Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Madeline

Tempus Rimeblood posted:

Cain

"drat, Sasithorn," he says with a smirk. "So quiet y'even slipped me." He offers the briefest hint of a smile.

"Move up with Knopp and I, we'll take a quiet approach in front. Assume hostile movement in the area, this could be a case of sabotage. Alternately, the d-drive could have failed randomly and we're out here for nothing, in which case we can all go home. But really, assume the former."

"Um, it's Knapp. My last name is Knapp, with an "A" - just want to keep communications clear."

Oh my god, he doesn't even know what my name is?! I know I'm still technically an intern, but that's just super embarrassing.

"Let me suit up and we can go see what's happening."

Madeline slips a hand into her purse and whispers an almost-inaudible word. Suddenly, a sickly, near-purple light pours from the open mouth of her bag as thick, transculent, polychromatic tendrils of pseudomatter wrap around and seemingly through her arm, rapidly snaking and squirming outward to envelop the rest of her body. Madeline's eyes are closed, and her brow is furrowed in concentration - up until just a moment before her face is obscured by the tager transformation, when a fierce grin splits her face. You're pretty sure her teeth don't normally look that sharp.

As the air seems to ripple and bend around the tager's rapidly fading shape, Madeline's voice echoes through the hall, seemingly from a couple of places at once. "Okay, now I'm ready."

Using Optic Warp to become invisible for scouting purposes (and also to check that I can make Orokos do what I want):

Vanishing from sight: 4dF+4 6

Emerald Rogue fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Just want to say I'm not screwing things up deliberately, that was an honest to God typo. That'll teach me to post while running on 3 hours of sleep!

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Cain

"Sorry about that, must have misheard when you introduced yourself." he offers. "Won't happen again."

He sets off down the hall behind where he thinks she headed off, moving as silently as he can through the area.

Gonna use Stealth to follow behind Madeline.

Stealth: 4dF+2 4

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Hyune-Ae controls the horizontal and the vertical. Or at least, the locks and the alarms. It's pretty simple to turn off the flashing lights and reboot the camera system, but it looks like everything from the Basement level down is spotty at best, and nothing is working near the point of interest. These old buildings aren't always friendly to wireless, so there are a lot of repeaters and some of them must have gotten damaged, not to mention the actual cameras getting taken out.

Responses to her arcane ping fill up several of Li's windows. A lot of them are bouncing off wards, which is actually a good sign - all the really interesting stuff in here has occult security, and the circles of protection all seem to be giving the right responses. It probably would have eluded a less skillful mage. But Li spots it after only a few moments. Someone has set up a tricky little magical firewall that's covering all the basement levels. It's letting Li's scans and the responses from the wards talk to each other, but if she tried to hone in on whatever its meant to hide, it would spoof her if it could and block her if it couldn't. Whoever made it knew what they were doing, but they also limited to guarding against remote sensing and scanning, there's no physical countermeasures attached that she can see. Just a clever cloaking field. Li can't tell what its hiding is from here though.

The real up shot, of course: there is definitely someone else in here and up to something.

Speaking of cloaking fields, Madeline moves unseen through the halls, Cain following behind. The cyborg is drat quiet, but just not in the league of the invisible woman on point. The stairwells don't line up all the way down for some reason known only to contractors, so they have to step out in Basement Level 2 to find another which will take them down to Basement Level 3, and then cross to yet another to get into the Subbasements (A and B).

The main lighting is off on B1, with only the yellow emergency track on, making the artifact storage level shadowy and somehow mysterious. As they head towards the next stairwell, something suddenly comes around a corner and blocks the hallway junction ahead. It's a janitor roomba, a big powder blue cylinder about four feet high and just as wide, scuffed and faded from long use. The top part of it where the cameras and other sensors are twirls around, scanning. After a moment it trundles off down the hall again, silently.

Odd, the vacuums and buffers on them usually make more noise than that.

Notes
Ashton Adventure File Mk I

Hyun-Ae reactivates the security systems. In addition to letting you lock and unlock doors remotely and check the working cameras, you also get one invoke on Security Desk.

Li reveals the aspect Occult Cloaking Field, and gets two invokes on it. She can use those invokes to overcome it or to try and twist it to her advantage.

Madeline gets the Invisible aspect with her roll, and two invokes on it. Cain gets Tactical Movement with one invoke. The rolls you made are the difficulty for someone to overcome to notice you, though in Madelines case the need access to special senses to even try.

You've also uncovered that there's something more untoward happening here than just an accident.

pre:
Stormtrack OOOOO
Watch In Effect [+0]

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 12, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Princess Shirona of Celephaïs

Shirona soon gets her answer, even though she needs to twist her face around and peer awkwardly into Li Wu's screen to get it. Accursed computers.

