Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
It can be hard to tell what's going on, even in a live game, unless you have a great blueprint memorized or a strong strategy- and like I said, those can be devastated by external forces such as biters, resource scarcity, and just attaching oil to your project at all.

I don't want to influence future development, but: I'm a little sad that Filthy Monkey built us a bus (central line that carries goods along a spine), since they are extremely efficient, expandable, great all around, and boring. I mean, I can't blame him at all since in a real game it's exactly the right choice, but you know.

I've been thinking of doing some streaming. Watch this space to see if I can get it to work in the next hour or so! I don't think I have the bandwidth at my current place :smith:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I wouldn't worry about efficiency too much. I am sure that with all of the different players, our base will turn into a mess soon enough.

AlliterateAnimal
Apr 1, 2010

Find me a drum that
I might live again!
Yeah, you have nothing to worry about. By the end of my turn all that hard work probably won't matter. :eng99:

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Personal Log: Technician 1st Class Hagop.

Star Date 342342.5

Immediately upon arrival at the preparation site for colony 54346B my centcom uplink informed me that that one of the perimeter defense turrets had gone down.

Inspection of the north west pillbox revealed that it had either been installed improperly or that maintenance had been very lax at this prep site. Also that the local wildlife was apparently both aggressive and dangerous.

After beginning repairs on the pillbox I noticed that I would need more ammo to get the new guns online. Hopefully whoever was stationed here before me got ammo production up before being transferred

Well, no problem with ammo, or auto turrets, or lord I hope the last guy just went nuts, and all this is not all necessary.

There, not precisely to standards but it should hold, now to check the rest.

By the time I had finished scanned the perimeter night had fallen. As I approached the prep site I could tell right away that something was very wrong. A quick scan of the powernet, revealed that despite having a 30 engine power station the site was having serious power issues.

The source of all the problems here could one be one thing HIPPIES!!!

The solar panels, a lack of water in the pipes, a SETI installation. This was without doubt the work of Space Hippies. I can’t see any bonfires or VW shuttles so they must have moved on. I can only hope that I can repair the damage before before we get too far behind schedule.

First off I need to get the power plant back online.

Even with 20 notes running at full power the plant can’t support the full load of the base. Luckily I know know where to apply budget cuts.

Finally a surplus of power, now to start expanding the the factory and get back to readying the site for colonization.

Upgrade red science production speed so that it can keep up with demands, done.

Start sulfur production, done.

Start sulfuric acid production, done.

Produce Batteries, DONE!

Now we need better inserters.

Blast the circuit factories can’t keep up.

Luckily we now have the technology to make them better.

The beast of progress must be fed, time to hook up the last 10 power generators

The power is stable once more and now to finish, odd the power plant smells like feet and burning ro...

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I love it. We'll have a respectable base in no time!

Lousy hippies :nixon:

Hagop
May 14, 2012

As a note I had not read any of the other post before playing the game.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
That's a good tack for a game such as this. My original vision was that updates would be hidden one game in advance (so the 2:00 player doesn't see 1:00, just the 0:00), but that makes for a kinda-slow-moving thread and isn't feasible to moderate. Perhaps I'll start a 'fully-blind' game next, wherein the players don't post updates at all until the game is complete. Might be good for a laugh.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of which, Deadmeat has asked for a ghost-write, so the save for the next turn is Here. Tonberrytony, you're up!

Turn 5 - Deadmeat5150
The following data log was automatically recorded by in-suit hardware, and reconstructed post-mortem.

These images are unedited. There appears to have been some data corruption during the recording.

Terraforming Engineer 000: ...burning roosters... need to get... blue science working...

TE000: ...so many guns... why so many...? Don't need...

TE000: ...engines... robots... flying friends...

TE000: ...making my way downtown... walking fast... home [unintelligible]

Audio engineers assured us that this part of the replay was utterly, hauntingly silent. No EVP detected. TE000 appears to be dragging an ammo belt out to one of the distant pillboxes.

TE000 continues to mumble incoherently. He appears to automate wall production, after tearing some walls down, and build some turrets, after tearing some turrets down. The agent has clearly become entirely disassociated at this point in the mission. Thorazine now mandatory on all terraforming pods.

TE000: ...plastics to beat the axis... that's what donald duck says...
The agent is observed to complete a small Advanced Circuit assembly. As this was completed competently, the equipment change noted above is hereby rescinded as it is no longer cost-effective.

The agent is observed fortifying outlying deposits for unknown reasons. He has sung "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" nearly one hundred times in a row, in a quiet, toneless mumble. Not the whole song, just the one lyric.

TE000: What happened? Where am I? How did I get here? These are the questions of the Starship Enterprise. Threshold was not a good episode.

