Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The Forest is a first person survival/horror/adventure/brutal murder simulator from Endnight Games, a four man indie studio based out of Vancouver.

The Forest released as an early access alpha on May 30th, with new updates coming fairly regularly. The point of the game is survival. This isn't the type of game where you can build a fully operational shotgun 10 minutes into the game.

In the forest you will most likely die, or survive long enough to see yourself become the villain (seriously). You'll emerge from a plane crash and right off the bat you'll need food, shelter, warmth, and to watch out for the terrible cannibal mutants that roam the titular forest. Crafting is still in its infancy, but the number of things you can currently build is impressive for an alpha.

Build such wonders as:

A cabin!

Terrifying effigies built out of your fallen foes to strike fear into the heart of the other indigenous murder cannibals!

A solid warning that really says don't gently caress with me.

The mutants seem almost as human as you are, they hunt, forage, and even worship at different times during the day. They'll send a scouting party once they know you're in the forest. They aren't immediately aggressive, and will instead observe you just to see what you're all about, which makes you wonder who the real monster in this forest is.

The interesting thing about this game is you can play it for as long as you want without the mutants even knowing you're in the forest if you're stealthy enough. The alternative is building up defenses to counter the scouting, and then hunting, parties that come for you. If you don't feel the urge to build a proper compound, of hide for your life, the third option is taking the fight straight to the labyrinthian cave systems the majority of the mutants call home.

Be warned though, the normal, human-like mutants that roam the forest are nothing compared to the horrors that live deeper inside the cave systems.

You can get The Forest right now on steam for the low low asking price of 15 american dollars. The developers haven't explicitly stated that the price will go up once the game begins to come together, but it has been hinted at a few times.

TRAILERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9mr4k9X6c8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwImGYR2rwg

LINKS

http://store.steampowered.com/app/242760/

http://survivetheforest.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I just picked this up after seeing it pop up on steam a few times. Now and then I take risks. I'm enjoying it so far and I like the promise it shows. It's fairly creepy without overdoing things. As with all alphas and early releases there's a lot to be done, and a fairly long way to come, but if you're a fan of survival sort of games, I don't think this is a miss.

Time to read Zinn
Sep 11, 2013
the humidity + the viscosity
There's another update coming out fairly soon, so buy it then. There are some pretty serious bugs/balance issues at the moment that make it not worth it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
This game is super buggy right now and a lot of things are broken or not implemented, but there is a ton of promise here. The enemy AI and animations are some of the most interesting and unnerving things I've ever seen in a video game.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Can anyone tell me if a fashioned stone axe is more effective than the one you get at the plane crash? I figure the one you get if you end up in the cave is better but I have yet to escape that place and tend to restart after that point.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Is multiplayer planned? Because this is basically the game I've been wanting to play ever since I came across my first spooky looking cave in Minecraft.

mythadile
Jun 19, 2005
That poo poo looks way to frightful. The birds flying off the pond looked pretty beautiful though.

Zoolooman
Mar 30, 2003

Fixed the tag.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

If this manages to stay away from MMOPvP poo poo, that'd be awesome.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

So far this game has a really amazing atmosphere and seems like it has a lot of depth considering it's only a first release alpha. The graphics engine can use a bit of optimization though, doesn't run particularly well unless I turn off some of the nice fluff graphics features such as motion blur.

Great experience so far overall though.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

That's the thing, I'm a sucker for early release games. Minecraft sold me on the idea of buying cheap early and following the progress of games as I continue to enjoy them. This is the first one I've been floored with out of the gate. Spacebase df-9 is coming along nicely but 5 alphas in is still struggling to represent the level of development The Forest has been showing me tonight. I can't say "i recommend it" because tastes vary and I'm a weirdly specific kind of person when it comes to the games I like.

This game sort of feels like the book Hatchet, except nobody is coming to rescue you and instead of wildlife you are dealing with murderous, stalking cannibals.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

If this manages to stay away from MMOPvP poo poo, that'd be awesome.

The developers have specifically stated they're going for like, max 4 players. They said they don't want to veer into DayZ type gameplay.

Edit: also thanks zoolooman for changing the tag.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Does anyone have a decent day 1-3 guide? I'm really, really getting my rear end kicked and no matter what I do it seems I have the violent attention of the natives before I can so much as build a shelter or campfire, much less traps or practical ways to deal with these assholes :argh:

The game is new enough that there just aren't wikis or concise information so anything that works for you guys is welcome advice.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
What the gently caress are those things in the caves?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

hemophilia posted:

Does anyone have a decent day 1-3 guide? I'm really, really getting my rear end kicked and no matter what I do it seems I have the violent attention of the natives before I can so much as build a shelter or campfire, much less traps or practical ways to deal with these assholes :argh:

The game is new enough that there just aren't wikis or concise information so anything that works for you guys is welcome advice.

