Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:SEASON PREMIERES: TUESDAY, JUNE 24 @ 10pm Est / 9pm Cst:frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren::frogsiren:

quote:

Tyrant is an upcoming American drama television series created by Israeli director, screenwriter, and writer Gideon Raff and developed by Howard Gordon and Craig Wright. A 10-episode first season has been ordered by the American cable network FX. The series will premiere on June 24, 2014. The pilot episode was written by Raff and directed by David Yates.

quote:

Bassam "Barry" Al Fayeed is from the fictional war-torn country of Baladi. He has been living in self-selected exile in Los Angeles for nearly 20 years. Barry, the younger son of Baladi's dictator, ends his exile to return with his American family to his homeland for his nephew's wedding. His arrival leads to a dramatic culture clash, as he reluctantly returns to the familial and national politics he once left.

Cast - list is incomplete, will improve once imdb gets better

Adam Rayner as Bassam "Barry" Al Fayeed, the second son of the dictator of Baladi. He has been in self-selected exile in Los Angeles, working as a pediatrician.

Jennifer Finnigan as Molly, Barry's American wife, with whom he has two teenage children

Anne Winters as Emma, one of the two teenaged children

Ashraf Barhom as Jamal Al Fayeed, Barry's older brother

Moran Atias as Leila, Jamal's wife

Justin Kirk as John Tucker, the U.S. diplomat to Baladi

FX has ordered 10 episodes for the first season @ 45m/hr.
  • Title: "Pilot", Air Date: June 24, 2014, Director: David Yates, Writer(s): Gideon Raff
  • Title: "State of Emergency", Air Date: July 1, 2014, Director: Michael Lehmann, Writer(s): Howard Gordon & Craig Wright
  • Air Date: July 8, 2014
  • Air Date: July 15, 2014
  • Air Date: July 22, 2014
  • Air Date: July 29, 2014
  • Air Date: August 5, 2014
  • Air Date: August 12, 2014
  • Air Date: August 19, 2014
  • Air Date: August 26, 2014

Trailers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GR3rk7lWaM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBfjA-oU7KE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I am skeptical this will be anything but a bad caricature of arab politics.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The only hope this show has is if it cuts out the stupid family political drama poo poo and make Barry a full on Uday Hussein character from the get go.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I was watching Archer or Transformers or something and there's this dude standing in the middle of a desert as the camera pans out, and then TYRANT. I had no idea what this was supposed to be for the longest time.

I like the concept, and am hopeful as I have not seen a bad show come out of FX yet, but there's still this overwhelming cynicism telling me that this show will drop the ball on accuracy/plausibility, or get mired in unwatchable family drama bullshit (especially with the teenage kids). I mean, if it's the latter, then American Dad already riffed this a decade ago.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

zVxTeflon posted:

The only hope this show has is if it cuts out the stupid family political drama poo poo and make Barry a full on Uday Hussein character from the get go.

*cut to a scene with royal kids mowing people down indiscriminately with AKs*

"Don't you kids have a Playstation?"

"Yeah, but the force feedback and graphics are better when we play this game."

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
This has all the makings of a show I'll probably really enjoy but will get zero ratings and die neglected and forgotten after one season (I still love you, Lights Out).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

First Bass posted:

I was watching Archer or Transformers or something and there's this dude standing in the middle of a desert as the camera pans out, and then TYRANT. I had no idea what this was supposed to be for the longest time.

Useless advertising is FX's thing right now.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

I really like Ashraf Barhom so I'll give this a watch with zero expectations.

Well other than the "it'll be a good show that gets cancelled really fast judging from the same naming motif as Kings and Kingpin" expectation.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Saw the teaser, went looking for more information. Really skeptical of a show about Southwest Asian politics developed by Israelis, starring a white guy playing a character named Barry. Maybe I'm wrong and that's all circumstantial. But if I was going to pitch a show for the average Fox News viewer AM radio listener, I might start with that list.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
This is going to be one of those shows that could be cool in concept but will be ruined by bullshit family drama.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
This looks riskier than Lights Out for F/X - literally a 1 season drama in its core conception

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I wish that they'd show an actual longer trailer, also Barry doesn't seem to have an accent.

Oh and thanks to this thread for steering me towards Lights Out. I've never heard of that.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

I wish that they'd show an actual longer trailer, also Barry doesn't seem to have an accent.

