Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The first How to Train Your Dragon was the film that convinced folk who hadn't seen Kung Fu Panda that Dreamworks could be good, and was part of a major turnaround point for the average quality of the studio's output. No movie has ever been as bad as Bee Movie in 2007, but few reach the heights of Kung Fu Panda (2009) or How to Train Your Dragon (2010). Ripping on Dreamworks has been a stale joke for coming up on half a decade, especially with the further quality of Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011), The Croods (2013), and apparently How To Train Your Dragon 2 (2014). (And, personally, Madagascar 3 in 2012, where I cannot stand its predecessors.)

Additionally, How to Train Your Dragon (HTTYD) was notable due to its lukewarm release and then growing returns. Word-of-mouth came through. This time is a little different, because now that there have been cute Christmas specials, a TV show, and online game, and a live show by the creators of Walking With Dinosaurs, HTTYD is hardly obscure.

Dragons dragons dragons Nico Marlet dragons.

Nico Marlet dragons dragons. Anyway.

The second film, part of what is intended to be at least a trilogy, is coming out in the US on the 13th of this month. Reviews are good and hopes are high. Also, everyone is considerably over--a change of status quo that took folk by surprise. John Powell is also back as the soundtrack composer dude, which was to my satisfaction as he did a great job last time.

Spoiler tags are not required for discussing the first film. Go see it if you haven't!

Discussion of the TRAILER for HTTYD2 does require spoiler tags, however, as the creators of the film asked fans to avoid it if possible. I see a bunch of films so of course I've seen the trailer for this over and over, but I agree it's pretty spoilery. Alas, that's marketing for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Oh, I'm looking forward to this; HTTYD is my favourite out of all the Dreamworks movies by some way. I just loved that they didn't take any prisoners with the ending (the hard-won lesson for the hero that even good actions can have painful and very permanent consequences is one you rarely find in Disney/Dreamworks movies). That -and the wordless sequence where boy and dragon are training each other- lifted it from a good movie to a great one.

And the score is amazing, John Powell was robbed of the Academy Award for best soundtrack. Bloody Trent Reznor and The Social Network.

Recently watched Gift of The Night Fury, which is the Christmas special (voiced by all the original actors), and I'd urge everyone to take a look at it, the animation is the same quality as the film and the story is cute without being overly saccharine or preachy.

Pick posted:

Discussion of the TRAILER for HTTYD2 does require spoiler tags, however, as the creators of the film asked fans to avoid it if possible. I see a bunch of films so of course I've seen the trailer for this over and over, but I agree it's pretty spoilery. Alas, that's marketing for you!

Cannot quote this enough, trailer is shockingly spoilerly.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

How to Train Your Dragon was my favorite movie of 2010, animated or not. Can't wait for the sequel. Thanks to this thread for the heads up, I'll avoid the trailer as best I can.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...
I will point out, the teaser is just a short flying scene from the movie, gets you all amped up for the sequel, and barely spoils a thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AqHwgk2s8

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Saw it in the cinemas since it came out early in my region. I was not a gigantic fan of the first part, but I was looking forward to this one.

here goes, spoilered as much as I can:-

THE GOOD:-

- The dragon designs are pretty loving incredible, so is the fact that their animations are inspired by a mix of cats, dogs and birds.

- The characterization of the Mother Character is genuinely interesting, everything about the way she behaves and moves is completely indicative of someone who hasnt spoken to a human being in 20 years

- There is one scene thats only 2 minutes long that is so hayao miyazaki inspired and contains all the power and mystery that's pretty awesome but then gives way to familiar story conventions.

- The twist and turn in this movie is genuinely pretty brave of them, this is a movie with definite consequences.

- The flying and fighting scenes are pretty rad.

THE BAD

- The hero is a genuinely uninteresting character in and of himself. in fact all of the characters are pretty much by the numbers in terms of their dialogues.

- Theres a running joke that goes on for 3 times too many and veers into the realm of creepyness, in fact alot of the running gags fall flat.

- The bad guy is super uninspired, super bland, and is defeated THROUGH AN AMAZINGLY LAZY DISPLAY OF THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP AND LOVE.

- the fact that Even though they had the bravery to kill off major characters right there on screen. they couldn't bring themselves to do the same for the villain, who dies in a hilariously Disney-esque falling of the cliff. oh and what happened to his army of millions of men he had a second ago prior to the final battle that was only dragons?!