"Definitely someone here. Or at least that's what those blips are telling me." She sets off to follow Madeline and Cain. "Thank you, Li. I am going to find a way down on the opposite side the building. Whoever it is hiding down there, we may likely corner if we approach on different angles."

With that said, she finds a stairwell and simply leaps through the space in the middle to quickly descend.

She lands at Basement Floor 2 with without so much fuss or noise. Better keep moving quickly.

Athletics to create an advantage: //// +4 = 4.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

So I'm going to give everyone another round of posts to create advantages, and then we're going to have a challenge, to see if you guys can get the drop on whoever is behind this.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Hyun-Ae

[ Hot feeds straight out the oven. Get you some. ] Hyun-Ae's voice emerges from the building's announcing system, though only in the areas occupied by her team. An avatar appears on any available video feed below a rather pushy prompt box.
pre:
                Accept video stream?
             [Yes]       [do it you idiot]

Upon accepting, a small map of the building appears. The locations of the team are marked clearly and a few select camera feeds hover around the border.

[ Alright, so here's the haps: most of the stuff in the immediate area is dead, so I got no idea what's going down over there. ] Her avatar shrugs. [ If it's just the repeaters that are broken then I should be able to use ya'll's devices to bounce a feed off them. In the meantime, I'mma keep an eye on ya'll and commandeer some janitorial drones for recon. ]

Going to try and create the advantage Roombas Lead the Way! using Systems: //-/+4 = 3.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Mali Sasithorn

"Right behind you, Princess!" Mali vaults over the very same stairway railing that Shirona leaps over. Instead of simply falling straight for the bottom, however, she starts jumping from one stairway landing to the next. Soon, she is at the bottom in only a little bit of extra time.

Advantage with Athletics:
<Takanago> !r fudge+4
<Krysmbot> Takanago, +/-++4 = 5

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Cain

"Care with the custodians, Hekmatyar," he whispers, voice crackling through the team's comms. "They're moving too quietly, seems like they've already been retrofitted or commandeered. Something's down here with us. Everyone stay frosty, assume any movement is hostile."

He lets out a soft sigh, gritting his teeth.

"I'm gonna hate myself for this, but Hekmatyar, if you need to I'm reasonably sure you can backdoor into my systems and have a better shot at this whole thing. Just try and refrain from disabling my eyes and ears this time."

Moving up quietly, he keeps his senses alert, eyes zooming in on every possibly avenue of entry, ambush point, and piece of the environment that could be used in a pinch to thwart an attacker.

Advantage with Notice to create Situational Awareness:
Advantage with Notice: 4dF+4 4

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 12, 2014

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Madeline

As the Princess and Mali disappear from view, Madeline's eyes (all seven of them) drift up to a large HVAC vent near the top of the stairwell.

"Different angles? I can do that."

Razor-tipped tentacles lash out over her shoulders, quickly removing the vent cover and anchoring themselves in the thin metal walls of the ductwork. Not that anyone can actually see that. It's the work of a moment to pull herself up and start slithering through the building's ventilation system working her way downward. Good thing these archives need serious climate control to preserve their contents - makes it easier to get around. Also, Aliens was on last night. Violet loves those movies.

Using Athletics to create the advantage Oh God, It's In The Walls!

Creeping through the vents: 4dF+4 6

Seems like a good creepy/sneaky monster thing to be doing!

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Cain

"Goddamn, Knapp, watch Aliens again last night or something?"

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Madeline

"Yup! It's a good movie, and nothing else in my apartment will keep Violet's attention for that long - she really likes the last bit with the queen, I think. She even tried to slip a copy of it into my bag last time I was at Target."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Shirona nods at Mali, then signals her to follow as she probes further in the facility.

"More horror movies?" She reaches into her communicator, her mouth a bit too close to the mic. "That is a terrible influence for such a young creature." The company's last Scary Movie Night is still processing in her mind up to now.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Li Wu

"Can't tell what's still there," Li tells Shirona. "There's a cloaking field. I'm just gonna extend it to us."

Li could probably just remove it, but with her comrades moving silently while whispering about movies it's more useful this way. Once she's done, she checks the lobby for a vending machine and prepares to creep after the others.

Overcoming with Mythos to turn Occult Cloaking Field into All-Encompassing Occult Cloaking Field so its protections against remote sensing and scanning apply to us!

