Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«11 »
  • Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.




quote:

I don't think most people realize just how much of a solitary crusade it was at first, how little anyone else knew of what she was up to. Of how hard it was to make sense of what she'd done afterwards, when she couldn't explain it herself. I assumed - we all assumed, all of us at Miskatonic and later the Foundation - that Annabelle's re-discovery of the Leng expedition records inspired her to take a second look at all those old manuscripts, those old texts, about magic. And by that I mean, that the accounts gave her evidence that something beyond the reach of then-current theory had happened to them. It wasn't until much later, after her death, when I looked for her initial notes, when I couldn't find the original records, that I started to wonder if she'd found something more in them...
- Dr. Gwen Stross, First Director of the Ashton Foundation

quote:

FLASH MESSAGE - SIGNIFICANT INCIDENT - CODE ORANGE
Destructive accident, Ashton laboratory. No injuries reported. Site locked down remotely. Incident reported by S. Chandragupta; operating remotely from New Delhi. Class 2 arcanotechnology, contained on-site. Potential hazards: toxic materials, electrical, structural, non-physical incursion, local disruption of physics. Full extent of incident currently unknown. Report to Rm 313 for briefing, 9:15AM EDT. Director O. Douglass chairing.




Wednesday March 13 2120, 9:11AM EDT
Location: Ashton Foundation Headquarters, Room 313; Arkham, Massachusetts

Aspects: Putting the Magic Into the World, Collegiate Atmosphere, Lovecraft Country

The offices are nearly empty today. There are two feet of dirty snow on the ground already, and another six to eight inches predicted for this afternoon. You'd been planning to enjoy the day off and worry about digging out tomorrow, but an emergency flash message called you all in. Right now, all you know is that an incident has occurred at one of the Foundation's labs, that no injuries have been reported, and that the Director of the Special Circumstances Response Division has taken a personal interest.

Your ID badges let you into Room 313, one of the briefing and analysis sections set aside for the Special Circumstances Response Team's exclusive use. The largest benefit of this policy is generally considered to be access to a lightly used Dunkin' Donuts automatic vendor (legacy of a poorly worded thirty year contract that Starbuck's army of lawyers are still trying to pick apart). You have a moment to take full advantage of it and find a place at the conference table before the Director comes in.

***

Welcome to the Ashton Foundation everyone! Please post your character sheets here for reference. Just the stats please, we can read the OOC thread for the fluff. Rolls can be done on synirc in #redhandofdoom or #persona OR on Orokos (use the campaign name Exclusion Violations).

You've a moment or two introduce your character. You all know each other from the office, and have each worked with one or two of the others, but this is the first time the team in this configuration is all working together.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Jul 20, 2014 around 02:07

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Agent Cain



Cain was, naturally, one of the first to the room. After all, if you're early, you're on time, if you're on time, you're late, and if you're late...well, if you're late you're likely dead.

He walks to the Dunkin' Donuts vendor, dispensing hot coffee into the largest cup he can find, grabs a couple of donuts, and sits quietly in a seat near the front.

As he's sitting, the machine chirps happily, "Don't forget - the NEG runs on Dunkin'!" Cain shakes his head, a slight chuckle escaping his lips. "Yeah, sure it does," he mutters under his breath.

The donuts are a luxury, or at least as near to one as he can figure. Sugary and not particularly nutritious, but good with coffee and a pleasant snack in the morning after his own hearty breakfast of steak, eggs, and more coffee. Besides, he needed sugars and various other things to fuel his cybernetics, already increasing his appetite vastly - why not have some?

The first chocolate sprinkled donut disappears quickly as he waits - it wouldn't do to be eating during the briefing.

As he contemplates the second donut, he wonders when anyone else from the team will arrive. This zero-accountability thing could certainly prove irksome at times.