- There is something 'off' about the overall design and aesthetic, it's got cartoony style, but it's rendered realistically, it doesnt seem to blend and fit as much as my gut would like it to.

- I cannot for the life of me glean some meaning out of this movie or the story its trying to tell, it seems to strike me more as a series of events forced together to show off awesome dragons and going through a normal dreamworks story, with one or two HOLY poo poo THAT WAS UNEXPECTED moments but even through the force of those moments is real and super powerful the way things progress from that it's as if the movie sets itself back into familiar territory each time they do that, it's a shame, because when Pixar does their 'turn' moments they go all the way, but in this movie, it's almost like they dip their toe in lava and then apologize and go back to the same movies they've done before.

- I know this is a childrens movie, but something about the way that dragons can be so easily Turned Domestic kind of removes alot of their power and mystery. you'd expect that taming a dragon would take a little bit more effort than patting them on the side of their heads .

Overall, I give this movie a 6/10, 6 points for the loving amazing dragon designs and actual interesting turns. but loses 4 points for not capitalizing on those turns and forcing the film back into a familiar territory with not very interesting characters. also, the jokes in this movie save for one all fall flat completely.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 10, 2014

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I stumbled across the artbook for this Saturday and spoiled myself on a few things, but something that sounded great in the book that I'm curious how it translated to the film is how the reunion between Stoick and Valta goes

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Al-Saqr posted:

Overall, I give this movie a 6/10, 6 points for the loving amazing dragon designs and actual interesting turns. but loses 4 points for not capitalizing on those turns and forcing the film back into a familiar territory with not very interesting characters. also, the jokes in this movie save for one all fall flat completely.

That's disappointing. I was kinda interested in this movie, never saw the first though. Maybe I'll take my nieces sometime anyway, if they're bored.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

effectual posted:

That's disappointing. I was kinda interested in this movie, never saw the first though. Maybe I'll take my nieces sometime anyway, if they're bored.

Listen man, time spent with nieces is better than time not. Who knows maybe they'll completely love it because of the dragons. I'm just giving my opinion on the movie as animation movie buff.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I heard the trailer was very spoilery and avoided it for the longest time. Eventually watched it, and honestly the big "spoiler" in the trailer is so obviously how the movie was going to go. I don't feel like it has ruined anything for me. The movie looks loving awesome.

The first one was great. About the only real complaint I have is the human designs aren't nearly as interesting as the dragon designs. Toothless looks fantastic. All the other dragons are very different from each other and each has unique cool designs. The human character designs though are all very safe. Say what you will about Madagascar, but I appreciate that they went with a way more stylized look for both the animals and the humans. That's a pretty minor complaint though in an otherwise rad as hell movie. And it looks like Toothless is going to be even more adorable in the second movie so I'm looking forward to that.

Irisi posted:

And the score is amazing, John Powell was robbed of the Academy Award for best soundtrack. Bloody Trent Reznor and The Social Network.

John Powell is ALWAYS robbed! He has never won an Oscar for his work which is straight up bullshit because he does some of the best scores. Whatever you thought of Blue Sky's Horton Hears a Who, the soundtrack was phenomenal, especially the climax. John Powell loving rules and he does not get recognized enough for it.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 10, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Macaluso posted:

I heard the trailer was very spoilery and avoided it for the longest time. Eventually watched it, and honestly the big "spoiler" in the trailer is so obviously how the movie was going to go. I don't feel like it has ruined anything for me. The movie looks loving awesome.

Yeah the twist is not an ESB level spoiler, it's more like in Kung Fu Panda 2 when you find out that Po is adopted.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I feel like I've seen most of the movie from the trailer.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Any goons from Korea here that watch animated movies?

I'm wondering if they subtitle them like they do live action movies, or if they dub them?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Charlz Guybon posted:

Any goons from Korea here that watch animated movies?

I'm wondering if they subtitle them like they do live action movies, or if they dub them?

When I saw Frozen here, there were both subbed and dubbed options, although at the theaters I looked at, the subbed outnumbered the dubbed 3:1.

Edit: I just remembered, I wanted to see The Lego Movie but the only option was dubbed. So it's anyone's guess. This site to see movie listings and subbed/dubbed information.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 12, 2014

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I managed to catch an early screening of this last saturday and I thought it was as good as the first movie. I am a fan of the series though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
If I can't see it in IMAX3D, is it worth seeing in 3D at all?

