Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Anyone else getting a broadcast that's audio is skipping.

It's like that one episode of "Futurama".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Which one of you is Jim Noble from PRN? Because you just trolled the poo poo out of some dumb redneck on SiriusXM who was arguing that Mario Andretti should be in the HoF because he was the first foreign driver to win a Cup race, and that several others should be in on the same grounds.

"I..UH..GOTTA BE HONEST WITH YOU...THAT UH..CHOCALATE MEYERS...HE'S A REALLY BAD COHOST I TELL YA WHAT. I UH..DIDN'T LIKE GOING TO JAPAN FOR NASCAR RACING.."

They've got some really bad hosts on there. Dave Moody is a propagandist for NASCAR to the worst degree. He's Skip Bayless-level troll, except at least Skip Bayless occasionally criticizes the sports he covers. The poo poo he said about Willy T. Ribbs proves how much of a douche bag he is.

He indirectly insulted LASTCAR two years back as well.

Also Mario Andretti is too cool for that place. As is Gurney, Foyt, and Parnelli, etc.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 18, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Anybody who thinks the HoF is relevant this many years in without Smokey in it is retarded.

quoting this.

That and like every member of the France Family is in it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bhester posted:

What did he say?

Ribbs was very critical of NASCAR because they kind of treated him like trash.

(The story goes he wasn't given a ride at the 600 in 1978 because of a "traffic ticket", the ride was then given to a young Dale Earnhardt. Also apparently he was treated like poo poo in the truck series)

Moody responded by calling him a "Nobody", which is incredibly thick headed when you consider his success in Trans Am.

I do really think guys like Moody are a part of the problem with NASCAR.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

The Often Imitated, Never Duplicated World of Outlawwwwws are on CBSSN right now.

Kerry Madsen is the Will Power of WOO.

Follow up, I had no idea Australia had WOO. Badass. I seem to recall the aforementioned power posting something about his dad running dirt tracks, but I didn't take it very seriously.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Elitist Bitch posted:

There's a guy in front of me at Progressive Field wearing a SCCA shirt and a Mid-Ohio '97 hat. I wish I wasn't so shy. Dude must like good racing.

That's me.

It's not

Seriously what are you doing in Cleveland? Get out while you still can!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Elitist Bitch posted:

Don't worry, it's the bottom of the 9th and we're going to drive a ways toward Cincinnati tonight. We'll be out soon.

Yeah just more in reference to the fact that there's nothing to do in Ohio.

Though I would seriously recommend coming the first week of august because there's strangely like a lot to do in that weekend.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Ya'll deserve better than this.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

L_Harrison posted:

I'm trying to put myself in the mind of someone that goes to a Nationwide race, you know and pays for a ticket, spending hard-earned money just to watch some Cup drivers race against scrubs and have better equipment and dominate every race. How does one even get excited for that? What kind of lunatic actual departs with money in his wallet to go see a loving Nationwide race? I mean, I know the folk that watch NASCAR don't have much to do to begin with, but literally anything else is more exciting than a Nationwide race with Kyle, Brad, and Harvick (and Kenseth and whoever the gently caress else races sometimes).

quote:

I thought back to a conversation I had a few years ago before the Firestone 550, which runs less than 30 miles from where I live. I overheard a conversation between two gentlemen who were looking forward to watching the NASCAR truck race the night prior to the 550, because, as one gentleman put it, "at least I know who some of those guys are."

http://www.racer.com/robin-miller-s...howall=&start=3

To understand why, you have to understand there are literally fans of drivers themselves and they have no bearing as to whether they watch the race or not.

Doesn't matter to them, as long as they get to see Brad Keselowsk or someone like him race I guess.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 28, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/06/30/Leagues-and-Governing-Bodies/NASCAR-merchandise.aspx

Um...Holy poo poo, NASCAR's Financial model is hosed up.

quote:

The evaluation process follows years of declining merchandise sales in NASCAR. Sales reportedly fell from more than $2 billion in 2008 to $1 billion in 2010. Motorsports Authentics, the motorsports licensing company that was jointly owned by International Speedway Corp. and Speedway Motorsports Inc., nearly filed for bankruptcy, and SMI this year abandoned its stake in the business in order to realize tax benefits that outweighed owning it.

Motorsports Authentics had been responsible for covering the cost of transporting 20-plus truck rigs to each of NASCAR’s 36 Sprint Cup races. The cost of having those trucks crisscross the country became inefficient as merchandise revenue shriveled and attendance decreased at races nationwide.

