Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
This is probably one of the least friendly games to just jump into in the series, especially if you're not playing multiplayer for whatever reason.

You start out with a bunch of guys who are effectively interchangeable, no skills, and a bunch of guns that are basically just airsoft for all the damage they do to zombies, let alone the Special Forces or BOWS. I played through this on whatever the easiest difficulty is (I forget which) my first time and generally ended each scenario at an hour plus, nothing found, and a death-rate similar to playing "I wanna be the guy."

And the single-player AI is bullshit. The characters do not use their abilities all that much outside of Vector cloaking and I think I saw Four-Eyes once Crimson-Head a dude. Both times I played (when it came out and about two months ago) the AI goons on my team spent more time shooting the walls than the enemies, and of course they stick with a default gun which could be terrible. Oh, and my personal favorite is that nobody actually uses First Aid Sprays on you. I've actually seen an unwounded Bertha run away from my red-health rear end just so she could blow a first aid spray on an unwounded Beltway in the corner.

Anyone who is foolish enough to pick this up and play it single-player should definitely consider sticking with Lupo (for Super Soldier) or Bertha (because you will never get healed and she can carry up to 3 or 4 Sprays) until they get used to the game. Then get and keep on either the Riot Gun like Lunethex (because it wrecks poo poo) or one of the powerful Assault Rifles (I forget which one but one is pretty nice for general work if you don't want to rush every enemy ever with the Riot Gun).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Isn't that pistol like 25000 XP or something? I mean it makes sense now but when I was playing I saw the minimal damage increase and was "Welp, let's stick with the shotgun and use the pistol for zombie-swarm." I literally didn't learn about the special melee moves (including Bertha's Surprise Herb Party move) until the last time I played, and I had no idea you could hold soldiers hostage. Then again if it's mentioned in the manual I didn't have it because I was renting the game.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Drakenel posted:

From what I've heard, supposedly the reason there aren't more lickers in resident evil 2 is that the USS killed them all here.

Or something. Then again there were quite a few in Outbreak. More still in resident evil 5 despite uh... the T virus having nothing to do with everything there.

Operation Raccoon City is non-canon to the main RE story.

Lickers, at least initially, are people who have been exposed to the T-Virus and either live with it a while and eventually mutate (the Crimson Heads from the REMake) or get a second dose of the T-Virus after being infected. The Lickers in Raccoon City are almost certainly the latter: several files in RE2, RE3, and the Outbreak series allude to the fact that quite a few citizens of Raccoon City were already dealing with a mild case of it when the main outbreak happened, courtesy of the fact that the RE1 outbreak happened in a forest and the T-Virus can apparently infect or be a carrier on anything, and the fact that quite a few BOWs were still loose in that area.

As for the ones in RE5, weren't there files about them?

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Derek Barona posted:

Yeah, there's at least one computer in the segment just before they're introduced where a Tricell guy is going "Hahaha, Lickers loving rock. Management is the best for letting us make a bunch of them."

Neat. I don't think I ever found that file.

Derek Barona posted:

I think the original file was in Gun Survivor. It basically outright states that Zombie + More T-Virus = Licker mutation. This was before the REMake gave us Crimson Heads, though, so it might've been adjusted to accomodate for that.

This is true but it seems like it's just an alternate method. The two biggest pieces of info that kind of mess with the theories a bit are the Regis Licker (the boss of the "Hellfire" scenario in Outbreak) and the presence of lickers in the Umbrella Labs.

The Regis Licker is essentially a Crimson Head that is in the process of turning into a full-blown Licker. She still looks human-ish and has hair, but she's also trying to impale you or strangle you with her tongue. The big issue there is the fact that she's a Crimson Head at all: if the regular Licker process results in Crimson Heads, shouldn't you theoretically encounter a few? This could just be chalked up to Capcom not wanting to include them for whatever reasons, or possibly someone wanting to reference previous material and messing it up a bit (see also Kevin's ending to "Desperate Times" in Outbreak File 2, where Leon and Claire make a cameo in their cop car despite the fact that it's a bit too early for that poo poo).

As for the Lickers in the Umbrella Labs, I'm seriously doubting they'd have people who were already infected there. Umbrella is incompetent but I highly doubt even they would tolerate that poo poo. That leaves a few options, far as I can tell, for the presence of Lickers there. Here's my thoughts on why they're there, in what I feel is the most likely reason why to the least likely reason why. Grain of salt, etc., especially since I haven't played the original games in a while.

