Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas Brandt - Cabin Bedroom

Thomas grabs his lantern and gets behind Stanley. "Ready when you are, I guess."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley Zubizaretta - Cabin Bedroom

Stanley nods. "All right. Here we go." And he begins to descend down the staircase, rifle ahead of him and with the flashlight blazing.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The Cellar

Stanley descends down the the staircase, into the gloom of the cellar. The cone of light from his flashlight mostly illuminates shelving, and walls made of stacked stones. Roots grow between the stones, and it's obvious to even the more untrained eye that there's been more than one attempt at mortaring the stones together.

The real eye opener is none of these. It's the chewed pile of bones by a hole in the north-east corner of the cellar. A human skull lays on it's side by the pile. The hole extends out past the flashlight's beam, heading steadily downwards at a steep slope.

Page 5! everyone's luck refreshes, and 3 character points for all!

Make a note of what light sources you're using everybody, just so I can keep track. It's pitch-loving-black in the cellar aside from your own flashlights and such.

No worries Beardless, I'm recovering from a wedding, and the wendigo killing is more dependant on you guys anyways.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley Zubizaretta - The Cellar

Back from Metrocon and ready to get back to it! Stanley is using a TL8 survival flashlight taped under his gun, so it points wherever he aims. 1 yard beam, gives 6 minutes of light from 30 seconds of shaking to power it.

Stanley sweeps the gun across the cellar, letting his narrow beam illuminate what it can as Nick's headlamp blazes wherever he looks and Thomas's lantern provides a steady glow behind them. He coughs slightly as they enter the musty, thick atmosphere.

When he sees the skull, he rapidly backpedals three or four steps backwards. "Jesus, poo poo!" he exclaims.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas Brandt - The Cellar

Thomas hisses, "Quiet! You want it to loving hear us?" Thomas was unnerved by the bones, yes, but they paled in comparison to what he saw earlier. He set the lantern down on the floor as requested by Stanley and went to look through the cans and jars on the shelving, clutching his frying pan tightly. Maybe there was something that could be of use.

For light, Thomas is using a small electric lantern, which has a 3 yard radius. Anyway, he's going to look through the shelves! Again, no points in search, so I default to 7.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley Zubizaretta

Updating my character sheet on page one now that I have 6 points to spend (including the 3 left over from character creation). Spending 2 points for Search 10, 1 point on Night Vision 1, and 2 points on Electronics Repair (Media) 10. He has 1 point remaining.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 15, 2014

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Nick Currier

As Nick follows Tom and Stan into the cellar, he is hit by both a profound sense of relief, and of foreboding. Whatever it was that they were dealing with wasn't down there in the room with them, but it clearly had been at on time. He takes a deep breath at the sight of the bones, forcing down and exclamation, and walks rigidly over to them. He had seen bones before, he knew what bears and wolves could do. He ignored the skull, and looked at the rest of the remains. If you didn't look at the pelvis too closely, if you ignored the hands, they could almost be from an animal...

Nick has a mini-flashlight configured as a headlamp, with a 5-yard beam. Nick is going to look at the bones, specifically he's looking at the toothmarks, and he's going to try and extrapolate what they're looking at based on that. Per 12, Naturalist 11, and Survival (Woodlands and Arctic) 12 could all be relevant.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"poo poo, sorry, sorry," Stanley whispers. He aims the light at the hole, keeping it as lit as possible, and carefully backs toward the jars. "What do we got, Thomas?"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

Gathering his wits about him, Mark ignores the others as they go into the basement. If this was a prank, it would be well prepared. If it wasn't... well, this had to be a prank. So how could he prove it? Looking out the window, Mark had his answer. The body. It was really hard to make a fake body that passed close examination. Sure, it'd hold up when people panicked or when visibility was low, like near a fire in the dark, but up close?

Grinning, the young scene designer grabbed a camera from one of the bags that had been brought inside, and pulled his flashlight out of his pocket. Let the others be scared, he would prove this was fake. He just needed to find a way out of the cabin...

Mark is either going to go out a window, if he can make them open enough to get out, or he is going to start removing the barricade from the door.

Sorry for not posting much, been trying to figure out how to get the unarmed and terrified sceptic involved in this. And now I have an idea, and the others too busy to stop him! Holding onto my CP in case I need to use them to survive.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The Cellar

Thomas's search of the shelves proves to be pointless. The labels on the cans have long since rotted away, and several of them are bulging or leaking. It's much the same story with that jars, no labels and the contents are far from identifiable. Some might have been full of vegetables at one point, but now they're just brown ooze.

Nick takes time to examine the bones, calling on years of experience with Canadian wildlife. Most of the bones have been damaged by multiple sources, something that caused cuts that left the marrow exposed, and what appears to be bite marks from dozens of extremely sharp teeth that scored the surface. None display any signs of being cooked. They're also very much human, and one long bone(a tibia maybe? Nick can't recall if that's what it's called) is stained. He's seen the staining before, in bones where animals that were being eaten alive.

