Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

Muted cussing comes from the bed of the beat-up truck, where Mark had gone as soon as the vehicle had stopped.

Quebecoise: "God damnit, I thought I re-tied this poo poo at the last stop! The beer is leaking on... oh, no, that's just the ice. Did I not plug up the cooler? Damnit, there goes half our ice, we will need to pick up more..."

The slender looking man comes around the side of the car with a large blue and white cooler in his hands, a stream of water trailing out the side as he strains to bring the weighty object up to the cabin steps, speaking in a strained, and slightly accented voice.

"Is the cabin intact enough that we can store the foodstuffs inside, or do I need to improvise a bear locker of some kind? I don't think I remembered to pack rope..."

quote:

Name: Mark Morcott
Race: Human

Attributes [60]
ST 11 [10]
DX 10
IQ 12 [40]
HT 11 [10]

HP 11
Will 12
Per 12
FP 11

Basic Lift 24
Damage 1d-1/1d+1

Basic Speed 5.25
Basic Move 5

Ground Move 5
Water Move 1

Social Background
TL: 8 [0]
Cultural Familiarities:
Languages: English (Accented/Literate) [4]; Quebecois French (Native/Native) [0].

Advantages [9]
Fit [5]
Luck [0]

Disadvantages [-5]
Selfless (12 or less) [-5]

Quirks [-2]
Dreamer [-1]
Imaginative [-1]

Skills [38]
Architecture/TL8 IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1]
Artist (Scene Design) IQ/H - IQ+0 12 [4]
Boating/TL8 (Unpowered) DX/A - DX+0 10 [2]
Bow DX/A - DX+1 11 [4]
Carousing HT/E - HT+2 13 [4]
Computer Operation/TL8 IQ/E - IQ+1 13 [2]
Diplomacy IQ/H - IQ-2 10 [1]
Electronics Operation/TL8 (Media) IQ/A - IQ+0 12 [2]
Fast-Talk IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1]
First Aid/TL8 (Human) IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Fishing Per/E - Per+0 12 [1]
Hidden Lore (Spirits) IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1]
Housekeeping IQ/E - IQ+0 12 [1]
Mathematics/TL8 (Pure) IQ/H - IQ-2 10 [1]
Photography/TL8 IQ/A - IQ+1 13 [4]
Research/TL8 IQ/A - IQ-1 11 [1]
Running HT/A - HT+0 11 [2]
Survival (Arctic) Per/A - Per-1 11 [1]
Survival (Mountain) Per/A - Per-1 11 [1]
Survival (Plains) Per/A - Per-1 11 [1]
Survival (Woodlands) Per/A - Per-1 11 [1]
Swimming HT/E - HT+0 11 [1]

Stats [60] Ads [9] Disads [-5] Quirks [-2] Skills [38] = Total [100]

Hand Weapons

Ranged Weapons

Armor & Possessions
1 Batteries $1 Wgt:0 Location:
1 Binoculars $400 Wgt:2 Location:
1 Camera, 35mm $50 Wgt:3 Location:
1 Camp Stove, Small $50 Wgt:2 Location:
1 Cell Phone $250 Wgt:.25 Location:
1 Compass $50 Wgt:0 Location:
1 Computer, Laptop $1500 Wgt:3 Location:
1 Film, 35mm $10 Wgt:0 Location:
1 First Aid Kit $50 Wgt:2 Location:
1 Fishhooks & Line $50 Wgt:0 Location:
1 Flashlight, Heavy $20 Wgt:1 Location:
1 Mini-Recorder, Digital $30 Wgt:.5 Location:
1 Ordinary Clothes $120 Wgt:2 Location:
1 Reinforced Boots $75 Wgt:3 Location:feet
1 Saw $150 Wgt:3 Location:
1 Sleeping Bag, Insulated $100 Wgt:15 Location:
1 Tent, 2-Man $80 Wgt:12 Location:
1 Thermos Bottle $10 Wgt:2 Location:
1 Winter Clothes $180 Wgt:4 Location:
1 Wristwatch $20 Wgt:0 Location:

Additional Stuff

booze - $100
An ounce of BC Bud - $100
Acid (10 tabs of good stuff) - $100
Cooler full of bacon, eggs, cheese and other edibles - $300

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott
Inside the Cabin

After shuttling the edible (and possibly bear attracting) supplies into the cabin, Mark takes a few minutes to tour the cabin, poking his head into every room, before finally making his way back to the entrance with a scowl.