<Krysmbot> Ettin, -///+3 = 2 and I'll use one of my free invokes to make it 4.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Hyun-Ae

[ That backdoor's been there for, like, the last month, dude. I already got it. ] She waves at Li as she makes her way from the vending machine. [ Yo princess, it ain't so bad. It's probably just as scary for the little fella. I mean, how would you feel if a bunch of animals burnt your house down and shot up your family? Man is the real monster, man. ]

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

The vending machine eats Li Wu's change and then starts spitting awful gummy snacks out at a ridiculous rate. Hyun-Ae suddenly gets dumped back out of the janitor control system, bunches of error messages popping up, all of them gibberish. Then something peeks its head out of the corner of the screen. A little black gremlin thing, like a black shadow, laughs at her and capers across the screen. Those bastards have plugged in an infected drive and now the system is possessed by a daemon! That's when the anti-fire foam nozzles on the first floor go off.

Cain carefully turns another corner, and spots the way down to the next level. At first glance, the doors look benign... but then his enhanced eyes catch a glimmer of a monofilament line stretching across the hall in front of it. Once he sees the first, he spots several more. He also gets that slight fizzing that suggests they've got some electronic sensors pointed that way too. Nothing he can't bypass, but tricky to work on. Maddy, moving through the vents, has a clear path above them, but she can't get into the stairwell without climbing out - or making a hole...

Making good time for the other access, Shirona and Mali pause in a doorway to let a roomba pass, then continue around a corner - and come face to face with a creature as surprised to see them as they are to see it. Hanging from the ceiling with the claw at the end of its tail, it looks like a cross between a dog and an angry monkey, with the fur of an otter. The ahuizotl hisses at them, then uses its tail to fling itself down the hall way. It lands and skids across the tile, legs working without gaining any purchase for a moment like a bad cartoon, then it races off, probably to warn whoever summoned it.

Notes

So we're doing a challenge! I'm modifying it a bit for this situation. Your overall goal is to make it down to Subbasement B and its labs before the opposition gets away, and preferably without them detecting you. For this challenge, it will go in a few phases. To pass a phase, you only need to beat two of the obstacles, but if you beat all three you'll get a benefit. However, take longer than the number of passes listed and you'll have a penalty. A pass in this case will be each time I post, after each of you have had a chance to go.

pre:
Challenge Phase One
Bypass or Disable the Traps [+5]
Catch the Ahuizotl [+5]
Regain Control of the Janitor Roombas [+6]
Passes OOO
pre:
Stormtrack OOOOO
Watch In Effect [+0]

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"That is also what I'm saying, you should not traumatize her to that very fact at her ag- oh."

Shirona finds herself right in the path of the grotesque dog-monkey beast, and frowns. "Well, you look charming." The ahuizotl doesn't take that as a compliment at all, since it drops from the ceiling and bounds away.

"Please take pursuit, Mali. I will take another way and we will catch it on both sides." Recalling the layout map of this area, the Shinigami immediately bolts forward with a terrifying speed.

Gonna assume I made the aspect Getting the Drop on Things since we're infiltrating this base in style. Now, I invoke that to give Mali an advantage for this challenge by heading it off.

Athletics: ---+ +6 = 4. Gonna try to Corner the Beast.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Hyun-Ae

"The gently caress?" Hyun-Ae snaps up fast enough to throw her off balance, causing the rolling chair underneath her to slide away, dumping her on the ground. "Ow! C'mon, man!" She pulls her legs down and crawls under the desk to avoid the bubbly spray shooting everywhere. [ Possessed drive installed in the building control network, ya'll. Roombas be working against us. ]

Her fingers waggle wildly in the air as she simultaneously clears the errors, tags some movement on the cameras, and pulls up a line diagram of the building's computer system. [ Yo princess and Mali girl: you got something in your area. Marked it on the map. Get some. ]

"Just gotta isolate it," she mumbles to herself, tracing the diagram in the air with her finger. "Only a couple arcanotech drive bays that can support something big like that, right? Gotta be in an accessible location, too." A maintenance schematic pops up with the snap of a finger. "Security to main server, then to auxiliary control server, then to..."

Going to try and create the advantage Always Know the Expensive Bits using Arcanotech Appraisal: //+-+3 = 3

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Mali Sasithorn

"Yep!" Mali's feet are already moving. The woman sprints down the hallway and chases after the thing like it's the most natural thing in the world. She speeds around obstacles and corners almost effortlessly.

She only slows down, and just a little bit, to check her map every once in a while to see whether or not everything is moving into place correctly.

<Takanago> !r fudge+4
<Krysmbot> Takanago, /+/++4 = 6
Invoking Corner the Beast for a +2 to that, to make +8

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Cain FP: 4/5

"Roger that, treating all roombas as hostile from here out. Engage on sight, or leave 'em unharmed?"

He sees the wires and sensors, almost too late. Sucking air in through his teeth, he lets out the breath in a single long "Shiiiiiiiiiit."

"Area leading downstairs is boobytrapped, I've got visual on monofile tripwires and electronic sensors. This could get interesting."

But it's nothing out of the ordinary. Hell, dodging sensors and cutting tripwires was what, basic training material?

