is causing people to just break mentally. We had the dude posting spoilers in here and another person who just went insane in the spoiler thread, and now this:

Buckwild Dorf posted:

I know the Lannisters have all the money and are obsessed with power, but the White Walkers are a better representation of the jews because they're pure evil.

What the hell is going on?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Buckwild Dorf posted:

Oh sweet Sumerian child...

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Buckwild Dorf posted:

Hey...

We don't know if the White Walkers are pure evil yet

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

whowhatwhere posted:

His only heir that's not pickled? The Iron bank might not approve

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Max posted:

What the hell is going on?

GoT is a passion-play from the perspective of 1920s Germany.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

whowhatwhere posted:

Renly never had a chance to kill Stannis, so we don't know if he would have. The battle that would determine if he had a chance was going to occur the day he was assassinated.

Point on killing his brother in law, I suppose, but he never gave Gendry guest right. There's a specific ritual to Guest Right, and bread and salt were not offered, merely food. To a :spergin: like Stannis this matters.

It's not required that it's bread and salt, only that you eat at their table. It's why acts like feeding prisoners do not invoke guest right.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Bobo the Red posted:

They don't. Not that we've seen, anyway. It does make sense that they would, since the Reach and the Stormlands are the only the regions that touch Dorne.

Black of hair. Goodness. It's like you've never seen Jon Snow

Not actually a spoiler, don't worry

Imagine if a Bolton or Snow (or both :V) was struck with full-head (or a large shock of) poliosis in that day and age; They'd all think the poor kid a Targaryen.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Recap for episode 9 is out

Most people already know this, but recaps tend to hint at what's going to happen in the next episode so :siren:don't watch it if you want to go into episode 10 completely blind:siren:

IncendiaC fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 14, 2014

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Seconding :siren: don't watch it :siren:, or the "Previously on..." on Sunday before the show, for optimum :asoiaf:.

If you're a reasonably intelligent person you would not need any reminders.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

pigdog posted:

Seconding :siren: don't watch it :siren:, or the "Previously on..." on Sunday before the show, for optimum :asoiaf:.

If you're a reasonably intelligent person you would not need any reminders.

Yeah, the spoiler in this one is bigger than seeing Selmy in the one for S3E1.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Jedimastafez posted:

His character's name was Barry, though? :confused:

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Lycus posted:

If Stannis's wife were to die too, I'm 99% sure that the Tyrells would say "Heeeey, Stannis, you wanna marry Margery?"

Well that image is simply terrifying in light of Margery's power-hungry nature. I'm sure she could seduce and manipulate Stannis just as easily as Mels did, but she'd probably have to get into the Red God bullshit. Would Margery burn people alive just to be "the" Queen? Stannis wouldn't be Joffrey, there wouldn't be any distracting him from the madness.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Getting into Stannis-style mass executions seems really against Margaery's character. She's power hungry, sure, but she's consistently tried to build her power on a foundation of being loved.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Someone once argued that Stannis is the Mitt Romney of Westeros, and this just never stops being relevant to me. He can make whatever rational arguments he wants, and try his damnedest to demonstrate why he's the right choice. But nobody likes that guy, all the way down to his cultish religion.

I don't think anyone's so much on his side, as reluctantly resigned to the rational truth of his argument. "Yeah...yeah, I guess you should be king. Sure." His greatest strength is that he isn't literally a psychopath; he's the Heineken of rulers...not great, but inoffensive enough to drink and probably available.

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Getting into Stannis-style mass executions seems really against Margaery's character. She's power hungry, sure, but she's consistently tried to build her power on a foundation of being loved.

That's why I'm rooting for the Tyrell-backed Tommen monarchy to continue. Sure they're powerhungry plotters, but they're worldly, reasonable, and they definitely subscribe to the "make them love you, not fear you" philosophy.

If you watch the Tyrell history and lore video, it seems they take pride in their origins as stewards and take their role in feeding the realm seriously. They've consistently shown a willingness to bend the knee to protect their people from strife.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

IncendiaC posted:

Recap for episode 9, don't read the comments as usual:

Most people already know this, but recaps tend to hint at what's going to happen in the next episode so :siren:don't watch it if you want to go into episode 10 completely blind:siren:

Seriously, please don't watch this no matter what and don't watch the recap at the beginning of the episode either.

You should take out the link. This one is worse than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
I watched it anyway and aside from 1 character I had kind of forgotten about, all of it is poo poo I expected to get resolved / followed up on this episode anyway. What's the big deal?

• Locked thread