When you start the game, be sure to loot all the booze and cloth you can find around the crash site. You can find cloth in the luggage outside the wreck. Open up your backpack, right click on the cloth, right click on the booze. You now have molotov cocktails. A single well placed molotov can triple-kill the small scouting parties you'll encounter early on.

I almost feel like spoiler tagging that, since it completely changes the dynamic of the early game. Mutants go from being inescapable horrors to just plain dangerous. I did have one mutant that I had set on fire insta-gib me by running into me at panic speed which sent me flying about 50 feet into the ocean. :v:

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Just want to say that this game is really good for being Version 0.01b and I'm surprised it isn't garnering more attention. I'm not saying it's worth $15, but the devs are to be commended for doing something fresh and creative with the open-world zombie survival horror genre. It helps that the "zombies" have intelligent AI and do freaky poo poo like climb trees or drag an injured comrade away from you while you're busy pummeling someone else. They flank you and gently caress with you and its great. The game even handles your inevitable defeat in an interesting fashion.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
To live make a minefield of fires at some location, fight and push them into fires for victory. If its not fixed yet use a regular stick because its the only weapon you can block with, you take no damage from any direction. If you die or find the other part of the plane you get the flare gun. Unless this has been fixed, equip flare gun, open inventory and equip flare gun again(yes equip it twice), a new flare gun will dupe to the ground, pick up the new flare gun, enjoy your flare machine gun with near-infinity ammo.

Last time i played, the cannibals would only spawn for the first day and then never return. looking forward for this game becomes something good.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I don't understand the point of some of the mutants having that instant-kill move- that charge thing some of them do. I don't feel it warrants a spoiler but let's face it, you decide to engage these groups early on you probably aren't going to survive. It's more of a last-hurrah sort of thing and the game manages to take even that away from you.

You're trying to Braveheart it and suddenly an rear end in a top hat slams into you at full force and you ragdoll across the map like you're wrestling a Skyrim giant. Seems really silly that patrol parties have this ability. Seems like something you'd save for the crazier horrors. people are mentioning.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I've never had any cannibals ragdoll me across the map, I just get hit so much that I eventually lose all my health. Now I run backwards through the forest and wack them if they get to close.

The cabin is worth building if you do it in the forest with a bunch of trees for logs nearby. Works well if it's built next to a cliff and then build a smalldefensive wall and a wall with a door to go around the front door of the cabin, then another ring of walls around that with plenty of fire sources. I've never had any cannibals make it inside my cabin like this. Build a hunting shelter inside the cabin so you can sleep and save. The cabin has no furniture and can't save by itself. Build one of those big fires inside near the door of the cabin. Place those standing torches in front of the windows, you can light them from inside the cabin.

One bug I've encountered is you will place something on the fire but you won't be able to eat it when it's done cooking. This bug is pretty gamebreaking because thats a major source of food.

Here's some starting tips:
1. Use your axe to break open all the suitcases around the crash site, loot everything
2. Head to the beach where there's a boat floating in the water, loot it and break open all the suitcases on the beach
3. Avoid building anywhere near effigies or any large weird looking trees, they're constantly patrolled by cannibals
4. Kill lizards and equip their hides to increase your armor plus you can cook and eat their meat
5. Pick a defensible spot to build your camp, and next to a lot of trees. It's tedious hauling trees to the beach.
6. If you do build on the beach, build at the base of a hill with trees on it so that the trees can be chopped down and their logs will roll down the hill to the beach

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I saw the Achievement Hunter Let's Play of this and it seems good enough to buy for 15$, especially if presumably it would get more expensive later.

What about building near the plane, bad idea? I assume they would go there first (the cannibals) but in the video 30 minutes in no cannibals happened upon the plane.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Mustang posted:

One bug I've encountered is you will place something on the fire but you won't be able to eat it when it's done cooking. This bug is pretty gamebreaking because thats a major source of food.

Are you sure that's a bug? I left a rabbit on the fire for too long once while I was chopping wood. When I came back it was charred black and I couldn't eat it.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I saw the Achievement Hunter Let's Play of this and it seems good enough to buy for 15$, especially if presumably it would get more expensive later.

