Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

How much would guys like if I stream my hour with the savegame? I mean, we don't have many viewers here, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Go for it. Spoilers: You have a bottleneck of one sort to solve. No, I'm not telling you where it is :)

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Also on the subject of "what happens if we get to the last part of the game and nobody can finish in the last segment", how about a contest? If we reach 24:00 and the game hasn't been won yet, we release the save freely and see who can win the game the fastest from that point.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

President Ark posted:

Also on the subject of "what happens if we get to the last part of the game and nobody can finish in the last segment", how about a contest? If we reach 24:00 and the game hasn't been won yet, we release the save freely and see who can win the game the fastest from that point.

I love it.

One thing though: We're on the last player in the list, so we either need some new blood, or we need some people to sign up for Round 2. I'd like at least 4 or 5 hours separation between turns, so I'll try to work that in.

E: The good news is, we're 12 hours in, thus marking the halfway point. I could simply go right back down the list.

E2: VVV Added!

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 18, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I can give this a try.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Okay, I will sort out the poo poo with irfanview to take pictures and I will stream in about an hour.

http://www.hitbox.tv/MichaellaneousSA

Feel free to join me. The more the better.

Veloxyll posted:

Go for it. Spoilers: You have a bottleneck of one sort to solve. No, I'm not telling you where it is :)

I assume with one you mean a dozen.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 18, 2014

AlliterateAnimal
Apr 1, 2010

Find me a drum that
I might live again!
I really regret not having irfanview for my playthrough. I am glad that I at least streamed it because I have no memory of it ever taking place :doh:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I guess I have to delay my stream a bit, sorry. Lot of poo poo happening, and I am soon to play some spergy falcon bms.

I will not touch the savefile until I can stream.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

AlliterateAnimal posted:

I really regret not having irfanview for my playthrough. I am glad that I at least streamed it because I have no memory of it ever taking place :doh:

Then this is the perfect excuse for you to go again, right?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I'm proud to see several of my designs still standing. I wonder how automated robot production is doing.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
If we run out of new people I will play a 2nd round.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I'm proud to see several of my designs still standing. I wonder how automated robot production is doing.

There was automated robot production?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I also would play a second round, if we don't get enough new people.
But I would avoid having my turn on a workday if possible.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Ditto. I can also do a round two if necessary. It is fun to see how the base is progressing.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

They said need me at the eleventh hour. I had no idea they meant literally.
Here was I, a fresh graduate of the Aberdeen Engineering School just like our hero Montgomery Scott, preparing to continue the glorious work of bringing the machine to a virgin planet. I’d just completed the VR training, where I’d even built a plane! (didn’t get to fly it, but that’s pilot work anyway). I have to admit that I kinda cheated on the train training, but it would be OK as long as didn’t feature heavily in the…

Crap. That’s train tracks up there. Well I got enough training to figure out this was a coal mining outpost. Didn’t look like there was much for me to do out here, so I just had to figure out a way to get back to the main base in something like reasonable time.

Wheeeeee!
I have a wee wander around the main base and see if I can spot any obvious problems. There’s a whole mess of unpowered radar dishes. Those suckers suck up juice like a Glasgow radiator, so I decide they were disconnected for a reason. I find a box filled with engines, which I’m going to assume is part of an ongoing project. I also have my first encounter with Logistics Robots. Hey there little guys! I have no idea what you do. Aberdeen Engineering School has failed me totally on the subject.
And that’s when I realised I was miles out of my depth. I wasn’t worried though, I just took stock of my surrounding, dried my tears, and worked out what I could do to improve things round here. I found out the power situating was getting a little desperate. Also I found a chest filled with steam engines, so I guess that’s just providence or some such.

Steam engines for everyone! I ran out of space inside the base, so I just put them outside of the defensive perimeter. I’m sure this will prove to be an excellent idea. I'm feeling pretty clever about the whole endevour. The new engines are draining the water supplies down to nothing, so I stick down a big bunch of pumps at a nearby pristine pool, along with a chain of conveyor belts to feed some new boilers with coal. All great ideas.