TE000: Robots are part of a healthy factory.
The agent appeared to have been regaining his senses, but then transported the completed logistics robots to a roboport located far away from the base of operations.

The data corruption was quite severe, and is systemic. There are long stretches of records where it is difficult to determine what the agent is doing, how, and especially why they are doing it. After analysis, this appears to have been an issue with the suit's auto-recording feature. When the agent is manually recording, this problem will not occur. Future agents will be trained to continually hold the 'record' button 24/7 (including downtime, to make holding the button instinctive) to prevent this from happening again.

Fortunately for the project at hand, and the mission logs, the engineer appears to have regained his senses, somewhat, from this point onward.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 13, 2014

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
This looks very interesting and all, but as a man who does not own the game I have to say most of it is quite unintelligible. Could you run some primers, or maybe annotate the screenshots?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You certainly made more out of that muddled pile of horseshit than I could have. I had no idea the screenshots were so terrible when I sent the folder to you. :( I won't be using that program again, that's for sure.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Man this thread moves fast.
I only checked if I can load the save now. I will play my turn once I get home from work.
The post I will probably write tomorrow.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tevery Best posted:

This looks very interesting and all, but as a man who does not own the game I have to say most of it is quite unintelligible. Could you run some primers, or maybe annotate the screenshots?

I've been trying to give little primers on how to play (especially in the OP)(dramatically less so on the last update), but it is hard to relay how the game plays in screenshots, without taking hundreds of screenshots: Lots happens very quickly. Also, I was trying run the game rather than do a real Lets Play, and that's my bad. I'll do more informative posts between updates.

One of our players is going to be streaming, which will likely be more informative. I'll pick out a smattering of shots to explain...

The grey square things are Assemblers, which build a single thing as long as they are fed materials. They will work until they cannot (running out of materials or the output is full). Blue and later Green variations are faster. They have a moderate power cost, and moderate pollution output. The faster ones are a little less efficient on both regards, but are, of course, much faster.
The yellow things are Insterters, which will grab things off a conveyor belt, or out of a chest, or out of Assemblers and put them into/onto any of the same. Blue versions are faster, red ones are longer (can reach over things) and green ones are 'smart' and can be programmed to some extent.
You can see a Conveyor belt there too- yellow slow, red quick, blue superfast.

These are Steam Engines, the primary energy source. Combined with Boilers that are fed coal (by inserter), they generate power for everything else. They make no pollution on their own, but the boilers are super smokey, especially en masse.

When you tap Alt, it shows what each machine and storage is currently using/holding/making, as seen here. The top row of assemblers is making (from left to right) Yellow Conveyors (Which require plates from the main line, and gears), Gears (just plates), and Red Conveyors (Gears and Yellow Conveyors). The Yellows are placed on the belt above and carried over to the Red Belt assembler, which puts the product in the output chest.

In the middle of this shot, you see Wires (Req Copper plates only) being fed to Circuits (Req Wire+Iron Plate), which are long-insertered to the belt below to be used in various voodoo magics to the south (or so I imagine). Inserters can take directly from Assemblers to Assemblers, which is something easy to forget.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

You certainly made more out of that muddled pile of horseshit than I could have. I had no idea the screenshots were so terrible when I sent the folder to you. :( I won't be using that program again, that's for sure.

Bah, I had fun with it! A good artistic challenge :v:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 13, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also, out of curiosity, what is the narrative treatment if we die? just load the last auto-save and don't be so stupid next time?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Wow, I didn't even realize we had red belt production up. I just kept stealing yellows from the green sci production.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Hagop posted:

Wow, I didn't even realize we had red belt production up. I just kept stealing yellows from the green sci production.

We didnt for a while as it was eating all our gun-metal so I turned it off :v:

Also I'm glad someone else did robot production so I dont have to if I go again

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

Also I'm glad someone else did robot production so I dont have to if I go again

I had planned on getting both robot production and train rail production automated in my turn, but decided to completely bork up the power situation instead.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Veloxyll posted:

Also, out of curiosity, what is the narrative treatment if we die? just load the last auto-save and don't be so stupid next time?

Yea, basically. I even was caught off-guard once in the OP, the pistol can't handle 6+ bugs at once.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

sloshmonger posted:

I had planned on getting both robot production and train rail production automated in my turn, but decided to completely bork up the power situation instead.

Yah, the issue with that you connected everything. One pipe can only supply water to 10 engines. No amount of tanks, water pumps, or electric pumps will change that. 14 boilers will keep 10 engines at full power all the time. One water pump will always fill one pipe.

So just keep this in mind.

