Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Chaz GELF posted:

This is a pretty cool idea for an LP! I just picked up Factorio a day or two ago, and I'm strongly tempted to join, but I'm still getting the hang of things and it looks like you're already way into the advanced stuff, so I might be hopping into something where I'm way out of my depth. On one hand there's potential for stuff to go hilariously wrong, on the other it might be frustrating and result in nothing of note getting done. It's fifty-fifty, really!

EDIT Speaking of confusing stuff - the OP mentioned an in-game timer that we should measure our runs by - Where can I find this clock, before I leap in totally unprepared?

The only way to see it is to save, then check the time on the save. Also if you have autosaves on, the game will 'hitch' for a second each save, so you preemptively save a few times before the buzzer, then when the autosave hits (easiest if set to, say, 10 mins) you know you're done.

Want a slot? I'll sign you right up if you like :)

Edit: OP list updated. Note to self for next time: Player list in second post rather than OP :sweatdrop:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaz GELF
Mar 22, 2009

Mostly Harmless

Evilreaver posted:

The only way to see it is to save, then check the time on the save. Also if you have autosaves on, the game will 'hitch' for a second each save, so you preemptively save a few times before the buzzer, then when the autosave hits (easiest if set to, say, 10 mins) you know you're done.

Want a slot? I'll sign you right up if you like :)

Thanks, I'll be sure to keep that in mind when it's my turn! And heck yeah, go ahead and sign me up! This ought to be fun. And probably explodey. I've mostly been learning the ropes on Peaceful Mode for my first couple of days with the game, so this'll be a chance to either test my planning abilities against the alien menace, or panic and flail and run for dear life. It'll be entertaining, either way.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Chaz GELF posted:

Thanks, I'll be sure to keep that in mind when it's my turn! And heck yeah, go ahead and sign me up! This ought to be fun. And probably explodey. I've mostly been learning the ropes on Peaceful Mode for my first couple of days with the game, so this'll be a chance to either test my planning abilities against the alien menace, or panic and flail and run for dear life. It'll be entertaining, either way.

And in the end, entertaining is what matters most.

Chaz GELF
Mar 22, 2009

Mostly Harmless

Veloxyll posted:

And in the end, entertaining is what matters most.

Yep! As it so happens, I've already done my part, and I've got the writeup ready and waiting to go once Michaellaneous and FISHMANPET get theirs posted. I'm looking forward to seeing how the next player tackles the challenge I accidentally set for them :allears:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Can i be added to the turn queue? I would love a shot to make our tiny manufactorum into a glorious forge world fit for the eyes of ommnissah :black101:

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I'd like to play a turn.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Queue updated, if you're 'Awaiting Update' then :arghfist: unless you have it ready and are just waiting for the next guy in which case :coffee:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Chaz GELF posted:

Yep! As it so happens, I've already done my part, and I've got the writeup ready and waiting to go once Michaellaneous and FISHMANPET get theirs posted. I'm looking forward to seeing how the next player tackles the challenge I accidentally set for them :allears:

I already approve of this update. Even in my singleplayer game I'm facing Iron Plate shortage. Which has run me out of repair kits even!

Also, sign me up for a second go

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Oh god I am already next for the writeup? Eh...well, can you guys give me a day? I have the pictures on my PC and can't access in for the next 24 hours or so.

Hope that is not too much of a problem.

e: Or maybe a bit longer. I'll do it asap.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 21, 2014

Chaz GELF
Mar 22, 2009

Mostly Harmless

Evilreaver posted:

Queue updated, if you're 'Awaiting Update' then :arghfist: unless you have it ready and are just waiting for the next guy in which case :coffee:

Meanwhile I'm sitting here double-checking my test post again and again making sure I got the pictures right and hoping it's funny enough :argh::coffee: I'll need to keep a close eye on the thread to see when it's my turn to post!