"Aargh. I knew the professor said he had not been out here in some time, but this is ridiculous. It is as if it has not been cleaned in years! Dust everywhere! I can almost smell the mildew! I am sleeping in my tent until we can spend some time cleaning this place out, otherwise who knows what kind of insect bites and allergies I will wake up with."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott
In the entrance

"Look, either he owns all of this, or someone is storing stuff illegally. Either way, stop playing with his stuff. Is anyone else camping outside, or are you all sleeping in here with the dust? Because I really do not want to spend time cleaning this place. We only have a week, so we need to get a plan and scout out locations to shoot footage while we have light."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

"Ok, I know you think this is an adventure and that you are some kind of hotshot investigator, but while we are filming a short movie, this is not actually a movie. If you think this is blood, and you found weapons here, I think this be time to call the police. Err, is time to call the police. Whatever. So, should I be pulling my phone out, or is this some kind of prank you prepared for us?"

Mark stands in the doorway, glaring unhappily at the heavily armed Rowsdower and the jars in front of him. His cellphone is in his hand, screen blank.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

Shaking his head, Mark sighs and gives Nick a look and a wave of his head, indicating that Mark would like to speak to his friend outside.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

Nodding his head in agreement, Mark lowers his voice to a whisper as he leans in towards Nick. "Look, I knew at the start that Rowsdower did not like me, that he does not like anyone whose first language is not english, but he had to be in someones group and nobody else would take him, but... he is scaring me. I do not feel safe here Nick. I know this will mess up our project, I will talk to the professor about it, but that man is acting crazy and I am having serious concerns over him doing something crazy like... killing me and hiding my body! Can you drive me back into town? I will pay for gas, pay for a room for the night... once I am in town I can make my own way back to the school, I just cannot stay here."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

"Yeah... go ahead. It's your car and this is... ugh. First he acts all creepy, then he tries to threaten me with calling Professor Jackson to try and make me stay... Something is wrong with that mans head."

Mark leans against the door of the truck and looks down.

"This probably will tank my grade, we are supposed to learn to work with people who have all sorts of odd personalities, but... were we being paid for this, I would have just resigned on the spot."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

Sitting in his seat, Mark stares out the windshield and into the rain, eyes dilated all the way from the sudden rush of adrenaline. "That... that was the tire, right? And now it is raining... This day just can't get any better, can it?"

The young setting designer lets loose with a massive sigh as he reaches into his pocket and pulls out his cellphone.

"Well, let me see if we get any signal. It will take, what, only two or three hours for a tow truck to reach us, right?"

Trying to call for roadside assistance! Does Mark get a signal?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

After trying unsuccessfully to get roadside assistance on the line for five minutes, and getting disconnected fifteen times in a row, Mark finally gives up and tries to find his rain gear in the back seat. The car being jacked up on the right side didn't help, and trying to get past the stick shift so he could get out the drivers side door was worse.

Still, he was standing in the rain, holding a flashlight for Nick, when the spare tire was put in place and the jack was removed. And even to Marks eyes, something was painfully obvious.

"Uh... Nick. Will the rear tire hold? The road is rough, and between the rear tire and your spare and the rain and dark... maybe we should find a place where we can wait for morning?"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

"Oh god damnit, the tire blows and we get a flat and now we come back and Rowsdower is sulking out in the dark in the rain. As if he wasn't creepy enough. Look, I'm just going to duck inside and go to sleep, I don't want to talk to him."

Barely waiting for the truck to come to a stop, Mark opens the vehicle door and makes a dash for the cabin door, backpack of stuff in his hand.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

"Guys? Why is the door blocked? What did Rowsdower do? Oh god." It only took a moment for the mental math to finish, Mark reaching the logical conclusion that Thomas and Stanley had blocked the door so that Rowsdower was unable come in. And with the thunderstorm going on, and neither of them seeming to be the type of assholes to play cruel pranks (especially on heavily armed men with anger issues), meant that some serious poo poo must have gone down. "Criss, what in Gods name did he do?!" His head turns to the side so that he can look at Rowsdower out of the corner of his eye, suddenly scared to have his back facing the Quebecois-hating gun-nut.

Criss* - "Christ" in Quebecois-french

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

"A what? What in Criss is a 'Whendigo'? And why would it kill someone? Bears and wolves I know, people I know, even a moose can kill someone, but we don't have any other giant predators around... right?" The adrenaline just won't stop pumping through his veins, magnifying his fear and making his mind leap from point to point. What did this? What was it? Did it go away? Was it still there?

"Why did you block the door? Is it still out there? Did it try to get in?"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

"Damnit, isn't there a phone in this cabin? Do any of you have a signal?" Mark's phone is already in his hand as he tries to get through to emergency services. If he can connect at all, they should be able to eventually find out where he called from and send help... hopefully.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

Unarmed and unnerved, Mark silently sits in the corner of the room as his friends prepare to confront the source of the noise. The past few hours had gone from nightmarish to surreal. This couldn't really be happening, could it? They were just supposed to film horror movies, not take part in a real one.