Barry's lived in America for twenty years as a doctor providing care to Americans' children. He's probably been working as hard as he could to kill his native accent.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I wonder if an ak or RPG is a better wedding gift

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

I wonder if an ak or RPG is a better wedding gift

Neither. Give a sex slave. That's the gift that keeps on giving.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Saw the teaser, went looking for more information. Really skeptical of a show about Southwest Asian politics developed by Israelis, starring a white guy playing a character named Barry. Maybe I'm wrong and that's all circumstantial. But if I was going to pitch a show for the average Fox News viewer AM radio listener, I might start with that list.

This. I'll watch a few episodes to see how it is but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Dead Snoopy posted:

This looks riskier than Lights Out for F/X - literally a 1 season drama in its core conception

I really liked Lights Out but it ended on just the right note. I don't see how they could have kept that show going past a second season.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Looks like its going to be even shittier than 24 and Homeland. Laughing at the fact that they couldn't even bring themselves to cast an arab for the lead role.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Everyone speaks perfect king's English, and that has to be the most annoying loving American family ever.

And Jamal is an rear end in a top hat, but more in the retarded cousin that visits every year way, not a really Hannibal Lector threatening way.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
holy poo poo i loved the premiere so much potential

jamal is awesome i hope he's not dead lol @ dick biting

bassam is an annoying beta bitch until that flashback :asoiaf:

lol at daughter being a tumblerite, only took 34 minutes to bring up the patriarchy

son is gay in an arab country with a new arab bf #woah

bassam's wife is hella annoying & super over-dramatic

next week will be good

GODDAMNIT POWERS

Iseeyouseemeseeyou fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 26, 2014

powers
Jul 26, 2005

The Maller is an Amarrian frigate, used by hotdroppers.

~SMcD

holy poo poo i loved the premiere so much potential

jamal is awesome i hope he's not dead lol @ dick biting

bassam is an annoying beta bitch until that flashback :asoiaf:

lol at daughter being a tumblerite, only took 34 minutes to bring up the patriarchy

son is gay in an arab country with a new arab bf #woah

bassam's wife is hella annoying & super over-dramatic

next week will be good

Yeah I'm officially onboard this hype train. So much potential.

If the brother is still alive and retains power, then Bassam is going to have to help him consildate his power base, convince the uncle General Tariq to not make a bid for power via coup de tas. Bassam is also going to have to lock down the americans and have to cut them off from trying to further destabilize any bids to "free the country". He's going to have to make good with his journalist pal and constantly de-escalate his idiot older brother. Let's not forget the terrorists basically will be mad as gently caress that a dual citizen american/whatevercountrytheyare will be next in line.

So poo poo/plot devices that they will have to deal with CIA(drone strikes possibly)/Terrorists/Idiot Brother/Journalists/pro-democracy types and all kinds of other fires to put out. Hopefully the older brother makes him head diplomat/state department guy. Lot's of potential

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

The parallels to Assad are pretty clear - Assad was a western educated doctor living in London who became the unintended heir to his father's dictatorship when his playboy older brother died crashing his sports car.

The country itself is a bit weird - apparently a Ba'athist republic but with the wealth of a Gulf kingdom.

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 26, 2014

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Good loving show. Holy poo poo.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

The country itself is a bit weird - apparently a Ba'athist republic but with the wealth of a Gulf kingdom.

And evidently it has beaches (according to the preppy frat boy-ish diplomat), so it isn't landlocked.

I also like how they didn't give Alice Krige a cheap tongue-in-cheek line ask how Bassam was "assimilating" back into his native culture, but there's still time. I also think the gay son trying to hook up with the security head's son is unnecessary as there's enough ~drama~ here as-is.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jun 26, 2014

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

The parallels to Assad are pretty clear - Assad was a western educated doctor living in London who became the unintended heir to his father's dictatorship when his playboy older brother died crashing his sports car.

Yeah, I described it to my mom as a show based on the Assad's of Syria, but if they ruled Kuwait or Qatar, as it seems fairly small geographically (based on what we've seen and heard). And I agree, I thought it was p strange how the diplomat was praising bassam's father by talking about the country having the 2nd highest per capita income. Is the country named? I don't remember hearing it named.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I thought this show was loving terrible and offensive.

