Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I am in, too.
Does anybody know if there are problems with transferring a save from the windows to the linux version and back?

24 hours to get to the rocket defense is also pretty close for the relaxed playstyle that I prefer. Will be fun to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Man this thread moves fast.
I only checked if I can load the save now. I will play my turn once I get home from work.
The post I will probably write tomorrow.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Hagop posted:

Yah, the issue with that you connected everything. One pipe can only supply water to 10 engines. No amount of tanks, water pumps, or electric pumps will change that. 14 boilers will keep 10 engines at full power all the time. One water pump will always fill one pipe.

So just keep this in mind.

Having more than one water pump per pipe network adds nothing.
Having more than 14 boilers per pipe network adds nothing.
Having more than 10 steam engines per pipe network only brings failure.
I always just keep it simple an do pump->10 boilers-> engines until the temperature drops (8ish).
When I need more power I just make another independent string.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I played a bit confused. Not sure if I will manage to do a full post today.
Here you have a quick preview of what happened:
http://youtu.be/1RXILFa-qGU

The save in case the next guy wants to start his turn early:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgd4un30nxu0dhs/tonberrytoby.zip

What happened to the sulfur line? I thought I had broken it, but when I checked the old save it was already broken when I started.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Hagop posted:

There are very few things that can be produced or used faster than 3 fast inserters can move them. Having the chest as an intermediary really only serves as a buffer in most cases.
The main advantage for me is that you can use long inserters without slowing down everything. I just don't use trains much.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Oh my head. Where am I?

Ah, a quaint little factory at the edge of nowhere. I wonder how I got here?

What is this infernal beeping?

What? Someone enabled a roboport without supplying it with sufficient repair packs? Sacrilege! I need to do something.

This looks like a good place for a small pack maker. Those fat busses are so last year, but they make this kind of additions quick at least.

Now I just need to make a provider chest and....

I can't? Not invented yet?
Time for some :science:

This looks like a good place for potion production. Someone has already setup the production of smart inserters. Based on the number of assembler chains he wanted to build around 20 blue potion assemblers, but I will start with two for now.

What was that?

Somethings are getting destroyed? In my base?...
No, they aren't. Whatever got destroyed is far enough away to not even appear on my map. No idea where it even is.
But there is something interesting marked as destroyed to the north, too. Better check on it.

Who left those turrets unconnected. Those things are liable to cause repetitive strain injuries. They really need to get replaced by something more modern.

But not right now, I still need to check on that warning.

Someone bit a hole in this oil pipe? This almost never happens. If it happens again I suppose I will have to put up some real defenses here, but that would be a waste of effort with the primitive technology available to me right now.

Back to setting up some science.

At least somebody had setup an advanced circuit production. But how to get them to the right assemblers, without using robots? Maybe I should use up some of those stacks of fast belts that are eating a hole in my backpack.

Beep, Beep.

WTF. That attack spot barely fits on my map. Now I am really convinced it is nothing important.

Well, time to lay down some belts.

And some assemblers and inserters...

Rearrange the labs a bit...

Finally some real :science:!!!

What will happen next? Stay tuned, this were only the first 20 minutes. I am updating the rest tomorrow.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

Red is passive provider chest, yellow is storage chest, blue is requestor, and purple is active provider. So you in fact already had the tech for provider chests.
Yes, I noticed later.
I usually don't research any robotics before blue science so I was confused when I didn't find the active provider. Didn't even see the passive providers until halfway through my turn.

TheRagamuffin posted:

Also, since I don't think stream chat is included in the recording:

It was me. What else should it be? Except an active provider of course.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

So, update 2 of 3 for my turn:

Researching real robots takes forever. So I suppose I will just have to setup a temporary repair tool dispenser with a passive provider.
Now that I remembered that this is even possible.

With at least some robots available, I can upgrade the potion production while staying at the hight of laziness.

:argh: Maybe not yet.

But let's put down some turrets anyways.
I am sure nothing will run out of construction time before I set up the production required stuff. Unless there is some massive creeper attack.

Time to start linking some of those construction lines to the net. I will need to remember to replace those passive chests with active chests later.

Well what do you know. A creeper attack.

They are eating my boilers. What have those ever done to them. Except blacken the sky with pollution, but who cares about that.

Man those guys are hard to see at night in that rubble.

How did they get into my base.

Why are there no defenses at all on this side?

Well for now I will just lay down a roboport and have those little guys do the repairing.

I wonder where this coal line leads. Well whatever, no time to check it just maintain functionality for now.

I suppose I should get around to fixing that broken boiler setup sometime, heh?

Or maybe I should fix those defenses first.

I will just do this the easy way for now.

Now fetch some stone and repair those boilers.

Is there no stone production in this base? Or am I just blind?

Yes I am blind.

With those boilers repaired we should have most of the power back. The bots can take care of the rest of repairs.

Time to make some more bots, and stuff. Maybe pick up some red circuits first.

Why does it look like there hasn't been any plastic arriving here in days?

