Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«11 »
  • Locked thread
Mitama
Feb 28, 2011



Princess Shirona of Celephaïs
FP: 5

Shirona slips right out of there as the doors open with a jolt. That was a short, if nauseating experience. She's not used to being confined in such small spaces.

"Thank you, Mali Sasithorn. You will be rewarded when we return from this." She smiles, then remembers all the chatter going earlier. "Oh, did someone mention hostile forces earlier?"

Mitama fucked around with this message at Jun 18, 2014 around 23:20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Cain

"That would've been me. Five hostiles, all down and unconscious. We can interrogate them later, but we've got some kind of improvised explosive device set up here. I'd advise clearing the area, but it's your call."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Hyun-Ae FP: 5/5

A few AR markers appear around the bomb to indicate where Madeline should place her spotlights.

Meanwhile, Hyun-Ae is sweating profusely behind the security desk.

She reaches forwards slowly, her hand motions mapped to the tiny manipulator arms extending out of the roomba. All the best help in the world didn't really lessen the fact that she, a corporate pencil pusher, was currently disarming her first bomb in close proximity to her coworkers. [ Uh... Yo, ya'll think we should maybe move away from this thing? Y'know, a little. Just saying. Or not. Whatever. We got good life insurance. 'Sall good. I got this. ]

Her nervous jabbering stops abruptly as the last few steps pop up. She follows the overlay's directions as precisely as she can.

Snip. Snip. Snip.

[ ... Ya'll still down there? ]

Disarming the bomb using Systems, along with Phone a Friend, DIY EOD Bot, and Zoom. Enhance!
TPK COMIN AT YA: 4dF+10 13

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


There's a moment of silence after Hyun-Ae's servitor cuts the wire. The tablet counter runs down to zero. Nothing explodes.

Looks like it worked!

Cain's got a pile of unconscious thieves and a bemused goat, plus about a dozen hard sided cases for what they took. Except... Li Wu's inventory still shows nothing out of place. And they clearly didn't go into the storerooms or archives. They just set up traps in the corridors. So where did all this stuff come from? And what is it?

Part of the answer is obvious. Behind one of the collapsed walls is an old corridor, almost more of a tunnel, leading off who knows where. The Coquillards have slapped glow tabs along it, lighting the way with a sickly greenish glow.

Notes
Ashton Adventure File Mk I

Challenges complete! You have prisoners and recovered the stuff they took. Now you just have to figure out what the hell it actually is.

pre:
Challenge Phase One
Complete! 3/3, 2 passes
Challenge Phase Two
Complete! 4/4, 2 passes

Challenge Phase Three
Disarm the Bomb [+10] (Mandatory)
Capture Thieves [+10]
Release Shirona [+6]
Passes OOO
pre:
Stormtrack XXXXO
Watch In Effect [+0]

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Cain FP: 3

"Good work on that defuse, Hekmatyar - wish I'd had someone like you piloting the AEOD drones back in DEVGRU. But, I'm a little hesitant to call it 'mission accomplished' just yet, team," he says, looking over the unconscious people and now-conscious goat.

"First off, I for one would like to know what's in these cases. What the hell could be so important it's worth this kind of raid? Meantime, I'll secure these guys," he says, zip-tying their wrists and ankles. "When we're getting out of here we'll drag 'em out, see who they're working for - this kind of raid's never done just to sell the loot on the black market. A strike like this always has a backer."

He stops, thinks for a second.

"And that passageway is definitely strange. Hekmatyar, you got anything related to that in the schematics?"

Tempus Rimeblood fucked around with this message at Jun 19, 2014 around 01:57

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Hyun-Ae FP: 5/5

[ Gonna assume that acronym stuff is good. Thanks. Nice work, team. ] She wipes her brow on her shirt and drops back into her chair. [ In the mean time, I'm gonna skip the part where I dig through tech documents and just assume the tunnel ain't on any documentation. I mean, look. That ain't up to no safety code I ever saw. ]

Not that safety code ever meant anything to her besides a shrunken profit margin, of course. Hyun-Ae kicks her feet up on the table with a relieved sigh. [ Ya'll feel free to make like Scooby Doo or whatever. I'll call the boss lady and let her know what's up. ]

"Thanks, Heph." She scans the foam-filled space around her for any signs of her teammates. "Nobody can know about this. I owe you a solid. ... Lunch? Hah. You don't even eat, man. Yeah, sure. Hey, lemme call you back after I'm done here. ... Yeah, lates."