Holstering the pistol and creeping forward, he pulls a short, curved knife from his boot. Taking a deep breath, he extends metal hands toward the assortment of monofilament wires, ready to begin disabling them.

...And, naturally, he almost leans into one of the sensors. That fizzing, hissing sensation that cheap sensors give off REALLY throws him off at times.

Using Stealth to Bypass the Traps, taking the free tag on Situational Awareness for a +2.
Bypass the Traps (Stealth): 4dF+4 2

...and I'm going to invoke The Fifth Freedom for a reroll on that.
Bypass The Traps (Reroll): 4dF+4 5

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Madeline

Several glowing eyes peer through an overhead airvent at Agent Cain, hard at work on the doors.

"I'll scout ahead. I'd offer you a hand up, but I'm not sure you'd fit."

In the stairwell, all seems (relatively) normal, until a ceiling air vent clatters to the floor below, seemingly of its own accord. It's a rather loud impact. An attentive listener might hear the almost inaudible, panicked whisper from the ceiling:

"Oh, sugar."

Hmm, seems like most of the challenges have been passed already, if I understand how challenges work. My posting schedule is clearly not synched up with the rest of the group! I'll use Stealth to bypass the traps by simply creeping over them through the vents, using the free invoke of Oh God, It's In The Walls:

Bypassing traps: 4dF+6 4

Edit: Per the OOC thread, I am spending a Fate point to grab Cain's boost to put the total roll at 6

Emerald Rogue fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 13, 2014

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Li Wu
FP: 4

"Gah!" Li flails her way to the desk until she flops down next to Hyun-Ae like a silly foam monster.

"I have a program for this!" Li tries to send Hyun-Ae the right program. "Just find the drive and point this at it!"

Using Mythos to create the advantage Cybermantic Countermeasures:

<Krysmbot> Ettin, -///+3 = 2 Invoking Dangerous High-Tech Sorceress to make that a 4!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Hyun-Ae FP: 5/5

"... annnnnd to the auxiliary janitorial control system primary drives off the 2AJ breakers." Hyun-Ae accepts the program and immediately launches it at the drive cluster. After successfully logging back into the Roomba Commander™ app, she shoots finger guns in the air in celebration. "Get this amateur-hour bullshit outta my house, son!"

Using Systems with Always Know the Expensive Bits and Cybermantic Countermeasures to take it back (at the start of the next pass)!
Regain Control of the Roombas: 4dF+8 7 whatup

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Cain tied and got a boost so that obstacle was still there. If Maddy invokes the boost for a +2 on her roll, then that obstacle is done. Technically that took two passes to clear three obstacles, since Hyun-Ae went twice, but you're clear. New phase tonight!

Also some FP got spent, so the stormtrack will progress as well. See you in about 7 hours.

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Moved to OOC thread.

Emerald Rogue fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 13, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

The gremlin continues to caper and gesticulate on Hyun-Ae's screens, and is the process of blowing a big raspberry at her when its suddenly slammed into by a much larger digital spirit. The eudaemon throws its prey back and forth, then the whole screen freezes, jumps a bit, and clears. Li Wu gets a ping that her countermeasure has gone back into its cage and is digesting a largish chunk of data. The foam shuts off and Hyun-Ae gets command of the janitor roombas back.

The ahuizotl leads Mali on a merry chase through the corridors, taking full advantage of its extra limb and size to avoid her, and force her to take awkward paths around obstacles. It's not too bright, though, and with a little patience she herds it into a trap, forcing it down a corridor so it's trapped between her and Shirona. The creature flinches away from the shinigami's blade instinctively, and tries to leap over Mali! But the ex-thief hand's are too quick for that to work, and she grabs it. There's a bit of a struggle while the thing is subdued, but the little things are much more useful as spies and pranksters than they are as combatants. Now, what do they do with it? Banishing it is easy, but unraveling its summoning could reveal clues.

Cain manages not to set off the traps, but he's in a tight spot - pressed up against the door but not in a position where he has the leverage to open it without setting them off. Then Maddy pulls the door open from the other side and yanks him inside. From this side, Cain immediately spots an "off" switch taped to the door. Apparently the opposition expected to come back this way and didn't want to run afoul of their own traps.

The two teams make their way down, and Li has a chance to catch up with either one, since she doesn't have to sneak around or chase down minor Mesoamerican spirits.

The second basement level is dark, but no further surprises await you. As each group moves down the stair wells to Subbasement A, though, a strange feeling of foreboding settles on them. The lights are off here too, the power to them physically cut, preventing Hyun-Ae from turning them back on. More irritatingly, the fire suppressant foam was activated here, and left to run for a while. The halls are full of the stuff. It's non-toxic, but its slick, and its piled up in drifts four and five feet deep. Getting through it in the dark at anything like a reasonable pace is going to be a pain in the rear end. It'd be a lot simpler if you could get rid of it somehow. There's a spray that breaks the foam down, and there should be some canisters of it around here somewhere...

