Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was your innocence taken by Maleficent?
Yes
No
I don't really remember, but my cornhole sure hurts.
View Results

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ilikedirt posted:

imo without some kind of expression of intent by the artist all these kinds of discussions are just people projecting their weird psychological issues or political beliefs onto poo poo especially when its something as low on nuance and artistry as a childrens movie

Let me tell you about a little something called "death of the author" :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Effectronica posted:

that doesn't really matter, because scenes in movies like this are usually a collaboration between writer, director, editors, and actors. it's entirely possible that script, direction and editing, and performances collaborated to sexualize the violence and betrayal in a way that, say, woolverton (the writer) didn't intend. what does matter is that we have two people we are told outright desire each other, falling asleep in each other's arms, and then one betrays the other by mutilating them in their sleep. there's hardly a vast gulf between that and it being a symbolic rape.

Just being betrayed is not rape. Did Seth Rollins rape Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns on WWE Monday Night Raw last week?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Jeffrey posted:

If you have consensual sex with someone, and then cut off their arms while they are sleeping, was the sex rape? The answer may surprise you.

This. Every act of betrayal is not a rape. If she had been walking through the woods, and this other character who she had no interest in jumped her and cut off her wings, then depending on how it was shot/acted/cut/etc. I could see it being a rape metaphor. But this seems like just an act of betrayal to me, on the same level as say, Brutus taking part in the Ides of March. Brutus did not rape Ceaser, and what he did even had way more phallic symbolism than anything in Malefecent.

• Locked thread