"Guys... could... could Rowdowser be part of another movie team? One deciding to scare the hell out of us for their own filming? That would explain it, right? All this poo poo that happened? Rowsdower isn't really dead, he was just prepared to fake his..."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

"Oh god. There is nothing there, right?"

The slim photographer finally stands up in the corner, the lack of any sign of a monster finally breaking him free from the panic he had been in. "Just... a trapdoor? Ok, ok. I think... I think our professor set us up. Look for cameras, I bet Rowsdower is in on this whole thing. Let me... let me grab my camera. I want to record this. We will probably look back at this and laugh, later."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

Gathering his wits about him, Mark ignores the others as they go into the basement. If this was a prank, it would be well prepared. If it wasn't... well, this had to be a prank. So how could he prove it? Looking out the window, Mark had his answer. The body. It was really hard to make a fake body that passed close examination. Sure, it'd hold up when people panicked or when visibility was low, like near a fire in the dark, but up close?

Grinning, the young scene designer grabbed a camera from one of the bags that had been brought inside, and pulled his flashlight out of his pocket. Let the others be scared, he would prove this was fake. He just needed to find a way out of the cabin...

Mark is either going to go out a window, if he can make them open enough to get out, or he is going to start removing the barricade from the door.

Sorry for not posting much, been trying to figure out how to get the unarmed and terrified sceptic involved in this. And now I have an idea, and the others too busy to stop him! Holding onto my CP in case I need to use them to survive.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

Turning the camera on, Mark checks to make sure it is recording before putting it to his face with one hand, and his other hand playing the flashlight across the path in front of him. He remembered where he saw Rowdowser standing, all he had to do was get over there and show how fake it was. Then he could get a good nights sleep. Although that would mean having to deal with Rowdowser again, since the car needed a new tire.

Mark makes his way towards where he last saw the figure of Rowsdower, video camera ready

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

It was the foul smell and squishy feeling in his pants that brought Mark back to reality. Where was he. He was on the ground, and oww, he had something right above his head. The ground under his face and arms was slimy. Mud? It was too dark to see anything. Where did his flashlight go? He could feel a camera strapped to his left hand, that should have a light on it... Oh, hey, that was a tire. He was under a car? Why was he under a car? In the mud no less? He hadn't been hit, right? The engine wasn't running or hot, he didn't feel like he had been hit. What...

Oh. Oh. OH! poo poo.

"Guys? GUYS?! HELP ME! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, HELP ME! THE MONSTER IS REAL!"

He could only hope that his voice could be heard over the rain, and that the monster wouldn't be smart enough to drag him out from under the truck. If the one tire hadn't been flat, it would have been easy to reach under...

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 21, 2014

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

"Under here..."

Marks voice is barely more than a whisper coming from the direction of the truck.

"I... I got it on the camera..."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

Gathering what shreds of courage he has, Mark begins wriggling his way out from under the car, doing his best to keep the camera out of the mud. It was the only proof he had that he, and his friends, weren't insane...

"I'm under here! The truck! Help me out before it comes back!"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

Scrambling out of the muck with the others help, Mark holds up the mud-splashed camera in one hand, an image of the wendingo frozen on it's screen. "I got it. I got it on camera. Oh god, it's real and I got it on camera. It spoke to me. It was... it was," unable to finish the sentence, Mark does his best to not look at what else was shown in the image, the human body that the beast was in the act of feasting on. "We have to get out of here."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

Mark is only half paying attention inside the cabin, as the others unload the small armory that was Rowdowsers gear. His attention was focused on the video camera that was in front of him, now wiped clean of mud. He played the video, let it run for a minute, and then restarted it from the begining. Then again. And again.

"Guys... you have got to watch this..."

Behind the camera screen, it all seemed so much more distant. So... less real. Not scary. Not some horrible evil. Just something out of a movie. That made it... easier to deal with. He knew it was real, his mind knew it was real, but now he could detach. Watch it from the aloof perspective of somebody who was used to critiquing films.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Mark Morcott

It took Mark a few minutes to make his decision, after the others made their way into the hole. Did he really want to go down into a hole where this monster apparently lived? If he didn't... did he really want to be alone in the cabin if the monster came back, without any weapons? Everyone else seemed to know how to use guns...

That last thought made his decision. It was better to stay near the armed people when something wants to kill you... despite what all the horror movies said.

"Wait for me!"

Moving into the basement area with everyone else. Sorry for a lack of posting, this somehow got unbookmarked and I didn't notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Sorry guys, going to drop. Trying to cut down the number of games I need to pay attention to before classes start.

• Locked thread