The Director is called in short order. "Hey ma'am, whatup? Crisis averted, yo. Bombs got diffused and stuff."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010


Li Wu

"Huh. There a secret room in here?"

Li drops a case on a counter and opens it. "Let's see what's in there, first..."

Notice! <Krysmbot> Ettin, /+-/+5 = 5

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011



Princess Shirona of Celephaïs
FP: 5

"I knew you all wouldn't let us die untimely over an explosion." Shirona beams, sheathing her sword. "Glorious battle against forces of the unknown perhaps, but not a cheap explosive and crushing debris. Who writes stories with an end like that?"

She wished that she did a bit more than cut down a summoning ward, though. Maybe there's chance for greater glory yet. So she helps Li Wu check out the tunnel as well. "If this were the Dreamlands, I could just cut the time we would waste walking through this tunnel and end up right where the dramatic part starts."

Rolling Notice (or Dreamlands Lore, they're both +4) to see things beyond what's immediately visible on the tunnel: +--+ +4 = 4.

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013


Madeline

"Oh great, we didn't blow up! Yay - 'scuse me, I'm gonna go freak out a little bit in the corner now. Be right back."

Relaxing her hold over the local photons, Madeline quickly turns away from the rest of the team and hunches over, quietly hyperventilating. Calm down, Maddy! Nobody else is having a panic attack, despite the monkey things and that seizure-inducing graffiti and the Euro-looking fashion plates bleeding on the floor who just tried to blow this entire building into another dimension ... okay. Okay. Violet's getting worried. Straighten up and do your job, Action Intern. Besides, you've never puked while merged with Violet and that's not an experiment that needs to be done at the moment.

Blowing out a sharp breath from the gill-like structures on her back - the lab nerds still weren't sure exactly what they were - Madeline straightens up and turns toward the rest of the team.

"Okay, I'm better now. Princess, let me know if that tunnel is clear and I'll scout ahead."

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Mali Sasithorn
FP: 5/5

"This was one helluva job. I mean, poo poo, digging a tunnel like that is dedication. Like, that's something you usually do when you've got breaking-out-of-prison time on your hands. Whatever this was about must be pretty important."

She crosses her arms and looks over the crime scene. "You got this tunnel here, the portal, the bomb, and whoever these guys-" Upon taking a single look at the crooks, she instantly stops. "poo poo! It's the Coquillards! No loving wonder, these guys are total pros. This is some serious, high-stakes poo poo."

"So these guys dug in here, started stealing stuff, set up the portal for an escape and they blew up..." Mali looks around at the rubble left from the blast. "Actually, what did they blow up. It was the Mark Three right?" She points to the machine. "What's the point of the explosion, anyway? Like, I get the part where they wanted to cover up their trail, but..."

"It just doesn't seem right."

Investigating the bomb/explosion with notice:
<Takanago> !r fudge+5
<Krysmbot> Takanago, +/-/+5 = 5

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Mali checks out the wreckage. This is real weird. The Mark III is definitely the epicenter of the explosion, but it's also definitely unharmed. As she pokes around, she starts to put together a picture. The explosion was shaped - it blew out horizontally. No real vertical component at all. There's also a space around the Mark III that is totally untouched, in a radius of about 3m. Just about enough space for five people with gear, if they're friendly.