Option A) Umbrella was doing research on the Licker mutation. This is supported, in a sense, by Outbreak and quite a few files from this and other games. Birkin has pretty much done so much with the T-Virus that he's often credited with creating it, and the Outbreak scenario "Below Freezing Point" shows off quite a bit of the rest of the lab, where there's a fair amount of creature tanks in some of the rooms as well as Lickers being present relatively early in the outbreak. Combine that with the fact that the Lickers at the labs are the Enhanced variety (and thus more dangerous) and you can assume they're either older/more mutated than the ones you encounter in the city, or they've been experimented on.

Option B) Capcom wasn't thinking about this poo poo initially and they just threw 'em around because "We need some fuckin' end-game enemies in the final area and those giant plants are a bit too dopey looking! Throw some more of those clawed tongue monsters there! What? They're a bit too weak? Palette swap them and up the damage and health!" This is supported by laziness and the usual retconning they do between games to try and fix poo poo.

Option C) Some of the zombies that resulted from the outbreak in the labs that happened at some point after Birkin decides to sample his product managed to find some more T-Virus and break that poo poo out. This is somewhat ludicrous but slightly supported by the fact that Umbrella isn't very big on proper safety measures. I mean, they store BOWs in tanks that they can apparently break out of very easily if they wake up and there's a large lack of internal security in the labs. Sure, there might actually be guards when they aren't overrun by disease, but more often than not the actual labs are unlocked.

Option D) Somehow Lickers from Raccoon City made the trek outside the city a few miles, manage to get to the tram station that is the main entrance to the Umbrella Labs, and work their way down there, somehow mutate, and get stronger.

Mountain Lightning fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 13, 2014

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
If you can find a copy of them cheap or you are a major fan of the play-style of the older games, the Outbreak Series is definitely worth it. However, there are a notable number of differences between what you're used to, regardless of which part of the series you come into, and a lot of weird design decisions. In addition, the main draw of the games is Online Play, and the short answer is you can't really do that anymore.

(The long answer is unless you live in Japan and have a Japanese PS2 and copy of Outbreak File 2, and pay a monthly subscription, you can't play online. There's some stuff about an online server but from what little I read about it it's still largely in development and buggy to boot.)

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Judge Tesla posted:

Outbreak online was pretty much the Beta version of Left 4 Dead and you could and would end up with at least 1 useless person in your group, in addition to people spamming the voice commands constantly, so all you'd hear would be a chorus of "Oh my God", "What?" "Help me!" "Oh poo poo".

I got to play Online near the tail end of it and have fond memories of loading up a scenario, ending up with a guy who fucks off immediately because he knows the scenario like the back of his hand, a second who is a griefing shithead who holds doors shut, and a third playing Kevin (and it's almost always Kevin; if not him then Mark) who either idles for a fair while until something kills him or shows that he is clearly either learning the game, bad at it, or possibly under the influence of a phenomenal amount of drugs. I would steadily grow frustrated until that magical group lined up where everyone knows what they're doing and then you go and do Wild Things on Very Hard while literally boot-loving everything because we're saving ammo for the zombie elephant boss fight (because gently caress the lion entirely).

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
I think it might actually take less time to get the key and do the forklift thing than to kick it down. However, the problem is zombies on Very Hard will gently caress you up if you let them, and chances are good they'll be in your way on both legs of the trip.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Mr. Soop posted:

Quick question, are they all scripted?

One thing that continuously bothers me while watching these videos is the character design. It's 1998 in-game, and while everyone else has their game-specific original look to them (so far at least), the player characters all look like Metal Gear/Mass Effect rejects.

Some of it's probably just to distinguish the characters a bit so you aren't all playing as "Guy or Girl in black body armor and a gas mask" like HUNK and his buddies. Visual distinction is kind of important in these games. Besides that? Probably a combination of "Look how cool these characters are" and the usual sort of ridiculousness that sometimes hits these games costumes (see also: just about every one of Jill's outfits outside of Revelations.)

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Basically, how Leon and Claire crash the car depends on whether or not Leon or Claire is on the A scenario. I want to say that if Claire is A (the canon scenario), then the car slams backwards like that, meaning Claire gets to go through the front of the RPD and Leon gets to go in the back. If Leon's first, the car slams in the front. It's a neat little touch.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

limited posted:

Didn't hunters used to be nearly bulletproof from behind when O:RC came out?

Hunters have never really been bulletproof, other than the fact that generally the handgun is a piss-poor weapon against them. Pretty much every game they're in (not including this one or the Chronicles games) they'll go down to 2-4 shotgun blasts, 1-2 grenades (acid most effective, while flame is least if memory recalls), or 1-2 magnum shots. I've never tried killing them with just straight handgun outside of RE3's mercenaries mode, though, so all I know is it generally takes 15+ rounds with the 9mm to kill one.