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

Factorio had an update today, to 0.10.1. If you're next in queue, do not update for now, we'll give it a day or two to make sure it's stable before updating (though it does fix a ton of cool stuff judging by the update list).
The new version has issues with saves loading. For the time being, I would suggest sticking with 0.10 for the LP.
http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4440

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I bought this game because it looks fun and decided to play a bit on peaceful mode.

Aaaagh holy poo poo this gets so complicated so quickly how do you get all the things to all the places its a logistics nightmare :psypop:

I think I need to sit down and draw some things to work out where my belts should go... I also really need to work out a better way of splitting up the output of my mines to go to multiple places. I don't even know where half these belts are going and I only built them ten minutes ago
:negative:

e: An hour ago, wow I spent a long time playing this.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 21, 2014

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I am trying to load the save passed to me, and it says i am not using the mod: scenario-pack 0.9.8

Which will apparently break the replay function. What is this?

Also :wtc: has happened to our poor factory.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

UberJumper posted:

Turned out I am not a good engineer, nor a clever man.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

UberJumper posted:

I am trying to load the save passed to me, and it says i am not using the mod: scenario-pack 0.9.8

Which will apparently break the replay function. What is this?

Firstly, our replay is already broken (it desnyc'd during my turn, even), so no worries there.

What happened is someone in our chain has the scenario pack and didn't disable it before playing. It doesn't hurt anything, so no worries.

Neruz posted:

I bought this game because it looks fun and decided to play a bit on peaceful mode.

Aaaagh holy poo poo this gets so complicated so quickly how do you get all the things to all the places its a logistics nightmare :psypop:

I think I need to sit down and draw some things to work out where my belts should go... I also really need to work out a better way of splitting up the output of my mines to go to multiple places. I don't even know where half these belts are going and I only built them ten minutes ago

Peaceful is definitely the right way to play your first Freeplay, but I highly-highly recommend getting trhough the campaign once since it introduces a lot of concepts that aren't completely clear. That said, I love how darn intuitive the game is-- even things I was sure would be a bastard to set up and use (trains, robotics) were just place-and-go.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 21, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I havn't run into anything that a quick experiment didn't work out yet; it's just keeping track of everything that is a giant ball of madness.

Building central hubs that everything gets funnelled to and then sent where it needs to be makes things easier to work out but my efficiency ocd has to go sit in the corner and close its eyes real hard when I do things that way.

Chaz GELF
Mar 22, 2009

Mostly Harmless

UberJumper posted:

I may or may not have had a hand in the downfall of our base of operations. Not intentionally, mind you, just that my idea of enhancing the base may have had some minor repercussions (When it's time for me to send in my writeup, you'll see some of what went wrong, at least)

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Now I am really curious to see these write-ups.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Evilreaver posted:

Firstly, our replay is already broken (it desnyc'd during my turn, even), so no worries there.

What happened is someone in our chain has the scenario pack and didn't disable it before playing. It doesn't hurt anything, so no worries.

Peaceful is definitely the right way to play your first Freeplay, but I highly-highly recommend getting trhough the campaign once since it introduces a lot of concepts that aren't completely clear. That said, I love how darn intuitive the game is-- even things I was sure would be a bastard to set up and use (trains, robotics) were just place-and-go.

I couldn't get my signals to work when I tried. I could drive the route just fine, but my train would just go "Uguuu no path!"

Hmm. I wonder if trains are smart enough to use Ys instead of the giant loops...
Edit: Oh wait, they hate going backwards. So nope :(

Neruz posted:

Welcome to Factorio.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Chaz GELF posted:

I may or may not have had a hand in the downfall of our base of operations. Not intentionally, mind you, just that my idea of enhancing the base may have had some minor repercussions (When it's time for me to send in my writeup, you'll see some of what went wrong, at least)

:orks: If there is a machine god he is very angry with us.

I tried to screenshot and capture as many of the :wtc: things as possible. However who ever gets it next, i hope you like trains. Because you need to fix that :unsmith:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
This is getting really suspenseful for me, since we're now waiting on 4 writeups, and every one of them has posted that everything has gone to hell. :suspense:

Good luck Phssthpok!

