Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Jimmy is ok

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/m...58961d765e.html

Just needed to be pumped with 5 liters of water though from dehydration. I hope news comes out on what happened. Be it from an individual basis in terms of food/workout or from the suggested mention of the helmet fan crapping out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

We recorded a podcast tonight. I'll have it up tomorrow sometime.

SPEAKING OF, CBJ, your file transfer didn't work. Can you re-send it to me through mediafire or something, thanks.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

JuffoWup posted:

Jimmy is ok

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/m...58961d765e.html

Just needed to be pumped with 5 liters of water though from dehydration. I hope news comes out on what happened. Be it from an individual basis in terms of food/workout or from the suggested mention of the helmet fan crapping out.

5 liters is a LOT of fluid to need replaced, it wasn't particularly hot or anything either. Even if the helmet fan died that's a really really bizarre amount of fluid to have lost. Hopefully it's nothing serious. Much as I would like to see him not racing.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrpz5TRLMb4

Dude was up there for a WHILE before the yaller came out.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
This man is a brilliant activist. Brian France will no longer control when the debris caution is thrown. The people have spoken, and when races start to suck we will decide when the yellow comes out.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

File re-sent, Kidc.

It's time for us to JOIN OUR NATIONS FOR CHASE GLORY*: http://www.nascar.com/chasedrivers

*Kahneation, Newmanation, Biffle Nation not invited.

e- Somebody just went "Oh gently caress" and added them, but now Gordon fans can't download stuff. You're welcome, ladies.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 7, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I misread Dinger Nation as Danger Nation, which it should be honestly.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I know I'd floated the idea of a self-scored Chase pick 'em and I'd still be up to do it, but there's also this we could do:

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/sprint-cup-series/chase-grid-battle.html

This game is "fill out a bracket, pick who gets to the Final Four and who wins the championship". Boy, that sounds a lot like March Madness, doesn't it...

Group: SASCAR
PW: 52099

If you're going to play, fill out the Chase Grid Battle and, upon locking in, a yellow bar will appear which allows you to Play Perfect Grid. Click that and fill 'em in right down to the champ.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 7, 2014

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
Someone got paid good money to sit in front of a copy of Lightroom and find the poses that made Denny Hamlin look the most "regal"

All I can think about is Bryan France playing out the jai alai scene with Ho-Ho in Mad Men during his own visit to Ogilvy and Mather. "Patchi Hamlin, Isn't he beautiful? Cant you see him in a matinee feature where he travels the world, solving crimes and laying broads"

Shadow Puppet Of fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 7, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 days!)

edit: I guess I should've used the trading card image instead of the wallpaper version oh well.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I should've expected NASCAR.com's Fantasy offering to be terrible and it is. I THINK it allows you to fill out a full bracket and share it with everybody in the league but, failing that, we'll just do it here.

Peanut President posted:

edit: I guess I should've used the trading card image instead of the wallpaper version oh well.

:thurman:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I want to frame that and put it on my living room wall.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 days!)

Here's the trading card version

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Airdrop millions of those leaflets over Pyongyang and NASCAR is a North Korean sensation!

It looks like Logano smiled in his and they said NO, WE CAN'T HAVE THAT poo poo, so they photoshopped his smile upside down:

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
So does anybody think that somebody besides Harvick, Gordon, or Kes will win the championship? I mean I'd like to see Almirola or Allmendinger or one of the guys with zero wins win it to make a mockery of the thing but to me those three guys, Harvick, Gordon, and Kes, are the top of the field.

Also the whole Driver Nation thing annoys the poo poo out of me.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bigbillystyle posted:

So does anybody think that somebody besides Harvick, Gordon, or Kes will win the championship? I mean I'd like to see Almirola or Allmendinger or one of the guys with zero wins win it to make a mockery of the thing but to me those three guys, Harvick, Gordon, and Kes, are the top of the field.

Also the whole Driver Nation thing annoys the poo poo out of me.

I said it in the 'cast (comin up soonish) but I think Gordon, Earnhardt, Johnson, Keselowski, Logano, and Harvick are the only six I'd give a legitimate shot.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Peanut President posted:

Here's the trading card version

Mail this to KCNA, and get some poor schlub at the NK intel agency stuck with watching NASCAR at 3am.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

The mental image of Kyle going to DPRK as a "great friend" of Kim Jong Un to promote NASCAR like he's Dennis Rodman or Antonio Inoki is hilarious.

E: vv I was expecting a certain other poster to post rhetoric about a race in DPRK.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 7, 2014

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
It could actually work though. NK's has incredibly wide and completely empty roads. And the world's largest stadium. If it weren't for the famines and totalitarianism, North Korea would make for one bitchin' road course.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

It could actually work though. NK's has incredibly wide and completely empty roads. And the world's largest stadium. If it weren't for the famines and totalitarianism, North Korea would make for one bitchin' road course.

He could totally one up his brother if kurt choose to race in Dubai next year.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

5 liters is a LOT of fluid to need replaced, it wasn't particularly hot or anything either. Even if the helmet fan died that's a really really bizarre amount of fluid to have lost. Hopefully it's nothing serious. Much as I would like to see him not racing.

It was 150*+ inside the cars. +fire long Johns + race suit + face sock +helmet with fire skirt.
Go into a sauna with long johns and a set of coveralls and a ski mask then do arm andnleg exerciaes for 3 hours with a few 10 min breaks to walk around (cautions)

I thought theae guys ran liquid cool suits these days.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

tater_salad posted:

It was 150*+ inside the cars. +fire long Johns + race suit + face sock +helmet with fire skirt.
Go into a sauna with long johns and a set of coveralls and a ski mask then do arm andnleg exerciaes for 3 hours with a few 10 min breaks to walk around (cautions)

I thought theae guys ran liquid cool suits these days.