As Shirona investigates the tunnel, she can see its been made with magic. Someone used a spell to shift the dirt over to the side. Quick and dirty, and very unstable. From visual inspection she can see they shored it up with quick-hardening sealant, then stuck up the glow tabs. They moved fast, and didn't care that it'd hold for only a few hours. About five meters down, one side of the tunnel is the exposed the wall of an old foundation. Five meters further, she can see that they cut through another wall and into an actual corridor. After a moment, she twigs as to the strangeness. They dug this tunnel from the side she's on, out of the lab. Not into it.

Li Wu pops open the case to find it full of files. Actual, honest to Elder Gods paper files. Some of them are even handwritten, though the majority were done on a typewriter. The paper is old enough to have yellowed, but its in otherwise in good shape. They're all dated a long time ago, nearly a hundred years. As she flips through them, they start to make sense. Well, sort of. She knows everything in these notes, but the person who wrote them was just figuring it out. Modern magic, from base principles. Primitive summoning grids. Computational daemonology on silicon motherboards. Gigantic, inefficient, overbuilt d-drives. It's like flipping through the notes from the Manhattan Project.

These are Annabelle Ashton's personal notes.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Jun 20, 2014 around 02:12

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010


Li Wu

"Wā! These are the Foundation founder's notes?"

"...What the hell was going on here?"

Compelling Collector Of Ancient Secrets to start this brainstorm!

Rolling to establish my first fact while I'm here, Archaeology with the One Abridged Book Of Hsan:

<Krysmbot> Ettin, -+/++6 = 7

Ettin fucked around with this message at Jun 20, 2014 around 03:37

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Hyun-Ae FP: 5/5

The roomba slowly rolls over to Li Wu and watches over her shoulder. Little escaped Hyun-Ae's supervising eye.

"... Lemme call you back." She zooms in on the files. [ You for real? ]

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Brainstorm! You have a chance to see what's at the end of the tunnel first, and then we'll kick it off. Remember to compel an aspect to join, which will net you a fate point.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011



Princess Shirona of Celephaïs
FP: 5

"The tunnel was dug in from this side, though." Shirona blinks and ponders. "If the goat was their escape route, then this tunnel was for a different reason. I'll help you scout this tunnel, Madeline, but be careful, it's not stable."

"...Hold on," She switches her attention to Li Wu. "Annabelle Ashton's notes? I suppose they would be of historical value, if nothing else." She is not familiar enough with the occult history of this world to tell, but it would rude not to know of the Foundation's founder. "Perhaps a collector hired them? But if that is what they were after..."

She heads through the tunnel to find out more.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


The corridor at the end of the tunnel is old and damaged, but passable. When Maddy and Shirona scout it out, they find that to the left it's been bricked off a long time ago. Literally bricked off. To the right, there's a metal door that's been propped open. Beyond is a very old workshop. The thieves were clearly at work here - the long workbenches have blank spots in the dust where things were taken away, and there are boot prints all over. They were very thorough, so there's not much left in here besides basic equipment, some very old monitors (though the computers themselves are gone). Some of the benches have old style magic circles and soldered summoning grids on them. Its a very primitive and long abandoned occult laboratory.

As Li Wu cracks open more cases, she finds not only more notes, but the internals of several computers, kludged together arcanotechnological tools, and what looks like a small, disassembled model of a d-drive. There's a type-writer, a bunch of old external drives, a collection of ritual objects. And finally a box containing much older records, all of these handwritten or typed, with a case of black and white photographs, nearly twice as old as the rest. The cover of the first folio reads: Miskatonic-Oxford Central Asian Expedition, 1920-22.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Hyun-Ae FP: 6

[ Might not necessarily be a collector, y'know. ] The roomba wanders the room, remotely mimicking Hyun-Ae's dramatic pacing. [ Those notes are some super high-level industry secrets, man. Even if those designs are totally outdated, all the value's in the thought process and the details. I know my division at Uller had, like, a million a year budgeted just to try and steal those things so we could make some off-brand stuff and stop paying the foundation their royalties. ]

The roomba slowly makes its way through the tunnel, waggling its stubby arms the whole time. [ The thing is, I basically embezzled all of it every year. My more motivated replacement might be using the money for real now. Hold on, let me check some things... ]

Compelling I'm Tellin' Ya'll It's SABOTAGE. Because it totally is. Gonna use Arcanotech Appraisal (+3). //+++3 = 5

Atlatl fucked around with this message at Jun 20, 2014 around 03:41

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Cain FP:4

"Wait. THE Ashton notes? Jesus H. Christ. No wonder these guys went to these lengths. Let me get in touch with some people, find out what I can about who might be backing these guys."