Oh, on that note if Michaellaneous doesn't have a report by, I dunno, say, the :spooky:Witching Hour:spooky: on Sunday (Eastern time), we'll skip the writeup to FISHMANPET to keep the LP moving along.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 22, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Veloxyll posted:

I couldn't get my signals to work when I tried. I could drive the route just fine, but my train would just go "Uguuu no path!"

Hmm. I wonder if trains are smart enough to use Ys instead of the giant loops...
Edit: Oh wait, they hate going backwards. So nope :(

Welcome to Factorio.

Trains will figure out your most complicated routes, as long as the signalling is correct. They use block signals, which would make sense if you've ever played OpenTTD. Basically, your signals set blocks that trains can enter, and only one train can be in a block at a time. When a train crosses a signal, it crosses into another block. It's a little complicated, but makes sense once you get the hang of it. Except for this, I don't have any idea what I'm doing here, I might need to rip a lot of this out and start over:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It is apparently inadvisable to stand on the train tracks while trains are using them.

:stare: my god :stare:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

FISHMANPET posted:

Trains will figure out your most complicated routes, as long as the signalling is correct. They use block signals, which would make sense if you've ever played OpenTTD. Basically, your signals set blocks that trains can enter, and only one train can be in a block at a time. When a train crosses a signal, it crosses into another block. It's a little complicated, but makes sense once you get the hang of it. Except for this, I don't have any idea what I'm doing here, I might need to rip a lot of this out and start over:

I tried setting up the route the same way I would in TTD. Because when I was setting them, I was like "YESSSS, FINALLY MY TTD KNOWLEDGE PAYS OFF." But after an hour(ish) of messing with signals gave me no joy, so I just ended up throwing everything onto a seperate line and calling it done.
Which I should set up another of because ugh out of Crude Oil AGAIN.
Maybe I should set the system up on double productivity modules to maximise oil gains.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Veloxyll posted:

I tried setting up the route the same way I would in TTD. Because when I was setting them, I was like "YESSSS, FINALLY MY TTD KNOWLEDGE PAYS OFF." But after an hour(ish) of messing with signals gave me no joy, so I just ended up throwing everything onto a seperate line and calling it done.
Which I should set up another of because ugh out of Crude Oil AGAIN.
Maybe I should set the system up on double productivity modules to maximise oil gains.

Speed modules in wells, productivity in refineries/plants.
E: Speed Beacons with wells are the only viable use for beacons.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've also made a "passenger" terminal at each of my rail stations so that I can easily travel there in my royal train. Except when I was first setting it up I had all the stops in the schedule and I got out to fix a signal and it left without me, so I had to chase down a moving train.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

FISHMANPET posted:

I've also made a "passenger" terminal at each of my rail stations so that I can easily travel there in my royal train. Except when I was first setting it up I had all the stops in the schedule and I got out to fix a signal and it left without me, so I had to chase down a moving train.
This is why you should never go anywhere without a car and a locomotive in your backpack.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

This is getting really suspenseful for me, since we're now waiting on 4 writeups, and every one of them has posted that everything has gone to hell. :suspense:

Good luck Phssthpok!

Oh, on that note if Michaellaneous doesn't have a report by, I dunno, say, the :spooky:Witching Hour:spooky: on Sunday (Eastern time), we'll skip the writeup to FISHMANPET to keep the LP moving along.

In like how many hours is that?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

FISHMANPET posted:

I have my automatic field kit deliver me the parts for 1 car, and more than a stack of coal for emergency fuel supplies.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I was about to ask you guys how the hell you keep track of poo poo and have enough space to get things where they need to be and then I checked out the legacy save and realised you don't.

e: It'd be really nice to get a rundown on how the robots work; I've grasped some basic stuff like there are some robots that will go and get certain items and bring them back to you but I cannot for the life of me work out how to make my little metal friends be useful. And after going to all the trouble of getting batteries and acid and circuits and steel and plastic to build the drat things I want them to be useful dammit :argh:

Neruz fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 22, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Construction robots will fly around in anywhere red or green from a roboport, and repair buildings. If you make a blueprint and set down a plan for buildings, they will also build them if they can get the parts, as well as replace buildings destroyed by incompetence biters. Structures etc need to be in provider chests to get picked up by construction bots.