Barry's wife is too stupid for words.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

HBO was bidding so hard for this show. And Ang Lee originally signed on as director. I'm sure both are relieved.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

The wive was just too much. I understand a wife pushing a husband to confront his father that was mean to him growing up. But she KNOWS who his father is. He's not a mob guy, operating in the shadows and hiding behind some legit curtain. He's a dictator of a Middle East country, known for violence and cruelty. Does she not understand this? "You should tell your mass-murdering father just how he made you feel when you were younger!" How tone-deaf can she be?

The daughter was the only family member to not annoy me. Jamal was almost too violent and psychopathic, it'll be hard to tone that down now.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Leon Einstein posted:

Barry's wife is too stupid for words.

Yeah, this. She singlehandedly put us off coming back for more when the season trailer went "Oh, she WON'T stop saying the dumbest thing".

Titan
Jan 14, 2002
I love this show.

I agree that the wife and (maybe) the son are going to be the weak links in the story.

I mean really, your husband is the 2nd son to a ruthless dictator who dies. The older brother is a maniac. There is no reason to NOT leave the country. Barry's 'I need to get the gently caress out of here ASAP' attitude was completely appropriate.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I agree with what you guys are saying, the wife is just too stupid.

I'm totes looking forward to the next ep though!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Titan posted:

I mean really, your husband is the 2nd son to a ruthless dictator who dies. The older brother is a maniac. There is no reason to NOT leave the country. Barry's 'I need to get the gently caress out of here ASAP' attitude was completely appropriate.

"Why did you hit our son?"

"Because there's a very real possibility that in less than 24 hours there will be a *CIVIL loving WAR* erupting in this country and we'll be competing with a few *hundred thousand* people trying to get on planes. I've already been told that at least *some* of the intelligentsia in this country view me as a better alternative to my older brother, which not only makes us all a juicier target for the insurgency, but for my psychopathic brother as well. *Our son* only gives a drat about staying in the ~gilded palace~ and getting a ride in my brother's Lambo at the moment, and either can't, doesn't, or *won't* appreciate the GRAVITY of the loving situation."

"But why'd you have to *hit* him, that's so NOT YOU!!!"

But what I don't understand is that obviously the whole family ends up staying, since the wife gets to keep on saying dumb stuff. The pilot came back and asked for HIM, not his family. So get off the plane and let your family go. But I'm sure it'll come down to the wife pulling the irrational WE HAVE TO STICK TOGETHER NOW MORE THAN EVER trope.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 26, 2014

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah I'll have to agree. The wife is either mind bogglingly dense or naive as hell. Did she not know that the country is controlled by an oppressive regime? How the gently caress can she miss the gravity of the situation they're in that much. The more I think about it the more I :psyboom:

Show definitely has potential though.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I am thinking of watching this now that Continuum and Orphan Black are done for the year. Should I push butan?

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
It was quite good and the concept is extremely interesting, however I'm really concerned that his family will end up so annoying that I won't be able to stand watching it anymore. I don't even understand why they felt the need to to give the protagonist an American family that almost certainly will detract from what is interesting with this show but maybe they will fix that by having terrorists blow them up and Barry going full Assad.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
99 times out of 100, children ruin TV shows.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Lord Tywin posted:

but maybe they will fix that by having terrorists blow them up and Barry going full Assad.

The name of the show is Tyrant. Let's hope that's the plan. If it does happen, it probably won't be until the end of the season.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
i really hope barry becomes the tyrant b/c that would be infinitely amusing w/ his daughter being all about smashing the patriarchy

powers
Jul 26, 2005

The Maller is an Amarrian frigate, used by hotdroppers.

~SMcD

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

It is shot in morocco and dubai, but reminds me more of Oman/Yemen and less of Syria.

i really hope barry becomes the tyrant b/c that would be infinitely amusing w/ his daughter being all about smashing the patriarchy

In order to be the man, you have to beat the man WOOOOOO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

The average person pays no attention whatsoever to international events so Molly's ignorance didn't seem too out of place. And Barry probably played some part in that too, trying to bury his head in the sand and forget about his country and anything going on there.

I loved the reveal of Barry being the ruthless brother. Kid doesn't give a gently caress.

This premiere loving owned and I can't wait to see more.

• Locked thread