Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Of course I want to play this game! Why else would I use this set-up:

-Borrowed PS3(and thus the cords)
-Borrowed PS3 account
-Borrowed PSN account
-Borrowed laptap
-Borrowed Skype and Skype name
-Borrowed headset.
-and the game itself was a shared purchase.

I literally only own the controller for this. Also I bought the final DLC for this LP. I don't have a problem no sir!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

don't worry brother, we're all in this together

suffering or no

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I don't like how YouTube's page keeps getting worse as the days go on, I swear it is, so I'm going to add Polsy links to everything from now on. I've already added them for the old updates too.

And here we are, speak of the devil, for the USS finale!

Update 07 - End of the Line

(29:09) USS 7: Freedom|YouTube|Polsy

~Leon S. Kennedy is protecting Sherry Birkin who holds the key to the G-Virus antigen. The government is sending reinforcements to help them. If Wolfpack can't secure the girl and kill Leon, Umbrella won't be so forgiving this time.

After recording this my internet cut out and I didn't feel like playing a third time to split the team for the Leon fight, but in consolation we did the unanimous decisions that led to some results that I can virtually guarantee nobody has seen or been through and they were fun enough.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
I think you guys should do the team split at least at some point just to show it off, but as a bonus video and not something to immediately prioritize for the LP.

That said, nice job on surviving it gang.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
We were originally going to, but because the rest of the mission took three loving tries to get through for some godforsaken reason, we just said gently caress it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Holy gently caress those Claire and Sherry models are bad. At least there was some fun with the glitches though, cause everything else looked pretty terrible.

So I don't know much about this game, where is the "meat" of it supposed to be? I can't imagine they really expected you to pay 60 bucks for just this.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

It has multiplayer modes that we might be showing off. I never actually played any of them because it was dead to hell when I tried.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Momomo posted:

Holy gently caress those Claire and Sherry models are bad. At least there was some fun with the glitches though, cause everything else looked pretty terrible.

So I don't know much about this game, where is the "meat" of it supposed to be? I can't imagine they really expected you to pay 60 bucks for just this.
I think Claire and Sherry (and Leon, as well) are ported over from Darkside Chronicles, but don't quote me on that.

As for your question, these past 7 videos ARE the "meat" of the game, since the USS are all you have at the start (aside from multiplayer) and Echo Six are a DLC campaign. Yes, Slant Six considers the USS campaign a "complete game". Even though both versions of the ending are very abrupt and don't actually wrap things up.

Lunethex posted:

I don't like how YouTube's page keeps getting worse as the days go on, I swear it is, so I'm going to add Polsy links to everything from now on. I've already added them for the old updates too.
I recommend the YouTube Center extension for either Firefox or Chrome. Easy to customize, and you get to fix or disable a lot of YouTube's recent changes (like DASH playback). However, if you don't want YouTube's stupid "theater mode" to bleed through the current release, you'll have to opt for YouTube Center's developer version.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
THAT'S THE ENDING OF THE GAME?!

That's it?! Those two tiny rear end separate cut scenes and linear goals are the whole "alternate timeline" shtick that the game was billed as being? gently caress this game, what a load of poo poo! :argh:

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Part of the alternate timeline poo poo is also the fact that the US Military committed a lot of soldiers to the city.

See, the military was only barely involved in the original games' version of the Raccoon City outbreak. Other than putting up a pretty lovely quarantine and blockade of the city and blowing it up with multiple missiles at the end of it, the only involvement by them seen in the games is the presence of dead soldiers and military equipment at the end of RE3. I believe the DLC campaign sort of expands on it, but it's debatable how much of that is canon and how much is just part of the insanity of "Operation Raccoon City." In the main "timeline" it's just a bunch of soldiers who were apparently sent in on a secret mission with a barely portable rail-gun, who then proceeded to get Tyrant Bombed by Umbrella. You can see the corpses of both tossed around the final boss area, along with a couple of files that identify them as Special Forces.