Logistics robots work with Provider and Requester chests, as well as your personal logistics queue to move goods around. Note that they only work within the RED highlighted area from when you mouseover a roboport/logistics chest.

You set goods orders for yourself or requester chests by clicking the squares in the middle of the inventory/chest window.

Also, once you're an addict, set up a requester chest that calls for electric motors and Advanced Circuits, then have an inserter plug them into an assembler, and have another insurter take the things from the assembler to a roboport. Instant Logistics army! You can do the same with constructors, but you probably only need 30-40 of those for efficient construction in your primary base.

Which makes comedy logistics bot chains when you come back to base after a construction project/biter removal spree.
And they mean you have to worry less about attack alarms.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I am in the process of writing the update right now, so don't leave me out. Half an hour and I should be done.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Veloxyll posted:

You can do the same with constructors, but you probably only need 30-40 of those for efficient construction in your primary base.

Fun things to do with a massive flight of Construction robots:
  • Forget about accumulator or solar panel construction for a few hours, instantly drop 1000 somewhere
  • Run over poo poo with your car without a care in the world, ConsBots fix the cars and power poles
  • Immediately tear up a huge swath of your base so you can get it right this time, dammit!

I like to have at least 100 ConsBots in base, and 20 at outposts.

(Also the witching hour is just 'midnight', ie 12 hour from now :v:)

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Logbook entry something something

I have found this PDA in my pocket, and I can’t really remember why it is there. Nor can I remember why I am on a desert planet surrounded by lots of machinery.

One thing is clear: There must be alcohol here. How else would I get so shitfaced that I spend the better part of the last...24 hours, probably, building all of this.

After wandering around the place for an hour I noticed a few things:

1. There is no alcohol around anymore.
3. I found a small bottle of pills, but decided against taking them. The fish in my brain is angry enough anyway.
4. There are strange animals that apparently like to attack for no good reason.
5. At least the power is fine.

This obviously seems like a problem as this pesky buggers are going for the main power supply. Finding a few walls and turrets I quickly construct a makeshift defense.

This is only a short solution for the problem, and I do feel rather unprotected. So I want to build a power armor. I wonder why I did not already since this base obviously has the resources to do it.

Ah, the infrastructure is obviously there….

...but it is not getting enough resources. Namely iron plates. Following the belt backwards I check what uses up what we currently produce.

The turret factory is not currently producing, thus everything is back stacking. All the iron is mostly used by the green circuit construction - necessary, of course. But it still uses up almost all the iron.
A quick look at the base the problem is quickly spotted - drunk me apparently decided to not upgrade iron production, and I am stuck with steel furnaces.

That problem is quickly solved. Electric furnaces should help us increase our production with speed modules - which I found 50 pieces off.

Some planning later I got a blueprint and the robots start producing the now modular melting point.

While the robots were doing work - or, to be exact, waiting for me to produce the electric furnaces to plant them down - I decided to check what was holding up the copper ore line.

The problem here being that too many mines put the ore on only one side of the belt - and apparently I was too stupid to realize I did not change the problem at all. I make a mental note and move on.

With the iron production ramping up, I realize we have another bottleneck - energy.

I find a new place to put some boilers and steam engines, another problem solved.

Of course, as soon as I am done an alert pops up - towers have been destroyed, near station Christopher Daniel Rij which is by the way a stupid name.

Not really worth mentioning, I just slapped down a few laser turrets.

After I came back I spotted something nice. The red circuit production finally started up, and kept going regularly. Quite the milestone.

It is not that surprising since the space I used to had filled with steel furnaces is now completely occupied with their electric counterparts.

But it is still not enough, and still unhappy with the production, I cut the belts at one point, and now I do not remember why. I do know it was worthless, so I do not really care. It helped immensely, and iron now gets everywhere where it is needed.