Tempus Rimeblood posted:


Agent "Agent" Cain

pre:
Concept Aspect: Cyborg Veteran Turned Secret Agent

Mode (+3): Cyborg
Athletics, Combat, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Vehicles

Mode (+2): Spy
Athletics, Burglary, Contacts, Deceive, Notice, Stealth

Mode (+1): Banter
Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport, Will

Mode Aspects:
Cyborg: Never Asked For It, Gonna Use It Anyway

Spy: The Fifth Freedom

Banter: *unknown*

Omega Aspect: "Cain, Cursed By God? What does that even MEAN?"

Skills:
+5: Combat
+4: Athletics, Provoke, Notice
+3: Contacts, Deceive, Physique, Vehicles
+2: Burglary, Stealth
+1: Rapport, Will


Stunts:

Die Another Day: Cain's a slippery one.  In a physical 
conflict, he can spend a FATE Point to concede even after 
he's rolled his defense.

Did You Check The Body?: Cain is also a survivor that
would make cockroaches look like the dodo.  As long as he's
not being directly observed and there’s a reasonable way to 
leave, he can spend a fate point to disappear from a scene. 
Once he has left the scene, he can reduce a consequence one 
level (severe to moderate, moderate to minor, minor to gone). 
He cannot reappear until the next scene at the earliest.

Cyborg Enhancements: Cain's cyborg body has numerous 
benefits.  He's immune to toxins and heavily-armored, but 
his systems are extremely vulnerable to being hacked.  
(Toxinproof, Armor:2 against everything else, but vulnerable
to hacking)

One-Man Strike Team:  Cain's used to fighting in 
secret cult hideouts, underground networks of tunnels, 
and labyrinthine dungeons used for nefarious purposes.  
When in extremely tight quarters such as the above, he 
gains +2 to Combat rolls and Weapon:2 in melee range.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Hyun-Ae

There's a thump as Hyun-Ae's forehead makes contact with the door window. She squints as she scans the inside of the room. Just Cain. Fun. She languidly pushes the door open and trudges inside.

"gently caress me, man." Hyun-Ae slumps into one of the chairs and lazily raises her scotch glass to her colleague. "Whatup."

Atlatl posted:

Hyun-Ae Hekmatyar


Concept: Ex-Uller Executive Arcanotech Dealer
CREAM: Tactically Acquired, Certified Pre-Owned
Hacker: The Ballmer Curve
See: Attached (1)
Banter: Ill Communication like Ma Bell
Omega: I'm Tellin' Ya'll It's SABOTAGE

pre:
               CREAM (+3)               Hacker (+2)          Banter (+1)

Superb  (+5)   Contacts
               
Great   (+4)   Rapport, Empathy,        Systems
               Will, Notice, Burglary   
Good    (+3)   Arcanotech Appraisal,    Deceive
               Mythos
Fair    (+2)                            Athletics, Stealth
                                         
Average (+1)                                                 Provoke
               
Stunts/Mega-Stunts:
Shell Games like Enron: +2 to Deceive when utilizing an advantage created with the Systems skill.
1%: Once per session, Hyun-Ae can throw an out of control party and enters the scene with two stacks of $100 bills with which to slap people with.
Severance Package: When retreating from combat or a confrontation, Hyun-Ae can steal one piece of personal hardware from the enemy by spending a fate point and succeeding on a burglary roll.
Ms. Johnson: Use Contacts in place of Combat during a pre-meditated attack.
Intergalactic: Absolutely knows more people/creatures/beings than anyone else (Contacts), but at a cost; use Contacts in place of Mythos to identify/know a supernatural being. (+1 FP to GM's Reserve)
pre:
Stress:
Physical $$$
Mental   $$$$
         ¢¢$$

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Cain

He looks down at his donut. Back at Hyun-Ae. Back at the donut.

"Briefing. Probably shouldn't be drinking, we're on the clock and drunk on duty makes for casualties."

He slides the donut across the table. "Here. At least have that to go with it, if you're intent on being sloshed on-op."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Hyun-Ae

"Strange." Hyun-Ae spins around in her chair, shrugging. "Doesn't look like anyone's shooting at me right now. I think that means I'm not on duty yet, dude."

She looks to the donut, then to Cain, then her drink. She sighs and waves him towards the DD machine without looking. "Whatever. Look, just get me the pills. Please."

