Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Going to leave this here.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nascar-france-20140720-story.html#page=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Brian France reminds me of Randy Lerner.

Randy Lerner was the son of Al Lerner who bought the expansion Browns out of guilt. (TL;DR, he pretty much funded the Browns move out of Cleveland). Randy was a self-made man in many respects, a marine veterans and someone who was really trying hard to make the Browns a winner in many respects.

Al Lerner passed away in 2002 right as the Browns were looking relevant (they were 4-4, and somehow stumbled into the playoffs as a wildcard)

Randy took over the team having been born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He pretty much took over the franchise reluctantly to carry on his dad's wishes, and really had no interest in them. He was more interested in premiership soccer.

As a result the Browns ended up loving up hire after hire because he could give two shits about actually running the thing. Each created a weird fight for power, and each ended the same exact way.

If Brian is sincere about what happened with Kes. in Phoenix we would have likely seen a completely different series, than what we've seen 2004 on.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 21, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

The USFL probably could've beaten the NFL (or at least gotten a few of their teams in as expansions like the AFL did) but Trump is a total fucker.

Honestly I agree with this.

I think Oakland, Memphis, Jacksonville, Baltimore, Arizona, and Tampa (perhaps becoming Orlando?) would have found their way into the league.

But this is a topic for TFF. gently caress Donald Trump nonetheless.

CBJSprague24 posted:

All you need to look at is the Chase. The Chase was designed as a ratings grab during the stretch where NASCAR goes head to head with the NFL. My feeling was always the people who are more involved in races would watch those and flip to games during breaks anyway.

There's nothing wrong with having an important race or two during the NFL season. (1992 Hooters 500 comes to mind). NASCAR just never played it smart though.

A race at Chicagoland for example? Dumb as hell. Talladega? Hell air that later in the afternoon and you have my full attention.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/NYeoman/status/491952590255435776/photo/1

Damnit

Lake Speed would have been the winner we deserve.

Also, that top 5 :allears:.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

if you're a fan on any nationwide driver you're mentally ill

Wait an opinion you and I agree with?

Also Ty Dillon is a dipshit.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Has NASCAR ever had a good turnout at Indy?

1994-2008?

Yep.

I also feel that 1996-2004ish it was the bigger race for the track.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

FWIW, Neither Jeff Gordon nor Michael Schumacher have the record for Career victories at IMS.

quote:

Aitken’s activity at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway was not limited to the Indianapolis 500. He won a total of 15 races at IMS, the most of any driver in the 100-year history of the track. Aitken was the only driver to win races in each of the four automobile race weekends that were held during the track’s “pre-500” years of 1909-1910. He also won all three races which comprised the Harvest Auto Racing Classic, in September 1916. (The driver with the second-greatest number of wins at IMS is Ray Harroun, with 8 wins in 1909-1911.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Aitken

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 27, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Just stating facts.

I'm sure Donald Davidson would be in more agreement with those numbers. ;).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Yes lets dig up a guy we've not given a gently caress about since the early 1900s just to discredit a driver a century later with races that don't even compare. By that logic, who gives a gently caress about Foyt, Unser, and Mears. Should be praising this Aitken guy.

Not discrediting what Gordon has accomplished, just saying he's not the all time win leader at IMS.

He still holds the record for most NASCAR wins at the place though. ;).

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm an indy honk, so my opinion is bias as hell, but here's my take as to why Indy homers are annoyed at the whole thing.

There's something bizarre with NASCAR in that they just can't seem happy to just accept they have their own thing going on, and have to make it some bizarre competition. I'm not saying that's anyone here, because it's not, but it's more so for people like Nichole Briscoe and the like. The media and the sanctioning body itself are the true guilty parties.

There was a really bizarre :smug: moment where they tried to compare Jimmie Johnson to Mario Andretti during the Daytona 500 telecast last year for example. Jimmie is a GREAT DRIVER, and one of the best of all time in his form of the sport. But the stat they threw up about him having more "Championships in NASCAR, than Mario had in USAC/CART". Which, is while true, doesn't exactly tell the full story of both of their careers. (a more accurate comparison would have been AJ Foyt, who's entire career was in USAC/CART, and finished with 7 titles overall).

Winning at Indy, regardless of what form of the sport it is, is a big accomplishment. Just like how it would feel to win at Daytona, or even Long Beach. Especially for a guy like Gordon who wanted to race there as a little kid. But the way ESPN, and NASCAR both try to equate the wins is a bit obnoxious.