It is an ugly, but quick solution. I cannot be bothered at the moment.

At this point I become even more sober than I already was, and I decide to take some of those pills. They feel good, so it cannot be bag.

At this point I am all about making everything perform better and find something that shocks me...an utterly useless iron barrel production that - granted, has been stopped. But the chest was still filling, and those furnaces were burning through the rest of the iron as well. I rather have it stack up than being burned useless.

The hours went by. I found some lonely purple research packs and spread them around the labs. Smelling the fumes of...whatever it is does not feel to good and my head started to spin.

Remember kids. Don’t do pills and fumes.

After our entire production started to pick up again, we need more copper as well. I am way to hosed up to do anything else than put a few speed modules into the miners.

Quickly checking back on the iron I find myself quite happy that we stack it back.

The PDA started to annoy me. A lot, with it’s stupid beeping of attacks and whatnot. I decide to build a automatic shotgun and ammo factory and go on a rampages. Sadly there is no bubblegum so I cannot think of a one liner.

During the wait for ammo I replace the modules in the red circuit factory that produce a “free” resource after a time with more speed mods. I feel like it is better.

One the way to the target I find some nice spots that I could use later.

And then I find some copper and passed out. Those pills were not that good. I found myself wake up in the middle of the base.

I dreamt of getting my face bitten of by a bunch of bugs.

How hosed up is that.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 22, 2014

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
I have received the save. This looks promising.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phssthpok fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 22, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Oh boy. Where are we? We start at a labratory, looks like it needs more alien artifacts. We don't have much armor, no capsules, and just an SMG with piercing bullets, but let's see what we can do about that.

Well that didn't go very well....

Answering the question "If you die in Factorio, do you die in real life," the answer seems to be no. We once again find ourselves at lampdick.

We need capsules. So first we need more Advanced Circuits. There's a bit of a Logistics Bot network setup, so we'll use that, because quite frankly the belts are a mess

We're up to 300 Logistics Bots, let's take off the feeder arm so we stop putting these on the network (later I'll switch this to make construction bots)

While I was here I saw an attack, and also noticed that most of this had been destroyed but not rebuilt. I threw up a Roboport and used the included plan to rebuild the turrets and walls.

And here's the capsule factory, making Distracter and Poison Capsules. With a bit over 100 poison capsules (to take out worms) and distractor capsules (to take out everything else), I depart

A nest sucesfully taken down, I think I've set this life right, time to leap, hoping this time is my last

Chaz GELF
Mar 22, 2009

Mostly Harmless
Oh cool, so that explains why my turn started the way it did, then! Here goes nothing.

Turn 14 - Light Up The Night

Great. Just great. I won the Galann Mining Corp off-world job lottery. Rigged, probably, given the nature of the job. I fixed their lights once and now everyone there thinks I'm the tech guy. Anyways, I have to go to this run-down base and--*KBOOM*--Ah poo poo, my drop pod's been knocked off course, bracing for a crash landing!

Oh poo poo OH poo poo I CRASH LANDED INTO AN ALIEN BASE

AND THINGS ARE EXPLODING AND oh hey purple goop and I'M TOO YOUNG TO DIE

Okay, maybe I overreacted a bit there, looks like those robots saved my hide. Still, where the hell am I?

Wow, the base is all the way down there? Looks like I'm hoofing it.

Dear god my LEGS

Alright, finally at the base. Okay, they have...

Some doodads, aaaand

Some hickeymabobs, and

I have no idea what any of this does

Okay, Chaz. Just breathe, Just stay calm, just check the computer the superintendent gave you and

I have no idea what any of this means
Okay, let's... forget the statistics for now. I'll check my inventory, see what command gave me.

Okay, I'm kitted out here! Repair materials, electronic replacement parts, batteries, some basic machinery to get me started, and that weird purple alien goop I just loving HELL

WHAT ARE THOSE

...What WERE those? Ugh, probably best not to think about them. Let's see what kind of maintenance this base needs.

There's a turret here, it's out of bullets. Probably not a problem right now, I'll sort that out later.