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Cain

He lets out an exasperated sigh. "And if you're too drunk to listen to the briefing once it starts, you miss intel. You miss intel, you could get killed."

Standing, he walks back to the Dunkin' Donuts vendor, dispensing some sober-up pills, and pouring her a cup of coffee for good measure. Snagging some cream cups and sugar packets, he places the whole assortment in front of her.

"Listen, it's my job to make sure nobody on our side dies on these ops." And that everyone on the other side DOES, he muses to himself. "That means making sure everyone's good to go. Now come on, put the glass down and drink up. Rest of the team's gonna be here any minute."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Hyun-Ae

"Yeah, yeah. You're right. Again. 'Preciate it. Who knows what sort of disaster I'd be without you, Agent." She opens up the packet of pills, taking a moment to regard the Sober-Up! logo with great distaste. "Cheers." She taps her glass on the table, throws back the pills, slams down the rest of her scotch, and slides the glass away from her.

Hyun-Ae straightens up in her chair and exhales. "Whoo, boy. Forget coffee, man. Johnny Walker'll wake you up quick. Alright, I'm good. Bring on the PowerPoints. Let's do this poo poo."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010


Li Wu

By the time Li sits down, she already has an armful of donuts and another in her mouth. Her massive bed hair, grumpy baggy eyes and suspiciously clean hands suggest she was up all night on some ritual and was intending to sleep it off. Oh, well.

The pineapple donut jammed between her teeth wiggles as she talks. "Thif bepher be guph."


Ettin posted:

Li Wu


Concept: Dangerous High-Tech Sorceress
Occult: Collector Of Ancient Secrets
Banter: Even Criminals Don't gently caress With Me
Black Market: Veteran Of The Arcane Underground
Omega: "Secretly" A Huge Dork

Skills:
pre:
		Occult (+3)		Banter (+2)		Black Market (+1)
Superb (+5)	Archaeology, Notice

Great (+4)	Will

Good (+3)	Mythos			Contacts, Deceive

Fair (+2)				Provoke, Rapport

Average (+1)							Athletics, Combat,
								Stealth
Weird Mode (Black Market): Intrigue but for the more dangerous Arcane Underground. Athletics, Combat, Contacts, Deceive, Notice, Stealth. Costs 10.
Improvements: 6 points left.


Stunts/Mega-Stunts
Can't Be Worse Than Wade–Giles: Any time Li encounters an occult language she could have reasonably studied, she can understand it — and speak it, where possible. If she spends a fate point, she can do so perfectly. Otherwise, the GM reserves the right to introduce symbols that don't properly translate.

The One Abridged Book Of Hsan: Li can use this book to get +1 to Archaeology or Mythos Cults during a brainstorm.

Signature Aspect: Collector Of Ancient Secrets

Technosorcery: When Li creates a ritual with more than one mega-stunt, she can ignore one of its catches as long as she can get a strong wireless connection to use her sweet phone apps.

Stress
Physical OO
Mental OOOO

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Mali Sasithorn

Thunk.

Mali sets a heavy bag down on the table. Part of a brightly-colored metallic chain is sticking a little bit of a not-quite-closed zipper. You can probably guess what's inside; it's the same bag she almost always has with her.

"Hey." She hangs her heavy winter jacket off the back of her chair, and sits down. "Can you guys believe we're gonna get more snow today? I thought Winter was supposed to be over by now."

Takanago posted:


Mali Sasithorn

Aspects

Concept: Professional Thief Turned Artifact Hunter
Intrigue: A Bit of a Criminal History
Action: Pretty drat Reckless
Occult: Insatiable Curiosity
Omega: Mountain of Debt

Skills:
pre:
		Intrigue (+3)			Action (+2)			Occult (+1)
Superb (+5)	Burglary, Stealth, Notice

Great (+4)	Athletics

Good (+3)	Contacts, Deceive		Combat, Provoke, Vehicles

Fair (+2)					Physique

Average (+1)									Mythos, Will
Improvements: Specialize Burglary(3), Notice(3), Focus Combat(1), Provoke(1), Vehicles(1)

Stress
Physical OOOO
Mental OOO

Stunts

Stunt: Lucky Shot
+1 to attack or create an advantage with Combat when using a firearm

Stunt: Parkour Expert
+2 to overcome physical obstacles in an urban setting with athletics.