Crap. Seems those stupid aliens didn’t think so, and tore a bloody great hole in my boilers. Luckily I found a chest filled with laser turrets! And since we now have the energy to power them, I throw those suckers down to defend my new boilers. I couldn’t find any walls to defend my lasers, so I improvise by building a wall of lasers around my lasers. That the kind of quick thinking you can thank Aberdeen School of Engineering for!
I wander round the base again, fixing a whole bunch of little bits of damage that the aliens have done. Where I fix it, I put up some more of my patented Wall Lasers. I head back to the train station to beef up the security a bit.

I wander round the base again, and find we’ve gotten a shortage of coal further down the line. As you can see the set-up here is the problem. We need to be using both sides of that belt to double our capacity. I dismantle the belts here, and quickly re-arrange them. OK, that didn’t work. Neither did that. No. No. No. AAAAAAAnd there we go.

THERE SHUT UP IT’S PERFECT. Jimmy cricket, that took so goddamn much time. I gotta justify my time here, so it’s LASERS LASER AND MORE LASERS.
In fact, screw it, I’m out of here. I’m off of this crappy planet. I’m going to get in the car I found in my pocket and do donuts round the base for the few minutes I’ve got left. Hopefully one of you smart-alexs can figure out how to build a stupid missile defense system.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Well now I have no reason anymore to put it off. I'd say probably an hour before I start to stream.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Payday 2 :negative:

Streaming now. Come join me and see the trainwreck begin.

Probably quite literally.

http://www.hitbox.tv/dashboard/MichaellaneousSA

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Michaellaneous posted:

Payday 2 :negative:

Streaming now. Come join me and see the trainwreck begin.

Probably quite literally.

http://www.hitbox.tv/dashboard/MichaellaneousSA

That link doesn't work, but this one does:
http://www.hitbox.tv/MichaellaneousSA

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It's not letting me chat :saddowns: but I am watching!

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Thanks everyone for watching, that at the end was a mayor fuckup, but...let's just forget.

Also sorry that Id did it on hitbox, twitch is meh.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Wait, did you get your hour in? It sorta just cut out for me after you got bit.

VVV No, no problem, I thought you might have cut early thinking your turn was done on death or something. I got your PM, and am passing the save on now

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 19, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

Wait, did you get your hour in? It sorta just cut out for me after you got bit.

I was playing for 55 minutes at that point already.

e: So I hope that is not too big of a problem?

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 19, 2014

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I was watching the stream too. Our base has really turned into a monstrosity. It is impressive. Circuit production is going to have to go way, way up in order to do rocket defense though. It seems like we are dumping a lot of resources into chests unnecessarily, like those ammo feeder chests being filled to the brim with copper plates.

If it were me, I would be putting production into capsules, in order to help take out nearby enemy bases. Distractor capsules and destroyer capsules. I would then focus on getting a basic set of power armor together, along with a fusion reactor and some exoskeletons. I tend to have a more proactive approach to alien bases underneath my pollution cloud. I was taking the war to the biters on the second hour.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 19, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Filthy Monkey posted:

I was watching the stream too. Our base has really turned into a monstrosity. It is impressive. Circuit production is going to have to go way, way up in order to do rocket defense though. It seems like we are dumping a lot of resources into chests unnecessarily, like those ammo feeder chests being filled to the brim with copper plates.

If it were me, I would be putting production into capsules, in order to help take out nearby enemy bases. Distractor capsules and destroyer capsules. I would then focus on getting a basic set of power armor together, along with a fusion reactor and some exoskeletons.

Yeah my OCD was kicking in all the time. It was...horrible.
I forgot to delete that at the end, but the ammo production is absolutely unecessary. For the sake of our cooper platers, remove 3 or 4 of those inserters.

e: Also another main problem I see is size. I don't think if you have heard it, but those red circuits need much more space to expand, we need at least 2 more of those production lines.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I was watching the stream for a little while. A tip, when you were distributing those alien research packs to the labs, you could have inserted them into the output of the factory making them to get them onto the conveyor belt. You can put items into the output of a factory as long as it doesn't exceed a full stack, I've used that quite a bit while gaming my laboratories.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

FISHMANPET posted:

I was watching the stream for a little while. A tip, when you were distributing those alien research packs to the labs, you could have inserted them into the output of the factory making them to get them onto the conveyor belt. You can put items into the output of a factory as long as it doesn't exceed a full stack, I've used that quite a bit while gaming my laboratories.