Looks like a supply train runs through here. I can't get a good look at it with the flashlight right now, though.

...Wow. This area up here is DARK. How's anyone supposed to see what they're doing in here? Someone could trip over/onto/into some machinery and get seriously hurt! This place is clearly not up to code. I'll have to fix that as soon as possible.

I still have no idea what any of this does... Oh! Right, I forgot to boot up my Augmented Reality System Examiner. Lemme just...

Hah! There we go. All I needed was a swift boot up the ARSE and now I... kind of know what's going on.

...Is that the pollution in this area? drat, no wonder they gave me this rebreather suit.

Okay, I've got some more lights here, I'll just get these set up wherever there's an electric pole, get them hooked up...

Hi train! ...I'm glad nobody was around to hear me say that.

Looks like some of those... things were trying to attack the coal mine here. I'll just patch up the wall...

gently caress it, that'll do.

Sweet, the railway lighting system is operational! Which means that...

Excellent, Operation Light Up The Night is off to a good start! Good job too, with those alien things skulking around I don't really feel safe at night. I'll need to light up every dark corner.

Forgot to mention, I thought I was getting attacked by bees when I first got here, but it's just these little logistics robots that are helpfully restocking my inventory with repair materials and other stuff! That's adorable.

Huh, looks like this is where the base's technology research is done. Wait a sec...

Aha! So if I stuff this purple goop into this machine here, it'll make... science-stuff, and that should finish off this research!

I actually did something useful! Sweet. Hmm... What else is here.

Oh gently caress yes, Tesla Coils! :science: I think this base could be done with the capability to shoot lightning at those alien bastards. Researching the gently caress out of this, stat.

Ding, done! And I've queued up an upgrade for those adorable little logistics bots, too. Now before I get distracted, I should get back to the task I've set myself, the task I am absolutely 100% qualified for as an electrician - putting lights everywhere!

Yes, yes! More lights!

Purge the darkness from the area! Darkness hides the enemy! Darkness IS the enemy! :black101: BRING LIGHT TO THE--

...gently caress.

Chaz GELF fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 22, 2014

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
This is getting good

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Save Me Machine God - Turn 15

Due to constant failures of the previous Tech-priests, the glorious Fabricator General Evilreaver (may the Omnissiah bless his soul) has re-tasked me Tech-priest UberJumper to temporarily assist in the production and maintaince of Forge-World Filthyburg. Due to the dire situation of the forge-world, i was not able to achieve everything in the given time frame. Thus I have maintained an archive of my endeavors and have made small comments and suggestions in the hopes that someone will one day be able to assist us. Perhaps it can be used to tech future tech-priests of how to not run a forge-world.

Glory to the Adeptus Mechanicus and praise be to the Machine God!

-------Archive Start------

I met the previous master of the forge, he offered to shake my hand which i found extremely confusing. He was also far too fleshy to be a true servant of the machine god. I do not sense malice is his intent, but i question his ability to design the world. He then bid me farewell handed me the portable device for the forge, then ran off running, in the direction of the shuttle.

I grew weary as a swarm of flying servitors grew in the distance, at first i immediately moved to defend my self. I feared the fleshy man had tainted the machine spirit of this forge-world. As the swarm descended upon me i realized they carried a variety of construction material, and promptly filled my storage with a variety of random materials, and then proceeded off to do a variety of other tasks. I could get used to this. A lone servitor approached me and would act as my companion for this duration, and i prayed he would be useful.

Techpriest> Servitor bring me a full report of the current situation.
Servitor> By your wish master:

Techpriest> Servitor, was the last techpriest an idiot? The state of this forge is completely unacceptable.
Servitor> I do not understand the question.
Techpriest> ...

Servitor> Critical Issue: Power generation systems are failing rapidly across the entire forge.