Stunt: False Resolve
Use Deceive instead of Will to defend against mental attacks from humans.

Stunt: Sometimes Brute Force is the Answer
+1 to Overcome or Create an advantage when using Physique to physically break something.

HARDWARE: Otherworldly Skull (2 Benefits) (that might get some cool name I but I am not very good at Lovecraftian lore)
-Function: A Big Rad Magic Skull
-Flaw: Cursed As Hell

-Vessel of Fear and Madness
The magic power stored inside the skull can overwhelm the hearts of the weak with great fear and rage. +2 to overcome with provoke when wielding the skull, or +4 with a cost.

-Magic Skull-Flail
In a pinch, the skull can be swung on its magical chain like a flail. Weapon:2 or Weapon:4 at a cost.

Total Stunt Benefits: 6

Takanago fucked around with this message at Jun 9, 2014 around 11:49

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013


Madeline Knapp

Madeline takes a seat, sipping at a cup of coffee from the room's vending machine. You don't remember seeing her come in. Or use the vending machine.

"I know, right? I mean, I didn't even have time to make coffee this morning after digging my car out. Thank God for the Dunkin machine. I've never even seen one of those before."

A faint chittering noise comes from under the conference table, and Madeline looks down with a little grin on her face.

"Violet, shush. You already had breakfast."

Emerald Rogue posted:


Madeline Knapp, Violet and their combined form

Concept: My Invisible Friend Is Terrifying
Good Mode: Juvenile Tager Host (9)
+Aspect: Infant Predator
Average Mode: Banter (9)
+Aspect: The Girl Next Door
Fair Mode: Action (9)
+Aspect: College Athlete
Omega: Little Lost Tager - Where's Mom?

Skills:
pre:
		Juvenile Tager Host(+3)		Banter(+2)		Action(+1)
Superb (+5)	

Great (+4)	Athletics, Combat, Notice
                Stealth, Optic Warp
Good (+3)	   	                   Provoke	 

Fair (+2)				   Contacts, Deceive, Empathy   Physique
                                           Rapport, Will

Average (+1)							        Vehicles  
Weird Skill: Optic Warp
The little lost Tager pup can bend light around itself to achieve a variety of useful effects.
Overcome: Bend light to make something invisible or make others see things that aren't there.
Create Advantage: Distract an opponent with illusory enemies, attacks or obstacles.
Attack: Photon beams. ZZZAP!
Defense: Actually standing three feet to the left of where you're shooting.

Stunts
Stunt: Master of Disguise
When you’re in a situation where you’re able to slip away unnoticed, you have the option to temporarily drop out of the game altogether. If you do, spend a fate point to reappear disguised as a faceless NPC already in the scene.

Mega-Stunt: Tager Transformation
Function: Symbiotic Monster Suit
Flaw: Vulnerable to Stross Numbers
Mega-Stunts: 4 Benefits
+Photon Blast: Weapon 2 when using Optic Warp to attack.
+Razor Tentacles: Weapon 2 when using strength to attack.
+Alien Flesh: Armor 2 against physical harm.
+Apex Predator: Absolutely sneakier than any human (Stealth), but at a cost.

Stress:
Mental: OOO
Physical: OOOO

Experiences: Field-Tested
Points: 1/1

Emerald Rogue fucked around with this message at Apr 1, 2015 around 13:00

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011



Princess Shirona of Celephaïs

"It is a wonderful machine." Shirona spins around in her own chair, not even looking away from the ancient tome she holds in her left hand. A strawberry-filled donut is on her right. "So much concentrated sugar in one place. I haven't had this much since my last time in Serannian."

It's not so much that she appears out of nowhere, really; she's been in the room ever since the emergency message came up. But it's just now that she decides that everyone (without magic senses) should notice her presence right at that moment. Shinigami powers are weird.