This is especially handy in my typical blue-belt lines. I'll drive by and pick up the fresh blues, while dumping Reds in the Red Output (up to a stack) and in the Blue Input (up to a stack), then the same with yellow belts in the yellow out and red in. I end up recycling most of my belts this way.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

Oh I didn't know that. Quite usefull.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think one of my favorite things about this game is that every time I think "it would be so much easier if the interface would do X" it usually does.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I need a one-button (ideally a modifier-click) to limit the size of containers. The X button two-click is annoying when I need to limit 20 boxes on a station to 2 each.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

I need a one-button (ideally a modifier-click) to limit the size of containers. The X button two-click is annoying when I need to limit 20 boxes on a station to 2 each.

from version 0.9
code:
New copy/paste 
 see your keyboard-configuration! 
 Click SHIFT-right to select a object you want to copy from as source. 
 Click SHIFT-left to copy the properties from the source to the target. 
Edit: vvvvvv I haven't tried it for that purpose, just assumed it worked.

sloshmonger fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 20, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
As far as I can tell, that doesn't copy capacity limits.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

FISHMANPET posted:

Oh hmm. Speaking of that, I just realised a mistake I made setting up the alien research lab. Oops.
Eh, I'll detail it here while I work on the writeup - there should be a green arm to pull the Alien research out of the Requester chest and dump it on the belt on the correct side. I forgot that the first setup I built like that had a chest for the outputs so any research went there, and the Alien artifacts went in the other (or, in fact, any provider chest on the base). The actual requester is fine, since it pulls in all the artifacts and research it can find then spits it out, ready to be researched.

Ah well. I got mostly everything else working. Well, besides Iron -> Circuits for Advanced boards.

Also, we should have a TON of logisitcs bots. Efficiency is for chumps! (in my own game I shut down my production system once I realised I had...184 Logisitcs bots. When I get back to base after murdering some aliens, I get resupplied FAST)

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 20, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I left it with about 300 logistics bots, at which point I switched the factory supplying the roboport to construction bots, but it could probably be switched back to logistics or just turned off.

In my own game I currently have over 1000 logistics bots, and probably just as many construction bots.

I wish there was a smart inserter condition on "number of logistics bots" and "number of construction bots."

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Deployment Log of the Star Empire

I have been deployed to a partially completed base. Scans indicate that it has been operating for at least 10 hours, perhaps more.

There are two things I notice when I arrive.

One is the empty belt. Why is there a belt with no cargo? We must investigate.
But there is a more pressing issue. The nearby gun lacks resupply capability! We must fix this! Without defenses we are very vulnerable to rebel attacks.

Nailed it. Though something about the whole setup still nags at me.
It appears the belt carries sulphur, though the quantities suggest a dire lack of raw resources, or production capability.

First however, we must expand the air fleet. I locate the electrical engine factory, and start replacing chests with requester and provider chests to ship frames to where they will be deployed.

Then all that's left to do is set up a chain to take the airframes, attach some circutry, and shove them straight into the logistics system!
Our automata will blacken the skies themselves!
Also, my pack is a mess, who supplied me for this mission?!

Speaking of supplies, the Advanced Circuit loop is out of plastic. There is certainly a supply side issue with our oils.

For that matter, why am I carrying this alien gunk around, lets turn it into something useful. I'll set up a requester so I can just drop it in any chest and it'll get sorted out. What are machines good for if not doing all the work?

Now, about that oil problem...
I also see an easy way to link some more stone to the factories, so throw down some mines. What does the ground even DO with resources?