He presses a finger to his comlink, kneeling down and beginning to speak.

"This is Cain calling Enoch, I say again, Cain calling Enoch. When the Lord said to Cain, 'Where is your brother Abel?' 'I do not know,' he replied, 'Am I my brother's keeper?'"

Crackling through his ear, he hears the familiar, warm voice he's grown to know so well over the years at the OOI. "Cain, this is Enoch, you've got Lilith. Surprised you're calling in - what's the protocol you need, Agent?"

He pauses for a second. Sizes up the situation.

"Give me access to the Book of Nod protocols, Lilith. I need everything we've got on the Coquillards. Gang of Euro-based relic thieves, they've infiltrated Ashton, tried to recover relics, and tried to plant an IED in the archives. I've got them out cold here, but I need lists of known associates and buyers - anybody who could be backing these guys. And I need it ASAP, we're on-op and there's potential for this to go further down the sliding scale of poo poo."

Compelling The Fifth Freedom. Cain's a spy, he wants to know who these guys are, why they're in his AO, and who put them there. Using Contacts to go for something.

Contacts: 4dF+3 2

...And Invoking Cain's previously-unrevealed Banter Aspect, Battle Chatter, for a re-roll on that!

Contacts (Battle Chatter): 4dF+3 5

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013


Madeline

Madeline flickers into view near Li Wu and the opened cases, all seven eyes widening at the array of stuff on display.

"Wow, this is all Annabelle's Ashton's stuff, huh? Maybe this was one of her labs or something. Li, let me help you look through some of this stuff - I did some research on Annabelle Ashton for a women's studies elective I took. I'm no expert, but I know enough to give you a hand. Well, two hands and a pair of tentacles, anyway."

Madeline begins carefully sifting through the paper records, using just the tips of her tentacles to avoid damaging the brittle old records. These photos are really old! And who the hell steals a typewriter?

I'm in! I'll invoke The Girl Next Door aspect - Maddy may not have military contacts or relative technical knowledge, but she does have a good pair of (tager-augmented) eyes, access to Wikipedia, and a willingness to help out.

Notice: 4dF+4 5

Man, I need to invest in some more relevant skills/aspects for this job!

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011



Princess Shirona of Celephaïs
FP: 5 -> 6

"I see." Shirona nods, still investigating this derelict lab. "They certainly knew where and how to find the papers. The end of these tunnels lead to what I assume was Dr. Ashton's workshop, sealed away from the rest of this underground complex. The thieves were definitely all over this place. I will see what I can find."

There's not much light around here, save for the glow tabs. Shirona draws out Dreamshaper, hoping the cat spirits flitting along her blade right now will provide a brighter, steadier light.

I'll compel Relic Hunter, Mage Slayer, Notorious at Both: what were wizard-thieves looking to achieve, digging up long-buried occult treatises?

Also going to Notice stuff in this lab: //+- +4 = 4. Darn, a +1 would have at least been enough to invoke and tie with Li. :P

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Mali Sasithorn
FP: 5 -> 6/5

"Wait, poo poo, you're right. These tunnels are from this side. And then there's all that workshop stuff, too." Mali sighs. "This is weirder than I thought. There has got to be something up with this..."

She snaps her fingers dramatically, like she just got a brilliant idea. "I mean, poo poo, with the Ashton Notes and all this old equipment, you could go, like, all the way back to the fundamental ideas of occult science, and, and..."

A flash of frustration washes across her face. "...gently caress, I don't know. But something, you know? Right?"