Also, a legitimate criticism. If NASCAR truly values IMS, why is it not a Chase race?

The Brickyard really (should) be an event that stands on it's own merits. It's at a historic track and in the birthplace of many of the series best drivers. We really don't need to drag the "other" race into the conversation, correct?

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 28, 2014

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

But I don't disagree with that?

Atlanta really should have kept both of it's dates. (Also Bruton Smith should have never hosed up the track, but that's for another time)

Same with Darlington

Old Atlanta was legitimately the best site for a Championship race.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah, track owners have lost out, but teams have actually gained.... it's just that there's less teams now.

The only clear loser in that is the Hulman-George clan lol

You know what?

The fact that you read into the data like that tells me that you're a part of the problem and why auto racing is the way it is today.

You know drat WELL that the France Family is the problem, yet you do this little song and dance making GBS threads on other GOOD forms of the sport.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Some track owners lost a bit but the big thing is ISC gobbled up a lot of tracks since 1996, so looks more like tracks and teams merging together and getting a bigger piece of the pie by being bigger. Hulman-George, probably is still being paid the same sine 96 or a little bit more.

Which comes back to this.

ISC is a terrible organization that hurts not only NASCAR, but auto racing itself.

A monopoly is not a good thing, and some changes clearly need to be made.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

bigbillystyle posted:

He is just bummed because now that the Brickyard 400 is over there won't be any reason to bring up Indycars in the NASCAR thread for the rest of the year. Maybe a brief mention of how much better Indy is than NASCAR during the Indy championship weekend but I think we are in the clear until at least then.

Honestly I've been having a rough day, and kind of took some things out in that post that I didn't necessarily mean.

My apologies to Viking for overreacting.

e: Said rough day has nothing to do with racing.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

This is the same guy who was posting all kinds of economic (public knowledge) stats (ratings, attendance, etc.) and was kindly told to stop earlier this year by NASCAR. His site is no longer called NASCARnomics for that reason.

Yup.

Andrew is pretty amazing at what he does.

What NASCAR did to him was beyond bush league.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I don't like NASCAR as a sanctioning body.

But...

I like Dale, and I personally like to see him succeed. Anyone who watches old races and who's favorite driver is Jimmy "Smut" Means is alright in my book.

Go Dale :unsmith:.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The thing is with Jr. is he's kind of by default, NASCAR fan's favorite son for the most part.

Is that on him? No. I also say I rather admire the fact he seems to be making his own name for himself in the sport versus his father. But still I think that's where any sort of criticism of the guy comes from.

There's a lot of 2nd generation drivers in the other series (-cough- Rahal and Andretti -cough-) that have pretty much sucked, and seems like they've really yet to be humbled in the way that dale has as well. I think that goes quite a long a way in terms of making the guy seem likable to the fanbase.

You at least get the impression that he's worked hard for this, and realize that his success this season has been well earned. I very much like that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Michael Andretti was kind of good by my recollection

also Dale Sr. was a 2nd gen driver, so was King Richard

Yeah, along with Little Al.

Agreed with King Richard.

Hasn't Kraig Kinser had a decent career?

I think overall it seems like those mentioned havn't had their dad hand them opportunities until they've really earned it to TBF. Kind of what I was getting at.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Richard had everything handed to him, he grew up in that team, and as soon as he was old enough he drove the second car. Sure, Lee would spin him out or whatever but my dad got me kicked off plenty of go kart tracks, too. That's not tough love.

Dude just fell into a ride with Plymouth and then made friends with Andy Granatelli.

Right.

I just get a different vibe with guys like Richard though. Seems like he had a bit of a chip on his shoulder in that regards.

Now did he race on a freak of nature race team that would make Chad Knaus go "Dammmmnnnn"? Absolutely. But I do get the vibe he never seemed satisfied with just having a ride.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I wish Cartoon Network still ran a car.

Is there any doubt that Early Cuyler would be on the Morgan Shepherd 89 night at this point?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

skaboomizzy posted:

I hope Ambrose doesn't lose his ride. He's getting better at ovals and he's a monster on the road courses. He adds a lot of flavor to the series and I want to see him full-time in a competitive ride.

Not so much losing his ride as he's going to do GRC for some reason. I want to say Kia is funding him to go do it. (at least that was the rumor I recall seeing a while back).

Same thing where Scott Speed and Nelson Piquet Jr. wound up in.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Boomer The Cannon posted:

V8s and the Nascar road courses races, he'll be happier than a pig in poo poo.