Cabin Bedroom

While the others are searching down below, Mark pulls one of the benches away from the window. It's a simple swing-out affair, so it was easy to squeeze through. The rain is still coming down, and the visibility is almost nothing.

FireSight, you're just outside the bedroom, east side, by the road in.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Crap, nothing," Stanley mutters at the cans.

He walks over to Nick, survival light blazing. It should be good for at least another few minutes before he needed to vigorously shake his rifle to recharge it. "All right, you're the outdoorsman. What can you tell me?"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

Turning the camera on, Mark checks to make sure it is recording before putting it to his face with one hand, and his other hand playing the flashlight across the path in front of him. He remembered where he saw Rowdowser standing, all he had to do was get over there and show how fake it was. Then he could get a good nights sleep. Although that would mean having to deal with Rowdowser again, since the car needed a new tire.

Mark makes his way towards where he last saw the figure of Rowsdower, video camera ready

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Nick Currier - The Cellar

Nick doesn't respond at first, his mind going over what he was thinking. Then he stands up, and points his shotgun towards the hole before replying. "It doesn't look like wolf or bear teeth marks. Whatever it was had pretty strong jaws, it was able to crack open the bones and get to the marrow. And some of the bones show signs that the person was eaten alive, though that's not exactly uncommon in nature. I know wolves will sometimes start eating deer while they're still alive." Nick sighs heavily, and he shrugs. "I don't like this at all. How did this tunnel get here?" He walks closer to the tunnel, peering down it, and then examines the entrance.

Per 12, looking at the tunnel. Looking to see how big it is, if it was dug by a shovel or by claws, and if he can see any supports. Nick is not going to enter the tunnel, just stand near the entrance.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas backed away from the cans. "drat, nothing useful." Thomas tried to think of where else he could get a whole handful of wendigo hair that wasn't directly from a wendigo. He drew a blank. He whispered, "Hey, uh, Stanley. What should we do now?"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley sits on the dirt floor, not caring about messing up his camo pants. "Uhh, I ain't exactly team leader here," he says. "Honestly, I'm kinda at a loss. I don't know if we're really ready for this."

He sighs and looks around the cellar. And then becomes acutely aware that someone is missing.

"Mark said he was grabbing his camera. Where is he?"

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Outside

Mark makes his way between the cars, the pounding rain and thunder rolling in the distance keeping him from hearing most small sounds. As he comes around Rowsdower's SUV, he get the first sight of Rowsdower, only a few feet away. The man was torn open, his insides very much on the outside, spilling out into the mud. Worse yet is what is crouching above him.

The Wendigo the others were talking about.

The beast is arm deep in Rowsdower, cutting out chunks with claws that are easily 16 inches long, wielded like butchers knives. Bloody bits of what might have been Rowsdower's liver go from the tips of the talons to the tangled mouthful of needle like teeth. As it brings a particularly large chunk up to it's mouth, it sees Mark, and stands, dropping the chunk of flesh back into the open body.

The goddamned thing is 9 feet tall.

FireSight: Mark is panicked, feeling full on mind numbing terror. For the next minute he's going to be running away, screaming, crying, gibbering madly, whatever you would like. This is full on pants-making GBS threads, mind blowing horror. Tellbot must hate you, because a single point lower would have given you a -10 point delusion

On the other hand, you got it on camera

The Cellar

Nick's look down the tunnel shows that it was dug out by neither claw or shovel. It's natural. A few dozen feet down, it continues on into solid rock. Nicks and marks along the stone do show that something has widened it out near the entrance though. Barely visible in the flashlight's beam is some red-brown staining on the rock.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas shrugs. "He's probably still up above. I could go check on him. Will you guys be okay without the lantern?" Thomas is getting kinda worried about Mark, especially since he's not with everyone else. That sorta thing always ends up with someone dead in the movies.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Yeah, go ahead," Stanley says. "Nick, I'm going to stay back up in the cabin while Thomas is outside. I'm really not comfortable staying down here."

Stanley decides that he'll just follow behind Thomas when he leaves, and stay in the bedroom by the trap door.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

It was the foul smell and squishy feeling in his pants that brought Mark back to reality. Where was he. He was on the ground, and oww, he had something right above his head. The ground under his face and arms was slimy. Mud? It was too dark to see anything. Where did his flashlight go? He could feel a camera strapped to his left hand, that should have a light on it... Oh, hey, that was a tire. He was under a car? Why was he under a car? In the mud no less? He hadn't been hit, right? The engine wasn't running or hot, he didn't feel like he had been hit. What...

Oh. Oh. OH! poo poo.

"Guys? GUYS?! HELP ME! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, HELP ME! THE MONSTER IS REAL!"

He could only hope that his voice could be heard over the rain, and that the monster wouldn't be smart enough to drag him out from under the truck. If the one tire hadn't been flat, it would have been easy to reach under...