Compelling Insatiable Curiosity and Rolling Occult History (Mythos) for the brainstorm:
<Takanago> !r fudge + 1
<Krysmbot> Takanago, +/-- + 1 = 0

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Hyun-Ae FP: 6

Hyun-Ae logs out of her still-not-deleted Uller Finance Division account. [ ... Nope, he's embezzling it too. Swing and a miss. ]

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


The 7 has it! Li Wu, name your fact, everyone roll again.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010


Li Wu

"Hmm, hmmm..."

Li Wu flips through it, then to the first few pages.

"Oh, they were definitely having a look at this. Let's see... oh, I heard about this! Miskatonic went to the Plateau of Leng in the 1920s. NATO went later and it made it to WikiLeaks but everyone thought they were just trying to spy on China. But Annabelle read between the lines. It's partly what got her so interested in this stuff."

"Maybe she found something else there and that's what they're after?" Li puts that aside so she doesn't lose it and thumbs through the records.


My fact will be Relics From Tibet!

Mythos this time! <Krysmbot> Ettin, ////+3 = 3

Ettin fucked around with this message at Jun 23, 2014 around 01:30

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011



Princess Shirona of Celephaïs
FP: 6 -> 4

"Leng?" Shirona says, not finding much evidence down in the laboratory. "I know of a plateau of that name, but it is north of the Dreamlands, not here on Earth. Unless we're speaking of different plateaus or there are non-Euclidean shenanigans afoot." At this point, the chances of the latter are pretty likely

She dusts off a nearby tome, conveniently about the Dream Cycle. Not entirely an accurate tome, but maybe she can glean some of Ashton's logic from here.

Dreamlands Lore to connect Tibet to the Dreamlands: /+/- +4 = 4. Willing to invoke Knight-Errant from the Dreamlands and Stranger in a Strange Reality to kick it to 8.

Mitama fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2014 around 05:04

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Cain FP: 4

Cain continues to chatter away into his comms, taking the conversation into account.

"Enoch, this is Cain. Refine your search to buyers interested in Tibetan artifacts and/or information. I need to know this stuff ASAP, Lilith - I don't think I need to remind you of the intel failure in Budapest, unless you're interested in the fact that that one resulted in Tech division fishing rocket shrapnel out of my...pretty much everything."

Rolling Contacts again to try to get something tying the Coquillards to Tibetan artifacts!

Contacts: 4dF+3 0

I'm not even going to bother trying to reroll that.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Hyun-Ae FP: 6

[ When is there not non-Euclidean shenanigans afoot? ] She taps through Wikipedia lazily as the roomba makes another circuit around the lab, vacuuming up all the dust they were kicking up. [ You got family or something there, princess? ]

Rolling Mythos: +-/-+3 = 2

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013


Madeline

Sounds like Li made some progress on these files. Glad someone can make sense of this mess.

"Tibet? Well, that helps narrow it down. Guess I can ignore all these notes about ... aglets? What's an aglet ... hm, it doesn't say much about them except that 'their true purpose may be sinister.' Does that mean anything to anybody?

Shrugging, Maddy moves on to the next box of files, statuettes, ritual implements and what appears to be a very old baguette.


Trying to Notice more facts!: 4dF+4 2

Bleh.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Mali Sasithorn
FP: 6

"So, someone went to Europe to get some crooks to sneak into an American building to get some dirt on some Tibetan relics that may also be connected to the dreamworld." Mali sighs and scratches her head. "Man, I know we live in a global world and all, but that's some far-out poo poo. If I were them, I would've gone with a plan that didn't span four continents."

"But poo poo," she smirks, "I ain't nowhere near as fancy as these guys are. I've heard stories about the kind of plans they pull off sometimes. They get into some crazy poo poo."

Contacts:
<Takanago> !r fudge+3
<Krysmbot> Takanago, +/-++3 = 4

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


The Director calls Hyung-Ae back. "I put this up the chain of command, such as it is, and the State Police are sending someone to take custody. The FSB office in Boston is tied up with some kind of robbery at Logan, so they won't be in our hair for a while. We've got an investigative agreement so you'll still be in charge. Do you need anything else from me for now?" She's obviously keeping a lid on it, but you can hear the excitement in her voice over the discovery.

