Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
  • Locked thread
paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007
Fighting poverty...one bum at a time.

Thomas Brandt - Cavern

Thomas picked up a couple of handfuls of what was presumably wendigo hair. "Never mind guys, I found some hair after all! Let's get the hell outta here!" Thomas carefully climbed down the outcropping and went to join the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Stanley Zubizaretta - Cavern

"That sounds like a good idea. The rest of the stuff is upstairs," Stanley says. He waves the light around the unknown tunnel just to check for any movement, then aims it back toward the way to the basement.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas Brandt - Cavern

Thomas shifted around nervously, "drat right it's a good idea. This ain't a good place."

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Stanley Zubizaretta - Cavern

Satisfied for now that there's nothing waiting to leap out of the darkness and claw his face off, Stanley begins carefully, quietly walking back toward the basement.

Stanley is heading out of the cavern back to the basement.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Nick Currier - Cavern

Nick puts down the skull and nods at the others, peering towards the other end of the cave. "Yeah, lets head back.'

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas Brandt - Cavern

Thomas followed Stanley back to the basement, semi-relieved to be out of the cave.

Also going back to the basement!

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

Hail SS-18 Satan, May His Passing Cleanse The Earth

Cellar

The film students arrive back at the basement. It's eerily quiet for a second before everyone realizes they can't hear thunder anymore.

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at Sep 9, 2014 around 03:38

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Stanley Zubizaretta - Cellar

"Huh....no more rain?"

Stanley shrugs, and then starts heading back.

Going back up to the cabin where we left the jars.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Sorry guys, going to drop. Trying to cut down the number of games I need to pay attention to before classes start.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

FireSight posted:

Sorry guys, going to drop. Trying to cut down the number of games I need to pay attention to before classes start.

Understood Firesight. Send me a PM when you get the chance, eh?

chitoryu12, you can just move around and do things. If something needs rolling for, or something unexpected happens, I'll let you know.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

I'm waiting for input from the others to see if they put forth any plan of action.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas Brandt - Cellar

"One less thing to worry about, I guess." Thomas crept back upstairs to grab his camera and the jars he needed to trap the wendigo. He whispered to Stanley while doing so, "So, where do you think we should set this up? Outside's not an option. Too wet."

Also going back upstairs to grab those jars.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Stanley talks as he walks up the stairs. "Hm. Maybe we can set up back in the cavern? Gives us a more open area to trap it."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas Brandt - Cellar

"That might work, but I'm not sure. The book says to bait it with human blood, and there's already, uh, a bunch down there. Think it'd be able to pick up the smell or whatever?"

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

"Wasn't all that blood dried?" asks Stanley. "I think fresh blood will be what lures it in."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas Brandt - Cellar

Thomas seems somewhat reassured. "Yeah, I guess so. I guess as a bonus, the cave has plenty of stuff we could use to conceal the trap. Thing can talk, so we gotta assume it's at least a little bit smart."

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Stanley Zubizaretta - Cabin Main Room

"Agreed," says Stanley as he enters the cabin proper, where the jars were left. "This thing's got a brain, which means we need to outsmart it. Set up an ambush. Where'd you leave those jars?"

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

Cabin Main Room

The jars remain sitting on the floor where they were left, after the hurry to shove the table in front of the door.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

"All right," Stanley says. "So we need....hot sauce, hair, blood, salt, and molten lead. Lead's the only thing not on hand, but we can melt that poo poo over a campfire and we have plenty of ammo. Nick's shotgun shells can be cut open and the shot poured out, so we can use those easily."

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Nick Currier

Nick follows the others back into the cabin, and begins to pull a few shells out of his pocket. "Does it say how much lead we need? There's a little under an ounce of shot in each shell. We might want to open up the windows when we start melting it, I don't want to breath in any fumes." He look at the windows, and how brow furrows. "Huh, the thunder's stopped."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas Brandt - Cabin

Thomas rifled through the jars, pulling out the ones he needed: the hot sauce, the blood, and the orchre. "Uh, I dunno. The hot sauce and the molten lead were one of the only things on the list that didn't have amounts listed." Thomas opened up the journal again and ran through it, "Let's see, got the 1 kilogram of orchre, got some blood for bait, and I got the hot sauce. Do we have anything we can actually hold molten lead in?"

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

"Uhh, lemme think," ponders Stanley. Molten lead should be able to be safely held in any container that can handle the heat, but he's not sure how long it'll stay melted. "Do we have a metal pot or something? Or a glass bottle?"

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas Brandt - Cabin Main Room

"I got an empty jar here we can use. There's also some glass bottles in my duffle bag if we need em'", Thomas said, pointing to his bag in the corner of the cabin. "Ok, do we have anything that burns hot enough to melt lead? I'm not sure this wood stove is gonna cut it.", Thomas reached into his pocket to check his phone for the melting point of lead before remembering there's no signal this far out in the woods.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

"Dude, think about the old Revolutionary War soldiers," Stanley says. "Ever watch The Patriot? You can melt lead over a campfire. Besides, didn't some of us bring camping stoves? Lead is dense, yeah, but it's pretty fuckin' easy to melt."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas hadn't seen the movie, but it was good enough to reassure him, "Oh, good. I, uh, kinda slept through a lot of high school chemistry. Alright, I think we got all the stuff we need then, as long as the windows open. I don't wanna kill this thing only to die of lead poisoning."

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

"Let's get started then."

