Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

Sitting in his seat, Mark stares out the windshield and into the rain, eyes dilated all the way from the sudden rush of adrenaline. "That... that was the tire, right? And now it is raining... This day just can't get any better, can it?"

The young setting designer lets loose with a massive sigh as he reaches into his pocket and pulls out his cellphone.

"Well, let me see if we get any signal. It will take, what, only two or three hours for a tow truck to reach us, right?"

Trying to call for roadside assistance! Does Mark get a signal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley Zubizaretta - Around the Campfire

Stanley's mind seems to implode in on itself as Rowsdower is impaled. The image of the bloody talons sears itself into his brain, permanently etching a perfect impression of the moment into his head.

His chest feels like it's dropped 20 stories into the earth. He tries to move, but nothing happens.

When the terror wears off, Stanley will scoop up his Marlin and sprint for the cabin as fast as possible.

Basic Move 5
Running 7

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Nick Currier

Nick lets out a long string of profanity, and then falls silent once more. "Well poo poo. Even aside from the tire, I don't like the idea of trying to get back to civilization in this kind of weather. Once I get the spare on, do you still want to try and push on, or could you deal with going back to the cabin? I'm gonna take a look at the tire, think it over and lemme know." Nick roots around in his bag, pulls out a raincoat, and tugs it on before stepping out of the car into the worsening rain. He hunches down near the blown-out tire, trying to see how badly damaged it was.

Which tire blew out, anyways? And would you allow me to make an IQ-based Driving roll to put on the spare?

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Around the Campfire

Thomas and Stanley both decide the better part of valour is not being attacked by a monster, and run inside. Stanley quickly grabs his rifle before making his retreat.

ichitoryu12: the leather bound book is sitting beside the fire, where it fell from Rowsdower's pocket.

On The Road

Mark's cellphone is flashing between having a single bar of reception, and not having any reception at all whenever lightening flashes. His attempts at calling roadside assistance are largely futile, with the call being dropped before someone ever picks up on the other end.

Nick's inspection of the tires shows that the front right tire has blown. The right rear tire also has a long, shallow cut in it, potentially from the skidding stop. Pulling out the spare is a task made miserable by the pouring rain and howling wind, but it's done after a few minutes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley Zubizaretta - Cabin Main Room

"poo poo gently caress poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo gently caress!!!!"

Stanley falls to his knees as soon as he gets inside, letting Thomas slam the door shut and lock it. The rifle clatters onto the wood next to him. "Okay, stay calm...just stay calm. Bears...bears are here. I need to shoot bears. Bears are bad. Bears killed scary Jewish man. Okay?"

Trying as hard as he can to steady his breathing, Stanley picks up his Marlin. With shaking fingers, he shoves the safety off. His gun has 5 rounds of big bullets ready to tear up the next beast that comes through the door.

A bit of brown on the floor catches his eye, and he turns. The little leather-bound book is on the floor by the crackling fireplace. He crawls a few feet and scoops it up with one hand.

"What even IS this loving thing?!"

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas Brandt - Cabin Main Room

Thomas immediately begins looking for something heavy to put in front of the front door and the room's solitary window. "No loving way that was a bear, man. No loving way. Bears don't laugh do they? No, no, of course not." Thomas wracked his brain, trying to figure out what the gently caress that could be.

Thomas is going to move some furniture in front of the door! He has ST 11 for this. While he's doing this, he's gonna think about what the hell that could be. Not sure if non-ghosts are covered by Hidden Lore(Spirit Lore) 10, but if it's non-applicable or the check fails, use Occultism 13. Thomas will accept it as truth either way.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT loving WAS, OKAY?!" Stanley roars at Thomas. He pauses, letting himself calm down a bit. "This place has bears. That was a bear. This gun is for loving up bears. You're hearing things, Thomas, all right?"

Call it denial.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

After trying unsuccessfully to get roadside assistance on the line for five minutes, and getting disconnected fifteen times in a row, Mark finally gives up and tries to find his rain gear in the back seat. The car being jacked up on the right side didn't help, and trying to get past the stick shift so he could get out the drivers side door was worse.

Still, he was standing in the rain, holding a flashlight for Nick, when the spare tire was put in place and the jack was removed. And even to Marks eyes, something was painfully obvious.