Part of the larger plot of the series is that the US government was at least vaguely aware of what Umbrella was doing and working with them to keep the whole bioweapons thing under wraps. There was some friction between them (the aforementioned squad of soldiers getting wiped out by Tyrants, a file in the cemetary mentioning that Umbrella is trying to get the US government to call off the missile strike), but otherwise it seems like they're trying to make this disappear so nobody knows about the massive outbreak or the fact that the government was at least peripherally involved. So you'd think the last thing they'd want to do would be calling attention to this by deploying a couple companies of soldiers, right?

Well, in ORC that poo poo's thrown out the window, as you can see in the USS campaign. Pretty much every scenario outside of the second trip into the Umbrella Labs you encounter a shitload of Special Forces, who are apparently there to collect evidence against Umbrella*. Meanwhile, not only is Umbrella fighting back by sending in their own guys (I seem to recall fighting USS soldiers in the free first scenario of the Echo 6 campaign), but they're also flying in BOWs to airdrop on them, because apparently the military didn't bring in any anti-air or anything.

*And wow they're bad, because aren't they in Birkin's Lab when this all goes down? Seriously, nobody made off with a hard-drive or something? It's not like Umbrella is really good about keeping poo poo secret with all those files they leave out everywhere. It would not surprise me if the screen saver for the computers in Umbrella Buildings were just reports and still photos of them doing hilariously awful experiments.

Mountain Lightning fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 4, 2014

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
At around 4:45, that fire there, just before you climb up the shipping containers? The AI will actually stand in it. For literally no reason. They will die there. No reason whatsoever. It is completely out of the way!

The suddenly spawned zombies and crimson heads at 7:30 only spawn if those two soldiers bleed. If you're trying to get S-rank for kills you actually need to spawn them unless you wanna farm the the Spec Ops perimeter guys. Though actually you'll still have to do because this level has like no enemies and a stupidly large kill target.

Speaking of that complete death trap before the death trap of fighting Leon; you actually need to rush in and trigger a message to incite blood frenzy into the soldiers before the barricade can actually be knocked down. Otherwise nothing happens. Well, except all the zombies getting taken out and replaced with an endless stream of crimson heads that focus on you to the extent of ignoring everything else.

Everyone who played probably already knows but for the viewers at home: the random mid-air cover in the final area is because that train actually rotates when the team splits. So because the game is a poorly codded mess(okay, that everyone knew), they were covering up against where the train would be if things weren't agreed on beforehand.

I actually knew about the generic USS troopers attacking if everyone went defense. I'm not sure why I know I just do.

Also there are 9 pieces of data in this level. 3 of them are in the Leon room. 8 is the amount needed to get the S-rank. All 3 and the laptop are on the attackers side. But despite that, it's actually easier to just defend Leon and run past the attackers to grab the data because Leon is an unstoppable death god. The video performance against him was exceptionally good despite all evidence to the contrary. His gun hits for 1.5 health segments a hit and there's no safe place to shoot him. Even if you're at the very furthest point he can hit you and the grainy blue filter means you can't snipe him back. Don't think about getting cute with a brutal kill either, heroes are immune and Leon will do it right back at you.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Oh, so that's what happens in the ending! Every time I've played it on the PC neither ending cutscene has audio.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Derek Barona posted:

I think you guys should do the team split at least at some point just to show it off, but as a bonus video and not something to immediately prioritize for the LP.

That said, nice job on surviving it gang.

We just might, but it all depends on who can be there. Also I'm worried Timmy won't show up for the DLC :ohdear:

Momomo posted:

Wait until you see Harley. He has easily the worst modeling done in the game, it's even more funny than Lupo's ball of brown yarn for hair.

AradoBalanga posted:

I recommend the YouTube Center extension for either Firefox or Chrome. Easy to customize, and you get to fix or disable a lot of YouTube's recent changes (like DASH playback). However, if you don't want YouTube's stupid "theater mode" to bleed through the current release, you'll have to opt for YouTube Center's developer version.

I do but Youtube keeps updating and breaking it every other day.

Mr. Soop posted:

THAT'S THE ENDING OF THE GAME?!

That's it?! Those two tiny rear end separate cut scenes and linear goals are the whole "alternate timeline" shtick that the game was billed as being? gently caress this game, what a load of poo poo! :argh:

Yes. It's pretty god drat bad.