Notes
Shirona can state a fact and begin last round! Difficulty here is 8.

The storm is coming in now so difficulties of anything that puts you up against it - driving in it, calling in contacts to arrive physically, that sort of thing - are increased by +1.

pre:
Stormtrack XOOOO
Warning in Effect [+1]

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011



Princess Shirona of Celephaïs
FP: 4

"That is exactly it." Shirona sets aside the tome, after flipping around a bit. "If these thieves have a convenient way to go in and out of the Dreamlands, it would not only be trivial to cross those distances in such a short time, but evade conventional surveillance until they strike. Mind you, if they can do that, they have access to some very rare and powerful magic. Or a Shinigami."

Well, let's try not to focus too hard on the last bit.

"I do have family up there, Hyun-Ae, but you probably do not want to meet him." Shirona has been in this room long enough to affect it with her presence. Surely even more clues would beckon to her at this point. "My cousin committed some crime or another in the court and Father banished him to take care of a quaint little castle up in the northern wastes. He is not a pleasant person."

On the other hand, he would surely know the way to the Leng in the Dreamlands. Groan.

I'm going to declare that The Thieves Use The Dreamlands As A Shortcut. How and why are the things she needs to find out.

Dreamlands Lore/Lucid Dreamer to 'will' more clues to appear :P: //++ +4 = 6. Hahaha, we have all the victory points we need, so I'll let someone else attempt to score the last fact.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Hyun-Ae FP: 6

"Naw, we got this under control, ma'am. I'll take these culprits in-house, aight? I'll fill you in once we're back." Hyun-Ae hangs up and looks to Shirona. "Shortcuts through the Dreamlands? Probably a Shinigami. I know a few coyotes that run that route. Lemme dial one up, see if they know what's going down. 'Scuse me a sec."

She cuts her communications to the team while she makes the call.

[00:59] Atlatl contacts roll for the brainstorm
[00:59] Atlatl !r fudge+5
[00:59] Krysmbot Atlatl, -//-+5 = 3
NOPE

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010


Li Wu

"So, whyyy did they go to the trouble of going through the Dreamlands for these?" Li asks herself.

She flicks through the pages again. That's a terrible way to check notes though.

Archaeology: <Krysmbot> Ettin, ---/+5 = 2 oh nooo

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

Agent Cain FP: 3

Nothing came through over comms. Nothing at all. Not even static indicating they'd failed. He briefly contemplated the fact that he was likely on hold. That didn't really fly with him, as he'd already stated the urgency of the situation.

Granted, if he knew Lilith, she probably left his comms on a full link to the office, so the attachés could all hear what he needed and try to triangulate surrounding sounds. So he took a brief moment to express his frustration - muting his link to the team's network, he overloads his comms to home base with feedback, producing a deafening screech on the other end.

"Alright, hell with that option," he mutters. "Time for Plan B."

He turns to one of the Coquillards passed out on the floor, grabbing the one whose jaw looks to NOT be broken and hoisting him up, shaking the thief awake roughly.

"Hey. Wake up," he says, gripping the thief by the collar and pushing him up against the wall.

The cyborg looks into the Coquillard's face, his own countenance a mask of emotionless calm, like he's done this a thousand times before and it's nothing more complex than lacing up his boots in the morning.

"You and I are going to have a little talk. You're going to tell me everything you know about this operation. Who's backing you, why they want the merchandise, and what's so goddamn important about Tibet. And now. Before I have to say please."

His eyes narrow slightly, as though to drive the point home at the point of a glared dagger.

Taking a Provoke roll to try to intimidate this guy into coughing something up, and I'll invoke The Fifth Freedom for a +2 to my roll!

Provoke (Intimidate the Coquillard): 4dF+6 7

Taking a free tag on Relics From Tibet to bump that to a 9!