They do, but you design the suits to assume the liquid cooling system will work. A broken suit is probably hotter than normal gear. They probably also run the interiors hotter these days for aero advantage since they can depend on the cool suit to keep the driver going.

So when the cooling system fails on a hot day, it really sucks.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

bigbillystyle posted:

Gordon has five finishes outside the Top 15 all season so far (26 races). A "bad day" for him like Atlanta typically means he winds up 17th. That's 2007 good.

Which means I fear this will wind up like 2007.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

http://tindeck.com/listen/ubes
Podcast for post-Indycar, pre-Chase is here! CFS/Cubey, CBJ, and myself on this one.

Please give us feedback and the like, we'd like to start doing these again on the reg'.

elmono311
Apr 30, 2007

Every kiss begins with Kahne

CBJSprague24 posted:

Gordon has five finishes outside the Top 15 all season so far (26 races). A "bad day" for him like Atlanta typically means he winds up 17th. That's 2007 good.

Which means I fear this will wind up like 2007.

At least this time all he needs to do is be good enough to advance each round (which he has been good enough this season that he should be able to) and just finish ahead of everybody at Homestead. Johnson curbstomping the field with four wins in a row in the Chase won't be as big of a handicap for the other drivers anymore.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

Uncle Jam posted:

They do, but you design the suits to assume the liquid cooling system will work. A broken suit is probably hotter than normal gear. They probably also run the interiors hotter these days for aero advantage since they can depend on the cool suit to keep the driver going.

So when the cooling system fails on a hot day, it really sucks.

Nobody has run cool suits in 20 years for that exact reason. When the system stops working, you get to do your best lobster impression. Nah, helmet air is all we use in the cars

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

Peanut President posted:

Also this is incredible

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ok, I don't know how well the NASCAR.com bracket game is going to work, so here's the Fantasy game I dreamed up a couple days ago:

BRIAN FRANCE'S SUPERCHASE PICK FOUR EXTRAVAGANZA

Four groups, pick the drivers you think will finish the best from each group in the Chase (one per group). Where your chosen drivers finish in points will earn you a corresponding number of points, from the championship (16) to last (1). I'll be scoring it in Google Docs, with updates after each round.

Groups are as follows:
1) 2, 24, 88, 22
2) 48, 4, 99, 5
3) 18, 11, 41, 43
4) 47, 20, 31, 16

The tiebreaker will be accurately picking who finishes last in points. 16th place is a 2 point bonus, 15th is 1.

I'm taking 24-48-18-20, with Dinger finishing last.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

You can set up a Google Forms link so we don't have to post them all in the thread

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
NASCAR can beat the other sports to the last great untapped viewer market, North Korea.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
If you just edited the broadcast voiceover to replace "Jesus/god" with "dear leader" then it would translate pretty well.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I bet the North Korean invocation would be the best.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

This week Kim Jung Un is in the 2 car and he wins again as he did last week in the 5 car.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
This Golden Age of NASCAR documentary is nifty and fun, look at that women drivers that were there because of their driving ability. I wonder what would happen if that was the criteria used today...

So Brian France pulled the Darlington Labor Day race for what reason, that seemed to be a real tradition and such. What the gently caress is wrong with that dude

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 7, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

maffew buildings posted:

This Golden Age of NASCAR documentary is nifty and fun, look at that women drivers that were there because of their driving ability. I wonder what would happen if that was the criteria used today...

Who in particular?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

So Brian France pulled the Darlington Labor Day race for what reason, that seemed to be a real tradition and such. What the gently caress is wrong with that dude

Southern California has beautiful people NASCAR wanted to impress. South Carolina does not (except for Paige Duke and her bunghole).
Southern California has celebrities who might help you promote your sport. South Carolina does not.
Southern California deserved Labor Day weekend's NASCAR race because

...in seriousness, I think it was an attempt by NASCAR to use a holiday weekend to lure new fans to the track outside one of the largest markets in America to gain fans at the expense of your existing fanbase and tradition. It...kinda worked, I guess for a couple years, but then sank faster than the Titanic.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

maffew buildings posted:

All those people already care about NASCAR and people in California still don't so gotta double down on lovely races at lovely tracks

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Funny thing now California is actually a good track now with the whole track being raceable with how much it aged. You can have cars on the apron around the turn to all the way next to the wall. It's stupid why ISC thought repaving Kansas and Michigan was a terrific idea since the age of those track's pavement is comparable to California. Did it deserve the Labor Day weekend race, no but I'd say now it's a track to look at for fun racing until ISC thinks it's prime for a repaving just cause the backstretch has a lot of bumps from earthquakes.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Uncle Jam posted:

Who in particular?

Maybe that wasn't the best choice of words since the first lady I thought of was "the one who flipped her car"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Southern California has beautiful people NASCAR wanted to impress. South Carolina does not (except for Paige Duke and her bunghole).
Southern California has celebrities who might help you promote your sport. South Carolina does not.
Southern California deserved Labor Day weekend's NASCAR race because

...in seriousness, I think it was an attempt by NASCAR to use a holiday weekend to lure new fans to the track outside one of the largest markets in America to gain fans at the expense of your existing fanbase and tradition. It...kinda worked, I guess for a couple years, but then sank faster than the Titanic.

The sad thing is...in theory? You could have done something cool with Fontana by doing what you used to do with Riverside back in the day

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_Western_500

From '63 to '81 it was the first date of the season and actually attracted a good amount of outsiders from Foyt to Parnelli to Gurney to Mark loving Donohue.

Should have left Darlington's date the gently caress alone and had a race in January when there's nothing going on.

• Locked thread