While I was laying some pipe, I also built a roboport. Turns out the northern defenses and train station were outside of our logistics and repair network. I correct this, now the defenses should be maintained against all but the strongest enemy attacks.
(Tutorial talk: The dashed line indicates it connects to another Roboport. Connecting to another roboport means that logistics and construction bots can move between the two ports. Having the Roboports all linked means that the Logistics bots I make in the south can transport things all over the base.
The red square is the range where logistics bots will work, and the green where constructors will work.)

The extra oil is much appreciated. Though we are also draining our energy reserves overnight.
(So much plastic!)

Our Alien materials is coming along nicely (as chat discussed, I made a teeensy little booboo with the setup of this factory. It's not a huge deal providing no-one teleports any bread makes Purple science themselves.)

As I do some maintenance on the copper mines, I finally realise what about the defenses has been bugging me...
THEY'RE BEING FED TINY BULLETS! This is not the PanzerSkank memorial base! This must be rectified.

I may also have set up a chest to produce Processing Chips on the way.
Seriously. TINY BULLETS WHY.

I needed more red conveyors, and couldn't see a ready supply, so I built a factory for that too.

After some quick pathbuilding, I find a) a good bullet factory with no provider chest, which I correct, and b) The old bullet factories. Which I retool into making red murderbullets.
The shadows also show that Logistic Bot production is proceeding well. Yessss my little ravens, deliver me your bounty of material wealth.

It's about this time I notice the OTHER red belt production line. Eh, details.

And, for later rangings, I have made a few barrels for storing essential oils. That way no-one has to worry about building pipes half way across the world to ship remote oil home.
Naturally, by made, I mean set up a factory to do it.

As the turrets engage, the crimson army of bullets marches on. I see no reason not to use up the other bullets as well. Waste not, want not.

But we DID need more power.

Speaking of needing more things, I also found factory ideally suited for making turrets and activated it. It's right next to our ammo factories and everything. Perfect. Soon none will be able to. Wait, what's that so...

(Actually, having revised it, the Alien Artifact setup is nearly aok. You just have to manually put the purple research in the chest. Unless I set it up differenly when I had to redo a bit because I forgot to watch the time and it was one and a half hours past my endtime. Though it may be set up slightly differently because temporal hyjinks. Eh, Terrible engineering is just one of the perks of this LP!)

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 20, 2014

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Factorio had an update today, to 0.10.1. If you're next in queue, do not update for now, we'll give it a day or two to make sure it's stable before updating (though it does fix a ton of cool stuff judging by the update list).

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

Factorio had an update today, to 0.10.1. If you're next in queue, do not update for now, we'll give it a day or two to make sure it's stable before updating (though it does fix a ton of cool stuff judging by the update list).
Remember that as long as we stay in one version and with the same mod settings, we have the replay option available. So if someone forgets to screen-shot something important, he can check with the ingame recording.
If we upgrade to the new version we lose that possibility.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

You can set me to awaiting writeup since I have already sent you the last savegame.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

tonberrytoby posted:

Remember that as long as we stay in one version and with the same mod settings, we have the replay option available. So if someone forgets to screen-shot something important, he can check with the ingame recording.
If we upgrade to the new version we lose that possibility.

When I was on my turn, I tried using the replay to get a few extra screenshots. Sadly, it seemed to desync about 20 minutes in (I was working on a stone deposit). Anyone else try the replay?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

When I was on my turn, I tried using the replay to get a few extra screenshots. Sadly, it seemed to desync about 20 minutes in (I was working on a stone deposit). Anyone else try the replay?
I hadn't actually tied it yet. But it desyncs for me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaz GELF
Mar 22, 2009

Mostly Harmless
This is a pretty cool idea for an LP! I just picked up Factorio a day or two ago, and I'm strongly tempted to join, but I'm still getting the hang of things and it looks like you're already way into the advanced stuff, so I might be hopping into something where I'm way out of my depth. On one hand there's potential for stuff to go hilariously wrong, on the other it might be frustrating and result in nothing of note getting done. It's fifty-fifty, really!

EDIT Speaking of confusing stuff - the OP mentioned an in-game timer that we should measure our runs by - Where can I find this clock, before I leap in totally unprepared?

Chaz GELF fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 20, 2014

• Locked thread