"Uh... Nick. Will the rear tire hold? The road is rough, and between the rear tire and your spare and the rain and dark... maybe we should find a place where we can wait for morning?"

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Nick Currier, on the road

Nick places the jack and tire iron into the back of the truck, and wipes his hands on a rag. He looks at the rear tire, frowning. "Well, I've only go the one spare, and if we wait until morning that isn't going to make the tire any better. On the other hand, it's coming down in buckets out here, and I can't see for poo poo. Let's just wait it out here for the night, sleep in the truck. It's not that cold out so that won't be an issue." He sighs, and looks back the way they came. "As it is, I don't think we're going to make it back to the town on that tire. We'll be lucky to make it back to the cabin, but I think that in the morning that's what we should do. Maybe Rowsdowser's SUV has a spare that'll fit. I know that's not what you wanted to do, but it look like our hand's been forced."

Could I make another IQ-based Driving check to figure out how long the damaged tire will last?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley gets up and puts his back against the far wall, facing the front door. No matter what, he's not going to let himself get hit from behind.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

"M-maybe you're right. I-I dunno. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Help me out here, I don't want it getting in!" Thomas resumed looking for something appropriate to block the door or window with.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Yeah, okay....okay."

Stanley can't see much of anything except the table that can be moved. He sweeps the tin of liquid off the table and begins shoving it toward the door.

Strength 10 to move any furniture

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Cabin Main Room

Thomas and Stanley manage to readily move the table and benches to block the front door and the window. While the benches are only about 50 pounds each, and easy to move, the table is nearly two hundred pounds from the heavy lumber used in it's construction. It takes a few minutes to move into place, blocking the door. The chest from the bedroom is set on top of the table, with it's nearly five hundred pound bulk of oak and iron making the table under it almost impossible to move.

Thomas can't remember EVER hearing about and spirit or anything occult that has foot long claws, or looks anything like the creature did.

Moving everything into place takes about fifteen minutes

Roland T. Dapperman: As you move the chest, you remember a rough drawing of something skinny, with massive teeth and claws inside the leather journal.

On the road

Nick examines the tire closely. In it's current condition, it's already beginning to leak air. Another serious bump will cause a blowout. The tire will likely be flat from the leak in about half an hour, and too flat to drive on at all in 45 minutes.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas slumps against the nearest wall and begins to catch his breath. "Ok. Ok. I think we're safe. Let's take a few minutes to calm down, then we'll think about how we're gonna get out of here. There's no way the professor is NOT going to give us a break after we tell him what just happened. Mind tossing me the book?"

If/when Stanley hands over the book, Thomas is going to turn on his lantern and skim through it for any sketches of whatever just killed Rowsdower.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley is quiet for a beat.

".....give us a break? That's what you're worried about?" His eyes grow harder, and his voice shaky. "One of our classmates is probably having his face chewed off right now. Nick and Mark are God knows where. And you're worried about Jackson's response to us not finishing our class project?"

He lets silence hang between them. There's nothing but the pounding rain and thunder in the distance. Then he scoops up the book and, without looking, throws it toward Thomas without care for whether it lands in his hands or not.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas Brandt

The book hits Thomas in the face, which he feel he deserves. "poo poo, man. You're right. I'm sorry. I'm kinda all over the place at the moment, getting caught up on stupid small poo poo. I'm sure Nick and Mark are fine, though. poo poo, they're probably miles away by now. I'm more worried about us at the moment, how are we gonna get outta here?"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"I....I don't know," Stanley says. "I could barely even get my bike out here on that ground when it was sunny and dry. We won't be able to see poo poo for hours. And.......and I don't just want to leave that guy's poo poo here, man. We should at least scoop up the guns so nobody finds them."

He looks out the window, and sees nothing but black. The only light in the cabin is coming from the still-crackling fire.

"We might just have to wait here for morning."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas switches on his lantern and flips through the book. "Morning? Yeah, morning sounds good. No loving way I'm going outside while it's still dark. And, uh, you might not like this, but what if we took Rowsdower's bigass SUV outta..." Thomas trails off after he realizes that the SUV's keys are most likely still on Rowsdower, and Rowsdower is, uh...Yeah.

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 15, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"He had his keys on him when he left," Stanley says, coming to the same conclusion. He didn't consider the word he used when describing Rowsdower's demise.