Having more than one water pump per pipe network adds nothing.
Having more than 14 boilers per pipe network adds nothing.
Having more than 10 steam engines per pipe network only brings failure.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 13, 2014

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Hagop posted:

Yah, the issue with that you connected everything. One pipe can only supply water to 10 engines. No amount of tanks, water pumps, or electric pumps will change that. 14 boilers will keep 10 engines at full power all the time. One water pump will always fill one pipe.

I always just keep it simple an do pump->10 boilers-> engines until the temperature drops (8ish).
When I need more power I just make another independent string.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Hagop posted:

I figured some future leaders would appreciate having a stock of red belts. It does eat a lot of metal, and making red belts by hand sucks quite a bit. The factory setup is easy too. Once I get lubricant and express belts, I always set up a little express belt production line. Chews though massive amounts of metal, but gently caress it, I like speedy belts.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Oh gently caress yes, count me in. Just give me any turn you like, I think 13 or 14 is still free?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I played a bit confused. Not sure if I will manage to do a full post today.
Here you have a quick preview of what happened:
http://youtu.be/1RXILFa-qGU

The save in case the next guy wants to start his turn early:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgd4un30nxu0dhs/tonberrytoby.zip

What happened to the sulfur line? I thought I had broken it, but when I checked the old save it was already broken when I started.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
^^^^^^^ I probably broke it by accident

It's important to remember than when going from assembler to assembler, chest to assembler, assembler to chest, or chest to chest inserters can move more than one object with the right research. This is why it's more efficient to load things into a chest then pull it out and stuff it directly into a train car rather than from a belt.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Deadmeat5150 posted:

^^^^^^^ I probably broke it by accident

It's important to remember than when going from assembler to assembler, chest to assembler, assembler to chest, or chest to chest inserters can move more than one object with the right research. This is why it's more efficient to load things into a chest then pull it out and stuff it directly into a train car rather than from a belt.

There are very few things that can be produced or used faster than 3 fast inserters can move them. Having the chest as an intermediary really only serves as a buffer in most cases.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 13, 2014

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Hagop posted:

There are very few things that can be produced or used faster than 3 fast inserters can move them. Having the chest as an intermediary really only serves as a buffer in most cases.
The main advantage for me is that you can use long inserters without slowing down everything. I just don't use trains much.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

I have never really had longs slow me down to much. Just make sure the item being moved by the long is the item the process needs the least of and you once again in most cases processing time will far outpace loading time.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
The time is 6PM EST. In two hours at 8PM I will be starting a new game and streaming this for a few hours to make sure that the program plays nice with my streaming software and to make sure it's working correctly for the LP save stream.

If you want to see this game in motion, watch me gently caress up hilariously, or just have some time to kill, be there. http://www.twitch.tv/presidentark

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Oh my head. Where am I?

Ah, a quaint little factory at the edge of nowhere. I wonder how I got here?

What is this infernal beeping?

What? Someone enabled a roboport without supplying it with sufficient repair packs? Sacrilege! I need to do something.

This looks like a good place for a small pack maker. Those fat busses are so last year, but they make this kind of additions quick at least.

Now I just need to make a provider chest and....

I can't? Not invented yet?
Time for some :science:

This looks like a good place for potion production. Someone has already setup the production of smart inserters. Based on the number of assembler chains he wanted to build around 20 blue potion assemblers, but I will start with two for now.

What was that?

Somethings are getting destroyed? In my base?...
No, they aren't. Whatever got destroyed is far enough away to not even appear on my map. No idea where it even is.
But there is something interesting marked as destroyed to the north, too. Better check on it.

Who left those turrets unconnected. Those things are liable to cause repetitive strain injuries. They really need to get replaced by something more modern.

But not right now, I still need to check on that warning.

Someone bit a hole in this oil pipe? This almost never happens. If it happens again I suppose I will have to put up some real defenses here, but that would be a waste of effort with the primitive technology available to me right now.

Back to setting up some science.

At least somebody had setup an advanced circuit production. But how to get them to the right assemblers, without using robots? Maybe I should use up some of those stacks of fast belts that are eating a hole in my backpack.

Beep, Beep.

WTF. That attack spot barely fits on my map. Now I am really convinced it is nothing important.

Well, time to lay down some belts.

And some assemblers and inserters...

Rearrange the labs a bit...

Finally some real :science:!!!

What will happen next? Stay tuned, this were only the first 20 minutes. I am updating the rest tomorrow.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

For those of you following along at home, here's Science 101: :science:

There are four types of science, by color: red is the simplest, followed by green, then by blue, then purple.

Red Science is very simple- a gear and a copper plate. I had 4 assemblers working in the first hour.
Green Science is tricky- a yellow belt (gear+iron plate) and a Inserter (gear+chip+iron plate, I believe). The chip is made from wire and plate, and the wire is made from copper- so that's a total of 5-7 assemblers depending on layout (like if you use the same gear factory for both lines). Still, inserters and belts are both things you need anyway, so the game is smartly designed to coax you into mass-producing them.