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

future scoopin'...

wdarkk posted:

If I can't see it in IMAX3D, is it worth seeing in 3D at all?

I haven't seen it, but given the original is one of if not THE best 3D movie ever, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say YES.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Tripwyre posted:

I haven't seen it, but given the original is one of if not THE best 3D movie ever, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say YES.

For real. Everyone I've talked to about this I've told to see it in 3D because the first one's 3D was beyond breathtaking.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I just came back from this. I generally agree with Al Saqr's comments. At times it almost felt like two separate movies were happening that run into each other through the power of plot. I really didn't like how passive Hiccup was in the middle as he waited for the enemy just show up.

All in all I was disappointed after the spectacular first one. I might go as high as a 7/10 but I wouldn't go see it again.

farraday fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 13, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I enjoyed this a lot (just got back) but I felt it peaked early. Also I'm still confused why some leader-dragons and good and others aren't. When the bad alpha was looking up at Hiccup trying to mentally revive Toothless, I thought we'd be getting something more interesting where it stopped following Drago for some reason. We never really know why it does.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Pick posted:

I enjoyed this a lot (just got back) but I felt it peaked early. Also I'm still confused why some leader-dragons and good and others aren't. When the bad alpha was looking up at Hiccup trying to mentally revive Toothless, I thought we'd be getting something more interesting where it stopped following Drago for some reason. We never really know why it does.

I read the artbook, and it says that Drago managed to tame the Bewilderbeast through lots and lots of abuse, "like a circus animal forced to do tricks". Part of the reason it's got chains and scars

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Triskelli posted:

I read the artbook, and it says that Drago managed to tame the Bewilderbeast through lots and lots of abuse, "like a circus animal forced to do tricks". Part of the reason it's got chains and scars

Okay, I sort of assumed so, in which case the theme seems to have been pretty loving undermined.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Was anybody else reminded of The Empire Strikes Back? A lot?

Also I kept waiting for Hiccup to turn the "bad" bewilderbeast from Drago.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Might as well post here too.

I saw both movies tonight (mall had a double-bill) since I hadn't seen the first. First one was excellent and has a great message to teach kids/people (that could apply to almost every war in history). Second one is a good action/adventure movie with a couple flaws (plot kinda goes on pause in the middle for a bit, reminds me of the troll song/segment in Frozen) but still finishes strong. Worth seeing if only for the spectacular visuals and lots of cool dragons. Saw both in 3d, it was visually immersive (which is nice) but didn't seem important.

^ Looking back I can see some similarities with Luke's path in ESB/RotJ.

Malderi
Nov 27, 2005
There are three fundamental forces in this universe: matter, energy, and enlighted self-interest.

wdarkk posted:

Was anybody else reminded of The Empire Strikes Back? A lot?

According to IMDB, the creator was very heavily inspired by ESB in a "how to do the second of a trilogy" kind of way.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Saw it and loved it. The finale definitely wasn't quite as focused and poetic as the first, or even the rest of this film, but I still got a great kick out of it.

I think the movie did portray exactly how Drago would've dominated the alpha, when it showed him using that shouting intimidation thing against Snotlout's dragon. Size literally doesn't matter when it comes to this, as we see when Toothless successfully challenges the alpha at the end.

Sure, it's might not be immediately realistic (in a movie about fictional fantasy creatures with made-up sociological rules, natch) that tiny things are able to exert dominance over things hundreds of times their own size, but it synchs with this series' overall theme of bonds and empathy. Besides, tiny dogs are able to dominate big dogs all the time; this is just an extreme version of that. :v:

The one thing I will say I don't understand is why Hiccup was able to shake Toothless from the alpha's control at the end, when he couldn't do so just a couple hours earlier.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BrianWilly posted:

when he couldn't do so just a couple hours earlier.
I'm guessing something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqJw01setW0&t=10s

edit: re: the thread title
The dragons may move like cats but their personalities seem more like dogs.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 13, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The only IMAX 3D screenings here are before 3pm since Edge of Tomorrow is taking up the evening screenings. When the whole point of seeing this in 3D is for the flight sequences, I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch on a normal sized screen.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
When that whole pretty intense sequence happens about 75%-80% of the way through a bunch of people were openly weeping and walked out. By the time the movie actually finished and I walked out they were still sobbing in the entryway.