He stops talking for a while, the only noises being Thomas flipping through the book and the storm outside.

"Hey, where'd we leave that knife?"

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nick Currier, on the road

Nick swore as he felt air moving from the gash. "Tabernac! It's leaking already. Let's get going back to the cabin, get as far as we can on it." He hopped back into the driver's seat, and begins to drive cautiously back towards the cabin.

Driving 11, concentrating on staying on the road. Half an hour should be enough to get us back to the cabin even if we take it slow, we only got a few clicks I think.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Cabin Main Room

After getting nailed in the face with the book, Thomas starts studying. It's not a quick process, flipping through the book of odd shorthand notes, drawings, symbols, and the occasional newspaper clipping. But then he finds it. The drawing.

It's not quite the same as the creature he saw, but damned close. And it's labeled.

"Oct 1978; skch of wendigo. 1st. Fmr hum. Trp in circ, radius max 3y, crpl, giv 'fire in the belly'; hotsauce/molt Pb"

On the page opposite is another drawing, also labeled

"hndful wendigos hair, scttr arnd circ. circ drwn w/ min 1kg orchre or 0.5L hum blood+ 0.5kg salt; blood advis fr bait"

Dim light flashes though the window.

I'm assuming one, or both, of you have a light source, or you filled+lit the rusty kerosene lantern. It's pretty dark out, and there's virtually no visibility.

Outside the Cabin

Nick's truck makes it back to the cabin, but the tire is seriously low. His headlights can barely penetrate the pouring rain and the gloom to illuminate the cabin.

FireSight: Mark can see Rowsdower leaning against a tree, just on the side of the road opposite the cabin.

Just as a warning for anyone who wasn't in IRC, I'm going to be away at a memorial/funeral thing for a week. In that time, I'll phonepost when I can. I'll aim for once a day, but that's not 100%. I'll be back to full regular posting next week.

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 16, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

I'm assuming one, or both, of you have a light source, or you filled+lit the rusty kerosene lantern. It's pretty dark out, and there's virtually no visibility.

Thomas flipped on his electric lantern to read the book, and Stanley has a survival flashlight on him.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

"Holy poo poo, man! Look what's in this noteb--what is that?" Thomas looks out the window. "Oh poo poo, I think that's Nick's truck! Why the gently caress would they come back here? Quick, help me with the fuckin' furniture!" Thomas starts franticly moving the stuff in front of the door. That HAS to be Nick's truck. There's no way a cop or whatever could make it out this far, this fast.

Moving the furniture out of the way! (11 ST)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley hasn't even halfway crawled over to Thomas when the pair suddenly spot the headlights cutting through the window. "Hang on, I thought they left," Stanley says. Realization dawns on his face "poo poo, that thing is still out there!"

He slings his rifle and runs after Thomas to try and shove the furniture out of the way. It may have been a little dumb after they just spent all that effort trying to barricade the door, but Stanley wasn't leaving the pair out in the rain with whatever just ate Rowsdower.

Strength 10 to move furniture

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

"Oh god damnit, the tire blows and we get a flat and now we come back and Rowsdower is sulking out in the dark in the rain. As if he wasn't creepy enough. Look, I'm just going to duck inside and go to sleep, I don't want to talk to him."

Barely waiting for the truck to come to a stop, Mark opens the vehicle door and makes a dash for the cabin door, backpack of stuff in his hand.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nick Currier

Nick hops out of the truck himself, and frowning as he looks at the tire, slings his duffel bag over one shoulder his shotgun over the other, and carrying his backpack by the straps, trudges towards the cabin, his feet squelching in the mud. He pauses as he reaches the door, and calls over his shoulder to Rowsdowser. "What are you doing standing out there in the rain?"

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Cabin Main Room

Thomas and Stanely get to work moving the pile of heavy furniture from in front of the door. It'll be done in a minute or two, but that'll leave them with a room full of extremely heavy objects.

If you're both hurrying, it'll cost 1 FP each. If not, it's gonna take a good five minutes at least.

Outside the Cabin

Mark finds the cabin door blocked, can can hear Thomas and Stanely exerting themselves to move stuff out of the way.

Nick receives no reply from Rowsdower, who continues to lean against the tree soundlessly.

