Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

precision posted:

Would anyone be interested in a Private Game Servers thread where we use this version of the game to simulate a Draft Tournament? It would not be very hard to do as long as the person assigning random boosters would also not take part in the tournament. And really it's just a game, I'm not going to give someone worse boosters based on like their dumb anime avatar or whatever.

It'd be a little bit of work in the actual draft part, but once that's done the games could play out at their own pace.

e: Hell, I would even throw in a small prize for winners, why not!

I'd be interested, but it sounds like a pain in the rear end to organize. I'm not even sure how that would be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
For the shroud/hexproof thing, the only cases I can come up with are a Mindslaver or a forced trigger you control(this is important)which targets like "at the beginning of your turn destroy target creature/creature you control"

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 16, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ryan_woody posted:

I'd be interested, but it sounds like a pain in the rear end to organize. I'm not even sure how that would be done.

I'll organize it once the game has been out for a minute. By nature it'll probably be limited to people who have unlocked all the cards (including Premiums). I'll make a quick and dirty program to create "Boosters" with the normal Rarity distribution out of the extant card pool, and then group people together to pass around that Booster and make their picks. All that will be done by PM or email and might take a few days, at which point the brackets will be posted and people can play out the games whenever they wish.

To make it easier to go on faith, each person will submit their complete decklist to me so that if I notice anything amiss in the descriptions of matches (ie someone plays a third Squadron Hawk when I know they only "pulled" two)...

I mean yeah it's far from perfect but it's also not super serious and I doubt people will cheat; they certainly wouldn't be able to play a Mythic or Rare they didn't pull as long as their opponent accurately reports what happens in their duel.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gough Suppressant posted:

For the shroud/hexproof thing, the only cases I can come up with are a Mindslaver or a forced trigger you control(this is important)which targets like "at the beginning of your turn destroy target creature/creature you control"

There are creatures which deal damage to "target creature" when they die, and Shroud lets you avoid being forced to kill your own creatures that way.

It's a fringe case but it is an important distinction.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

precision posted:

There are creatures which deal damage to "target creature" when they die, and Shroud lets you avoid being forced to kill your own creatures that way.

It's a fringe case but it is an important distinction.

Yeah, that comes under a forced trigger you control, but good to make explicit for clarity's sake.

I think the most confusing one would be something like an Abyss effect which targets but controlled by an opponent, like "at the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player destroys/sacrifices target creature of their choice (/they control)". To me the intuitive reading of that is that it could kill your own hexproof creature because you are choosing the target, but unless there is a specific rule which overrules the "controller of an ability is the controller of the source" for phase triggers(I don't think there is but can't be bothered pulling up the comp rules on my phone) it doesn't work and your creature is safe.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Gough Suppressant posted:

Yeah, that comes under a forced trigger you control, but good to make explicit for clarity's sake.

I think the most confusing one would be something like an Abyss effect which targets but controlled by an opponent, like "at the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player destroys/sacrifices target creature of their choice (/they control)". To me the intuitive reading of that is that it could kill your own hexproof creature because you are choosing the target, but unless there is a specific rule which overrules the "controller of an ability is the controller of the source" for phase triggers(I don't think there is but can't be bothered pulling up the comp rules on my phone) it doesn't work and your creature is safe.

There's no effect which has a player other than its controller choose targets, iirc.

e: Nevermind. cards like Ley Line have this.

You still control the effect.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 16, 2014

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

The Xbox One version got delayed indefinitely. The announcement of this delay occured on their message board, and not until this morning, AFTER their previously announced release date had passed.

Thet did this last year with the 360 version, didn't they? Maybe it was the year before. In any case these guys sre utterly incompetent as game publishers. Gettin' mad about video games here.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
If I am reading the original grammar on leylines correctly, it only ever had one (the original) target, right?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
No. It's a triggered ability where a target is chosen every time it triggered. You might be confusing it with the original template for auras, where "target creature" meant the enchanted creature. Ley Line isn't an aura, though.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

What a boring discussion for a computer game that handles the rules for you.