Blue Science is a beast, requiring 4 separate things:
  • Smart Inserter [The green squiggles on the top belt]
    • Fast Inserter + Chips, which is Basic Inserter + Chips, which (as above) are gears and plates + chips
  • Batteries [The other thing on the top belt]
    • Sulfuric Acid + Copper Plate + Iron plate, the acid is Sulfur + Water + Iron, and Sulfur is Water + Petroleum, and Petroleum is refined Crude Oil
  • Advanced Chips [the red things on the bottom belt]
    • Chips + Wire + Plastic, and plastic is Petroleum + Coal
  • Steel (5 iron smelted together) [These are being pulled directly from the furnaces at the bottom]

Jeez, look at that list of bullshit. The thing about this game is, that's not even that bad! Once you get mass production going, you can crank out that whole list of things passively and without a thought, provided you can keep your factory fed with material.

If you thought that list was bad, wait until we start making Purple Science. :v:

Now, these science packs are fed to Labs...

Different research requires different sciences. In general, a research will require all the colors of a particular tech level, but in some rare cases you might not need every color- I know two researches that take purple but not blue, and a few blue researches open red-only tech branches-- but that's sort of a technically, "Turret Fire Speed" and etc, not real advancement technologies.

Rule of thumb, make more Basic Chips.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 13, 2014

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Hagop posted:

This is not strictly true; a pipe can handle more than one pump's worth of liquid, but the exact amount is wonky because Factorio liquid simulation is essentially cellular automata and pipe throughput actually depends on pipe length. But offshore pumps are extremely cheap magical water generating devices that don't even take up much space, and the boiler-steam ratio setup is essentially a question of how fast you can convert fuel to electricity for how much space you're taking up (not fuel/electricity efficiency but rate/space), so there's really no reason to be stingy or try to get all mathematically optimizey about it in the first place.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Evilreaver posted:

Rule of thumb, make more Basic Chips.

Revised: JUST MAKE MORE EVERYTHING. MORE I TELL YOU.

AlliterateAnimal
Apr 1, 2010

Find me a drum that
I might live again!
Streaming my turn right now on HitBox

Be warned, I'm fresh out of surgery and high on percocet in a stream with drunk people :catdrugs:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

^^^ you bastard :argh:

President Ark posted:

The time is 6PM EST. In two hours at 8PM I will be starting a new game and streaming this for a few hours to make sure that the program plays nice with my streaming software and to make sure it's working correctly for the LP save stream.

If you want to see this game in motion, watch me gently caress up hilariously, or just have some time to kill, be there. http://www.twitch.tv/presidentark

IT BEGINS :frogsiren:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

tonberrytoby posted:

Now I just need to make a provider chest and....

I can't? Not invented yet?
Time for some :science:

Red is passive provider chest, yellow is storage chest, blue is requestor, and purple is active provider. So you in fact already had the tech for provider chests.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Provider chests are for nerds anyway, storage and requestors only 4 lyfe

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

AlliterateAnimal posted:

Streaming my turn right now on HitBox

Be warned, I'm fresh out of surgery and high on percocet in a stream with drunk people :catdrugs:

I have no idea what just happened, but it was pretty entertaining regardless.

Also, since I don't think stream chat is included in the recording:

AlliterateAnimal
Apr 1, 2010

Find me a drum that
I might live again!
So that was interesting. My hour ended up being me running around on drugs and being confused. I did manage to put down some turrets and and make the worst pipeline for oil ever.

My goal of making a sweet choo choo train complete failed :(

Here's the save file, I'll toss up a screenshot writeup as well as the youtube video of it as soon as I can come down enough to figure it out.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9401396/BottleBelts8.zip

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Shintaro posted:

This is not strictly true; a pipe can handle more than one pump's worth of liquid, but the exact amount is wonky because Factorio liquid simulation is essentially cellular automata and pipe throughput actually depends on pipe length. But offshore pumps are extremely cheap magical water generating devices that don't even take up much space, and the boiler-steam ratio setup is essentially a question of how fast you can convert fuel to electricity for how much space you're taking up (not fuel/electricity efficiency but rate/space), so there's really no reason to be stingy or try to get all mathematically optimizey about it in the first place.

Unless .10 changed things its takes so little of water pump 2 as to make no difference you still can't get more then 10 full power steam engines off of one pipe line. 10 14 1 anything else is pointless.

*edit: I preemptively concede that 10 13 1 works too as the difference between 100% and like 99.5% does matter either.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 14, 2014

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Stream's over! For a reenactment, please watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLPkKZS6q9k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011
Hell is other robots, indeed.

• Locked thread