Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Justin Kirk is slimy as gently caress, and it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

JohnSherman posted:

How exactly did Barry afford a boarding school if he ran away from home?

Grabbed a bunch of ugly gold poo poo on his way out?

It's probably not too hard to stash a couple hundred k in a secret bank account when you're a dictator's teenage son.

Wife seems a lot smarter this week.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the talent deficit posted:

Grabbed a bunch of ugly gold poo poo on his way out?

It's probably not too hard to stash a couple hundred k in a secret bank account when you're a dictator's teenage son.

Wife seems a lot smarter this week.

Seems weird she knew so much about other international conflicts but apparently was unaware her father-in-law's dictatorship was, in fact, a dictatorship.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Oh Jumping Jesus on a pogo stick....

"What's your problem with us being royalty?"

That kid is written worse than the wife. Pry sure that I am now hate watching this show now.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Tide posted:

That kid is written worse than the wife. Pry sure that I am now hate watching this show now.

Keep watching it. The only reason I keep watching it is because i'm hoping his entire family gets murdered and that's what causes him to become the name of the show.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

JohnSherman posted:

His brother came over for many visits apparently, so when he said he ran away he didn't mean it literally.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

JohnSherman posted:

Rich people running away and poor people running away are two vastly different concepts.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Gonz posted:

Keep watching it. The only reason I keep watching it is because i'm hoping his entire family gets murdered and that's what causes him to become the name of the show.

The wife wants to watch it so...that pretty much means I'll be watching it. Until I can make enough snide comments about the characters of the show and she gets mad and turns it off.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Seems weird she knew so much about other international conflicts but apparently was unaware her father-in-law's dictatorship was, in fact, a dictatorship.

I have a feeling the director was sick or something when the her dialogue for the pilot and episode 2 was written. It's the only rational explanation I can come up with.

VVVVVVVVVV: Anyone who thinks this show is bad should really take some time to catch up to season 2 of the Under the Dome. Now that's a bad show alright. :shepicide:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 16, 2014

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I don't hate this show, I don't even dislike it (I only have room to hate watch one show at a time and right now it is sons of anarchy). Not much to it, but then again I don't demand every show be breaking bad levels of quality. This on has an entertaining concept and it isn't bumping anything from my DVR.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Tide posted:

Even beyond the terrible writing for that character, the actor playing him has such a weird punchable face. Its terrible casting if we're actually supposed to like this character.

Gonz posted:

Same here. Besides the killing of the family being so satisfying in itself, the revenge oppression spree Barry went on would make for a much better show

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Xoidanor posted:

VVVVVVVVVV: Anyone who thinks this show is bad should really take some time to catch up to season 2 of the Under the Dome. Now that's a bad show alright. :shepicide:

Just because other shows are worse doesn't mean this one isn't bad. I think it's a bad show for a simple reason: Nobody on it is compelling. I have no reason to want to watch what happens to them, so I don't. I basically just check in here and other places so often to see if it picks up, because it is an FX show so maybe it will show quality at some point. For now though if the show disappeared from screens right this instant, I would say nothing of value was lost.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I feel like the daughter is probably the best written character on the show. She just perfectly embodies the insufferable Tumblrite/social justice warrior attitude, and it's fairly clever how they've done it. She clearly has no issue with living in a palace, being served breakfast by aides, and getting into a private club because of her family name. She only pipes up when she identifies problematic things in which she has no interest or control. Take her toothless ramblings about the patriarchy, her cousin's two McLarens, and an atrocity committed 20 years previously by her dead grandfather. It's as low effort as you can possibly get. More importantly, she is hilariously oblivious to the real world around her. She is living just miles away from a large protest of her uncle's government, in a country that disables internet access to its residents on a whim, and yet she thinks that her cousin's biggest concern should be the opinions of other low effort SJWs posting to Facebook from half a world away. It's laughable, and her cousin rightfully calls her out for ruining a good time with her bullshit. Honestly, none of it really matters to her, and everything she is doing is just about inflating her own ego and maintaining a false sense of moral superiority over her brother, who is understandably stoked by being so close to power.

e: Alternatively, she is just a poorly written moral compass, and will just be awful going forward.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 17, 2014

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
I really wish they gave her any sort of anything to do. So far the development is like 75% Barry and Jamal's Dictatorship Adventure, 15% being gay in a conservative country, 5% oppressed masses and 5% mother & daughter vs male egos.

