Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

TheRagamuffin posted:

I have no idea what just happened, but it was pretty entertaining regardless.

Also, since I don't think stream chat is included in the recording:

I always have a steel provider chested, then my minion bots bring me what I need. Blacken the skies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I am now debating between playing the game heaps more to figure out how robots work so I can achieve more.

And not so it's more of a clusterfuck.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
OK that robot hell video was great, but mostly because it led me to this very patriotic video which forced me to explain to my wife everything about why it's funny.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

FISHMANPET posted:

Red is passive provider chest, yellow is storage chest, blue is requestor, and purple is active provider. So you in fact already had the tech for provider chests.
Yes, I noticed later.
I usually don't research any robotics before blue science so I was confused when I didn't find the active provider. Didn't even see the passive providers until halfway through my turn.

TheRagamuffin posted:

Also, since I don't think stream chat is included in the recording:

It was me. What else should it be? Except an active provider of course.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

tonberrytoby posted:

I honestly have no idea. I'd literally never seen this game before watching AA play. I was just posting it because Evilreaver seemed to know what to do. :v:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

So, update 2 of 3 for my turn:

Researching real robots takes forever. So I suppose I will just have to setup a temporary repair tool dispenser with a passive provider.
Now that I remembered that this is even possible.

With at least some robots available, I can upgrade the potion production while staying at the hight of laziness.

:argh: Maybe not yet.

But let's put down some turrets anyways.
I am sure nothing will run out of construction time before I set up the production required stuff. Unless there is some massive creeper attack.

Time to start linking some of those construction lines to the net. I will need to remember to replace those passive chests with active chests later.

Well what do you know. A creeper attack.

They are eating my boilers. What have those ever done to them. Except blacken the sky with pollution, but who cares about that.

Man those guys are hard to see at night in that rubble.

How did they get into my base.

Why are there no defenses at all on this side?

Well for now I will just lay down a roboport and have those little guys do the repairing.

I wonder where this coal line leads. Well whatever, no time to check it just maintain functionality for now.

I suppose I should get around to fixing that broken boiler setup sometime, heh?

Or maybe I should fix those defenses first.

I will just do this the easy way for now.

Now fetch some stone and repair those boilers.

Is there no stone production in this base? Or am I just blind?

Yes I am blind.

With those boilers repaired we should have most of the power back. The bots can take care of the rest of repairs.

Time to make some more bots, and stuff. Maybe pick up some red circuits first.

Why does it look like there hasn't been any plastic arriving here in days?

With a bit of debugging:

I believe I see the problem. Someone forgot to setup a sink for the light oil.

I will just plug in a second tank. This will surely hold forever.
Maybe not, I suppose I should hook this up to the boilers or something.

What is this?

don't attack me please....

Wait, where are you going?

Wait I said.

Tying to do the road runner?

We have almost reached the other end of this factory. What do you want?

Going in a serpenting pattern will not help you once I catch up.

So you where after this one lonely construction bot?
Man I forgot how much those bots confuse you creepers.

Better plug that hole where you got in.

Mmmm, lasers.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Finally. Seriously watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drdi47S9DPM

I suppose I should automate turret production so I can build more defenses.

This looks like a good place.

Until I remember that turrets need copper these days.

And until I notice that there is a half finished turret production line just a bit north of my location.
This looks fine. Maybe it could be improved by actually setting the assembler to produce turrets, but I can't be bothered with that kind of details.

There are things to do

Like setting up a consumer for that light oil, before the tanks overflow again.

While I am at it, I can also add a second lube tank. No burner here, with advanced refining and automated engine and turbo belt production heavy oil is actually rare.

Building some advanced defenses. This design can actually stop even heavy biters if you add a wall. And most weaker attacks without even a wall.

Time to switch some of those resource buffers to providers. I normally wait until I have active providers for this, but research is taking forever for some strange reason.

Ever since I got here I have been noticing that the factory is lacking in raw copper production. So adding a few more miners will take of a lot of problems, I wonder where the next bottleneck will be.

Time to make some more robots, that lack of constructors warning is getting annoying.

No more batteries? I should go pick some up.

Something feels wrong about this production segment, but I can't place my finger on it.
Whatever there is a box with batteries right here, so it must be OK.

Whoa, there are advanced circuits accumulating? This is almost always the bottleneck for blue potion production. Time to add a fourth production line.

It is strange, research feels slower then in my old factory where I used only two assemblers for blue potions.
Also that defense line at the bottom also seems wrong somehow, don't know why.