"Hey Bob."
"Hey Tim."
"So we're going to have people create paradoxes in Resident Evil with our new game right? We've got Leon done so when are we getting to Claire, Ada, and others?"
"Leon only, the others are out."
"Why?"
"Because, man, doesn't that just sound like effort?"

Are you Wanderer on an alternate account by any chance :v:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also this is no true Pre-RE4 game because there was a disturbing lack of excessive crests, keys, and floor switch puzzles.

Also despite the fact it took all of 10 seconds for a whole lab to get infected and mutated and all of the BOWs to break out, that is far far more safe and sane than any Umbrella lab I've seen before. The "Open cages and release virus into HVAC system" icon is not present on any of the PCs either, nor is it right next to the start button.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Good God Almighty y'all are troopers for dealing with this glitchy, tedious and bullet sponge horseshit.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Lunethex posted:

We just might, but it all depends on who can be there. Also I'm worried Timmy won't show up for the DLC :ohdear:

Getting a PS3 message of the meet time would help :v:

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Lunethex posted:

Are you Wanderer on an alternate account by any chance :v:

Nah man. I liked his Plot Analysis of the series a lot. Good stuff. Plus I admittedly played the poo poo out of the series, especially the older ones, and have a ridiculous amount of it still in memory because of stupid self-imposed challenges.

(seriously, if you attempt the No-Merchant run of RE4 or the knife-everything run of RE3 you kind of have to learn everything or die repeatedly. Or both.)

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
This game is just one of the many nails in the coffin that made Capcom realize that outsourcing its properties is not a smart idea.

Unless you give them to PlatinumGames. :v:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

If you gave Wesker to PlatinumGames, could he possibly get any more amazing?

On another note, is everyone happy with the videos up to this point? In terms of footage quality and general watchable-ness. Just making sure before I get rid of the raw footage I have (which I always sit on until I'm certain it's gone over well).

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe

Lunethex posted:

If you gave Wesker to PlatinumGames, could he possibly get any more amazing?

On another note, is everyone happy with the videos up to this point? In terms of footage quality and general watchable-ness. Just making sure before I get rid of the raw footage I have (which I always sit on until I'm certain it's gone over well).

Yeah, it's good quality. Unless someone else has issues with the quality, I think you're probably safe to dump the raw footage.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

WaltherFeng posted:

This game is just one of the many nails in the coffin that made Capcom realize that outsourcing its properties is not a smart idea.

Unless you give them to PlatinumGames. :v:

Oh my god, that would be AMAZING! :swoon:

Sadly I doubt that Capcom has enough sense to make a good move like that these days. At least Resident Seavil was pretty enjoyable.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mr. Soop posted:

Sadly I doubt that Capcom has enough sense to make a good move like that these days. At least Resident Seavil was pretty enjoyable.
They thought that having the player manually enable (and have it disabled by default) the pause function in RE6 was a good idea. I definitely think that Capcom's staff have nothing that resembles common sense these days.

The fact that Revelations turned as well as it did still amazes me. Yeah, it wasn't perfect, but compared to ORC and RE6, it was a drat enjoyable game that got the bare minimum of advertising (at least, compared to RE6).

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

AradoBalanga posted:

They thought that having the player manually enable (and have it disabled by default) the pause function in RE6 was a good idea. I definitely think that Capcom's staff have nothing that resembles common sense these days.

The fact that Revelations turned as well as it did still amazes me. Yeah, it wasn't perfect, but compared to ORC and RE6, it was a drat enjoyable game that got the bare minimum of advertising (at least, compared to RE6).

God, that was such a dumb design decision. I know it's because MULTIPLAYER but for single-player it's just obnoxious. Also really hated the complete lack of unlockable weapons, and the grind-fest to unlock the skills.

After completing Revelations for my 360 and playing some Raid Mode, I popped in 6 just to see how it might compare. The biggest tell was when I got to the campaign select screen, where I thought to myself "I don't want to play any of these.". I played the first part of the Leon campaign, then got bored and took a nap instead of continuing it.

