Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

SunAndSpring posted:

After 3 Souls games, it astonishes me to see people that don't lock on to fight enemies.

It's better to not lock on 99 percent of the time. Unless you're magicking or shooting arrows or whatnot. I'm actually surprised when I watch streams of DS2 and see people lock on for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

It's better to not lock on 99 percent of the time. Unless you're magicking or shooting arrows or whatnot. I'm actually surprised when I watch streams of DS2 and see people lock on for everything.

Depends on the weapon you're using; narrow thrusting weapons really need lock-on to be accurate with. Locking on is also good if you're just facing one enemy, and can still be useful for a group of enemies if they're coming from one direction, especially since in Dks2 you can free aim certain weapons even while locked on.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
I guess it is more difficult constantly moving the camera with the other stick but my brother who was a vet at the games (Dark Souls 2 was my first) told me to never lock on (2hand no shield guy) and it seemed way more natural.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Genocyber posted:

Depends on the weapon you're using; narrow thrusting weapons really need lock-on to be accurate with. Locking on is also good if you're just facing one enemy, and can still be useful for a group of enemies if they're coming from one direction, especially since in Dks2 you can free aim certain weapons even while locked on.

It can be useful when they are coming from different directions as well, being able to swing round super fast really helps in dealing with them.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Blood borne is a dumb name for a dark souls game. They should call it dark souls 3: hyper climax

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

big duck equals goose posted:

Blood borne is a dumb name for a dark souls game. They should call it dark souls 3: hyper climax

I know this is a joke, but I can't tell you how happy I am that this isn't Dark Souls 3. I like Dark Souls 2, and I'm excited about the DLC, but I can't help but feel a bit done with the game's lore for awhile. I'm sure DS3 is in the cards, it makes too much sense for Namco with how big it's gotten, but I'm glad this is a whole new world to explore and learn about.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I almost never lock on to enemies in Souls games unless its absolutely necessary.

Rinkles posted:

The entirety of the gameplay shown (50s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GCx2wW61aQ

That's some hot pre alpha ladder climbing action. Probably going to be rad but I'm kinda surprised they're showing it even a little that early.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

3 dark souls paid DLCs in 3 months? is there a german word for when something is both lovely and cool?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

From Twitter '@yosp: Miyazaki-san "If you remember the Tower of Latria level in Demon's Souls, that's the kind of atmosphere we want to create with Bloodborne."'

HNNNGGGGG

#TheHypeIsReal

Real hurthling! posted:

3 dark souls paid DLCs in 3 months? is there a german word for when something is both lovely and cool?

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about the DS2 DLC. I welcome more DS content but it feels so soon.

edit: Also, as much as I enjoy Dark Souls 2, there's still a lot of weird hitches and hitbox poo poo going on that I wish they'd address first.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 12, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Since the thing you're purchasing is just an access code - the content will actually be added in a compatability patch - I wouldn't be surprised if you can't easily unlock it yourself, just going by the pre-order DLC (it's just a text file).

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Genocyber posted:

Since the thing you're purchasing is just an access code - the content will actually be added in a compatability patch - I wouldn't be surprised if you can't easily unlock it yourself, just going by the pre-order DLC (it's just a text file).

360 :negative:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rip u (and me; ps3).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I guess it is more difficult constantly moving the camera with the other stick but my brother who was a vet at the games (Dark Souls 2 was my first) told me to never lock on (2hand no shield guy) and it seemed way more natural.

Yeah he's wrong. Lock on is really beneficial. It depends on what weapon you are using and what enemy you are fighting, but most of the time it doesn't hinder you. Its not meant to be a crutch for the player to rely on, just another tool at your disposal. I'm pretty sure the message system in DS 2 has phrases specifically saying to turn lock on/off.

A switch to faster paced combat could mean its less useful though, as the restrictions it places on your movement could be more troublesome.

VVV :rolleyes: No, he is wrong. If you play without lock on all the time you're handicapping yourself for no reason. I'm not sure why you think me having trouble with some random boss makes that not true.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 12, 2014

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
I mean he's not wrong because he and I both did and I've seen your posts in the DS2 thread and you called easy bosses hard.

It is easier a lot of times but I found it much more natural/fluid to move the camera while fighting enemies and bosses.

Genocyber posted:

Anyone who says either locking on or free aiming better is dumb. Each has situations where they're useful, and it's best to switch between them as needed.

I really just meant the way I played - sans shield, maces and slashing swords. I can see why you'd need to lock on for thrusting weapons and definitely for magic and arrows.

Lets! Get! Weird! fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 12, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone who says either locking on or free aiming better is dumb. Each has situations where they're useful, and it's best to switch between them as needed.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I really just meant the way I played - sans shield, maces and slashing swords. I can see why you'd need to lock on for thrusting weapons and definitely for magic and arrows.

I beat the game doing that too, lock on still helps.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I don't understand why you would purposefully avoid being able to circle strafe easily or being able to very quickly switch direction while retaining use of dodge etc.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Lock-on really only matters to me when I'm using a shield, really, because I want to be able to back away without turning my back. Other than that, yeah, it depends on what I'm fighting with what.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Stux posted:

I don't understand why you would purposefully avoid being able to circle strafe easily or being able to very quickly switch direction while retaining use of dodge etc.

Because most of the time it's best to bait an attack and then roll behind/past to attack them? I can't recall a single fight where locking on would've given me the same amount of free movement to fight an enemy.

Lotish posted:

You can do that fine with lock-on, though?

But then I gotta change who I'm locked on to though...if another enemy is around or something...