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 21, 2014

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nick Currier

Nick sighs and shakes his head. "Yeah, I'd be much more comfortable if we're all together. Nick keeps his headlamp, and his shotgun, pointed towards the tunnel entrance while the others go up the ladder, and then follows them as quickly as possible back into the bedroom above.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas Brandt - Cabin Cellar

Thomas nods in agreement, "Yeah, we need to be on the Buddy System until we're sure we're safe." Thomas follows Nick and Stanley back upstairs and closes the trapdoor behind him. There will be time to explore the passage after they find Mark.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Outside

Mark hears terrible gravelly laughter, before horrid voice speaks.

"Hiding will not help you, coward. I will enjoy your screams."

Gravel crunches, and the beast walks away, dragging the corpse with it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley Zubizaretta - Cabin Main Room

Stanley comes up and out of the cellar and walks right into the main room of the cabin. His flashlight burns away the darkness, zipping over every wall and every square inch of the floor. Mark's not there.

"Mark?" he calls out.

Then his light passes over the window. The window is open, the barricade pushed away from it.

"....oh no."

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nick Currier Cabin main bedroom

Nick looks at the window, and then sprints to the door in the bedroom. He motions to Stanley, and opens the door a fraction. Peering out into the rain, he calls softly. "Mark? You out there?"

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas Brandt - Cabin Main Room

Thomas peers out the window, looking for Mark. He shouldn't have gone too far. "Hey, uh, guys? Do you think we should go look for him? He should still be close by."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley runs to the open window, shining his light out into the darkness. Droplets of rain shower past his beam as it sweeps the muddy ground. Can he see anything?

"Mark!" he calls out the window. "Mark!"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

"Under here..."

Marks voice is barely more than a whisper coming from the direction of the truck.

"I... I got it on the camera..."

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Just a warning, I might be phone posting for a bit. My internet is down for some reason. I'm trying to find out why right now, but for all I know my ISP might have disconnected the wrong damned address again.

Also I'm waiting to see what you guys are doing, in case that wasn't apparent.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley can't hear a thing. The storm is still raging around him.

"Mark!" he shouts again. Taking a chance, he clambers out the window, rifle held in one hand, and then quick shoulders it and begins sweeping the light through the darkness. He aims it toward the vehicles, hoping to catch a glimpse of anything. Can his light even reach that far through the rain?

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nick Currier

Nick looks over his shoulder in time to see Stanley vanish out the window, and muffling a curse he slips out of the door and moves around the corner of the house. "Stan, it's nick, I'm right behind you." He looks from side to side, and then behind himself, shining the beam of his headlamp through the rain and trees.

Per 12 to try and avoid having the Wendigo sneak up on us.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Adding on that I have Perception 10 and Night Vision 1 to aid in this.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas Brandt - Cabin Main Room

Thomas follows Stanley out the window, hoping his lantern will be of help in locating Mark.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Everyone can see just fine. Visibility is limited by the dark and the rain, but you can readily make out anything within a few yards. My apologies for the lack of posting recently everyone.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley Zubizaretta - Outside

Stanley holds a hand over his head, the rifle loosely held against his shoulder as the beam blazes. How much longer does this thing even have in its battery? Can't be much. Gotta hurry.

"Which way do we go?!" he shouts over the rain.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 4, 2014

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

Gathering what shreds of courage he has, Mark begins wriggling his way out from under the car, doing his best to keep the camera out of the mud. It was the only proof he had that he, and his friends, weren't insane...

"I'm under here! The truck! Help me out before it comes back!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Stanley hears the shout, but just barely. He begins running toward where it came from: the vehicles. "Mark, we're coming!"

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Nick Currier

Nick darts forwards after Stanley, and motions for Thomas to follow them. When they reach the cars, he glaces around again, determined not to let anything sneak up on them.

Per 12 again.

Beardless fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 5, 2014

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Thomas Brandt - Outside the Cabin

Thomas nods and runs over to the cars with the intent of helping Mark up if he needs it.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

Scrambling out of the muck with the others help, Mark holds up the mud-splashed camera in one hand, an image of the wendingo frozen on it's screen. "I got it. I got it on camera. Oh god, it's real and I got it on camera. It spoke to me. It was... it was," unable to finish the sentence, Mark does his best to not look at what else was shown in the image, the human body that the beast was in the act of feasting on. "We have to get out of here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That's it, then. Any of Stanley's self-serving delusions that he tried to invent to push the thought of Rowsdower's demise out of his mind were gone. Right there on Mark's camera was undeniable, irrefutable proof. It was exactly what he saw, right down to the teeth. It was no bear.

They were being hunted by a loving wendigo.

And Stanley was angry.

"I'm not leaving. I don't know how many people this bastard has killed, but it ends tonight. I'm shooting that fucker right through the skull if I have to." He begins stomping toward the tent, going to get his duffle bag with the extra ammo and anything useful Rowsdower left in there.

• Locked thread