JUICY HAMBUGAR fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 17, 2014

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Send the family home and this show becomes 10000000000% better

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
this show is so goddamn boring

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
When is the uncle catching a bullet?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Dead Snoopy posted:

i thought that was going to happen tonight after all the 'jamal must resign" comments

e: oops, you meant tariq

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I can't wait for the president to start beating on barry's wife. There's no way she's not going to have her poo poo handed to her at some point.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dead Snoopy posted:

When his own son try to avenge his raped wife's honor and basically makes Bassam the only heir/ruler possible.
Edit: unless you mean General Tariq?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
No kids this episode.

Also, I just love the way Jamal talks.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jamals wife is the hottest woman east of Israel... She a loving fox.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

The wife just reached super saiyan levels of idiocy this episode.

*Complains husband is taking too big a risk for regional freedom and prosperity*
*Ditches her security detail so she can meet at night, alone, the husband of the maid stealing drugs from the royal palace*

People were worried this was going to have an anti-Islam vibe going on and it turns out the whities are the most annoying pieces of poo poo imaginable.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

When his own son try to avenge his raped wife's honor and basically makes Bassam the only heir/ruler possible.
Edit: unless you mean General Tariq?

yeah, I meant General Tariq. He catches a bullet and Barry's job gets easier. Though after what's been accomplished you can just see the US getting it into their head that maybe they could have the CIA take out Jamal because Barry would be the perfect leader and align w/ US interests.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
the way i see it is tariq tries to kill barry, b/c jamal is a perfect puppet when barry isnt ~confusing~ him, but jamal sacrifices himself saving barry and then barry kills tariq. barry then be king tyrant

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Tariq kills Jamal in a botched military coup (they even hinted at a coup this week). Tariq and Barry struggle for control of the country.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I don't like those theories because they don't include Barry's family getting viciously murdered.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

savinhill posted:

I don't like those theories because they don't include Barry's family getting viciously murdered.

Why would you want to see that? They're not committing genocide or anything. Maybe you should go see a therapist.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Fateo McMurray posted:

Why would you want to see that? They're not committing genocide or anything. Maybe you should go see a therapist.

if there is anything this thread is ready to agree upon it is "hang the family"

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

savinhill posted:

I'm not against it, just saving it for the downfall of Barry's dictatorship in Season 7.

Molly escapes to Paris to write he memoirs, pursued by media and dies like Princess Diana.
Son outed as a homosexual, hung in the square.
Daughter smuggled out of the US via the embassy. Goes to college dorm room to find someone photo-bombed her room w/ pictures of slaughtered fictional peoples. 'Everybody Wants To Rule The World' plays repeatedly on her iPod.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Dunno why, but I enjoyed last episode more than others. I enjoyed watching Jamal put a bullet in that guy like an alpha.

I even found white wife not very irritating, but she hasn't bothered me much from the start.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yeah, this episode was a lot better, especially without the kids. It would be hilarious if they just completely wrote the kids off the show, and they're never mentioned again.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Fateo McMurray posted:

Yes, I have a bad case of I-wish-this-tv-show-was-better-and-I'm-making-jokes-syndrome, if I don't get help it could lead to me making more half-rear end snarky internet posts, maybe even creating a gimmick account at AVClub.

-Blackadder- posted:

Yeah, this episode was a lot better, especially without the kids. It would be hilarious if they just completely wrote the kids off the show, and they're never mentioned again.

They did that on Homeland last season, the teenage character was in the middle of a story arc and one episode had a scene where she was like "Mom, I'm leaving to go move in with this friend you've never met before, bye" before disappearing from the show.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I think they're going to have Molly start enjoying her power, kinda hinted at it this last episode (when she flashes her name at the ambulance driver after calling out Barry for getting off on his political shenanigans) to match Barry becoming the ~Tyrant~

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

This episode has the potential to be really good. Please don't screw it up show.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Jamal should have done that velociraptor screech he did in the mirror when the sheik mocked his quote.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I kind of just assumed they were foreshadowing that Jamal would have Bassam run for President instead but I can't say I was surprised by what happened.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I can't imagine how much more boring this show would be without Ashraf Barhom

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Maybe they did write off the kids.

Yeah, I though the sheik was going to endorse Barry or something like that, but this could be interesting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

The last 5 episodes felt like we were waiting for the other shoe to drop. They established Jamal as a psychopath then had him listening to calm reason for a long time. This was a pretty good shoe drop.

• Locked thread