Sorry for the slow posting, I've been doing my headless chicken impression trying to get things done and ready, as well as visiting family I haven't seen for years.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

"Guys? Why is the door blocked? What did Rowsdower do? Oh god." It only took a moment for the mental math to finish, Mark reaching the logical conclusion that Thomas and Stanley had blocked the door so that Rowsdower was unable come in. And with the thunderstorm going on, and neither of them seeming to be the type of assholes to play cruel pranks (especially on heavily armed men with anger issues), meant that some serious poo poo must have gone down. "Criss, what in Gods name did he do?!" His head turns to the side so that he can look at Rowsdower out of the corner of his eye, suddenly scared to have his back facing the Quebecois-hating gun-nut.

Criss* - "Christ" in Quebecois-french

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley hurries as fast as he can to fling the items out of the way. Nick and Mark aren't safe outside; whatever spiked Rowsdower, bear or not, is probably still sitting out there watching them.

"ROWSDOWER IS DEAD!" Stanley shouts through the door. He's not sure if Mark heard him over the roar of the rain and thunder. "SOMETHING IS OUT THERE!"

Sacrificing the 1 FP to get the stuff out of the way.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas added, "Don't go anywhere! We'll have it in a minute!" Thomas cursed himself for not having this done faster. Every second wasted could mean another classmate ripped in half by the wendigo. Thomas pushed himself harder.

Also burning 1 FP to move the barricade faster.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nick Currier

"WHAT? What the hell do you mean? he's standing right over-" Nick looks over his shoulder at Rowsdowser, and his face goes white. As Stanley's words register, he drops his pack and duffel and pulls his shotgun into his arms. It takes only a few seconds, but to Nick it feels like he's moving in slow motion.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Alright, I'm home. Expect regular posting of 'whenever the gently caress I'm conscious' to resume later tonight.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Outside The Cabin

Mark and Nick's looks back at Rowsdower from a different angle shows something they hadn't seen before. The fact that he's being held up by a tripod of stick impaled into his torso, almost like he's a deer being prepared for cleaning.

Lightening flashes, and the sound of thunder is mixed with something that sounds far, far worse.

Inside the cabin

With both men exerting themselves, it doesn't take long to get the heavy furniture out of the way, unblocking the door. Anything that wants to can now get in.

Sorry for the double post

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas mouths "Get your gun.", at Stanley before shouting, "IT'S OPEN! GET THE gently caress IN!" Thomas moves to yank the door open.

Opening that door.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nick Currier
Nick flinches at the sound that rings around the clearing, and pushes Mark through the door before throwing his bags in and then stepping through, slamming the door behind him, and leaning on it, breathing heavily. His face is white, and his eyes dart from Stanley to Thomas.

"What the hell happened? Rowsdowser... what- what killed him? Did a bear come looking for food or something?"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"It was a...." Stanley's throat clamps up. He desperately wants to say exactly what he saw, but his brain refuses to spit it out. It was too unbelievable. It couldn't exist.

"I don't know what it was."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas slouches against a wall, arms sore from moving hundreds of pounds worth of furniture. "I, uh. I know I'll sound crazy, but that book from earlier that Rowsdower was looking through, uh, has a drawing of it. Says it's a wendigo." Thomas picks up the book and shows the drawing to everyone.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

"A what? What in Criss is a 'Whendigo'? And why would it kill someone? Bears and wolves I know, people I know, even a moose can kill someone, but we don't have any other giant predators around... right?" The adrenaline just won't stop pumping through his veins, magnifying his fear and making his mind leap from point to point. What did this? What was it? Did it go away? Was it still there?

"Why did you block the door? Is it still out there? Did it try to get in?"

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas was pretty sure he read a wikipedia article about wendigos. They were the snow monsters, right? No wait, that's yetis. Let's see, Wendigo, Wendigo. Ohhh, right. Thomas spoke up, "They're, like, a Native American monster. They, uh, they're either people who ate other people and turned into one, or was it you got possessed by one? I dunno, all I know is that they don't do anything other than kill and eat people. As for whether or not it's still out there, I don't know. I HOPE not." Thomas shuddered. He hadn't forgotten the wendigo's awful laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley stares at Thomas, his rifle still hanging from its sling on his back.

"Do you have....any idea how nuts you sound to these two?"

• Locked thread