The business model is expected to remain the same as it is today. Currently, 15 percent of merchandise revenue sold at races goes to the tracks and 10 percent goes to the NASCAR Licensing Trust, which then distributes it to NASCAR teams and drivers. Motorsports Authentics, which carries the cost of transporting the merchandise and staffing the trailers, keeps the remaining 75 percent of merchandise revenue.

So let me get this straight.

Firecracker 400 is this week.

It's an ISC track meaning it's owned by Brian France.

If I wanted to buy a Jimmie Johnson hat at the track, Nearly 90% of it would go to NASCAR itself...and not Rick Hendrick, Jimmie Johnson, or anyone on the team itself.

What the gently caress?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

mearn posted:

Have they tried improving sales by making merchandise that doesn't suck?

Come on Mearn, you know how NASCAR operates.

Just one big giant echo chamber for them.

I'm shocked they've not come up with WORSE ideas at this point.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Soooooo there's now a p. good possibility I'm going to be co-broadcasting the ARCA race at Winchester this Sunday. You guys should maybe tune in and double CBS' viewer count :kiddo:

badass.

I see you've taken to eating in the bathtub per twitter, are you like the Kramer of ARCA now?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

At this point I'm in the "burn it down and start over" camp, so yes, please split and die.

Cygni posted:

Rob Kauffman, oh lordy

Also this is just to try to get TV money I bet. Official request to call it NASCART

I've been calling on this to happen for a few years.

Too much of the money goes to NASCAR itself, and not enough goes back to the teams/drivers.

It doesn't help you have a guy that makes Tony George look like Dan loving Gurney in Brian France. His idiotic "gimmicks" have made the sport near irrelevant.

Kill NASCAR.

Long live RTA and NASCART!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Too bad that's not going to happen.

This is a move by the teams towards franchising grid spots ala F1, and it`s going to gently caress the small teams out of existence. NASCAR's going to huff and puff and threaten to blow their houses down, but deep down this is their wet dream.

No because it denies them control over their product, and it severely cuts into their funding.

Really every one of these teams on down should be getting a HUGE chunk of the merchandising and tv dollars. The reason why people go to NASCAR races is to see those teams. The fact that they get suck a small chunk is ridiculous.

Instead it goes directly back to NASCAR itself, (and SMI/Pocono/Dover/IMS). It's why those tracks can host the number events they do. Doesn't matter if there's 2 people in the stands, they still get paid by NASCAR to run the race. Meanwhile every team sees very little in terms of actual pay out.

Doesn't help that NASCAR keeps poaching sponsors to sponsor THEMSELVES, then leaving table scraps for quite a few teams.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I mainly want this to go down in flames and for NASCAR to die.

I want NASCAR to die, but I want Stock Car racing to still very much be a thing. I also very much still want to see Daytona to still very much be a thing.

I don't like the fact NASCAR has control over almost everything related to auto racing in this country. I don't like ISC, and the fact that they sanction TUSC isn't good things for the sport.

Kill NASCAR, but long live Daytona and long live stock car racing.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

LASTCAR posted:

If I were nine years old today instead of in 1991, I wonder if I'd get hooked on today's product. I honestly don't know.

They're talking about kids from 1980-2000, correct?

I was a big fan of the sport from 1992-2005ish. I had diecasts, favorite drivers and quite a few things related to the sport. My father also followed it pretty hardcore back in the day.

You know what pushed me away?

Exactly what Brian France is talking about. It became like I was watching "American Idol" more so than I was watching auto racing.

The audience he was talking about? He HAD. He seriously did. He pushed them away though.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

NASCAR airs the wrong race at loudon, modifieds own forever

A great driver with great opinions. :allears:.

I do wonder if the Milwaukee Mile would be worth a return?

I've honestly wonder if NASCAR/RTA should create a Super Speedway/Road Course/Short Track divisions instead of the current pseudo development ladder they currently run.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Yes and no. Leave it as-is, add more short-tracks to all of the big 3 divisions, but increase the % of short-track races considerably for Trucks/ARCA/Nationwide.

Honestly, I would try to do this:

Cup, I would keep the same design, but have it exclusively tailored to provide good racing on tracks that are 1.5 miles and above.

Nationwide? Exclusively a road course series. The cars would be American Muscle Car-like. Dodge Charger, Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Camero, etc. I would make them look very "Trans Am Series"-like.

Trucks? Keep as is. They're designed to race at tracks a mile and below.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 12, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

I agree, NASCAR needs to run Pacific and Portland at least once each a year.