Wait batteries are filling up slower then they should, better check on that:

This plant is not working even thought it has all the required inputs? What is going on? There were probably 1.99999 units of sulfuric acid available, i hate that kind of thing.

Out of acid. Time to check on the acid maker:

This one is out of sulfur. Even though there is a full belt for sulfur.
Oh, it is full of coal. What happened here?

The sulfur reactor is placing the sulfur into emptiness. While the belt that should transport the sulfur is connected to the coal. Someone was even thoughtful enough to use a fast splitter for some reason.

This should work. Now just drain the coal, and we should have enough batteries again.

What is the next bottleneck? Looks like it is the copper smelting:

Time to replace those smelters with improved smelters for now, I can expand later.

Once I have enough stone bricks.

How is this stone maker supposed to work? Nothing feeds the input belt.

This should be a quick fix, just take this box and....

spill all the stones, man those are so annoying to pick up.

Later that day:

Finally a functioning stone maker.

But before I use that stone to get the coal going I need a nap.

So that was my turn, good luck fixing all those holes I left in the defenses.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Here you go: http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?vide...ame=robot+devil

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

tonberrytoby posted:

I don't like to have the logistics bots do providing of high-volume items (like steel) until I either have a cloud of bots, or they're upgraded to be very fast/high capacity, otherwise the player ends up being a bottleneck/stranglehold on the bots- they'll drop what they're doing to feed 100 steel, at a walking pace, one at a time, to a player who is sprinting around. Setting them to be providered early like this... well, you can see through most of Alliterate's turn, a half-dozen bots are just doing laps. If they are only doing that, cool, but if they have literally any other task it's being ignored.

It's certainly not the worst problem the base is facing :v:

-------------

Now, if I'm not mistaken, the next two turns (Alliterate and Ark) are complete, they're just waiting for writeups? That makes it Shintaro's turn.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 14, 2014

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

I don't like to have the logistics bots do providing of high-volume items (like steel) until I either have a cloud of bots, or they're upgraded to be very fast/high capacity, otherwise the player ends up being a bottleneck/stranglehold on the bots- they'll drop what they're doing to feed 100 steel, at a walking pace, one at a time, to a player who is sprinting around. Setting them to be providered early like this... well, you can see through most of Alliterate's turn, a half-dozen bots are just doing laps. If they are only doing that, cool, but if they have literally any other task it's being ignored.

It's certainly not the worst problem the base is facing :v:

-------------

Now, if I'm not mistaken, the next two turns (Alliterate and Ark) are complete, they're just waiting for writeups? That makes it Shintaro's turn.
Ah, I usually only research player delivery once I have a full bot production line.
I had intended the steel provider mostly for that.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9401396/BottleBelts8.zip

That's the save going into Ark's turn, I think that's the current one. I'll send a reminder PM too. No PMs :saddowns:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

I haven't touched it yet. I'll be streaming it later tonight.

e: Probably around 6-7PM EST.

AlliterateAnimal
Apr 1, 2010

Find me a drum that
I might live again!
I'll make sure not to do any :catdrugs: streaming at the same time today.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Streaming :siren: for the LP save :siren: will begin in about 15 minutes: http://www.twitch.tv/presidentark

e: Stream start is imminent.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 14, 2014

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Stream's over! Evilreaver, do you have an email I can send the screenshots to?

e: Here's the save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vzjg0kia4jrphb/PostArkSave.zip

President Ark fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 15, 2014

AlliterateAnimal
Apr 1, 2010

Find me a drum that
I might live again!
Here's the gameplay video from hour 7 of the let's play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlhKplxtpiQ
This is the unedited bit, I still need to go through and take screenshots to make a more digestible version for you guys to laugh at, but I'm currently too out of it to successfully do that so here you go :)

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

President Ark posted:

Stream's over! Evilreaver, do you have an email I can send the screenshots to?

e: Here's the save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vzjg0kia4jrphb/PostArkSave.zip

evilreaver @ gmail.com

I'm not imaginative with my screennames.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

evilreaver @ gmail.com

I'm not imaginative with my screennames.

Sent!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Alrighty, getting my ghostwriting on, should have Ark's ready sometime tomorrow.
In the mean time, Shintaro's tentative turn is up. In case he turns it down, Elfface is up next.

I think we're so far in a good position to get the Rocket Defense by the deadline. Oil is definitely a problem for a variety of reasons (cramped refinery complex is one, but no rich oilfields is a big one), but not an insurmountable one.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 15, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Trains. Trains and Steel will solve everything.

