Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Y'know, I couldn't quite place my finger on it before, but after watching the show's intro last night, it's like an Arabic version of the videotape from The Ring.

You watch it, and then seven days later, Barry's family shows up where you live and makes you contemplate suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I enjoyed last night's episode. Jamal is acting like the alpha he is, and I hope that Bassam comes out and acts similarly. I really want Tariq to die a gruesome death. I am sure a military coup is in the future,

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

The uncle reminds me of Strax from Doctor Who in always suggesting using violence to solve every problem.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Is Jamal's new galpal the American ambassador's wife?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha they've totally written the kids out of the show. This is great. :dance:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Xoidanor posted:

Haha they've totally written the kids out of the show. This is great. :dance:

I expect the son being gay will come up again (if just to be used to blackmail/hurt barry), and they'll probably get some more scenes, but yeah I'm satisfied with them being a minor issue.

That said the brothers basically deserves a palace coup at this point by Tariq, you don't repeatedly piss on the guy with all the guns.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I swear Jamal is like a character transported out of some other more interesting, better written show. He's just far and away more entertaining and complex than anyone else and it's awesome to have episodes that are pretty much entirely focused around him. It's really a shame about basically everyone else.

loosenukes
Feb 14, 2005

you don't put your best missile in your crummiest hole
Jamal is cool because he's like "gently caress it, I'm going to wear my black jumpsuit all the time now".

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I love how Jamal was all "gently caress it, can't beat me in an election if you're *dead* old man" and the preview reveals that the old man survived.

I was actually kind of hoping for the old man to choke to death and die in the bathroom and some controversy over Jamal being blamed for killing him in the bathroom, but that probably would have been to subtle.

Also, Moran Atias keeps reminding me of Monica Belluci when she talks. I cracked up at the delivery of "I'm so happy for the both of you."

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I completely caught up with the show -- I'm not quite sure why. Not seeing the kids for like three episodes was pretty great though.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I expected that Tariq was the one that bombed the barracks. I did not expect that it was also Tariq that gassed the sheik.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I guess being comically oblivious runs in Molly's family.

E: Yeah right Barry, like public intoxication laws apply to you.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 6, 2014

Paul Kersey
Oct 28, 2004

Does anybody else think Alexander Siddig would have been perfect as Barry?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
So now Barry's come around to murdering people and planning a coup against his brother?

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 6, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Paul Kersey posted:

He probably didn't want to water down his phenomenal performance in Syriana by bothering with this bullshit.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Paul Kersey posted:

He was too busy getting a sweet role on Game of Thrones.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
poo poo just got real.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm having impure thoughts about Jamal's wife, hot drat.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
I really like how the show developed, but why did they have to introduce "slutty, alternative, crazy sister-in-law"? I had hoped the first time we see the kids again is when uncle Tariq holds them hostage to prevent Bassam from making peace. I just fear that Jamal will go for her now that his whore/girlfriend (was she a whore? how did a blonde 20 something get into that country?) is dead.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

GaussianCopula posted:

I really like how the show developed, but why did they have to introduce "slutty, alternative, crazy sister-in-law"?

Can't wait to see how much trouble she gets in to! Maybe she'll become Jamal's In-Palace White gently caress Buddy! Oh the drama!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Why did he kill his whore/gently caress buddy/whatever? I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to figure that out. He was giving her that dumb necklace he made and asking her to go to the Maldives, then he killed her.

Also I hope new sister dies soon.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Why did he kill his whore/gently caress buddy/whatever? I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to figure that out. He was giving her that dumb necklace he made and asking her to go to the Maldives, then he killed her.

He changed his mind when he realized he had been bailed out.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Xoidanor posted:

He changed his mind when he realized he had been bailed out.

Couldn't he just have said "yeah nevermind no Maldives?" I guess that wouldn't have been tyranty enough.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Probably didn't want her around after her seeing him show weakness.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

GaussianCopula posted:

I really like how the show developed, but why did they have to introduce "slutty, alternative, crazy sister-in-law"?

The Middle East needed a lite version of Janice Soprano.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Also I hope new sister dies soon.

He told her he didn't want to be President and wanted her to run away with him. Which was fine until circumstances changed and he didn't have to go anywhere and holy poo poo this lady can't know these things I was thinking. Kill

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dead Snoopy posted:

The Middle East needed a lite version of Janice Soprano.
Considering her history with men, i guess she will be perfect for our dear president but yeah, it's an outcome i would find so funny.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

GaussianCopula posted:

She has a better agent than the kids' actors so they couldn't cut all her scenes?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
The sister-in-law could turn out alright, but of all the episodes that have aired so far, this seems like the worst one to bring in a new character. It's just strange to watch Barry go through this serious emotional turmoil only to have it tempered by the appearance of the resident family fuckup.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

It didn't help that the sister-in-law was introduced via the annoying kids returning whom we had all hoped had gone away

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Fateo McMurray posted:

He told her he didn't want to be President and wanted her to run away with him. Which was fine until circumstances changed and he didn't have to go anywhere and holy poo poo this lady can't know these things I was thinking. Kill

Well, she was still wearing his necklace from the last time he says he can remember being truly happy. By killing her while she was wearing the necklace, right after she talked about dreaming of being at the Maldives, he's trying to kill that memory.

Because Jamal is literally broken and insane, but he loves Bassam and firmly believed his speech at his dad's funeral ("without family, you are nothing").

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Yeah I'm completely checked out of this show. They're just cycling through meaningless bombshell revelations one after another without bothering to set them up to actually mean anything whatsoever. Oh your dad wasn't responsible for his biggest crime? Glad we gave that 10 minutes to digest between dumb sister in law drama and I'm really totes gonna betray my brother this time! drama.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

They're just trying to wrap up the whole show in the next few episodes

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

This show picked the perfect time to air when there is almost nothing else worth watching so I have all this free evening time now

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Has this been picked up for a second season? My roommates and I all enjoy watching it and laughing at the writing.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
"You can hide inside of me" :lol:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Has this been picked up for a second season? My roommates and I all enjoy watching it and laughing at the writing.
I can't get over Jamal's constant pausing, which is either deliberate to show him unfit/not prepared for his position or just for comedic effect. The only character I still like is the ambassador, who made me do a double take after I realized it was Andy from Weeds.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
This is the worst show I have ever seen

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

You must not watch much tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU