Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah, Operation Raccoon City. Such a quirky concept (playing as Umbrella stooges sent in to cover up the company's incompetency), but oh dear sweet baby Jesus did it falter in execution. Glad I passed on buying this game back when it came out. The amount of bullshit this game throws at you is just bad. The Licker chain-stun is only the beginning. It gets worse.

At least Nicholai is still as Snideley Whiplash as he was back in the old days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Derek Barona posted:

Welcome to ORC, basically. This game's "story" is less of another look into the events of the canon timeline during RE2/3 as it is just an attempt at bringing the action shooter gameplay of the newer games back into the early settings of the series and giving gently caress all about whether or not they're tearing their own established canon to shreds in the process just so they can say "Hey, you get to play through here with THIRD PERSON SHOOTING!!!"
To me, ORC comes off as Slant Six making one of their SOCOM games and setting it during the events of Resident Evil 2 (and like you said, giving no fucks about the established canon), not the action shooter style of RE4 onward. I specify RE2 because outside of Nicholai, nothing else from RE3 gets mentioned in the main game outside of multiplayer options. I think the only reason some of the stuff in the game (barely) gets a passing grade is because it's ridiculous enough to qualify for a typical Resident Evil game.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Umbrella has a facility actually called "the Dead Factory". That is amazingly believable, given the company's history.

Less believable is the fact that cutting Raccoon City's power grid didn't cut the power to the Umbrella facility because it has its own separate power source. That is some bullshit right there.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

God, that dual Tyrant "boss battle" is such bullshit. I've seen videos of people attempting that fight solo, and it goes even worse than it did here. Tyrants only having one spot on their bodies (their heads) that takes anything resembling damage just makes it even more aggravating.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The really surprising part is, we managed to get through it first time.
Yeah, that surprised me as well, given how many times you lot have shot/blown up/stabbed/screwed over each other.

Then again, Lunethex thought ahead and brought the flamethrower.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

WitchFetish posted:

Yeah, that's one of the weird things about this LP, you are constantly talking about how the next encounter is pure bullshit or about how the incoming bossfight is near impossible, yet you always manage to breeze through it while also shooting/running into eachother.

I guess they really didn't balance it properly, it looks way too easy when 4 decent/good players barely work together, but solo is pure bullshit. Oh well, RE:ORC is basically "good idea, terrible execution" so there's no surprise.
Lunethex and co. also made the dual Tyrant fight easier thanks to a simple action: keeping the Tyrants separate from each other most of the time. Based on the videos I've seen, if you let them tag-team you, one can easily smack you into the other's charge attack for instance. Or you can be infinitely juggled back and forth by the Tyrants, to give another example I've seen.

But yeah, this game is heavily centered around co-op and the game's difficulty is clearly scaled that way.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Momomo posted:

Holy gently caress those Claire and Sherry models are bad. At least there was some fun with the glitches though, cause everything else looked pretty terrible.

So I don't know much about this game, where is the "meat" of it supposed to be? I can't imagine they really expected you to pay 60 bucks for just this.
I think Claire and Sherry (and Leon, as well) are ported over from Darkside Chronicles, but don't quote me on that.

As for your question, these past 7 videos ARE the "meat" of the game, since the USS are all you have at the start (aside from multiplayer) and Echo Six are a DLC campaign. Yes, Slant Six considers the USS campaign a "complete game". Even though both versions of the ending are very abrupt and don't actually wrap things up.

Lunethex posted:

I don't like how YouTube's page keeps getting worse as the days go on, I swear it is, so I'm going to add Polsy links to everything from now on. I've already added them for the old updates too.
I recommend the YouTube Center extension for either Firefox or Chrome. Easy to customize, and you get to fix or disable a lot of YouTube's recent changes (like DASH playback). However, if you don't want YouTube's stupid "theater mode" to bleed through the current release, you'll have to opt for YouTube Center's developer version.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mr. Soop posted:

Sadly I doubt that Capcom has enough sense to make a good move like that these days. At least Resident Seavil was pretty enjoyable.
They thought that having the player manually enable (and have it disabled by default) the pause function in RE6 was a good idea. I definitely think that Capcom's staff have nothing that resembles common sense these days.

The fact that Revelations turned as well as it did still amazes me. Yeah, it wasn't perfect, but compared to ORC and RE6, it was a drat enjoyable game that got the bare minimum of advertising (at least, compared to RE6).

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wow, that....that was some bullshit there. And I thought the dual Tyrant fight for the Wolfpack was the most bullshit the game throws at you in a single section.

On the topic of Carlos, it seems his voice actor here is Gideon Emery, who is a good voice actor. He must have just phoned in his Carlos performance for...whatever reason.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Singh Long posted:

Anyway, I'm happy I never caved in and bought this game and the DLC now that I know about what BS this game has. You have my condolences. I haven't had a chance to open my copy of RE6 yet, but at least I know that while that game does carry some controversy, at least it's far better than ORC and even I can't figure out how people can say 6 is worse than ORC with a straight face.
And that's why I never trust :airquote:video game journalists:airquote:. More often than not, their scores are the result of either trolling (in the case of the Destructoid reviewer mentioned in the video) or are all-but-bribed by developers to give their scores.

Derek Barona posted:

So basically, the "canon" fuckery in Echo Six is more or less stealing Jill's game. It IS just like the live action movies!
Hey now, if it was like the movies, we'd be playing as a single invincible Mary Sue (based on the director's spouse) tearing up things* with no multiplayer at all.

*=And by "tearing things up", I mean: "The plot is manually railroaded so the Mary Sue does every drat thing in the game".

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Well, that was a trip through bullshit and hell. Compared to USS, the final boss arena was (like most of the Echo Six campaign) annoying and more bullshit.

And it seems the "mess with canon" for the Echo Six amounts to: "We were in Raccoon, and we evacuated Leon, Claire and Sherry via helicopter instead of by train. Also, Birkin Forms 2-4 never get models becausedon't show up, so have a stupid looking mutated Tyrant instead for a final boss." Which, while more in amount of things presented, still feels less than what the USS got to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Singh Long posted:

I honestly think Slant Six somehow thought people wanted more of Lost Planet 2 seeing as how:

a. The boss is a large dark skinned monster with glowing orange/red weakspots that must be shot at.
b. Said boss takes forever to kill.
c. Having to constantly keep your eyes on the boss in order to survive
d. The boss fight takes place in a gigantic open space.

Seriously, why didn't Capcom just ask Slant Six to make Lost Planet 3 instead of Spark Unlimited?
My personal belief is that when Slant Six heard about the cast being elite military troop squads, they decided to make a game to fit the typical "Only two weapons, limited healing items, cover-based 'bro-ops' shooter" style games instead of fitting Resident Evil's more survival horror/action horror style. As a result ORC, when placed next to every other Resident Evil game, just looks and feels like it doesn't belong there. Seriously, RE5 introduced us to the BSAA, an elite military styled organization that is very much like what the Wolfpack and Echo Six are supposed to be on paper (minus the B.O.W. experience, naturally). Why not take the BSAA concept and rework it to fit the days of RE2/3? I honestly think that if Capcom was a little more hands-on with the game, this could have been less of a total disaster from a design and gameplay standpoint.

From a story standpoint.....I honestly have no idea what could be done to make things flow better. Considering that the hype was "You get to mess with canon" and very little of that actually happens, that's where I'd start. But after that, :shrug:.

• Locked thread