Everything I tell you.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Holy hell this has gotten a lot more complicated than I usually deal with. My turn might just be 60 minutes of weeping and slightly expanding the few sub-chains I can figure out.

I'm set up to receive PM's now, so nothing can stop this catastrophe.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Bug Squash posted:

Holy hell this has gotten a lot more complicated than I usually deal with. My turn might just be 60 minutes of weeping and slightly expanding the few sub-chains I can figure out.

I'm set up to receive PM's now, so nothing can stop this catastrophe.

Yeah to be honest I am seeing a dark future for my turn as well.

I think the best now would be to crap out some tier 2 or 3 speedmodules for the oilrigs. Setting up an entire new mining base will be necessary but a pain in the arse.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 15, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Shintaro has passed, so Elfface is up!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Ok then! I'm considering giving this Twitch thing a go. My internet is pretty fast when it's working, so i'll have a play around with progs, then post a link when I start. Or give up and do screenshots. One or the other.

http://www.twitch.tv/elfface starting 6PM GMT, so about 10 mins

Edit: On second thoughts, I'll do it tomorrow, at 7PM. Next door is having a garden party featuring lots of kids yelling. Not exactly the best guest stars.

Elfface fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 15, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
With Father's Day and SA going down for most of yesterday, I got sidetracked on the ghostwrite. I'll probably have it up before Elfface's update unless I come down with The Lazy again :ohdear:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
My train would pick today to be 40 minutes late... Streaming in 10 mins.

aaand technical difficulties. Probably my router or firewall deciding it doesn't like what's happening, but fixing that means messing around with port forwarding most likely. I'll finish up with screenshots.

Elfface fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 16, 2014

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Here's my completed file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0worw6ybr1ryqk/PostElfSave.zip

I'll work on writing an update for after Evilreaver's g-g-g-ghostwriting.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Elfface posted:

Here's my completed file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0worw6ybr1ryqk/PostElfSave.zip

I'll work on writing an update for after Evilreaver's g-g-g-ghostwriting.

I'm just off to bed, but I'll get mine done tomorrow.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

With Father's Day and SA going down for most of yesterday, I got sidetracked on the ghostwrite. I'll probably have it up before Elfface's update unless I come down with The Lazy again :ohdear:

You know what has a bottleneck as well? The forum :v:

Actually, what happens if a goon completely gently caress up? Like every breaks, the base get's completely wrecked. Will it still go on?

Rattus
Sep 11, 2005

A rat, in a hat!

Michaellaneous posted:

Actually, what happens if a goon completely gently caress up? Like every breaks, the base get's completely wrecked. Will it still go on?

That's the only reason I keep reading..

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Michaellaneous posted:

You know what has a bottleneck as well? The forum :v:

Nothing is COMPLETELY unrecoverable, especially now that we have bots patrolling the skies, doing automated repairs. We do have the 24 hour time limit (self-imposed), and if someone breaks the line really terribly then the people who go after them will just have to work hard to catch up.

We're well on track for the most part (Our chip production is a little weak as we go into processors/modules), and worst case... we lose! :v:

We might not even have 24 unique players, which means we could have experienced pros come in towards the end to scramble to salvage the run. I guess we'll just have to see how it comes out, I'm excited!

E: I did gently caress up a little though, the thread would be better titled "Belts, Biters and Bottlenecks". My only regret in life :smithicide:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 16, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Unless you're facing a ton of big biters. Those guys are jerks.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

E: I did gently caress up a little though, the thread would be better titled "Belts, Biters and Bottlenecks". My only regret in life :smithicide:

I thought of that joke for like two days and now you don't even recognize it :suicide:

But yeah, I mean I played for quite a while, and the only thing that stands between me and a not 100 hour campaign is my OCD.

But yeah, quite hyped for my turn.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Turn 9 - President Ark

I found a box next to a large, crashed sphere, labeled "BALOTS" [sic]. The obvious conclusion to be drawn is that this land I have woken up in is a democracy, and the sphere is a voting booth. Well, someone has to run the joint, so I figured I would run for President of this dusty, sandy land. I cast the vote for myself, and closed the polls.

Much to my dismay, the vote ended in a tie! I couldn't read the other name, but that jerk forced a run-off election. Fortunately, he was a no-show for the hour-long debates and talk show appearances, so I handily won the run-off. Hurrah!

The first matter I attended to was that of the national defense:

With a large part of the base double-ringed with solid walls of turrets, it seems like our defenses might be taken care of, at least for now.