Or would be, if Madeline wasn't around as well. Now it's just the milquetoast kind of weird.

"The snow, I could do without." She stops to fix herself to a respectable sitting posture. "It is already cold enough here as it is."

TurninTrix posted:

Princess Shirona of Celephaïs


· Aspects ·

Concept: Knight-Errant from the Dreamlands
Shinigami: Relic Hunter, Mage Slayer, Notorious at Both
Princess: Noblesse Oblige
Action: Do the Impossible
Omega: Stranger in a Strange Reality

· Skills ·
pre:
		Good (+3) Shinigami	Fair (+2) Princess	Average (+1) Action

Specialized			
		
										   

Focused		Great (+4):		Good (+3):	  			
		Athletics, Combat,	Provoke, Contacts,
		Notice, Physique,	Rapport
		Will, Dreamlands Lore
Shinigami Mode (9 pts): Athletics, Combat, Dreamlands Lore, Notice, Physique, Stealth, Will
Princess Mode: Renamed Banter Mode.
Dreamlands Lore Skill (Overcome, Create Advantage) (0 pts): An Occult skill that demonstrates knowledge of the Dreamlands and Dreamlands-related artifacts.


· Stunts/Mega-Stunts ·

Soul Relic - Dreamshaper (2 benefits):
· Function: Dream Matter Folded Into Shinigami Steel
· Flaw: A Beacon for Cat Spirits
· Masterwork Bastard Sword: Add +1 to Combat while in melee, Weapon: 2.
· Schrödinger's Cut: On a success with style with a physical attack, Shirona can spend a Fate Point to slightly alter one of the target's aspects to her advantage (with a free invoke). An Eldritch Society Wizard, for example, could turn into a Eldritch Society Mage Dropout in a single stroke. This only lasts briefly (at least one round) before reality reasserts itself over the paradox.

Absolute Territory (2 benefits): Wherever Shirona stands, the strange laws of the Dreamlands hold sway and protect her. When invoking an aspect to create an obstacle, Shirona gets a +2 bonus to the difficulty of that obstacle. Once per scene, she can also roll against a Great (+4) obstacle using Dreamlands Lore to subtly change the name of an existing scene aspect to her benefit (and gain a free invoke).

Don’t Lose Your Way: Shirona has a semi-conscious awareness of where she's needed most. She can spend a Fate Point to appear in a scene she wasn't in already, no matter how improbable it may be.

Lucid Dreamer: Shirona can use Dreamlands Lore in place of any other skill during a brainstorm, especially if her reasoning calls for dream logic.

Reality Is A State Of Mind (2 benefits): Fearproof against mental attacks, but weak to forces originating from the Dreamlands. Shirona can use Will to create an advantage through meditation or focus when she have a moment to breathe and concentrate.

(Total benefits: 8 - 5 = 3 fate points to the GM’s reserve.)

· Stress ·
Physical OOOO
Mental OOO

Mitama fucked around with this message at Jun 18, 2014 around 02:03

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Cain

"Snow's...useful, sometimes. Should get shoveled soon, though, or we're not gonna have any entry or exit points."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Hyun-Ae

"Might not be so cold if you wore pants for once," Hyun-Ae snickers, flapping the collar of her fox coat in Shirona's direction.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


As you talk about that old conversational crutch, the weather, the door to Room 313 pops open again as the lady who called you all in enters.

Director Olivia Douglass


"Good morning everyone. Sorry to drag you in on a day like this, but needs must." She has a tablet in hand, and with a few flicks of her fingers starts distributing files to each of your devices and the displays built into the table. She's clearly not thrilled about being here herself. Olivia's a good boss, though, and won't take it out on you, and meant what she said about regretting having to drag you into the mess.

"Let's get right to it. About an hour ago, there was a major incident in the Stross Building, in Subbasement B," she says over her shoulder as she raids the DD Vendor. The building, one of the older ones on the Foundation campus, is visible across a snowy field through the windows. "Dr. Chandragupta was working remotely in Lab 02 when an explosion knocked over her remote unit and breached at least three of the lab units. Fortunately no one local was in the building, and she called it in immediately. The building has been locked down completely since."