Especially since you're not alone down here. Little yellow eyes peek at you from vents and pop out of foam-drifts. Ahuizotls come in packs, and here's the rest of them. Those of you with some sort of occult sense or scanner can tell that there's a summoning circle set up somewhere on this floor as well, bringing in replacement spirits if any of the ahuizotls get taken out. It's not instantaneous though, so you can clear them out for a while. Disabling that circle is the only way to get rid of them completely though.

Hyun-Ae discovers a bigger issue. She manages to maneuver a roomba into the main stairwell down to Subbasement B. There's a flash of light bring enough to overwhelm the cameras and the feed is cut. Before it goes out, she gets a glimpse of a painful to look at pattern someone's drawn on the wall in blood. It's got a wire connection down to a tablet propped up against the wall. A Basilisk Mandala! It's a type of occult trap that projects a cone in front of it. Inside that cone, both mundane and magical computation is randomized. The upshot is that computers and spells get messed up, and even regular people suffer hallucinations and severe disorientation. It might be possible to rush by it, but it won't be pleasant and could be dangerous.

Notes

Shirona and Mali I'm throwing a compel your way on the ahuizotl you captured. Banishing it would be safe, but it's evidence! Be forewarned, keeping it around will mean complications later.

pre:
Challenge Phase One
Complete! 3/3, 2 passes
Challenge Phase Two
Three of four to progress.
Find the anti-foam spray [+6]
Get rid of the other ahuizotls [+6]
Disable to summoning circle [+8]
Bypass or disable Basilisk Mandala [+8]
Passes OOOOO
pre:
Stormtrack XXOOO
Watch In Effect [+0]

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"Good stuff, Li." She tries her best to knock some of the foam off of her. [ Yo team, we got roombas back. What whaaaaat. ]

She looks back at her display just in time to catch an eyeful of Basilisk patterns, which forces her to squint and remove her glasses momentarily. [ Be advised: Basilisk Mandala off the main stairwell into Subbasement B. ] Her mechanical minions are promptly redirected away from the trap and back towards the rest of the group. As the first roomba in the stack approaches the wall of foam, its vacuum kicks on and begins to clear the way. Several more fall into line behind it.

Meanwhile, Hyun-Ae dials up one of her old shops.

A pre-recorded voice answers. "You've reached the Uller Southwest Arcanotech Prototyping Lab at White Sands. Please - "

She begins mashing zero. "Calling someone for advice," she says, pointing to her earpiece. "You got anything in your bag of tricks to help disable that trap?"

Going to create the advantage That Man Has Your Vacuum! for the foam fighters using Systems: -/+/+4 = 4.

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 14, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

FP: 6 -> 5

Taking the compel.

"So much for lack of battle!" Shirona draws her sword once more, in the face of more ahuizotls and a variety of hazards. "These creatures did not just emerge here on their own. Give me a minute as I cut the ritual that summons them."

She gives Mali a salute and leaves her with their captive ahuizotl. Shirona gives her a moment to focus and project her mind throughout this floor. Shinigami training teaches her to find evil magic (or just magic really) wherever she might be. It comes back to her as a very trace echo, but she soon gets a sense of the summoning circle.

The foam threatens to break her stride with the devious trick of... foaminess on the floor. But Shirona just needs to follow the monkey-dogs. As in, she hops over their heads and uses them like jumping stone over the slick foam. It doesn't take long for her to locate the summoning circle in the midst of this pack.

It's just in front of her. When Shirona leaps off the last ahuizotl, she raises Dreamshaper up high in both hands. She comes down swinging, with a cut powerful enough to split the summoning circle (and a good chunk of floor) in twain.

Combat to assault the summoning circle: ++-+ +4 = 6. Since tearing up Wizard poo poo is her thing, I'm going to invoke Relic Hunter, Mage Slayer, Notorious at Both and raise this to 8. I'll go and overcome this with a minor cost.

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Cain FP:3

He sees the Basilisk Mandala about a second before it hits him - a lurching feeling of disorientation, like that first time he was on leave and went to a party with his DEVGRU buddies, and had entirely more to drink than a reasonable human being should. Or an unreasonable human being, such as the military's best and brightest anti-Mythos spec-ops hardasses.

But he lurches away from it, lets the feeling pass, and thinks for a moment. There was a LOT of foam on the floor. And some moron left a can of Cachelot Cola sitting on a table.

It wasn't the first time he'd done something like this, and it was never a particularly effective method, but it would work just once. And once was enough to take out the Mandala without raising any undue attention.

