Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
naem
May 29, 2011

"See my friends who like me are children want to play this game with army mans and, well there thwy are behind the counter"

** angry glaring **

"It's pretty expensive the game haha, um, yeah my friends parents have like a lot of money it seems like, I've only just realized how money works and well, here is $700 dollars"

** glaring **

"Do I, go behind the counter? To get the thing? Allow me to once again remind you I am a child. I have in my hand $700 I would like to hand you."

** GLARING, FARTY SMELLS **

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I've never been in one of those places but I never considered it'd full of that crowd now hm

now im probably really really really not gonna go

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
How would the crowd at a games store be even remotely different from an equal-sized collection of random goons?

naem
May 29, 2011

Agag posted:

How would the crowd at a games store be even remotely different from an equal-sized collection of random goons?

** ANGRY GLARING **

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

naem posted:

** ANGRY GLARING **

Look, buddy, I just came in here to buy this fuckin' $80 space tank for my kid. It's his birthday.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

naem posted:

"See my friends who like me are children want to play this game with army mans and, well there thwy are behind the counter"

** angry glaring **

"It's pretty expensive the game haha, um, yeah my friends parents have like a lot of money it seems like, I've only just realized how money works and well, here is $700 dollars"

** glaring **

"Do I, go behind the counter? To get the thing? Allow me to once again remind you I am a child. I have in my hand $700 I would like to hand you."

** GLARING, FARTY SMELLS **
Maybe I just got lucky but the guy who owned the game shop I went to to buy magic cards when I was like 10 was super nice and protective of my brother and I when we were there without our mom. I remember one time I wanted to get one of the larger packs rather than just the regular booster and referred to it as a box (because the boosters were in plastic wrapping while the bigger packs were small boxes) but he thought I meant I wanted to buy a booster box (36 packs around $150) and was like "no you have to be 18 to buy those" because he knew that was too much money for me to spend.

He also let my brother and I just sort of hang out there with customers on the pay per hour computer gaming things. I mean we were well behaved, but he knew we'd only buy like a buck worth of commons after being there for 2 hours so pretty nice of him on hindsight to be a sort of free daycare for my mom.

e: The shop I mentioned in my previous post was owned and ran by a cute older lesbian woman who was hugely active in the lgbt stuff in that area. Also a pretty nice place to go and just hang out with staff but I was less into gaming stuff in college so I didn't go as much.

ArbitraryC fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 9, 2014

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
the OPs nerd game is totally cool and not at all like the nerd games of the other people in that store

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I have a 6th level half orc druid I haven't run in a long time if anyone is interested in setting up a dungeon, but you have to let me use my custom half-elemental dire badger companion with its special lava-burrow attack

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
why aren't there more pictures itt

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

gently caress the ROW posted:

a lot of game nerds are super anti drug/drinking/smoking. Gaming is their anti-drug and vagina repellent all in one

yeah i haven't figured this one out yet. a lot of the meganerds i've encountered in my life are insanely anti-drinking

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gently caress the ROW posted:

a lot of game nerds are super anti drug/drinking/smoking. Gaming is their anti-drug and vagina repellent all in one

where I am all the game nerds love weed but maybe that's just because I'm in california

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

There's one here in Minnesota where the owner is a belligerent rear end in a top hat who immediately voices any disapproval he has with you upon your entering of the store. We began regularly attending and not buying anything just to bother him.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Omi-Polari posted:

here is one of my local game shops. it's divided in three parts: traditional games (chess, mahjong, puzzles, etc.), historical miniature games, and board games.

no warhammer. no RPGs.

this is where over-the-hill nerds go to die:

also note the gadsden flag. it's a reactionary crowd playing with their little napoleonic armies.
so i went back here and there was a group of three obese nerds trying to find a place to play their games (the game room was at capacity). they had no volume control and were shouting about how they were kicked out of the last game store they went to. and they smelled really bad.

at one point they started arguing about some game thing. "the sword of enchantment has a +1 etc etc.!" and the oldest one said "no, it actually has a +3" (or something like that) and the young nerd's mouth fell open, gaping at being owned so bad.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ArbitraryC posted:

Yeah there was a brick and mortar store I went to a fair amount with my then girlfriend (it was also a comic book shop and she was a huge dc fan), I bought dice and such occasionally but pretty much never bought any games because it's guaranteed to be at least 25% off msrp online if not more. I felt kind of bad about not supporting them but I really don't get how they could possibly charge more than people who have to ship the thing directly to my apartment.

Nah msrp is basically the highest anything will cost you outside of niche "convenience" fees (like vending machines or buying 10 dollar bottle of water at a festival). You know how almost every product on amazon has a slash through the original price and is like 10-50% off? That's because the msrp is always way more than anyone ever actually pays for the item. Some businesses actually function almost entirely off using this strategy to make it look like they're having killer sales, I've never seen an invicta watch that wasn't like 90% off for example.

Yeah I think the only people who end up buying anything game related are those who need the stuff for a tournament at that moment. It also weirds me out when they say they can special order stuff when I can do that myself online. The places gotta stay open but they could cut like 10% off the price and I'd pay that diff in convenience fees.

It's really odd when I win store credit with the games cuz then you gotta choose between product that's relative overpriced or paying for a pack of cards that's the same price everywhere but it's essentially buying a lotto ticket.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

man, gamers AND deaf? wtf you have a choice about one of those, why would you want to be both?

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Quarex posted:

Come to Gen-Con Indianapolis in August, just jump in the deep end of nerd stuff. We can hang out, it will be totally cool. ;) ;)

Except that requires actually going to Indianapolis.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Blue Man Group Nerd Edition

NObodiesGeek
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not shy, I just hate you.

White Noise Marine posted:

Blue Man Group Nerd Edition

That guy looks like he has 5 tits.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Gaming conventions: home of the 6XL polo shirt

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

He looks exactly like a fat rear end AVGN.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

these dudes are having a blast

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

nutranurse posted:

i've always wanted to try out a tabletop rpg b/c i love reading sourcebooks and poo poo and it looks genuinely interesting, but gently caress me, no way am i playing a tabletop rpg b/c have you seen/heard/smelled the type of people who play them

play DCC RPG because it's loving rad and it generally seems to attract normal (older) people

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon_Crawl_Classics

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

play DCC RPG because it's loving rad and it generally seems to attract normal (older) people

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon_Crawl_Classics

quote:

"Remember the good old days, when adventures were underground, NPCs were there to be killed, and the finale of every dungeon was the dragon on the 20th level? Those days are back. Dungeon Crawl Classics don't waste your time with long-winded speeches, weird campaign settings, or NPCs who aren't meant to be killed. Each adventure is 100% good, solid dungeon crawl, with the monsters you know, the traps you fear, and the secret doors you know are there somewhere."

this sounds like some garbage that's trying too hard to evoke the good old days

dungeon crawls are repetitive boring poo poo, thank god this comes with 73 of them

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

that beard. gently caress

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Spanish Manlove posted:

that beard. gently caress

I see six crackers in this photo

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

pretty soft girl posted:

this sounds like some garbage that's trying too hard to evoke the good old days

dungeon crawls are repetitive boring poo poo, thank god this comes with 73 of them

the sourcebook changes everything

trust me

• Locked thread