Drops into a chair at the head of the table, and massages her forehead. "Normally we'd let Facilities handle it, but there's a few problems with that. They're all union so it's going to take two-thirds majority of all the deities you can name to get them in again after the Governor told everyone to go home. The bigger issue though is that this is an inherently unusual event. Archives don't usually explode - not even ours."

That reminds everyone - the Stross Building hasn't been a front line development lab in decades. It was converted into an archive for the Foundation's records on arcanotechnology and the occult, as well as a repository of artifacts, prototypes, and type specimens of major arcanotech innovations. Miskatonic has taken to housing some of its extensive collection there too. The building is explicitly not the one where the really dangerous stuff is kept.

"The explosion knocked out the internal surveillance, and the thaumometer readings are about 50% higher than background levels. It looks like it originated in Lab 03. That was checked out to, uh, Dr. Wood. Steve wasn't in there - he's off icefishing in some godforsaken corner of Maine, I just got off satphone with him - and he said his team was doing a study of the Mark III. For those of you not obsessed with the minutiae of d-drive development, the Mark III was - shock - the third working example put together back in the 21st century. It worked but it was a dead end design. Boringly so, it just was inefficient and prone to burning out its fuses. The only person who would be interested in something like that are historians like Steve and his team."

"Frankly, I think one of Steve's team left the drive powered up and this time when it shorted out it managed to interfere with one of the diagnostic machines. Those old d-drives were not exactly well shielded, and they don't always play nicely with modern equipment. I wouldn't have bet on something so... energetic, but that's why you had to get out of bed." She shrugs, and sips her coffee, grimacing before adding more sugar.

"This is your show. My only mandates are that we need an explanation of what happened, a cleanup plan, and a recommendation for keeping from happening again. How do you want to handle it?"

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011



Princess Shirona of Celephaïs

"What I am wearing is perfectly fine, thank you." Shirona says dryly, then takes a bite of strawberry donut. "It's this whole place that needs to get warmer."


She stands up, sets aside her tome, and gives her corporate superior a proper curtsy. Then bites her donut again. "Do we have any records of anyone coming in or out during that time, Director?" Shirona asks. No matter how much value the place lacks, she can't rule out a burglary attempt gone wrong.

Mitama fucked around with this message at Jun 10, 2014 around 00:19

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Hyun-Ae

"Sweet." If only it were likely to be such a simple case. With a wave of her hand, Hyun-Ae dismisses the data cluttering her glasses. "I vote for a field trip. I'll handle the paperwork. Kinda my thing." She lazily throws out a pair of hand signs like a little fanfare. "Insurance claims, inventory, loss analysis, critique report, whatever. All that stuff's easier to handle on-site. You cool with me getting the usual expense account, boss?"

She pauses to sip her coffee. "And before you ask, I ain't dragging along a gunship or nothing this time. I'll keep it low budget."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Olivia responds to Shirona first. "Nothing from external cameras, and no one swiped in. Even the security guard had gone across the commons to get a coffee, their DD is on the fritz again. Only thing in the building were a couple of remote units who got booted from the network and the janitor roombas. The security coverage good, our insurers made certain of that, but it's hardly the Federal Reserve, so someone might have gotten in unnoticed. I doubt they'd have gotten out after lockdown without us knowing though."

She gives Hyun-Ae an old fashioned look. "Yes, let's avoid another Timbuktu if we can." She holds up a hand to forestall argument. "I agree, I agree, the situation called for an... extreme response, but you really must keep better track of receipts. I still say they double-billed us for the rockets. ANYWAYS. The usual account should be fine, and I understand that you might have to pay above-market rates given the weather conditions."

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Jun 10, 2014 around 00:27

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Hyun-Ae

A knowing, wolfish grin is plastered across the manager's face as Olivia speaks. "Hah, aight. Cool. I got nothing else for you."

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Cain

"Well, this looks like a solid non-combat op, I'll take over the heavy lifting. I'm sure we'll need it, depending on the structural damage to the building."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010


Li Wu

Li shoves the entire rest of the donut into her mouth, swallows, and raises another one. Strawberry this time!

