Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013
I never looked at any of these OPs before but what the gently caress happened to Kovarro and all those other Dothraki?

Red wine is the only GoT drink, in memoriam of Prince Oberyn.

EDIT: what liquors do they have in Westeros? Gin, one assumes.

thecolorpurple fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013

a cop posted:

Why gin? Is that one of the things that was common in horse times? There's definitely wine, as wine appears in the scene in which Jorah Mormont saves Danyeryes Targaerean from Poisoned Wine. Wine is also present in the scene in which King Robert Baratheon drinks wine, as well as the famous "gently caress the water" scene.

The fookin legend is a native of "Gin Alley."

I'm planning on making a bunch of poo poo inspired by the "Feast of Ice and Fire" cookbook for the final episode party. The food and drink culture of these different kingdoms is kind of interesting.

thecolorpurple fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 8, 2014

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013

Alberto Basalm posted:

I can tell you for a fact drinking a whole box of wine does NOT hydrate me

Wine in pre-safe water days was typically watered down/mixed with all sorts of other poo poo. Today's wine is more the 12% range.

Tomorrow night, take a drink every time Jon Snow looks on, mouth agape.

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013

Doubtful Guest posted:

So now that Oberyn is gone, who do you think Tywin will put on the Small Council in his place?

It's currently Tywin, Cersei, Varys, Pycelle and Mace Tyrell, right? Is Littlefinger on it, but on holiday or something? Did he have a legitimate excuse for not being at Joffrey's wedding or Tommen's coronation?

Tywin putting Oberyn on it was clearly a sop to Dorne, but I don't know how keen they'll be to send another Prince of Dorne up. If I were Tywin I wouldn't want to fill it with too many Tyrells (so I guess Loras is out.) I can't think of many more viable candidates - as fun as Bronn would be up there.

Who is the current Master of Coin now that Tyrion's left? I know Tywin was talking to Cersei about the lack of gold under Casterley Rock, but is he also the one hiding the angry red letters from the Iron Bank telling him that his loan is still outstanding?

The Master of Coin position is currently vacant, I think. It's traditionally King (Queen Regent Cersei), Hand (Ned-Tyrion-Tywin), Whispers (Varys), Grand Maester (Pycelle), Ships (Stannis-Mace lol), Lord Commander of the Kingsguard/Wildcard (Robert didn't trust Selmy so this was Renly-vacant-Oberyn) and Coin was Baelish then Tyrion.

Ironically, Kevan Lannister or one of the tolerable Freys would be logical choices, to me. The Freys are rich from tolling their bridge, and Tywin could make a big show of hearing the truth from whatever Frey lacky he picks, publicly punish Walder, and then install the "honorable" Frey in his place.

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013
Tormund is a loving scary man. Scarier than the Thenns.

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013
Is Tormund supposed to be second-in-command? I thought it was more just a bunch of badasses with their own crews each serving Mance. Tormund has his guys and Styr has his guys and the Lord of Bones has his guys and they all hate eachother, but some Thenns will listen to Tormund if Mance says "go over the Wall and help Tormund." Tormund gets to chill in Mance's tent because he's a tight bro, not because he's higher in rank.

If Tormund's second-in-command of the whole 100,000 dudes and not just the equivalent of a special forces captain, that attack makes less sense.

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013

thathonkey posted:

The show hasn't really defied expectations since the first surprise killing of a "main" character. They've just been doing that over and over again, mostly with increasingly minor characters (eg. Viper... could've been a more important character... except they killed him before they had a chance to establish him as such). But I assume that is just based directly on GRRM's lovely writing.

LOL that lovely writer with the net worth of 50 million who can literally do anything he wants all day and get anything he writes published and read, who makes bank from HBO royalties, whose stories I regularly post about on the internet, what a loser fat oval office failure of an author.

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

I don't think it's a stretch to assume the Wildlings have the knowledge to build rowboats. And they wouldn't have to send their entire army by ship. One raiding party nearly managed to conquer Castle Black by assaulting from the south. Imagine what a few hundred more Wildlings would have done.

Eastwatch-by-the-Sea still has its fighting men. I assume that sending enough men around to be worthwhile would be easily noticeable by the dudes whose whole job is to interdict people trying to go around the Wall, since they have better ships. They also mention that there are now wights that hang out at the bottom of the ocean and gently caress up boats.

Since this isn't show-knowledge I guess we're supposed to just assume that Mance is using a reasonably good plan because he's Mance. I think it would've helped if they stressed that Tormund and co. were extremely loyal to Mance. "If I sent more with you they'd be like to kill and you and run off as soon as they were south of the Wall." Establish that there's no more raiding parties because the vast majority of the army can't be trusted to not desert at the first chance for safety.