I have outlined the Major Issues for readers ease:
- Xenos attacks are assaulting from every sector
- Coal and solid Fuel production are far below acceptable production limits
- Iron plate, iron ore and steel production are dangerously low
- Tier 3 science production has been halted
- Production of a variety of products is dangerously low: Batteries, Plastic, Circuits, ammunition

Furthermore the filthy xenos are en-circling our forge:

I worry that combined with the power generation issues, they will simply overwhelm our unpowered turrets.

So i turn our attention to the burners whos task is to power our steam engines, only to realize their machine spirits continue to wail begging for fuel:

However praise the Omnissiah since he has blessed us with a surplus of steel barrels. I wonder if the fleshy man had a part in this.

Servitor> Techpriest, our outpost Christopher Daniel Rij is being destroyed by the xenos.
Techpriest> Why is it named that?
Servitor> ...

Techpriest> We shall deal with that later, restoration of energy generation is far more critical.

Techpriest> Servitor a test, what is the purpose of Indicated transport Lines?
Servitor> Unknown.
Techpriest> .....

Given how desperate our power situation is with our boilers screaming for fuel, i have severed the line to the plastic plant temporarily. I have added 2 emergency injectors of fuel for the moment. The flying servitors seem quite resourceful and after indicating the chest requires coal, a chattering storm of them descended upon the chest. I worry what would happen if there was someone near that chest.

There is still a decent amount of coal in this area, thus i have stripped any offending structures and added more automated miners, in the hope we can offset any power issues a little longer. This entire area will need to be reworked in the future, since it is far from optimal.

Yet again more untapped fuel, i am wary of touching the archeotech structure that appears to house the bizarre flying servitors. It is not my place.

The transport lines of unknown purpose have been partly disassembled. Since plastic production is at an all time low, due to the lack of petrolium, i have disabled the coal transport line, and instead replaced it with two chests. I pray the flying servitators will perform this task without error.

Servitor> My lord, coal is currently backing up at the railway station.
Techpriest> Good this means coal is once again flowing into the power generators.

Our drop off point, for coal needs to be reworked to prevent any further clogging of delivery. Power generation must be ensured.

Techpriest> Servitor, what is the purpose of the red circled pumps?

Servitor> Purpose Unknown. A previous Techpriest erected it.
Techpriest> Water is infinite, was he trying to refill the lake?
Servitor> Unknown.
Techpriest> ... It is not my place to understand the glorious works of the Omnissah.

Power generation is once again running, the boilers are recieving their required fuel. However future tech-priests must increase coal production operations in the near future.

Failure of Iron

Servitor> Techpriest our fabricators cry out for iron plates, and steel!
Techpriest> :negative:

Lets see how the miners are currently holding up:

Not fantastically, and we shall definately require more iron ore soon however there is none to be had currently. There are however more pressing matters at hand. Let us check the status of smelters:

This is a problem, a large amount of our iron plates are being turned into steel. This is resulting in a large amount of iron being consumed by the steel furnances, thus choking the production of various things that require iron plates in their STC design. Furthermore a large chunk of iron plates are being wasted on engines, and platforms.

Techpriest> Servitor why are engines, and transport belts still being produced in massive quanties when we already have a massive surplus?
Servitor> Previous tech-priest designed the fabrication system.
Techpriest> Limit production of all these products.

Techpriest> Servitor? Did you make this?
Servitor> No.
Techpriest> Did you let someone make it?
Servitor> ....
Techpriest> :commissar:

We need iron, a bunch of things below us everything from belts, to batteries, and various other werid things that i do not understand why are being mass produced need it too. However this is a simple fix.

Techpriest> What is this bizarre symbol?
Servitor> Unknown.
Techpriest> Its purpose escapes me, but i shall leave it for now.

Iron plates are finally reaching the rest of the factory.

Techpriest> Since red means faster, we shall replace the iron yellow transport belts with red belts.
Servitor> Techpriest i do not think the color red works that way.
Techpriest> :orks:

Servitor> Techpriest, production of flying servitators is down 99%.

<robot1>.png

Techpriest> I dare not to try to understand the inner workings of these machines, however according to the STC designs, batteries are required, and unfortunately battery production has fallen far far below acceptable output.