"I'm in. nom"

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013


Madeline Knapp

With a frown, Madeline sets her coffee down and addresses the table.

"Um, I can go snoop around the building in case someone's in there ... Hey, what happens when a d-drive blows up, anyway? Is this case different?"

Madeline isn't entirely sure what a d-drive is, although she does sort of remember an ex-boyfriend mentioning something like that while he was yammering on about his arcanoengineering courses. God, he was a bore. Better just act like you know what's up, like everyone else seems to be doing.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011



Princess Shirona of Celephaïs

"I have seen a dimensional engine explode once. Most of the time, the laws of reality simply collapse within the immediate area for a few seconds, causing all sorts of extra-dimensional distortions and other anomalies. Most of the time. I hear that in rare cases, it tears a small hole in space."

Shirona gobbles the rest of her donut and wipes her mouth with a napkin.

"So, when do we set off?"

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Mali Sasithorn

"We can probably just go now." Mali leans back in her chair and looks out the window in the direction of the Stross Building. "I mean a lab explosion doesn't sound too bad. We're probably either looking at an accident, or sabotage, or something spooky."

She stands up and starts putting her jacket back on. "Either way, looks like we just need to take a look around and deal with what we find. You guys good to go?"

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Hyun-Ae

"Hell yeah, girl. Let's bounce." Hyun-Ae pops out her chair and makes for the door.

e: the proest of reading comprehension

Atlatl fucked around with this message at Jun 10, 2014 around 23:38

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013


Madeline

Madeline slurps down the last of her coffee and pushes back her chair.

"I'm coming! Let me grab Violet, then I'm ready."

She ducks below the conference table, popping back up after a momentary burst of scrabbling, chittering noises and a rather substantial thump. Her purse twitches ominously as she heads for the door, looking a little flushed and embarrassed.

"I don't know why she still puts up such a fuss about riding in my bag - I put her favorite chew toy in there and everything ..."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


The Director waves to you as you file out. "I'll be here if you need me."

After grabbing your coats and winter gear, you walk (or maybe you take some other conveyance) across the commons to the Stross Building. The main doors are locked, with the displays built into them flashing yellow DO NOT ENTER signs, and directing passers by to the main office. Your passes get you through without any trouble.

Inside its eerily quiet. The lights are all on, but no one is home. You're in the lobby, with the elevator banks off to your right, stairs just beyond, and the security desk dead ahead. The building is older, but the Foundation has kept it up pretty well. The emergency lights in the hallways are flashing, but someone has turned off the audio alarm at least. There's an odd smell, sort of an ozone thing, in the air, just barely perceptible. The heat must have gotten stuck on when the facilities VI went down, because it's rather stuffy in here.

You can head right down to the Labs, or you can see about getting the security system turned back. In sad defiance of various conspiracy whackos' daydreams, the security system really is just networked cameras and basic anti-intrusion devices, with some more sophisticated sensors in the rooms storing more fragile or hazardous materials.

You could also try to access the building's facilities VI. The janitor roombas have cameras - really crappy lowest-bidder affairs, but they might be useful. More helpful is that it would turn the research remotes back on too. These are basically just Segways with a couple of low-power manipulator arms, an actually pretty good camera and audio pickup, and a big honking tablet on top. Researchers who can't visit the archives personally ride them around to check out artifacts resistant to virtualization and get face time with resident experts.

You could split up and tackle more than one task at the same time, too.

Notes
Ashton Adventure File Mk I

Also introducing the Stormtracker!

The storm getting worse won't be all bad for you though, you'll get some invokes on each stage past the first.

pre:
Stormtrack OOOOO
Watch In Effect [+0]

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Aug 6, 2014 around 02:19

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Hyun-Ae

Hyun-Ae raises a hand and makes a bee line for the security desk. "Hold up, I got this." As she takes a seat, her glasses visibly fill with neon-bordered command prompt windows. A few waves of her hand clear away a space so that she can watch the rest of her team with one eye. "I'mma run a diagnostic and get the cameras back up so we don't walk into a fire or whatever, aight?"

