Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

For years, legends have circulated across the continent, speaking of a treasure as wondrous as it is well-guarded. The Four Keeps of the long banished Lich-Kings and the arcane artifacts within have sat hidden away for as long as anyone can remember now, their legend growing with each passing year. You thought them to be a myth, until while downing a mug of ale in a hole in the wall tavern, you were approached by a patron. The woman had a map she claimed led right to the doorstep of the Four Keeps, she only needed a team wily and fierce enough to claim its rewards. Alone, such a task would be beyond the abilities of even a group as deadly as your own, which was why it was to be a contest. Four teams, four keeps. The one to claim the most treasure would be allowed to keep it. The others' goods, forfeit. After some convincing, and a few more flagons, you were bold enough to accept the challenge.

After a journey of months you arrive, the first souls to set foot on this blighted ground in living memory. For not the first time since this adventure began you survey your traveling companions, and with a smirk are assured of your own superiority. Still though, standing before the First Keep, you began to wonder, maybe, if this had been an entirely wise decision. Before you can reassure yourself, the door ahead bursts open, daring you to enter.

Welcome! Tschak is a neat little card game I discovered the other day. This isn't anything as complicated as Dungeon Lords, but it's something I think could use a little more exposure.

The core mechanic is simple. You play three cards of three different suites. Highest combined value wins some loot, lowest value has to fight a monster, taking away some points. Ties are broken in order of Blue/Green/Red/Purple cards, any further ties are won by the character with a weapon of some kind in their hand. You can find a more in-depth explanation of the rules here.

There is a bit of luck and randomness in this game. Some of that is mitigated by the fact that hands rotate at the end of each round, the rest is hopefully mitigated by an even distribution of points across the hands. However, I cannot guarantee this will be a 100% fair experience, be forewarned.

This game should move pretty quickly, I would encourage you to sign up only if you can check in at least once a day, with weekends counting as a whole day together if we get to that point. I would be very surprised if this game was still going next Monday. Signups are first-come, first-served. If there is enough interest I am more than happy to run more games afterwards. Please provide an alternate point of contact if you do not have private messages.

Players
1) Puppies are dicks
4 Coins
2) Clockwork Gadget
6 Coins
3) Go RV!

4) Some Numbers

2 Coins

Resources
Rules

Card Pools

Play reference:
Glublub the Croaker 1x3, Smidge the Silent 2x3, Slink the Deft 3x3, Arbik the Inscrutable 4x3
Apprentice Bick 1x2, Rashum the Gormless 2x2, Harold the Survivor 3x2, Harmony the Learned 4x2
Frazzum the Handy 1x1, Deliliah the Maker 2x1, Raspus of Hyperborea 3x1, The Last 4x1

Play reference:
Stavos 1x3, Feck 2x3, Molty 3x3, Jaspar 4x3
Glavan 1x2, Hrack 2x2, Rona 3x2, Gilfoyle 4x2
Vorn the Scaled 1x1, Bara the Beast 2x1, Tholin 3x1, The Whisper 4x1

Play reference:
Grickle 1x3, Rana 2x3, Grampa 3x3, Bomba 4x3
Stickle the Blessed 1x2, Houk the Red 2x2, Daine the Southern 3x2, Gola the Beater 4x2
Grimlif 1x1, Tauros the Hand 2x1, Terry 3x1, Graf the Once 4x1

Spent Cards for Current Keep
Puppies are dicks

Clockwork Gadget

Go RV!

Some Numbers

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Oh this looks interesting. I would like to play, please. You can contact me via PMs or at my email account zuluninertango [at] yahoo.com

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
<--- me as I was signing up to play this game

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I will do this thing. I will play this game.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Awesome, one spot remains to be filled and then we can kick this off.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Sure, I'll give this a shot.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
IT BEGINS!

Levels goes in ascending order, starting at level one and working upward to the top of the keep. All card reveals happen simultaneously. If I need to clarify anything in regards to the rules, please let me know.