Behind doesn't really affect it on the whole bulletproof thing. You can get quite a few ambush shots throughout the series on enemies, including Hunters, especially when you're dicking around with speed-running and avoiding enemies. So barring something obscure I'm missing or one of the previously mentioned games, Hunters don't have any real special defenses to anything except either the default handguns or the assault rifle in RE3.

Nevermind didn't read it all the way. My bad. All I recall is that when Hunters showed up I generally needed like three million bullets to kill any of them.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
It's strange. I really want to like this game. It has some things that I kind of enjoyed and wished were in other (better) RE games, like the dual-Tyrant fight or the general chaos of you vs. zombies vs. Special Forces (with the occasional special guest star of "Nemesis," "Hunters," or "That Teamkilling Fucktard Nicholai and his Sniper Rifle."). Hell, even some of the locations you're in aren't that bad.

Then all of the bullshit kicks in and makes me want to play better games.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Part of the alternate timeline poo poo is also the fact that the US Military committed a lot of soldiers to the city.

See, the military was only barely involved in the original games' version of the Raccoon City outbreak. Other than putting up a pretty lovely quarantine and blockade of the city and blowing it up with multiple missiles at the end of it, the only involvement by them seen in the games is the presence of dead soldiers and military equipment at the end of RE3. I believe the DLC campaign sort of expands on it, but it's debatable how much of that is canon and how much is just part of the insanity of "Operation Raccoon City." In the main "timeline" it's just a bunch of soldiers who were apparently sent in on a secret mission with a barely portable rail-gun, who then proceeded to get Tyrant Bombed by Umbrella. You can see the corpses of both tossed around the final boss area, along with a couple of files that identify them as Special Forces.

Part of the larger plot of the series is that the US government was at least vaguely aware of what Umbrella was doing and working with them to keep the whole bioweapons thing under wraps. There was some friction between them (the aforementioned squad of soldiers getting wiped out by Tyrants, a file in the cemetary mentioning that Umbrella is trying to get the US government to call off the missile strike), but otherwise it seems like they're trying to make this disappear so nobody knows about the massive outbreak or the fact that the government was at least peripherally involved. So you'd think the last thing they'd want to do would be calling attention to this by deploying a couple companies of soldiers, right?

Well, in ORC that poo poo's thrown out the window, as you can see in the USS campaign. Pretty much every scenario outside of the second trip into the Umbrella Labs you encounter a shitload of Special Forces, who are apparently there to collect evidence against Umbrella*. Meanwhile, not only is Umbrella fighting back by sending in their own guys (I seem to recall fighting USS soldiers in the free first scenario of the Echo 6 campaign), but they're also flying in BOWs to airdrop on them, because apparently the military didn't bring in any anti-air or anything.

*And wow they're bad, because aren't they in Birkin's Lab when this all goes down? Seriously, nobody made off with a hard-drive or something? It's not like Umbrella is really good about keeping poo poo secret with all those files they leave out everywhere. It would not surprise me if the screen saver for the computers in Umbrella Buildings were just reports and still photos of them doing hilariously awful experiments.

Mountain Lightning fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 4, 2014

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Lunethex posted:

Are you Wanderer on an alternate account by any chance :v:

Nah man. I liked his Plot Analysis of the series a lot. Good stuff. Plus I admittedly played the poo poo out of the series, especially the older ones, and have a ridiculous amount of it still in memory because of stupid self-imposed challenges.

(seriously, if you attempt the No-Merchant run of RE4 or the knife-everything run of RE3 you kind of have to learn everything or die repeatedly. Or both.)

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
Jesus that USS miniboss in the second mission looks like some bullshit. Having Dee-Ay for Super-Soldier and maybe a controlled Harley (for bonus healing) or Shona (for hitting assholes with virus needles) probably would have made it a lot easier.

Also I kinda hate how every opponent and monster in this game is apparently on steroid and wearing power armor, because even the lowly zombie is taking like four or five shotgun blasts at close range. Is that just professional or is it just the Spec-Ops campaign continuing to be some bullshit?

Just a fun fact, in his original RE3 debut Nemesis could take about 90-100 handgun rounds before he dropped prizes and took a nap, even on most of his mandatory fights. I'm fairly sure I remember sections of that fight where you guys put down 300 rounds into him from close range with your handguns and he didn't even flinch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
That mission also looked "Fun." Also sort of short.

Minor plot note: Nicholai wasn't on the cable-car when it crashed, and to get it so Carlos helps Jill in the Nemesis fight in RE3 in the Courtyard you need to either not do anything during the decision, or you need to hit the emergency brake. This means that Carlos, not Jill, is the one who throws himself from the out of control cable-car and presumably faceplants into a car at forty miles an hour.

So are the Spec-Ops missions still unending bullshit on Normal or Veteran? Because they look like they might be.

• Locked thread