Going to start making the stuff now with everything we have, based Thomas's interpretation of the journal. Let's say five shotgun shells provide the lead? If nobody objects, we can use one of our camp stoves to cook it. If the camp stoves were left outside, try to use the stove in the cabin.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

The camp stoves are all still outside, if I recall(though I may be wrong). You can, in fact, melt lead in a jar without a problem, as long as the temperature doesn't shift too rapidly. As soon as Beardless and Roland post what they'll be doing I'll drop in another post to advance everything.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

"You said the guy in that movie used a campfire right? I'll fire up the stove and try that.", Thomas said as he began to load the old woodstove with some of the nearby wood. "Ok, I think it would be best if one or both of you keeps an eye out, in case that thing notices us doing this. Also, I need a lighter."

Thomas is getting everything ready for lead melting.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nick Currier - Cabin Main Room

Nick walks over to the window, opens it, and peers outside, speaking to Tom over his shoulder. "If it's a woodstove there's bound to be some matches around somewhere." He walks to the other windows in turn, opening them and checking the surrounding area, and making sure that the doors, s well as the trapdoor, are securely shut and barred.

Per 12 and poo poo, making sure the wendigo isn't chilling in the top bunk or some poo poo

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas nods, "Gotcha.", and begins looking for some matches to light the stove with.

Using search/scrounging to find some matches. Scrounging defaults to perception-4 (8) and Search defaults to Per-5 (7).

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

Cabin

Thomas finds a large box of matches near the woodstove, and with a little effort gets it burning, bright and hot. Shells are cut open, and about five ounces of shot is poured into the empty jar, and put into the stove to heat. Before too long, the lead balls at the bottom of the jar begin to melt.

The circle is with ochre by Stanley, while Nick double checks that everything is secure. After about 10 minutes, everything is down solid, and the circle is drawn. It takes around another 10 minutes for the lead to melt down completely.

The groups' camera man, sets up his gear to record whatever happens. Both his video camera and 35mm film are ready to go. Mark works quickly, in silence setting everything up. It seems to the others that he's pretty rattled.

chitoryu12: It occurs to you that setting the bait should be the last thing you do, so you hold off on opening up the jar of what appears to be blood.

You've all got about 10 minutes for any last minute prep before Tall, Dark, and Hungry shows up. If anyone wants to do anything in that time, tell me now. If not, then poo poo's gonna get real.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Exactly where is the circle located?

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Exactly where is the circle located?

I'm assuming the centre of the room unless someone says otherwise.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas watched the lead melt as he pondered the best way to deliver the hot sauce and (or?) lead to the wendigo. Probably best not to mix the two beforehand; the hot sauce would evaporate off. Then there was the matter of actually getting the stuff into the creature's mouth. Bringing the jars in close enough to dump them down the thing's mouth would be a good way to lose a hand. Hopefully shooting it a bunch would cause enough pain for it to not fight back too much.

There was another thing. Thomas went over to his bag and grabbed his video camera. It was one of the extra tough ones they gave to war correspondents and storm chasers. Thomas had gotten such a camera because he accidentally dropped his previous one down an elevator shaft, with predictable results. He smiled slightly as he remembered all the work he had to do to get his hands on it. Thomas was also intending on filming the trapping of the wendigo. In case everything went wrong, his camera would have a better chance of surviving than Mark's.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Stanley impulsively checks the chamber of his Marlin again. Just in case, you know?

"All right, Thomas. How do you think we deliver this?"

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas speaks, with uncertainty in his voice, "Well, it says to start a fire in its belly, so I guess we've got to feed it the stuff somehow. So, I'm guessing you and Nick shoot the poo poo out of it until it can't fight back and I dump it in its mouth. Aaaaand, hopefully I won't lose a hand."

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Stanley noticeably pauses, his mouth half-open.

"Uhh.....wow. This might be the stupidest thing we've done all night. Buuuuut I don't see many other options. All right, get into position."

Stanley is taking the largest table in the room, dragging it until it's 1 yard from the wall to the right of the door (looking in from the front door), and turning it over to hide behind it; won't protect against much, but it'll at least keep him out of view. He's going to quickly pour the blood into the center of the circle when it's time and then run and duck behind the table, putting his earplugs in and clicking the safety off on his gun. It's gonna get loud.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nick Currier - Cabin Main Room

Nick carefully loads his shotgun, chambering a round and topping off the tube, shaking his head at the thought of the task before them. "Maybe once it's shot up we could wedge something in it's mouth? It's hardly the most ridiculous idea we've had tonight."

He slings his shotgun over his shoulder, and then places his Enfield behind the table.

Loading the shotgun with 5+1 slugs

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas set up his camera, making sure to get a different angle than Mark's. After he was done, he carefully picked up the jars of hot sauce and molten lead and joined the others behind the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

The Cabin

The table is moved from in front of the barricade, the circle is drawn, the blood is poured out. Thomas keeps a tenuous grasp on the jar of still molten lead with his multitool, the radiating heat keeping his hand uncomfortable warm. Mark continues to man his camera right on the edge of the circle, while Nick keeps his shotgun ready to make the wendigo 6 ounces heavier(via the high velocity addition of lead to the beast's body).

Nothing happens. The waiting seems to stretch on forever, while a look at a watch will show it's only been a few minutes. Then without warning, the wendigo smashes through the door, sending slivers of wood flying.

A single step is enough to catch it in the circle. A second step leaves both of it's feet inside the orchre trap. The third step results in a bang as the monster stops dead, smashing into what seems to be an invisible wall with enough force to throw it back into wall behind it. Standing back up it screams. The noise doesn't even bring on a wave of anything more than vague unease for some reason.

It stands still in the circle, glaring at Mark, who stands just out of reach with his camera, growling.

• Locked thread
«8 »