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013

Bobo the Red posted:

Ned could have sent him back to Mormont, who would have at least have listened to the story before killing him.

That kid had more cause than anyone to run. He literally saw a creature of nightmare, something no one had faced in thousands of years. He might have chilled out after a while longer; we will never know.

He was also probably forced to be in the Night's Watch; he wasn't loving Jon Snow who thought it'd be some great adventure. gently caress, we saw someone who had to join the Watch because they were gonna be molested, and another one who was gonna be killed. If vows and proclamations made under duress mean anything, then I guess Ned really was a traitor who wanted the throne for himself, and his death was clean and just.

We also see 10x as many who are rapists and murderers who have basically received a stay of execution in exchange for serving. Hell, from what we see, the Jontourage are friends BECAUSE they're the decent dudes in what amounts to a penal battalion of horrific killers. The Fookin Legend, Rast, Ser Alliser, loving Rorge and Biter if not for those guardsmen.

If you let known deserters get away with it, as said, you're destroying the entire concept of "taking the black."

thecolorpurple fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 11, 2014

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013

Vivek posted:

Ned didn't spare Jorah. From season 1: "I fought beside them once, long ago. Now Ned Stark wants my head. He drove me from my land."

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Jorah_Mormont

This implies that Jorah was expected to take the black, so perhaps both are true- Ned showed mercy by ordering him to the Night's Watch, but Jorah fled instead, earning himself a death sentence.

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013

Andrew Verse posted:

Ned Stark was going to behead Jorah in front of his family and friends. He could've fled and sneaked off to the Night's Watch, but he was still madly in love with his wife and chose to sneak off into exile with her, instead. He was selling poachers to slavery to satisfy her expensive tastes in the first place.

In the book, but in the show Jorah has stated both that Ned showed mercy and that Ned wanted his head.

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013

Andrew Verse posted:

You're going to have to quote the part where Ned offers him mercy.

edit: right, earlier this season. The wiki says that Ned showed him mercy, but in the scene all he says "if Ned Stark had done to me what you plan to do to the slavers". There's different kinds of ifs here: if he showed mercy, or if he had got to Bear Island before Jorah managed to flee.

Yeah I don't really know what he's referring to in the scene but it seemed to me like he meant Ned had the chance to kill him but didn't. It's not clear though.

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013

Light-Bearer posted:

Varys's and Illyrio's original scheme was to get Viserys on the throne, not Dany. But he was an idiot and got golded to death.

Which raises the question of why someone as seemingly intelligent as Varys would put an ounce of faith in someone as obviously terrible as Viserys.

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013
All this succession chat has made me notice that all the major houses are really really small. The Lannisters are the only ones that seem to have any cousins or lesser branches.

Ned's siblings all died except for celibate Benjen, but apparently there's no offspring from his grandfather's siblings either.
There's not a single Arryn left but the boy.
There's no living relatives of Robert but Stannis, Shireen, and his bastards.
There's no Tyrell males that could take over Highgarden if Loras joins the Kingsguard.(There's definitely a boatload of extra Tyrells in the books though)

The Martell and Tully siblings don't mention any extended relatives but their lines of succession haven't been mentioned yet, so who knows.

What's really amusing is that (pretending Tommen and Myrcella are legitimate), the deaths of Tommen, Myrcella, Stannis, and Shireen would result in, as far as I can tell, Dany being Robert's next-of-kin (his grandmother is her great-aunt.)

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013

Bobo the Red posted:

Good thing we are talking about the show where Tyrion says he is sending her off to get married.

That has nothing to do with show vs. books. In both he's pretty clearly scheming to find out who's Cersei's informant and get Myrcella away, who she marries is second to that.

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Getting into Stannis-style mass executions seems really against Margaery's character. She's power hungry, sure, but she's consistently tried to build her power on a foundation of being loved.

That's why I'm rooting for the Tyrell-backed Tommen monarchy to continue. Sure they're powerhungry plotters, but they're worldly, reasonable, and they definitely subscribe to the "make them love you, not fear you" philosophy.

If you watch the Tyrell history and lore video, it seems they take pride in their origins as stewards and take their role in feeding the realm seriously. They've consistently shown a willingness to bend the knee to protect their people from strife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thecolorpurple
Feb 6, 2013

Super Ninja Fish posted:

All I want to say here is I just think people would enjoy the episode better if they didn't watch the recap. (The Previously On that will air before the episode)

Yeah, as a bookreader, it doesn't outright spoil anything but it super telegraphs all but maybe one of the major plotlines. Talking about it probably makes it worse but since it's out of the bag, best to let everyone know who cares.

• Locked thread