I like the idea of Portland being used as a track again period.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

it's almost as if Trucks and Nationwide aren't development series and are full on professional touring series at the national level.

Yes and they suck. (except when SRA is racing).

The way those three series are constructed make for absolute garbage racing right now. Hell, ARCA is more entertaining to watch then loving Nationwide. How sad is that?

Also, go back to sucking Brian France's dick, and shut the gently caress up. "DURR HIS SERIES SAVED OVAL TRACK RACING".

rear end in a top hat.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 13, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Uncle Jam posted:

What the gently caress trucks don't suck!

When Trucks are at Eldora, Iowa or when the great SRA is racing? Yeah, they're pretty cool. It's why I argued they should be kept the way they are for the most part.

They're pretty terrible when Kyle Busch is racing though IMO.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

because what you want to do to fix the two "development series" is make them as different as possible from the top series

Let's rewind to what you just said, because obviously you have you can't read with your head up on your own rear end.

VikingSkull posted:

it's almost as if Trucks and Nationwide aren't development series and are full on professional touring series at the national level

Yes, they are not DEVELOPMENT SERIES ANYMORE. BRIAN FRANCE HAS EVEN SAID THE SAME THING.

It's something NASCAR has truly hosed up honestly. You ever read racingnomics? He has a good break down of how NASCAR has hosed up their driver development program across the board.

So the gently caress is the point of the nationwide series? the gently caress is the point of the truck series? Wouldn't it be FAR BETTER to treat the three like separate series with all three going to a National Championship-points system?

Also go take the "DURR ATTENDANCE" comments and shove them up your rear end.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 13, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

E: Fuzzy, I get your point about nns and trucks supposedly not being development tours, but that's lip service when the same source gives out licenses to vastly under qualified and unproven drivers.

Yeah.

What I'm saying is it's just kind of dumb to have say, Kansas X3 be a thing during a race weekend honestly.

Especially when Kyle Busch shows up to all three races and wins two of them.

VikingSkull posted:

You seem angry.

Go Cavs.

:). I'm actually kind of excited honestly.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Well you were the one that said pseudo-development, man, I don't (and have never) viewed them as such.

So if they aren't a development series, and are more or less professional by themselves, then it makes sense that NASCAR would set them up in such a way as to maximize their TV exposure at the lowest cost. That means racing all 3 series at the same weekend at the same track as much as possible.

Setting it up as you suggest would kill both the Trucks and Nationwide.

I understand that, I just feel it would it be quite a bit cooler to see such a thing.

Not that I want to kill Stock Car racing, but I just think running at tracks like Myrtle Beach again would be pretty awesome.

Peace? Don't like fighting lol, I don't hate ya man.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BTW, Viking drove by the USAC World HQ (which is like a short walk from IMS actually).

Was kind of shocked it's so small honestly. They DID however have a big rear end sign promoting a partnership with them and Honda though.

Apparently they were running Quarter Midgets in the IMS parking lot over the weekend though.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Isn't that where the Sprint Car Hall of Fame is, too?

I was in Speedway.

I do wish I was in Knoxville though because that museum sounds bad rear end.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

no one cares, you'd figure if they were so bad idiots wouldn't reply, but here we are

We're all idiots here.

Go Dale.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Meh.

Much like Indy and Sports Cars, NASCAR won't die.

They'll reorganize and be under a different sanctioning body, but they won't die.

I do think that Brian France is bad for the sport as a whole though.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Kwik posted:

I'd put good money down on him trying to do the double next year after seeing how Kurt did.

Honestly that would be one of the few situations I would be overjoyed to see Kyle run outside of Cup.

(the others? Running anything on Dirt, Sports Cars, or something cool like that)

The Busch Brothers would join Bobby (1970, 1971) and Donnie Allison (1973, 1975) as the 2nd pair of NASCAR drivers who were brothers to race in the Indy 500.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 15, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

LASTCAR posted:

2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup Champion Driver Name

What's his nickname?

I know he's racing in SuperTex's 14, so we got that much of the grid finished.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/489221026450927617/photo/1

So is it confirmed that BMB5150 is Dale's secret account?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm curious to see how the paved short tracks would do in a post-NASCAR world. They've put all of their eggs in NASCAR's basket to help sell their product, and I don't think the braintrust is there to put things right on their own.