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You can do that fine with lock-on, though?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Because most of the time it's best to bait an attack and then roll behind/past to attack them? I can't recall a single fight where locking on would've given me the same amount of free movement to fight an enemy.

Most of the time it's best to run up and spam r1. Most enemies can't poise through even a single r1 of most weapons so you can just stunlock and kill them. Even fewer enemies if you have Stone Ring equipped.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I don't understand the "less emphasis on shields" thing. I haven't used a shield once in DS2 so far and I'm past lost sinner/into earthen peak. My most successful runs in DS1 were -25% equip load, weapon in one hand, sorcery in the other, too.

I guess this means Bloodborne is going to be Extremely My poo poo.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Under the vegetable posted:

I don't understand the "less emphasis on shields" thing. I haven't used a shield once in DS2 so far and I'm past lost sinner/into earthen peak. My most successful runs in DS1 were -25% equip load, weapon in one hand, sorcery in the other, too.

I guess this means Bloodborne is going to be Extremely My poo poo.

Because shields are still really good; as the game hands you a good one early on (Drangleic Shield) and doesn't really give you a reason not to use shields most of the time, most people turtle behind a shield for most of the game. With this game it looks like that would be disadvantageous in most cases, and will allow you to be swarmed.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Also, I know this isn't really the most on-topic thing, but I can't wait until From revives Armored Core again. I was such a mark for AC in the PSX era and I'd love to see what From could do with it now that they're apparently the most on-point developers in the game.

...Wait, apparently I missed some next-gen Miyazaki-directed AC games...? Neat.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

But then I gotta change who I'm locked on to though...if another enemy is around or something...

No, you don't need to change who you're locked onto to roll around or past them. It also auto corrects roll attacks to your target. There is literally no reason to avoid locking on like this, obviously there are situations where being unlocked are good but you aren't toggling a menu option of "ALWAYS LOCKED ON", you can just... not use it for those situations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I lock on 80% of the time because I find DS lock on system really comfortable. I frequently turn it off when I think it will be more effective though.

In actual BloodBorne related chat, I am really digging that it looks like they panned the camera in a little closer to the player character. I've always been a fan of a closer up view. It looks cool and creates for a more claustrophobic atmosphere. Another thing about this game that reminds me of RE4 (in a good way).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Its always been possible to play without a shield. Shields were EXTREMELY strong in Dark Souls though. Very few enemies had attacks that ignored shields, including the bosses. With a greatshield, you could negate nearly any attack and still have enough stamina to not be guard broken. Holding a great shield was not only a simple way to play the game but also the easiest.

In Dark Souls 2, this changed somewhat. Shields are still useful, but more enemies have attacks that ignore them or tank your stamina. There are less 100% physical block shields as well to discourage a new player from relying on them right from the start. The changes made to the dodging system make playing without a shield easier as well. A greatshield is still very useful, but nowhere near as game breaking as it was in Dark Souls.

So I'd guess when they say they are placing less emphasis on shields, they're going to be even more situational and less common. They probably won't be the first thing a new player tries to use. Hopefully this means shields will have some strategic use beyond just blocking.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I hope some/most of them are improvised style shields. like "maybe this trash can lid will last for a few strikes until i get to a more tactically advantageous position" type stuff.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Well I was gonna get a PS4 but bought a new microwave, slow cooker and whipper snipper instead....gonna have to get one now anyway :/

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

EC posted:

I know this is a joke, but I can't tell you how happy I am that this isn't Dark Souls 3. I like Dark Souls 2, and I'm excited about the DLC, but I can't help but feel a bit done with the game's lore for awhile.
I wouldn't mind a little in Bloodborne.

But besides that yeah.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

turtlecrunch posted:

I wouldn't mind a little in Bloodborne.

But besides that yeah.

If Chester becomes the new Patches I'm ok with that 100%.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's the description on Chester's armor? I've never killed him to find out.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

sector_corrector posted:

What's the description on Chester's armor? I've never killed him to find out.

Not much

quote:

Black leather long coat hat worn by Marvellous Chester,
a man of mystery lost in the past.

This exquisitely sewn aristocratic suit allows its wearer
to move in silence, lending well to stealth.

The other pieces have additional lines, but nothing really concrete lore wise.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Supposedly we know he's from Carim, but I can't recall just how that's confirmed.

It would be delicious if it turned out he was visiting Oolacile from Bloodborne, in some kind of split timeline thing, but given IP stuff with Sony anything that concrete is, obviously, unlikely

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
As I recall the only evidence that he is from Carim is that he uses a sniper crossbow which is "favored in Carim" or something like that. It's one of those completely-up-to-you things, rather than a real confirmation. He does say he was grabbed by a shadowy limb and dragged off to the past, like the player, though.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

It's you.

You. The MC from Bloodborne. You are Chester of Carim.

You're the fuckshit. :aaaaa:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
All of Dark Souls and Bloodbane take place in Neo Detroit.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013
If character customization and loot is true, I'm actually sort of bummed. Why would I ever get rid of that sweet dragoon cap? Or the shotgun/cleaver combo?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
So I can wear a bird mask like a plague doctor and rip up zombies with a chainsaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

turtlecrunch posted:

As I recall the only evidence that he is from Carim is that he uses a sniper crossbow which is "favored in Carim" or something like that. It's one of those completely-up-to-you things, rather than a real confirmation. He does say he was grabbed by a shadowy limb and dragged off to the past, like the player, though.

I always liked the idea that Chester is from well into the future given his clothing. More importantly, Bloodborne will let me dress like Chester 24/7 so it's already GOTYAY for me.

• Locked thread