He scooped the can of soda off the table, quickly shaking it to see if it was empty. Thankfully, it was - but not for long. He drags it for a few passes through the foam on the floor, filling the can with the substance, and presses it up against the barrel of his pistol. Soda-can silencers were good for one shot, and one shot only. But he was former DEVGRU and current OOI - one shot was all he'd need.

Creating another Stealth advantage to make a soda-can silencer!
code:
(1:32:45 AM) TempusRimeblood: !r 4dF+2
(1:32:46 AM) Krysmbot: TempusRimeblood, -/+-+2 = 1
(1:32:50 AM) TempusRimeblood: fuuuuuck
Invoking The Fifth Freedom again for the reroll!
code:
(1:35:55 AM) TempusRimeblood: !r 4dF+2
(1:35:56 AM) Krysmbot: TempusRimeblood, /-+++2 = 3
(1:35:59 AM) TempusRimeblood: much better

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Madeline

In the gloom of a subbasement hallway, seven points of ruby light flare like dying stars before fading back into nothingness. A hollow, alien snarl echoes through the halls as Madeline's cheerful voice pipes up on the team's secure channel.

"Guys, Violet's getting twitchy with all these little monkey critters running around. I'm gonna let her run it out of her system and keep them out of your hair while you work. Okay Violet, go get 'em!"

The snarl builds to a wailing howl and a drift of foam explodes with the panicked scramble of dozens of panicked azuihotls, gibbering and screaming as they flee from the half-seen, darting form of the tager and it's whipping, razor-edged tentacles. One tentacle wraps around an azuihotl and drags the psuedo-simian towards the tager's flickering shape. It vanishes in a wet, messy crunch and spray of black ichor.

"Awww, Violet! That better not get on my coat. Yuck."

Maddy and Violet are going to start ambushing the other ahuizotls through the darkened basement using Combat.

Hunting ahuizotl: 4dF+4 7

I will add a free invoke of the Invisible Girl aspect to raise the total to 9 and succeed with style! I think that gives me a boost, which can be up for grabs if anyone needs it. I'm not sure if the boost needs a name like a normal aspect, so I'll call it this if needed - Flush 'Em Out!

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Li Wu

Li leaves the Li-shaped foam blob in the lobby and hustles over to catch up with the B team. When she gets there, she's already got her data cube out.

[ I can weaken it with a Nagi fractal, but only temporarily. You better have a plan! ]

Li's cube starts displaying some kind of weird fractal that makes you feel fuzzy if you watch it spin.

The fractal can weaken the cone for a few seconds before it loses its power, but that should be enough. Once the others are ready, Li flips the screen around and edges it around the corner to face the mandala.

Using Mythos to create the advantage Strange Attractor:

<Krysmbot> Ettin, ++--+3 = 3

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Mali Sasithorn

"I'll take care of the foam. I'm going with the roombas!" Mali starts running after the vacuuming robots. As soon as she reaches the part of the floor formerly covered by foam, she just stops moving her feet and starts sliding.

"That stuff's gotta be..." After only a couple sick cool drifts around slippery corners, Mali spots a supply closet. "...right here." After digging through a pile of industrial-strengths cleaners and disinfectants, she produces an armful of de-foamer spray canisters.

"Alright, everyone," she calls out, now wielding one in each hand. "I got the hook up on the anti-foam stuff!"

Notice to overcome foam and spot the spray:
<Takanago> !r fudge+5
<Krysmbot> Takanago, ++-++5 = 7
Apply the boost from my last roll to add +2 to this and make it succeed with style on a 9. ...Giving me another boost. Call it Ultra-Strengh Cleaning Sprays.
I'd have done something with the vacuum advantage but I already have so many numbers. :shobon:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Shirona slices cleanly through the summoning circle, using the approved shinigami ward-defeating technique. The circle flares and the runes disentagle, and the portal begins to close. Unfortunately, whoever rigged this up did it in a field expedient manner that didn't take safety into account. The improperly grounded grid suddenly lets with a WHOMPF, a massive surge of energy causing Shiron's hair to stand on end. The portal snaps closed, then space twists around it - and Shirona finds herself falling onto a counter, sending lad equipment flying, bounces off it, and crashes onto the floor, and then has to cover her head as several chairs and a couple car batteries try to crack her skull.

It takes a moment to regain her bearings - not least because the ceiling above her looks like the floor she was just standing on. In fact, it is. The portal actually flipped that part of the floor upside down, taking her with it, and dumping her into the room below. At least she's on the right floor. Unfortunately, she can see the AR displays in here flashing red lockdown warnings, and its clearly a clean occult lab, so it will be well shielded and the thick door is locked. Going to be tricky getting out. She can still hear the others on her communications gear though.