Emerald Rogue
Mar 29, 2013


Madeline
FP: 4/4

As she rifled through yet another box of files, Madeline felt a familiar twitch welling up ...

"Achoo! ACHOO!"

Throwing her hands and tentacles up in frustration, she exclaimed, "Ugh, this is so frustrating! I'm not finding anything about Tibet in this pile of dead trees, AND it's making me sneeze. Maybe I need to try something else ... Nobody look over here for a moment. I want to try something and I don't want to fry your retinas or whatever by accident."

As Madeline turns to face the nearest wall, the light around her warps and fractures into a kaleidoscopic haze, quickly focused into a spotlight emanating from around her head like some sort of demented angel's halo. Cycling through ultraviolet, infrared and other, stranger frequencies, Madeline scans the room for clues hidden from conventional sight. It always seems to work on cop shows.

Using Optic Warp to scan for unseen clues with weird light frequencies, like on TV!

CSI Arkham: 4dF+4 4

Not good enough to shed light on the situation, I'm afraid.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...


Mali Sasithorn
FP: 6

"Okay, so we got some Real Fuckin' Wizards in on this case..."

Mali rests her cheek in her palm and looks around the room. "That explains a bunch of stuff. They're on a glope-hopping adventure after some artifacts, and they're using the Dreamlands to make that happen. That means they have access to some pretty crazy magic, and also they've got enough money to hire some real pro thieves here." She casts a sideways glance at the poor culprit currently in Cain's clutches, and then looks away again. "So, most of this stuff falls into place, but..."

Mali points at the D-Drive. "...I still don't know what was up with that explosion."

Notice:
<Takanago> !r fudge+5
<Krysmbot> Takanago, -/+++5 = 6

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


Cain gets the fact here! Let me know what it is and I'll get you a response from the thief tomorrow after work. Then we do the final pass for hypothesis. Don't forget, that roll is just whoever gets the best result, it doesn't matter what the prior difficulty was!

Tempus Rimeblood
Sep 23, 2007

...Friendship? Again?

I'll declare this fact to be Backed By A Government. Full post as soon as I have the thief's response.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.


"Ah, ha, there is no need for further violence. You have us, I will talk."

The thief smiles at Cain, though he can tell its as much a fear reaction as anything else. The man has a vaguely Northern European accent, impossible to precisely place. Probably on purpose. He tries to back away a step, but a quick glance at his unconscious accessories takes whatever fight he might have had out of him.

"I do not know why our backer wants these things. We did not ask. It was enough to know there was such a challenge to overcome. That, and of course the obscene amount of money we were promised." He shrugs, and pats his pockets for something. Cain can practically see the thought bubble of a cigarette above his head. "It was a good plan. We did not count... OOI assassin? Special forces?"

He shrugs. "We also did not ask for a name. Or a face. But... I tell you this, this was no mafioso, no wealthy dabbler. Not our usual clients. Criminals always threaten, implied or obvious. The wealthy, they turn up their noses. New money is ostentatious, cannot help but try to intimidate with excessive resources. Old money is unaware of it, a man in a rumpled suit but with a hundred year old custom watch."

"Our employer was none of these. Her representatives, they wore cheap suits. No sense of humor. Always looking to the boss for direction. With unlimited funds for the job, but a poo poo budget entertainment. They had us meet in a converted warehouse, can you believe it? Not even an offer of coffee."

"Only governments employ such people and spend so lavishly while counting every cent. What agency in that alphabet soup, I cannot even begin to guess. The way things are, they might be under a new name by now anyways."

Notes
Have at!

pre:
Stormtrack XOOOO
Warning in Effect [+1]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?


Hyun-Ae FP: 6

The team's audio feed cracks as Hyun-Ae comes back online. [ Man, guys want way too much money for what I'm asking. Whatever. ] She sighs, pinching the bridge of her nose. [ Alright, so lemme get this straight: some government's trying to get after some relics that Ashton found in Tibet via the Dreamlands. Sweet. We should get back to the boss and see if she thinks it's our problem or not. ]

  • Locked thread
«11 »