I've had good success with a white/red heroic deck that makes heavy use of putting auras on truefire paladins and two-headed Cerberus', with lots of ways to shut down defenders or fly over them. I've also had lots of great matches with blue/red, synergizing kiln fiends and guttersnipes with tons of cheap sorceries and instants.

I made a rakdos deck last night that I think has a lot of potential. Goblins fueling blood flow conneissuers and rockslide elementals. I love stealing an opponent's heavy hitter with treason, attacking, then sacrificing or flinging it right back at them. I get more people conceding when I play Rakdos than any other deck. I'll post my deck later for critique, because I think it could use improvement all the same.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

The Bramble posted:

What a boring discussion for a computer game that handles the rules for you.

I've had good success with a white/red heroic deck that makes heavy use of putting auras on truefire paladins and two-headed Cerberus', with lots of ways to shut down defenders or fly over them. I've also had lots of great matches with blue/red, synergizing kiln fiends and guttersnipes with tons of cheap sorceries and instants.

I made a rakdos deck last night that I think has a lot of potential. Goblins fueling blood flow conneissuers and rockslide elementals. I love stealing an opponent's heavy hitter with treason, attacking, then sacrificing or flinging it right back at them. I get more people conceding when I play Rakdos than any other deck. I'll post my deck later for critique, because I think it could use improvement all the same.

Yeah I've liked a similar build of the red black deck. I like black green with lots of spier spawning and nemesis of mortals, which might be the strongest when you get it all together.

All that said though, I finished the campaign and have no desire to keep playing because the decks are pretty boring beyond that. I might try the red blue one for a bit but eh. I loved the previous versions of this game butt his has been heavy going.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

That's all the more reason to have clearly understandable rules though. DotP is the entry product or the one that brings back lapsed players. If they either can't understand it or rules work contrary to expectation, they're gonna get frustrated. Sometimes it's complexity. Sometimes it's just Stainless doing stupid poo poo like letting hexproof dodge edicts (THRUN :argh: )

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
:siren: Game is now live on Steam, and owners of DOTP2014 get an additional free Premium Booster :siren:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Thanks for the heads up!

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

precision posted:

:siren: Game is now live on Steam, and owners of DOTP2014 get an additional free Premium Booster :siren:

So we get one for preorder AND one for having 2014? Nice! So if you need 14 boosters total, that's 2 down 12 to go?

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
How the hell do you open the premium boosters that you get for the pre-order? I choose blue black and jesus christ what an anemic deck. I accidentally clicked through the spot where you can rechoose and now I'm just super pissed.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

How did they manage to make the deck editor worse and the overall interface even slower on PC.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Andrast posted:

How did they manage to make the deck editor worse and the overall interface even slower on PC.

The deck editor gets much better once you beat the first plane. That's also when you get your Premium Boosters.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

The deck editor gets much better once you beat the first plane. That's also when you get your Premium Boosters.

Why would they restrict that?

The general UI is still slow as molasses though. At least the ingame UI is still the same.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Andrast posted:

Why would they restrict that?

Because the ios version is free until you beat the first plane, then its 10 bucks.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Is this better than Hearthstone

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Widestancer posted:

Is this better than Hearthstone
not by a long shot.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Holy jesus gently caress the Hydra deck in the second area. There was a reason it was later in the earlier duels games because you need a lot of removal to deal with it. Dropped two Doubling Seasons with access to 16 mana.

Also pay attention when casting spells. The default mana spending is MUCH worse than previous versions. Oh you have 6 white and 2 green available. I'll spend one white and both your green on this white spell.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Alaan posted:

Holy jesus gently caress the Hydra deck in the second area. There was a reason it was later in the earlier duels games because you need a lot of removal to deal with it. Dropped two Doubling Seasons with access to 16 mana.

Had no problems with Izzet deck, just kept tapping his Protean Hydra then Swithcheroo'd it while I killed him with Moon Herons.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I remember thinking Magic 2014 had so much cool, complex stuff going on that it was only a matter of time before someone looked at it and removed most of the things that made it fun. I'm not that far into this yet, but right now my worst fears are confirmed and then some; it looks like you have to do a lot of work to end up with crap versions of decks you'd get at the start of the other games.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

precision posted:

Had no problems with Izzet deck, just kept tapping his Protean Hydra then Swithcheroo'd it while I killed him with Moon Herons.