With a bit of debugging:

I believe I see the problem. Someone forgot to setup a sink for the light oil.

I will just plug in a second tank. This will surely hold forever.
Maybe not, I suppose I should hook this up to the boilers or something.

What is this?

don't attack me please....

Wait, where are you going?

Wait I said.

Tying to do the road runner?

We have almost reached the other end of this factory. What do you want?

Going in a serpenting pattern will not help you once I catch up.

So you where after this one lonely construction bot?
Man I forgot how much those bots confuse you creepers.

Better plug that hole where you got in.

Mmmm, lasers.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Finally. Seriously watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drdi47S9DPM

I suppose I should automate turret production so I can build more defenses.

This looks like a good place.

Until I remember that turrets need copper these days.

And until I notice that there is a half finished turret production line just a bit north of my location.
This looks fine. Maybe it could be improved by actually setting the assembler to produce turrets, but I can't be bothered with that kind of details.

There are things to do

Like setting up a consumer for that light oil, before the tanks overflow again.

While I am at it, I can also add a second lube tank. No burner here, with advanced refining and automated engine and turbo belt production heavy oil is actually rare.

Building some advanced defenses. This design can actually stop even heavy biters if you add a wall. And most weaker attacks without even a wall.

Time to switch some of those resource buffers to providers. I normally wait until I have active providers for this, but research is taking forever for some strange reason.

Ever since I got here I have been noticing that the factory is lacking in raw copper production. So adding a few more miners will take of a lot of problems, I wonder where the next bottleneck will be.

Time to make some more robots, that lack of constructors warning is getting annoying.

No more batteries? I should go pick some up.

Something feels wrong about this production segment, but I can't place my finger on it.
Whatever there is a box with batteries right here, so it must be OK.

Whoa, there are advanced circuits accumulating? This is almost always the bottleneck for blue potion production. Time to add a fourth production line.

It is strange, research feels slower then in my old factory where I used only two assemblers for blue potions.
Also that defense line at the bottom also seems wrong somehow, don't know why.

Wait batteries are filling up slower then they should, better check on that:

This plant is not working even thought it has all the required inputs? What is going on? There were probably 1.99999 units of sulfuric acid available, i hate that kind of thing.

Out of acid. Time to check on the acid maker:

This one is out of sulfur. Even though there is a full belt for sulfur.
Oh, it is full of coal. What happened here?

The sulfur reactor is placing the sulfur into emptiness. While the belt that should transport the sulfur is connected to the coal. Someone was even thoughtful enough to use a fast splitter for some reason.

This should work. Now just drain the coal, and we should have enough batteries again.

What is the next bottleneck? Looks like it is the copper smelting:

Time to replace those smelters with improved smelters for now, I can expand later.

Once I have enough stone bricks.

How is this stone maker supposed to work? Nothing feeds the input belt.

This should be a quick fix, just take this box and....

spill all the stones, man those are so annoying to pick up.

Later that day:

Finally a functioning stone maker.

But before I use that stone to get the coal going I need a nap.

So that was my turn, good luck fixing all those holes I left in the defenses.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

I don't like to have the logistics bots do providing of high-volume items (like steel) until I either have a cloud of bots, or they're upgraded to be very fast/high capacity, otherwise the player ends up being a bottleneck/stranglehold on the bots- they'll drop what they're doing to feed 100 steel, at a walking pace, one at a time, to a player who is sprinting around. Setting them to be providered early like this... well, you can see through most of Alliterate's turn, a half-dozen bots are just doing laps. If they are only doing that, cool, but if they have literally any other task it's being ignored.

It's certainly not the worst problem the base is facing :v:

-------------

Now, if I'm not mistaken, the next two turns (Alliterate and Ark) are complete, they're just waiting for writeups? That makes it Shintaro's turn.
Ah, I usually only research player delivery once I have a full bot production line.
I had intended the steel provider mostly for that.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Elfface posted:

What the heck is this thing? What does it make? Where does it put it?

Well, no time to worry about that, either.
That is my turret maker. Like I said in my post, I forgot to turn it on.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I also would play a second round, if we don't get enough new people.
But I would avoid having my turn on a workday if possible.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

Factorio had an update today, to 0.10.1. If you're next in queue, do not update for now, we'll give it a day or two to make sure it's stable before updating (though it does fix a ton of cool stuff judging by the update list).
Remember that as long as we stay in one version and with the same mod settings, we have the replay option available. So if someone forgets to screen-shot something important, he can check with the ingame recording.
If we upgrade to the new version we lose that possibility.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

When I was on my turn, I tried using the replay to get a few extra screenshots. Sadly, it seemed to desync about 20 minutes in (I was working on a stone deposit). Anyone else try the replay?
I hadn't actually tied it yet. But it desyncs for me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

I've also made a "passenger" terminal at each of my rail stations so that I can easily travel there in my royal train. Except when I was first setting it up I had all the stops in the schedule and I got out to fix a signal and it left without me, so I had to chase down a moving train.
This is why you should never go anywhere without a car and a locomotive in your backpack.

• Locked thread