A hand signal causes an avalanche white text to stream down her glasses. She throws her arms up behind her head and leans back into her seat. "Ya'll go ahead and do your thing."

Systems roll to try and get the security system back up and the audible alarms off.
[21:27] Atlatl HACK THE PLANET
[21:27] Atlatl !r fudge+4
[21:27] Krysmbot Atlatl, -+-++4 = 4

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Cain

The cyborg trudges through the snow, longcoat hiding his augmented frame. Normally, he wouldn't wear such an article of clothing, but this was on-facility and presumably a non-combat op. There was no need for a stealth approach.

And what the hell? People liked it when you made an effort to look nice...right?

Upon reaching the building, though, he's all business.

"Alright, I'll take point getting down to the labs," he says, drawing a handgun from a shoulder holster. "Hekmatyar, see if you can get us security footage from before the d-drive failed. Beam what you find to my comm frequency - you know I'll hear you."

Stepping off!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Hyun-Ae

"Yup. Way ahead of you, chief." She throws him a thumbs up and kicks her feet up on the desk.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Cain

"Let's move out, team. Knopp, with me. Wu, follow up, and Shirona, I want you on rear guard. Unless someone has any other ideas."

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Mali Sasithorn

"Yo, hold up." Mali points to one of the emergency sirens with one hand and draws her pistol with the other. "That alarm should be on. Those things don't turn off by themselves."

Then she raises an eyebrow. "And aren't you forgetting about someone, Mr. Cyberpunk?"

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Cain

"drat, Sasithorn," he says with a smirk. "So quiet y'even slipped me." He offers the briefest hint of a smile.

"Move up with Knopp and I, we'll take a quiet approach in front. Assume hostile movement in the area, this could be a case of sabotage. Alternately, the d-drive could have failed randomly and we're out here for nothing, in which case we can all go home. But really, assume the former."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Hyun-Ae

"This guy. So moto. I love it." Hyun-Ae looks like she's settling in to take a nap. "I'll supervise from here."

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Cain

"We can't all be execs," he says, holding a finger to his neck to broadcast over comms. "Some of us actually have to work for a living."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Hyun-Ae

"Say again? I can't hear you through all this money I'm drowning in. Heh."

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Cain

Finally having had enough of the executive, he posts up at the entrance of the hall, back to cover and keeping an eye down the passage.

"I'd like to get moving. More time we waste, more time any saboteurs can dig in or escape. Unless, like I said, someone has any other plans."

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at Jun 11, 2014 around 02:30

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


I appreciate that everyone is excited about the game, but let's make sure everyone gets a chance to interact and decide what they want their character to do, kay folks?

Additionally I was fine with people having authority as background, but if it becomes an issue with people making decisions for other characters I will squash it.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011



Princess Shirona of Celephaïs

While the other two bicker like they always do, Shirona turns towards the disabled alarm for a second. Mali pretty much spells it out for them.

"Let's assume this is burglary or sabotage." She says to Li and Madeline. "Is there anything here of value other than the Mark-III? I understand this place is more of a glorified museum."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010


Li Wu

Li fishes in her pocket and extracts her data cube. It looks like a big black cube, but with a few twists and snaps it unfolds into a huge, sturdy screen. Li unfolds it to its maximum size and summons a few holo-screens for good measure. Just one or two.



"Oy, oy, keep your pants on," she says with a friendly grin. "Let me check a few things. You can go ahead."

Li's fingers dance over the screens, pulling up information and running quick magical scans on the area. It looks impressive, but Li is a firm believer in reducing unnecessary multitasking; most of these screens are for holding results for different sources because she hates tabbing, and the actual research is slower and more methodical.

Using Notice and my magical expertise to check what should (or shouldn't) be in the Stross Building right now, especially anything either dangerous or useful to us:

<Krysmbot> Ettin, +++/+5 = 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013


A magnificent botched post. Sorry!

Emerald Rogue fucked around with this message at Jun 11, 2014 around 12:16

  • Locked thread
«11 »