Madeline and Violet chase the ahuizotls across the basement level, making quick work of the aztecals. They screech and throw nasty things, but they're crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Mali finds the maintenance closet with the anti-foam spray, and quickly clears a path.

All that remains is to shut down that basilisk mandala, then they can go and get Shirona, and figure out what the hell is going on down here.

Notes

Shirona's fallen into a locked down lab in the level below. She can still help on bypassing obstacles but only using methods that don't require her physical presence - advice, knowledge, etc. Next Phase there will be obstacle to free her.

pre:
Challenge Phase One
Complete! 3/3, 2 passes
Challenge Phase Two
Three of four to progress.
Find the anti-foam spray [+6]
Get rid of the other ahuizotls [+6]
Disable to summoning circle [+8]
Bypass or disable Basilisk Mandala [+8]
Passes XOOOO
pre:
Stormtrack XXXXO
Watch In Effect [+0]

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Cain

Levelling his pistol at the now mostly-distracted mandala, he gives Li a slight nod.

"Thanks for the backup. Tryin' to take this thing out without your...spell ward thing would've messed up my day pretty well."

It's easy enough to aim the pistol, even ignoring the lagging feeling in his mechanical arms. The soda-can silencer sits firmly on the barrel of the gun, ensuring there's no way any other hostiles are going to know he's coming.

A quick cough, and the trap is down.

Taking tags on Strange Attractor, Soda-Can Silencer, and Tactical Movement, rolling Combat at +11!
Take Out The Mandala (Combat): 4dF+11 11
That's a success with style, creating the boost Like A Ghost.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Cain makes a perfect shot, putting a hole through the tablet and shutting it down with extreme prejudice. There's a screech of feedback, then the mandala on the wall begins to fizz and pop as it burns up. You've got a clear shot down into Subbasement B.

Hyun-Ae's control down here is limited - the invaders have cut or broken a lot of connections and she has to keep routing through backdoors. Getting some roombas and the rest of the teams comm gear in proximity with whats left of the net down there is a big help, though, and she quickly finds their quarry.

About five people are milling around in the target lab. They're dressed in chic black urban clothes, very European, and wearing goggles and masks. She notices that they're wearing silver seashell pins. The Coquillards are an infamous group of relic thieves, who love to thumb their noses at the authorities. The latest in a line of capable and daring European gangs who trace their lineage back to the jewel heist masters, the Pink Panthers. They don't work for cheap.

She notices two other important things. Two of the thieves are working on a magic circle on the floor. They've got a sedated black goat and a silver knife, and a serious looking laptop. Definitely opening a gate to get out of here. They've got several hard cases stacked nearby, clearly the loot. Oddly, Hyun-Ae can't figure out what they've grabbed. Then another case gets passed over from outside the camera's viewing angle - where there shouldn't be a room at all.

Meanwhile, the Mark III is sitting right on the counter where it's supposed to be, even though the walls of the lab are blown out to either side. It's not pristine, though. A whole bunch of extra equipment has been wired into it, and a tablet has been duct taped on top. One of the Coquillards checks his phone, shouts something to the others, and punches in some numbers on the tablet. A timer starts counting down from five minutes. It's been turned into a bomb!

Notes

Last phase! It's a ticking magical time bomb! You can also try and grab some of the thieves before they escape!

Any boosts or aspects you've got hanging around can get re-purposed here. Shirona would need to get by her obstacle before she can lend any sort of physical aid to the rest of you. You need to clear the bomb obstacle or Bad Things will happen. Everything else is optional, but you get big bonuses if you grab the thieves before they escape. Additionally, since you cleared all the obstacles on the prior phases, you get the aspects Caught Them By Surprise and No More Cards Up Their Sleeves with one free invoke each.

pre:
Challenge Phase One
Complete! 3/3, 2 passes
Challenge Phase Two
Complete! 4/4, 2 passes

Challenge Phase Three
Disarm the Bomb [+10] (Mandatory)
Capture Thieves [+10]
Release Shirona [+6]
Passes OOO
pre:
Stormtrack XXXXO
Watch In Effect [+0]

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

[ Yo, roomba cameras just lost Shirona. Anyone got a fix on her? ] With the foam threat firmly stopped, Hyun-Ae returns to her place at the security desk's rolling chair. [ Scratch that, I see her. And, uh... ]

She jumps to her feet when the bomb comes up on her feeds. [ Holy f - hold tight, got a phone call. ] While her statement may be bafflingly inappropriate to everyone else, the static-filled voice on the other end had a skill set that was quite relevant to the situation. "Yo Heph, uh... Hi, yeah, doing good. I guess. ... Look, I ain't got time right now. Bringing a feed up. I was calling about a Mandala, but things changed. Need some bomb diffusing advice. We can talk later."