USAC Silver Crown is still very much a thing, and it appears that places like Gateway and Pikes Peak were well attended.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

For reference this is what the rumblings were like the last time an "RTA" like organization almosthappened:

quote:

Now, in the mid '90s, there was undercurrent talk in the NASCAR garages that a CART-like organization of powerful team owners might arise, to take advantage of an upheaval in track ownership and demand higher purses.

Standing under umbrellas in the rain at Talladega one weekend, in an otherwise deserted garage area, one powerful team owner had posed an intriguing question to me privately.

"How much would you pay for NASCAR right now?" he asked, amid rumors that giant corporations such as Rupert Murdoch's NewsCorp, or even Disney, might be interested in buying.

"You mean if I were Murdoch? Oh, $2 billion, $3 billion, I don't know," I said.

"Now then," and here the owner pointed to the haulers of NASCAR's top six or seven teams, "if those rigs were suddenly gone, those teams were out, how much would you pay for NASCAR?"

"Oh," I mused, "about $1.99."

"Exactly," he said, and walked away in the rain.

The point was, without its major teams and stars, NASCAR would be worthless. This came precariously close to the thinking that had started CART.

What had started the NASCAR rumblings, in parallel to the Indy car conflict, were the activities of O. Bruton Smith. A longtime France family rival, Smith was chairman of Speedway Motorsports Inc., a track conglomerate he'd taken to Wall Street as a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange.

The France family, which owned NASCAR outright and controlled International Speedway Corp., another track conglomerate, was watching Smith closely as he gobbled up tracks with built-in NASCAR race dates. He already owned the tracks at Charlotte and Atlanta, bought existing tracks such as Las Vegas and Bristol, and planned to build new ones, his crown jewel-in-progress being Texas Motor Speedway.

Smith was acquiring tracks so fast, and had disagreed with the Frances so much for so long over how NASCAR should be run, that there was much conjecture that he might start a rival stock-car series.

Then Smith, not yet able to get a Cup race scheduled for his yet-to-open Texas track, hinted that he might just run a non-sanctioned or "outlaw" race, after the NASCAR season was over, with an enormous purse.

That got the attention of the NASCAR owners, and that in turn fueled rumblings of a CART-type council of team owners to sell their services to the highest-bidding series.

Amidst all this, Bill France Jr., second czar in the NASCAR dynasty, publicly postured himself as neutral in the Indy car conflict

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/columns/story?id=5195237

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 16, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Harveygod posted:

If either Bill France were in charge, the sport wouldn't be run based on whatever bong-rip fueled ideas Brian had on any given day.

I don't think the RTA is going to go CART, but they can use that as a nuclear option to try to get NASCAR back on track.

You also wouldn't be seeing a lot of the tracks go under in the way we've seen them go under.

Bill France Jr. told Brian something to the effect of "We've won. Don't do anything to damage what we have" apparently before he passed away.

Welp.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Honestly I hope this works for them because if there's anything Hendrick/Ganassi/Penske/Roush need it's more money.

I always root for the little guy.

Because you know..smaller teams sure are thriving right now.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

This is likely to be the only entertaining thing about NASCAR for the near future so I'm all for it.

Yup.

I hope Brian France is out of power after all of this. Will all be worth it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

If you've never gone to a dirt race like this before, do everything devmd said but also be drat sure to bring some sunglasses/goggles if ya got em, and a bandana for the dust. When I was there for the 410s and midgets place got very, very badly dusty and the smart folks brought those items. I liken it to being in the middle of the noisiest sandstorm on earth

I think it's bad rear end you get to race DuQuin and Springfield honestly. So much history at those places.

ARCA has the best schedule in stock car racing IMO.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Scrub tier tracks, those two

That's sad to hear about honestly.

I do enjoy watching them on TV, but I will have to take your word for it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

It's a good thing all those independents are in the RTA, then.

Hell, SRA, GMS is gonna make bank off this, huh? How many times did you have to tell Penske no before you finally caved?

http://racingnomics.com/on-value-in-nascar/

Just gonna leave this here then.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Yeah what NASCAR needs to do is emulate european car racing. poo poo let's just let FIA take over! They're even more european!! More european more better!

Man I'm so psyched that the RTA is going to become a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

We've yet to see how much they're going to lobby on poo poo. My only expectation is they want a bigger piece of the money pie and probably open up sponsorship and cut costs. We'll see if they bother to get chase after Brian Franceh, the chase, or anything have to do with the car, tracks, or points.

I'm hoping the end scenario is Brian France is exiled to St. Helena.

American auto racing would be so much better with him and his stupid family removed from the equation.

• Locked thread