Servitor> Iron plate production is still far below acceptable limits.
Techpriest> I hate you.
Servitor> Yes i know.
Techpriest> .....

More iron plates are desperately needed, this is a problem with centralized bus designs. The further down the bus the more likely it is to be starved. Sadly i know a lot of iron plates are sitting in random chests, so we shall let the robots deal with it. This is only a temporary fix and avoids the core problem of iron plate production.

Techpriest> What requires batteries?
Servitor> Laser Turrets, tier 3 research, flying servitors....
Techpriest> Very well we shall eliminate batteries from the central bus. Efficency is everything in the eyes of the machine god.

Techpriest> Build it. Now.
Servitor> By your will.

Techpriest> Good now we need to fix the science pack production. Green inserter production has halted, and convoluted.

Techpriest> Servitor where is our circuit production?
Servitor> To the north however the vast majority of circuits are being rerouted to other parts of the factory.
Techpriest> :negative:

This looks like a good place, we shall relocate the other automated production structures to other areas. Tear it down.

There our circuit production has increased a lot. These are being directly routed along the centralized bus, and not relying on the flying servitors to do it. I apologize for destroying pipe producition. :smith:

Construction of green inserters are now progressing at a decent rate. Praise to the machine god!

Furthermore the circuits have allowed us to restore laser turret production.

Finally we can tackle the issue of tier 3 research production not being operational.

By connecting the steel, removing some obsolete lines, and adding some requests for red processors. We now have tier 3 research running again.

Outpost Christopher Daniel Rij

Lets us see our coal mining outpost and see how it is hanging in there....

Techpriest> Where are the turrets and defenses? I only see a single lone turret.
Servitor> They were destroyed.
Techpriest> Award the machine spirit of that turret the title of master of Christopher Daniel Rij Outpost. It is the most capable being i have met since coming here.
Servitor> .....

Expansion of the train station is a necessity for our iron to reach the primary forge.

Techpriest> We shall expand the train station to connect the iron ore to our production facilities!
Servitor> Your replacement is arriving within the fortnight.
Techpriest> I-I mean my replacement must expand the train station and connect the iron ore to our production facilities!
Servitor> By your will.

I shall expand the ore mining facilities for my replacement. It also apparently under siege from the xenos.

Techpriest> I shall also leave a message for my replacement. Hopefully it will make sense to him. I have also trapped the servitor inside the walls of this message, not as an act of spite, but more as a method of preventing any future stupidity on his part. I hope the walls are strong enough.

------ END REPORT --------

I have summarize my work:

• Restoring power generation
  • Expanding ore mining operations
  • Expanding circuit production
  • Restoring battery production
  • Resolving Tier 3 production
  • Awarded Title of Master of Christopher Daniel Rij Outpost to the laser turret's machine spirit. May the Machine God watch over him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaz GELF
Mar 22, 2009

Mostly Harmless
I feel honored to have been succeeded by a Techpriest! The manner in which I departed sounds pretty accurate too - soon as my hour was up I probably bolted for extraction so I could get the hell out of there and pick up my paycheck (And probably also avoid whatever fate would have awaited had I spent more than two minutes explaining what I screwed up :commissar:)

Thank you also for fixing up the power generation issue - I saw that some the belts were clogged with coal but I had no idea where it was going, and honestly everything was a bit too overwhelming for me to figure out what went where and who did what and... yeah! Hopping into an already-progressed game when you have no idea how anything works is definitely a clusterfuck, but I can't deny that it was Fun!

As a note, one part that I omitted from my update for the sake of keeping it fairly brief was that I spent a large chunk of it trying to figure out how the hell to automate the production of lights, so that I could further illuminate the base. This was around about the point where the base started suffering brownouts, and I felt like the screenshot of my dude surrounded by darkness and power warning signs was as fitting a way to end my writeup as I could think of!

For now, however, Chaz the GMC Electrician has been banished to retreated to a separate forgeworld, so that he may one day learn how not to gently caress poo poo up in the space of an hour.

• Locked thread