Current Status: Keep 1, Level 1, Card 1

3/4 submissions complete.

Submissions due in 24 hours.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 11, 2014

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Puppies are dicks

Clockwork Gadget

Go RV!

Some Numbers

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 12, 2014

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Puppies are dicks - 8

Clockwork Gadget - 8

Go RV! - 7

Some Numbers - Currently 12

Last card for this level is due, if you want to preload for the start of the next level that's fine too.

Submission status: 3/4

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 12, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

How would we preload? Don't we switch hands at the end of the round?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Some Numbers posted:

How would we preload? Don't we switch hands at the end of the round?

You switch hands at the end of each Keep.

Also, I posted the incorrect flip for Puppies. Sorry, Puppies!

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Pretty sure we switch after each tower, not each floor.

e: :argh:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh. That...makes way more sense. I probably should have played this floor differently.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

At least it's a pretty good prize if you win this hand? And we do have an entire three other rounds than this one so it's unlikely that going tall now will really set you back.

edit: That's ok Somberero! Worried me for a sec but it's no biggie.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Puppies are dicks - 13

Clockwork Gadget - 13

Go RV! - 10

Some Numbers 12

The entrance to the First Keep is more perilous than you would have ever guessed, but even its fabled horrors cannot compete with the combined might of the expedition's strike force as the teams decide to send their strongest combatants in first.

Ties go to the strongest wizard, Chameleons always lose ties.

Go RV!

As your crew hacks blasts its way through a veritable menagerie of beasts and twisted humanoids, it isn't until the other groups are out of sight that you realize you've fallen behind. Tauros mutters a low Dwarven curse, then takes off down a winding passageway that leads into the remnants of an alchemists lab. As the group explores the various odds and ends in search of something valuable, the floor shakes and an enormous arm erupts from the ground. A massive stone golem rises up in front of the room's only exit. It seems no one ever told the lab's guardian his services were no longer required.

Go RV! adds the Golem to their score area.

Puppies are dicks

Your team powers through the hordes of horrors within the First Keep by seemingly sheer force of will, barely slowing down to dispatch foes as they are encountered. Before long, Raspus blasts his way through a wall to find an abandoned armory. While most of the weapons are either rusted or bearing strange curses, one potion tucked away in a chest glows bright blue within view of his wizards sight. Dispatching orders to Rona while he guards the hallway, she plucks it from its hiding spot and gives it a whiff. It becomes apparent this is no ordinary healing brew, even smelling it gives a sense of invigoration. Still though, for a moment Rona can't help but be disappointed. They accepted this quest in search of treasure and glory, not remedies!

As the team reflects upon their relative misfortune, a tremendous roar is heard nearby and seconds later a small red blur comes crashing through the wall of the armory before carrying on through the next in a hail of dust and masonry. Rona gently stuffs the potion in her satchel.

Puppies are dicks adds the Healing Potion to their score area. At the end of the game he can remove any one monster card from his score area

Submissions for level 2 due in 24. Remember that on level two, card flips go one, and then two at a time.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Wow, I did not expect to win that hand at all. Hurray for me!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Very hard-fought by all, I'll be interested to see what the rest of this keep looks like.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
:argh: PUPPIES

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

3/4 submissions processed. Added tiebreaker info to the OP in case there's any confusion.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Keep 1 Level 2

Puppies are dicks

Clockwork Gadget

Go RV!

Some Numbers

Next play is two cards.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Keep 1 Level 2

Puppies are dicks - 5

Clockwork Gadget - 10

Go RV! - 7

Some Numbers - 7

Puppies are dicks

As your small scouting party explores the second floor, a faint chittering sound seems to follow you wherever you go, putting the team on edge. By the time you finish exploring, the crew is exhausted mentally and and physically. As young Bick sets down his pack and reaches inside for a canteen, sharp teeth clamp down on his wrist. A small purple beast hops out and tries to skitter away, but Grampa catches it with a quick kick to the back of the skull. Bick examines his wounds, and to his surprise finds they don't hurt much. However, they do emanate a sickly green light.