I'm a little surprised NASCAR and V8 have not tried to create some sort of relationship/partnership between the two at this point.

One would think that Australia would be the only country in the world (Save for Canada and maybe, MAYBE Brazil) that would embrace North American Auto Racing.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

they have, the World of Outlaws runs there every year

also, like the US, there are more dirt ovals in Australia than any other type of race track

Calder Park owned.

How NASCAR doesn't try to find a way to run an exhibition race or two down there is beyond me.

I believe the only people against it are people like Chocalate Meyers who hated the NASCAR races at Suzuka for example.

Basically people with terrible opinions who should be ignored.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

the United States is NASCAR's home market and they make billions of dollars here, why waste an iota of those profits to cater to a foreign market with a fraction of the fanbase?

especially when you don't have the desire or ability to be an international sport

Meh.

Just in Australia.

He didn't provide that as the answer to why he hated it though, it was literally "I DON'T LIKE TO TRAVEL BY AIRPLANE, AND I WAS ALL TIRED, I TOLD MIKE HELTON TO NEVER DO IT AGAIN".

Your points are valid. His are well..not.

Still the idea of exhibition races like that intrigue me to no end.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/497205657163292672

YET AGAIN I ASK.

What's Dale's screen name here?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

He's posting pictures of him playing Clash of Clans now.

Dale Earnhardt Goonyer.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Tyler Burnett ‏@_TylerBurnett 36s
Again, this is just another driver calling me, not releasing names. An altercation between Tony Stewart and Kevin Ward.Night has been called

MRN Reporter.

Could this be consider attempted vehicular homicide?

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm being serious. That's not something you gently caress around with.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

Wait, intentionally, or "Driving through the pits and oh gently caress, there's a guy under my winged sprint"?

Tyler Burnett ‏@_TylerBurnett 13m
Direct source at race track, "Prayers are with the ward family right now!!! stewart ran over my best friend kevin ward under yellow"

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alex Hayden ‏@TheAlexHayden 2m
Sheriff deputies are surrounding the area of the incident. All people at the track have been told to leave immediately.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Tyler Burnett ‏@_TylerBurnett 1m
Races have been cancelled, and both cars have been seized. I only have one source still at track.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/adamlongoCBS5

https://twitter.com/brownjl27/status/498307622387593216/photo/1

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/coachparker82/status/498314896543465472/photo/1

holy loving poo poo....if this is even remotely true.

wow.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/alexiariggins/status/498310209811791873/photo/1

Sorry I realize this could all be a hoax, but more of what possibly happened.

....holy poo poo.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

UPDATE3: Witness: Tony Stewart apparently fishtailed his car into the other driver. Afterwards, that driver layed motionless on the track

Adam Longo @adamlongoCBS5 · 1m
UPDATE2: WITNESS: When the field came around to turn 2 under yellow, driver who was out of his car got hit by Stewart's right rear tire.

Adam Longo @adamlongoCBS5 · 2m
UPDATE: Witness: Incident happened coming out of turn 2. Tony Stewart spun another driver. That driver got out of his car. CONT...

Adam Longo @adamlongoCBS5 · 3m
UPDATE: Talked with the fan who took that picture. He said Ontario County deputies parked next to Tony Stewart's hauler. Only vehicles left

Adam Longo @adamlongoCBS5 · 5m
UPDATE: Just got phone interview with fan who was at Canandaigua Speedway. he is a Tony Stewart fan, but says he should be arrested.

This actually makes me legit sad.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

you know...that guy in the mazda commercials.

I don't know...just wow. I feel awful for Ward. I hope the death rumors are just that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

did AJ Foyt ever run someone over like that I'm thinking there's like a 60% chance he did at some point

He got in fist fights, and told Robin Miller off a few times.

Don't think Super Tex ever did something like this.

I think the closest thing I've ever seen to this was that one incident at Bowman Grey.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Close the thread until something official is out. This is just too bad to speculate on until something is released

Something official is to come out in a few hours...

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Grain of salt, but Orange Cone was the guy that confirmed the "BUSCH TO RUN THE DOUBLE" news before anyone else.

Orange Cone ‏@TheOrangeCone 2m
Reports indicate the news we were hoping not to hear is true hearing confirmed reports that Kevin Ward passed away

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Seriously.

My prayers to the friends and family of Kevin Ward.

This makes me literally sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Jenna Fryer ‏@JennaFryer 10m
Tony Stewart will race today.

With all due respect, dude can afford to miss this weekends race IMO.

• Locked thread