ORC also has garnered the same thought process from me looking back on the LP so far despite not having ever played the game. Very little of it looks fun. And I know it's on a higher difficulty so it's a bit of a slog, but it seems like even on normal difficulty it'd be a drag. There isn't a whole lot that seems satisfying to offset it being Area Clearing Simulator 2013. The bosses are so lame because when they aren't being a simple gauntlet, they're scripted as all hell. The whole thing is just a massive wreck, and I'm happy Lunethex and the gang are suffering through it so I don't have to.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
True suffering doesn't begin until my next weapon.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Mountain Lightning posted:

Part of the larger plot of the series is that the US government was at least vaguely aware of what Umbrella was doing and working with them to keep the whole bioweapons thing under wraps. There was some friction between them (the aforementioned squad of soldiers getting wiped out by Tyrants, a file in the cemetary mentioning that Umbrella is trying to get the US government to call off the missile strike), but otherwise it seems like they're trying to make this disappear so nobody knows about the massive outbreak or the fact that the government was at least peripherally involved. So you'd think the last thing they'd want to do would be calling attention to this by deploying a couple companies of soldiers, right?

The problem is, of course, that neither RE nor RE2 were designed with further sequels in mind, and RE2 doesn't dwell heavily on the state of the city. It's a suburb in RE2, big enough to have had its own art museum at one point but otherwise unremarkable, but both RE3 and Outbreak add massive amounts of infrastructure to it and set its population at about a hundred thousand. Thus, in RE2 it's the kind of town where an outbreak could happen overnight without making the local news, but by RE3 it's been going on for a week, Raccoon City actually is a city, and it's under martial law. About the only serious plot hole in the entire series that nobody's ever gone back and tried to justify is how both Leon and Claire managed to drive right into town without noticing there was a problem.

It's not so much that the government's trying to make the outbreak vanish as it's that outside sources either don't know or aren't sure what caused the outbreak in the first place. Some early broadcasts are shown in RE:O that depict it as the theorized result of an unspecified toxic waste spill, and there's a file in RE3 in the newspaper office that depicts the "man on the street" amount of knowledge anyone has: there are zombies and mutants, they're contagious, it probably isn't airborne (except it sometimes is). The only surviving people who know exactly what happened in the city are Claire and Ada; even Nicholai never finds out what started the outbreak, and Leon has to come by it secondhand through Claire.

Then, after more than a week of assorted shenanigans, the President is gently urged by his advisors to consider sterilizing the place via an aerial bombardment and the fallout from that decision drives him out of office. If trying to make the entire outbreak disappear Men in Black-style was ever on the table, it wasn't for long.

AradoBalanga posted:

One of the things to remember about the modern state of Capcom is that while many of their name players have left the company for one reason or another, most of the production staff is still in place. I've read that Revelations was made by roughly 90% of the same crew that made RE2.

That said, Platinum Games is the rebranded Clover Studios and they did not leave Capcom under the best of circumstances, so it's unlikely at best they could be lured back to work on Capcom franchises again.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So I take it friendly fire is always on? That can't make a four-person campaign in tight quarters very easy.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Glazius posted:

So I take it friendly fire is always on? That can't make a four-person campaign in tight quarters very easy.

Only on Veteran and Professional.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It honestly helps since you can revive people very easily, and Bertha and Four-eyes spawn with a first aid spray and AV-spray every time.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Technical difficulties ahoy. We sat down today for recording of Echo Six, and it went well through the first mission. However, at the end...

Can you spot what's wrong here? The end timer looped back around and is now 999. My game crashed and I was disconnected from my own session several times leading up to the recording and after. We couldn't even start the 2nd mission due to this. Not only was I repeatedly disconnected and saw "Create Game Failed" several times, but I was even signed out of PSN.

Coincidentally my PS3 has been having some problems over the past few weeks and I'm worried it's going to ruin the LP, but I'll keep you posted.

:(

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Coincidentally, that was the same issue plaguing me right around the time of the Mission 4-5 recordings. Only sheer luck prevented me from being DCed at the time of the session, and as we stopped recording I actually did drop.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
No worries mate, just work at it when you guys can. No one else is brave or stupid enough to try, so you're all we've got. :downs:

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

If any game should invoke the LP curse, it should be this one.