One of the roombas drives towards the device at her command. An overlay with instructions appears over her camera feed. [ Sorry, I'm back. Got some advice on the line. Ya'll don't worry, I totally got this. Go rescue our princess. ]

Using Contacts to create the advantage Phone a Friend: +/-++5 = 6
Also, repurposing Security Desk into DIY EOD Bot to represent enhanced roomba control!

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 18, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

FP: 5

"Huh."

Shirona dusts herself off, kicks away a car batteries that attempted to assassinate her, and takes stock of the flashing red light. Not exactly what she expected from a standard ward-slashing technique. It also looks like a lot of defenses to punch through as well to get out.

"If any of you saw me suddenly disappear into view and sink into the floor below, know that I am not dead." She buzzes that through her communicator, then checks out the thick doors with a strike from her blade. "Also, I might need help."

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?
Cain FP:3

Creeping down the stairs, the cyborg first sees the shadows move. Then, coming down, the silhouettes. Five hostiles. No idea what they were carrying, but that stopped mattering right around the time he stopped having internal organs. Then the bomb. That...would be problematic, if not otherwise handled.

"Someone see to Shirona," he mutters into comms. "I can handle these hostiles, no problem."

Creeping forward through the shadows, it was easy enough to make his assault. Just a few more inches through the shadows, and he springs out, pouncing one goon and cracking his head into the floor with a satisfying THUD. The next turns around with a "Huh?" in time to catch a boot to the jaw. Diving across the room into a roll, he comes up hard with an uppercut into the third, spinning to drive an elbow into the fourth's face, and taking a running punch at the last one, metal fist colliding with the poor bastard's masked face with a loud clunk, sending him spiraling to the floor.

"Well, that's taken care of," he says, fingers pressed to his comlink. "Work your magic, Hekmatyar."

Rolling Combat again, using Cain's stunt One-Man Strike Team, along with the tags Like A Ghost, and Caught Them By Surprise to Capture The Thieves by knocking them out cold.

Capture The Thieves (Combat): 4dF+11 12

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 18, 2014

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Mali Sasithorn
FP: 5/5

"drat," Mali searches for Shirona's new whereabouts on the lab map. "I gotta learn tricks like that. If I had those moves, I could be goddamn anywhere." She soon pinpoints the princess's location on the floor below. "Right, hold on."

Then, she runs down the corridors, jumps down the stairs, and goes all the way back to about where she was before. Combined with the amount of running she had done so far, this starts to make the whole mission a bit of a workout. "Whew, okay," she says, catching her breath. "I'm gonna have this door done in just a sec."

Mali drops her bag on the floor and, like usual, the first thing visible upon opening it is that ominous crystal skull. It happens to be staring at her with the intensity of thousands of evils, which would be pretty drat scary if that wasn't what it did all the time and also if it weren't wearing that kickin' rad opaque visor that Mali got for it. It was a good purchase.

But Mali simply reaches past the thing and pulls an electronic multitool, with which she starts to tamper with the door lock. A diagram of the entrance's complex circuitry pops up on the device's screen. Most of it, unfortunately, turns out to be a set of redundant locking systems which have all been forcefully shut due to the high lockdown. While nothing extraordinary, it is the kind of thing which is quite frustrating and time-consuming to disable. On the other hand, it is also the kind of a thing which happens to have a particular kind of hardware weakness...

"This is shut down pretty tight, but I got this." Using the multitool, she cracks open a small panel on the door to reveal the guts of the door's electronics. Then, she grabs one of the spraycans of industrial cleaner and carefully and precisely starts spraying it inside to short-circuit the poo poo out of it.

"Watch out, this might be a bit sudden."

Freeing Shirona (Overcome) with Burglary:
<Takanago> !r fudge+5
<Krysmbot> Takanago, +--++5 = 5
Tagging Ultra-Strengh Cleaning Sprays for a +2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013
Madeline

As Madeline lopes down a basement corridor toward the lab - idly picking azuihotl bits out of the serrations on her tentacles - she hears the bad news over the radio.

A bomb? Nobody said anything about bombs this morning! Panic starts to well up in the back of Madeline's head, but she quickly stomps it down, with the help of a reassuring chirp from Violet. Nobody else on the team is wigging out, so there's no reason you should either. Take a deep breath and go find something useful to do!

Peeking around a corner into the lab, Madeline focuses her attention and twists the ambient light in the room, concentrating the overhead lights on the bomb and bending the path of the beams to eliminate as many shadows from the device as possible. Several points of space between the bomb and Hyun-Ae's commandeered roomba compress and bend into improvised magnifying lenses.

"Guys, let me know where you need some lights. Finally found a use for that photography class I took."

Using Optic Warp to create the advantage Zoom. Enhance! which will be up for grabs for anyone who wants it.

Zoom! Enhance!: 4dF+4 4

• Locked thread