Puppies are dicks adds a Troglodyte to his score area.

Clockwork Gadget

After ingesting a small bag of bitter-tasting leaves, Daine wields his hammer with a strength that belies his stature. Back to back, he and Gilfoyle secure their corridor with ease. Gilfoyle hops over the remains of a troll and into a room with a single, unassuming pedestal in its center. In the pedestal there is a small basin with a ring in its center. Somehow there is still water in the basin, but it radiates out from around the ring as if afraid to touch it. Gilfoyle slips it on.

Throughout the dungeon, canteens rise jerkily into the air and rain droplets on the windows of the keep burst outward. Gilfoyle blinks, and the power within him slips just outside of his reach. Still, whatever magics reside within this treasure are equal to that of the mightiest sorcerer, a fine treasure indeed!

Clockwork Gadget adds a Ring of Power to his score area.

Cards for keep three due sometime Monday, I'll update the thread again if I have a chance this weekend.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

You're welcome. :colbert:

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Ha ha, those chameleons. What a good use of those.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Final level of the keep!

Puppies are dicks - 13

Clockwork Gadget - 5

Go RV! - 11

Some Numbers - 9

Puppies are dicks adds a 5 point treasure to his score area!

Clockwork Gadget adds a nasty ole' spider to his score area!

Hands will be updated sometime after the forums quit dying.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Yeah sorry, there's no way I can get everything up with the forums like this. I'll give it a shot tomorrow night. Sorry for the delay!

As an aside, I believe the extra loot points for this round go:

1) Clockwork
2) RV!
3) Puppies
4) Some Numbers

I'll confirm that when I make the update Monday.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Leftover card points:

Clockwork - 3 Coins

Puppies - 2 Coins

Some Numbers - 1 Coin

Keep 2

Hands have gone out. Some Numbers, your inbox is full.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Somberbrero posted:

Some Numbers, your inbox is full.

Fixed.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Quick question, do we know who we passed our hand to?

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Puppies are dicks posted:

Quick question, do we know who we passed our hand to?

Look at this try-hard.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Look at this try-hard.

:P I will bury you. It probably doesn't make a huge difference since we'll be able to figure it out after the first hand anyway.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Yeah, that's public information. Hands rotate position to the next player. Three goes to four, four goes to one, etc.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Puppies are dicks

Clockwork Gadget

Go RV!

Some Numbers

Card two is up for those of you who have not preloaded!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Still waiting on a submission, will try and update tonight if it gets in.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Puppies are dicks

Clockwork Gadget

Go RV!

Some Numbers

I'm pretty sure I got that card right puppies, yes?

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

Yep.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hooray, outage over!

Puppies are dicks - 9

Clockwork Gadget - 8

Go RV! - 11

Some Numbers - 10

Clockwork Gadget

Figuring the odds of finding treasure are best if you leave the beaten path, Glublub finds a tunnel leading to a subterranean chamber covered in glittering treasure. Stickle gasps and rushes forward, only to fall into a dark pool as the treasure disappears. It seems the illusion was the only magic Glublub sensed! As Stickle starts to climb out, a finned beast erupts from the pool's surface with a roar.

Clockwork Gadget adds a dumb fish to his score area!

Go RV

Your team wanders through the dungeon for some time, unable to find the prize you know this level must hide. After hours of fruitless search, Rona stops the party and sniffs the air. Sensing a draft, she puzzles over the stonework until finding a barely perceptible gap. Together, the team pounds away at the masonry until the wall breaks through, unleashing gale of wind so powerful that it slams your party into the opposite wall. On the other side, they find a chamber empty, except for a ring floating in its center. It fits Rona perfectly, and for a brief moment she can sense the breath of every being in the keep.

Go RV adds some dope ice to his score area!

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

I would have been surprised to be the winner of that hand. Still in it to win it though, everybody else still around?

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I put mine in :colbert:

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Sent mine in days ago. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009