It's such... a pain in the rear end. This game could never be good, but there was potential for guilt-free fun. Playing as Umbrella is rad - if they really embraced it and actually had you do stuff like killing survivors instead of one Aryan superman non-canonically off-screen, and made a lame "oh Umbrella betrayed you now you could be the good guys or something" over the course of three lines of dialogue. And the coop could be fun with lots of asymmetrical abilities - if it didn't have ridiculous issues like it being harder at lower difficulties because you can't kill your teammates in order to heal them. At the very least it should be as ridiculously, gloriously stupid as Resident Evil is, but even that is extremely watered-down. The developers had the chops, and then they made this huge freaking mess. What in the world went so wrong?

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

The Wizard of Oz posted:

If any game should invoke the LP curse, it should be this one.

It's such... a pain in the rear end. This game could never be good, but there was potential for guilt-free fun. Playing as Umbrella is rad - if they really embraced it and actually had you do stuff like killing survivors instead of one Aryan superman non-canonically off-screen, and made a lame "oh Umbrella betrayed you now you could be the good guys or something" over the course of three lines of dialogue. And the coop could be fun with lots of asymmetrical abilities - if it didn't have ridiculous issues like it being harder at lower difficulties because you can't kill your teammates in order to heal them. At the very least it should be as ridiculously, gloriously stupid as Resident Evil is, but even that is extremely watered-down. The developers had the chops, and then they made this huge freaking mess. What in the world went so wrong?

If watching this game has shown me anything... I'd say it's probably Beltway's fault.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
It'll all be Tweed's fault soon enough.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

I still say the best thing they could have done is gone completely tongue in cheek.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

It's been a while, someone's probably wondering where Echo Six is. I took care of my own technical issues. I sat down and got everything recorded finally with Aces High and Timmy, and not only did I lose the last two recordings, (the one with the 999 timer which I neglected to mention til now) my software didn't even record for the first session of the night (:downs:). We made it through. Then realized things got worse, but equally funny. I'll start cranking them out and hopefully have them all up by next Saturday! First episode should be this Friday.

While I couldn't get 4-players together for Echo Six it still managed to be a wild ride.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Calling it a disaster would not be inaccurate.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I delayed by two days so I present two videos to start Echo Six with Harley's beard! I recall saying I was excited for getting into Echo Six but the events that prevented 4 player co-op had dimmed that initial fervor.

Update 08 - Eye of the Storm

(35:41) Spec Ops 1: Trouble - YouTube|Polsy

~No one knows what happened to Raccoon City - it just went quiet. The few reports collected are nonsensical at best. To discover the truth, the government has sent a team of special operatives known as Echo Six.

Update 09 - By The Trail of our Dead

(31:54) Spec Ops 2: Breakdown - YouTube|Polsy

~Jill Valentine has accused Umbrella Pharmaceutical Inc. of being responsible for the outbreak in Raccoon City. Echo Six must investigate City Hall before Umbrella has a chance to cover their trail.

If you notice a certain inconsistency in these videos & the commentary then no, you are not imagining things.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
See? Disaster.

Time for some interesting bits from the LOST RECORDINGS.

Recording 1:
-A bunch of Crimson Heads spawned in on the roof literally right next to me and killed me.
-I threw all three sticky bombs on Jill and she didn't die.

Recording 2:
-I got more kills with the worst weapon in the game(Micro SMG) over the Mob Special.
-I'd never attempted to flank the back of the USS stronghold during that fight, so just chose to do it for something different. I got ANNIHILATED. They locked me down into death before I even knew what the hell was happening.
-Following the above, the Shona AI ran up and never got attacked himself. He ran into a corner and took down two USS by himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
Spec Ops 1: Dear lord, could they have included anymore gratuitous shots of Jill? The camera was practically climbing up her skirt when she was rolling on the ground. Also, why does she have chimpface? I like how Nemesis is a bullet sponge and has only like, 3 attacks. So much :effort:

Spec Ops 2: Jesus gently caress, why is that whole thing a close quarters gauntlet? Would it have killed them to ease up on the player for a little bit even? Why is Carlos Olivera white now? Not like it's some sort of thing that's up for grabs in the canon.

However, I think that in order to prove your guys' skill, I vote that you all should do Spec Ops 2 on Professional. :getin:

• Locked thread