Starting with the W/G deck it was not pleasant. You need to hope you can force trades with power boosts before the creatures get out of hand since you probably have at most 4 real removal spells at that point.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Man, the framerate in the battle interface is unbelievably bad. Cards jerking down to the table at a cool 10 FPS. Is there some obvious fix to this? I've tried turning a bunch of graphics options off and on, but nothing seems to help.

Even DOTP 2014 seemed better optimized than this! Which is saying something.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Framerate gets bad. I'm sure there's a memory leak somewhere - crashed my laptop twice already.

That said, I'm loving my Boros convoke deck. Seraph of the Masses is so fun to cast.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The interface actually has a lot of shortcuts that let you skip all the dumb scrolling through menus; of course, none of these features are documented.

The most useful is that you can click on your portrait at various times to do lots of things quickly (switch/edit deck, go to the campaign, etc)

This means that you can sideboard in cards this year in mid-best-of-3. :whoah:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

A few other bugs besides the memory leak(which I really haven't had so far myself)

Just had a two toughness creature survive combat with 2 damage marked on it. Bonus points was it should have died in first strike, and the second blocker wouldn't have been able to deal lethal to my attacker on its own. Instead my dude died though.

Also I had convoke bug out earlier. I had 1 green creature and 5 white creatures on board, 1 forest untapped. Couldn't cast Siege Wurm because it wouldn't let me tap my last white guy to reduce the cost to G.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Can you play Commander in this?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I bought this anyway even though I know I'm going to play it a fraction as much as the last one. I can't find a teramorphic expanse or evolving wilds type card. Anyone know what section of the dumb singleplayer I need to do to get those in a booster?

The fact that I picked one of the black decks at the start and don't have a single removal spell that costs less than 5 mana is insane by the way.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 16, 2014

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

alg posted:

Can you play Commander in this?

No.

No Commander, no Archenemy, no 2 Headed Giant, no Sealed, only vanilla free for all from 2-4 players.

Now some questions of my own:

1) Can you assign AI opponents in multiplayer, and if so, can you give them your own decks or just prebuilt?

2) Does multiplayer award boosters to winners?

3) What does the little foil-colored grey oval at the bottom of some cards mean?

4) I gather that each plane has a different cardpool for boosters, but do individual encounters on specific planes have thir own loot table or is it just per-plane?

5) Who else has this on 360 and wants to spend all night later playing, swearing we won't buy peemium boosters, getting drunk, buying premium boosters, then berating ourselves and each other for buying premium boosters?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Funkmaster General posted:

3) What does the little foil-colored grey oval at the bottom of some cards mean?

This is the Holofoil stamp they've added to Rare and Mythic Rare cards in paper to reduce potential counterfeiting.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Funkmaster General posted:

2) Does multiplayer award boosters to winners?

4) I gather that each plane has a different cardpool for boosters, but do individual encounters on specific planes have thir own loot table or is it just per-plane?

5) Who else has this on 360 and wants to spend all night later playing, swearing we won't buy peemium boosters, getting drunk, buying premium boosters, then berating ourselves and each other for buying premium boosters?

2. Nope. It apparently does on iPad, but not on Steam.

3. That's just part of the new card design I thought.

4. You just play the "Encounter Node" once you've beaten the plane to get more cards.

Also, I was wrong, you can't switch decks without leaving the match. This is horribly annoying. :negative:

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Oh god, I found why it was so incredibly jerky and horrible. I didn't see the 'refresh rate' option and it had defaulted to something like 20. Turned it up to 60 and it's perfect.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
can iPad users play with PC users?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

TheGame posted:

Oh god, I found why it was so incredibly jerky and horrible. I didn't see the 'refresh rate' option and it had defaulted to something like 20. Turned it up to 60 and it's perfect.

Yeah instead of having it detect/request refresh rate like a sanely programmed thing it just defaults to the lowest setting and doesn't make any mention of it.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
I know the system requirements says Windows XP isn't supported but has anyone tried it and checked? I'd quite like to play but my only PC at the moment is ancient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Man that weenie soldier deck has been kicking my rear end.

• Locked thread