Which is a good thing, since there are several very sizable enemy encampments on the outskirts of our fine nation. It's clear why this corner of the base was so heavily fortified.

On the other hand, the deep south and west have sizeable enemies as well. Like any desert nation beset on all sides by hostile, mindless forces of evil, defense is of primary concern.

Now we're talking. Power armor for the President, Laser Turrets for the good people of Filthyburg.

Might as well put the good citizens of this great land to work. I bump up the production of walls, and order a handful of new fortifications built along the south and west borders.

I'm a busy man. I skimp a little on the defenses here, dropping some laser turrets where the power grid already exists. Blue science is important to defend, and I'm not going to be known as the president who was soft on education. Or defense.

Turns out, five factories churning out laser turrets makes for quite the war machine. Since the attacks from the north are straight up relentless, I figure some more fortifications might be in order using our new, top-of-the-line weapons.

I research Advanced Oil Processing, which allows/forces me to rework some of the pipes around the refinery complex. I manage a few ingeneous water and oil lines to make everything work, and even add a cracking plant or two. No dependence on foreign oil for us! Everything sourced locally.

Vindication! The polls are never higher, as my hastily-built and poorly implemented defenses repel a sizable attack on our science line, without the loss of life! I use the political momentum to push through a little more of my agenda before my term is up.

It's beautiful watching citizenry chip in and help their Dear Leader. :allears:

The natives are restless, however. It's getting to be quite a handful :stare: It is fortunate that the people have a strong leader, such as myself, during these trying times. But it is not enough to simply sit and endure their attacks; no, now it is time to take the fight to the enemy!

By building unassuming power lines out into the desert, I can fortify them with laser turrets and annex the whole desert from those drat bugs. :hellyeah: The enemy has massive weapons of their own that they call Worms who sneeze this disgusting acid snot on me when I get close- the turrets vaporize them too.

A wise man once said "Have I not defeated my enemy when I have made him into ash?" I think that's how the saying went.

As my term drew to a close, I did what any Great Leader does: Erect a monument to my greatness. May I present the Lampdong, may it remain firm in the face of national crisis for all time, or at least no longer than 4 hours before calling a doctor. :dong:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

My turn is done, and the save pass on the EvilReaver. I'll write up the turn tomorrow, but it won't get posted until after Elf's to try and keep some semblance of sanity.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Seems we had a stall somewhere. I've PM-poked the relevant parties to get this line running again. We're not dead yet! Just resting.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Production botttleeeeeneck!

The worst!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'll have my writeup done later today. Yesterday turned out to be busy, and I'm workpostin' right now.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'm doublepostin' a lot with this... oh well.

Update

Custodian's log...

What the heck is this thing?

Well, no time to worry about that. There's a factory to maintain.

What the heck is this thing? What does it make? Where does it put it?

Well, no time to worry about that, either.

Our fossil fuel supplies are low.

I'm not sure where they all go, but running out seems like a bad idea.

It looks like someone's started building something out this way... but as I got closer, all I found was a ruined bunker, and hostile aliens.

(One furious chase to the safety of the factory turrets later...)

Well, we need that coal, but running a conveyor belt that far seems impractical. We need something stronger, faster, better armoured...

But first, I needed stone. I heard a rumour there was stone here, but it didn't pan out.

One miniature stone-factory later...
(Not pictured: a chest at the end for regular stone)

It was time to begin.

A lot of track and some cunning loops later...

ALL ABOARD!

Aliens don't like trains... don't seem to mind the tracks, though.

Luckily, some helpful former-employee left a blueprint for a gun-station in my pockets, and the equipment spare for robots to build them.
Good robot. Best friend.

And another, or possibly the same, employee filled my pockets with lasers for the other end!

After that, I decided it was time for some general maintenence. Moving drained miners onto new deposits, making sure inserters pointed where they were supposed to...

Well, this could stand to go a little faster...

After establishing that there was no way for me to fit more factory in there without dismantling significant parts of the endeavour, I did the next best thing.

Upgrade!

...upgrades are slooooowwwwwwwwww...

That's better. The newly upgraded red circuit factories can supply the upgrades for them and their kin.

Hmm, those greens are probably important, even if I only diverted the one factory...

More upgrades!

Upgrades for every-
Log ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Elfface posted:

What the heck is this thing? What does it make? Where does it put it?

Well, no time to worry about that, either.
That is my turret maker. Like I said in my post, I forgot to turn it on.

• Locked thread