I'm actually kind of questioning if I'm the one that's broken in the head right now.

Yeah, the movie dragged out too long with the characters doing their own things or being entirely passive in the 2nd act, but I also quite like the trapper's turn arc and Stoic and Gobber's hunt sequence that was stuck in smack dab middle of that, plus the amazing visuals even then, so I dunno.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Saw it last night. Pretty good, I would have liked to see them not have two Bewildebeasts, just for more variety. Especially since the good one wasn't really using the mind control stuff (they just set the line up so they could use the babies later). Two different dragons and some kind of connection to the fuckoff huge dragon from the first one would have been more interesting. Also not really good or bad but they just couldn't resist having the bad alpha lose its left tusk, just like the villains left arm. I was also expecting them to end on a teaser of finding another female night fury but that was just pure speculation on my part, or we'll see it in a third movie...

And gently caress the rules to Dragon Racing. If the black sheep is worth 10 why even loving try for anything else, it practically wins you the game by itself. It's just like Quidditch all over again.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 13, 2014

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

So apparently they might develop more on the reason Gobber never got married in the next one. That puts this as the second major animated film after paranorman to include a confirmed gay character.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

If I wanted to buy an HD version of HTTYD1, which should I buy?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Magnus Condomus posted:

So apparently they might develop more on the reason Gobber never got married in the next one. That puts this as the second major animated film after paranorman to include a confirmed gay character.

There's a lot of conjecture about a single ad-libbed line.

quote:

“The reason it came about is because we were in the voice session. I was watching Gerry’s character fight with Cate Blanchett’s character, and the line I had in the script was - I say to Hiccup, “See, this is why I never married.” Then I ad-libbed the line, “And one more reason,” and I said after that, “That’s right, Gobber’s coming out,” and Dean (DeBlois, the director) said, “Oh, that’s it, maybe he should,” and so it was Dean’s decision, not mine. I just threw the ad-lib in. But Gerry, when he saw the film, thought that it wasn’t that I was gay, that the reason I hadn’t got married is because I had lost my junk - it got cut off in a dragon fight. Which tells you more about his mind than it does about anything else going on.”

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

wdarkk posted:

If I wanted to buy an HD version of HTTYD1, which should I buy?

Do you like putting disks in a thing? Then get the blu-ray. The special features aren't all that special, but some of the blu-ray special editions include a couple of the animated shorts.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Magnus Condomus posted:

Do you like putting disks in a thing? Then get the blu-ray. The special features aren't all that special, but some of the blu-ray special editions include a couple of the animated shorts.

I think some of them come with the Christmas episode, which is cute and nice :3:.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

future scoopin'...

effectual posted:

edit: re: the thread title
The dragons may move like cats but their personalities seem more like dogs.

Every cat owner will tell you their cat thinks it's a dog.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Pick posted:

I think some of them come with the Christmas episode, which is cute and nice :3:.

Amazon doesn't seem to indicate that any of the ones they sell do, and they cost a couple bucks more than buying digitally from iTunes.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Pick posted:

Baaaaaby dragons. :3: It was an adorable mini-movie, wasn't it?

For any UK people in the thread, there's special preview screenings this Sunday all over the country. I've got my ticket for the big IMAX screen in Glasgow and am quite unreasonably excited about it.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Irisi posted:

Baaaaaby dragons. :3: It was an adorable mini-movie, wasn't it?

For any UK people in the thread, there's special preview screenings this Sunday all over the country. I've got my ticket for the big IMAX screen in Glasgow and am quite unreasonably excited about it.

Gift of the Night Fury is what the TV show should have been like but never quite achieved.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Good movie, mindblowing visuals, Hiccup strangely low-key. Absolutely no explanation of why the Alpha followed Drago, I almost thought it would be the big dragon from the last one that maybe Drago got to after Hiccup almost completely killed it which would have been a cool way of tying the two together...but nope, walrus all around.

The IMAX theater near me is still showing Maleficent and all the Cinemark "XD" theaters are showing 22 Jump Street. Trying to decide what sin I committed to deserve this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Upon reflection, I think my favorite part by a huge margin was Hiccup's parents' song. It was lovely but also so sad. Really pitch-perfect.

• Locked thread