What about building near the plane, bad idea? I assume they would go there first (the cannibals) but in the video 30 minutes in no cannibals happened upon the plane.

For my first play through I built a hunting shelter next to the plane and within five minutes a scouting party of two unarmed mutants (one male, one female) had found me. They weren't immediately hostile so I ignored them and went about setting up my camp. While I was collecting sticks the male mutant stepped on my camp fire and burned himself alive. The other mutant got scared and ran off into the woods. I was low on energy at that point so I decided to go to sleep and when I woke up there was a posse of 8 mutants armed with clubs waiting for me. :unsmigghh:

As a general rule you want your camp site to be in a defensible location that allows you to see raiding parties approaching before they're right on top of you. That's hard to do when you build in the middle of the forest.

One cool thing I've noticed is that once the mutants know where your home is they'll start to build effigies of their own nearby to intimidate(?) you. I built a little fort on the cliff that has their god tree on it because it was my eighth attempt and I was like loving bring it. After days of fighting I went down to the forest to chop wood when I noticed that the edge of the forest had been decorated with human effigies and totems that hadn't been there when I had started building.

So yeah this game is pretty neat and I hope it does well.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 13, 2014

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
You're right, damnit, 5 minutes in and 2 guys were lookin' at me. So I decided to sotp looting and wander off looking for a cliff.

Is there any way to pause the game?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Even in spite of the bugs this game is very well polished for a 0.01 alpha and it's well worth $15 just based on promise alone.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
How did I die trying to take an axe to someone's corpse? It's past midnight for me so I'll try this again from my save which wasn't too far gone but a few things bug me.

The Cannibals seem to find me really early, I wander around the island trying to find a spot and I lose to the RNG gods and run into a patrol who follow me for a bit, I lose them, find a spot next to a river where I have some highground near some trees.

That's where I make my camp but I barely have any time before a patrol finds me, they seem to run away but then when I sleep I wake up to three of them worshiping the pool of water near me (there wasn't a weirwood tree though!?) and at first I'm standing there for a while, I move a bit to gather some logs for my wall (really tedious) and then they notice me and attack?

I hold them off easily with my flare gun I found which I suspect has infinite ammo, but I was kinda hoping I would have more time than what I was given to get my bearings and fortify.

Am I doing something wrong? How do you make a compound without issue? Also why did I die to chopping my axe into a corpse or maybe a mutant snuck up on me with an arrow to the back?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Raenir Salazar posted:

Am I doing something wrong? How do you make a compound without issue? Also why did I die to chopping my axe into a corpse or maybe a mutant snuck up on me with an arrow to the back?

It sounds like someone snuck up on you. Are you sure you died?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sometimes the game's physics will bug out and momentum seems to multiply by an order of magnitude so that the gibs from the corpse bursting become high velocity, high mass projectiles hitting you at point blank range. That's probably why you died. The same bug effects the cannibal's leap attack and sprint state. Sometimes the leap will deal extra damage, and sometimes it punts you 100 yards into a tree. Like this.

As for being discovered, it's pretty much inevitable. The cannibals are everywhere and their patrol routes are very thorough. If you have the flare gun with infinite ammo then you're nigh invincible, so just go with the flow. One thing I like to do is finish building my basic four-walled structure before I sleep for the first time. That way I don't have to worry about waking up surrounded by a hunting party with no walls to protect me.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

See, I built my own effigy thinking they were supposed to be big gently caress-off displays of my raw power. After lucking out and having enough cannibal corpses to fashion a throne (a future feature or mod item, I hope), I made one and lit it on fire now and then.

Now, it was sort of strange because one or two of the cannibals did indeed become fairly docile unless I attacked them while around the burning effige, but they did not fear me or it, and instead gathered around it. Instead of their typical stalk, then attack velociraptor AI... But what is the actual point of building your own effiges? Are they not yet fully implemented?

CONVERT PDF TO WORD
Jul 7, 2003

You can make a bomb by combining coins, liquor and a circuit board, the only item that will take down superior mutants.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
http://survivetheforest.com/2014/06/sharks-rafts-roofs-bug-fixes-v0-02/

Alpha 0.02 is up. From the website:

quote:

New features and gameplay tweaks:

• Sharks

• Simple raft now buildable via book (No Sail yet!)

• Walls can now snap to form floors and roofs (experimental, can defy gravity)

• New suprise item added to yacht

• When being knocked out for first time you will now wake up in a random cave

• Lowered fall damage amount

• Birds can be killed with fire

• Stamina recharge now takes longer

• You can now block attacks with the red plane axe by holding down right mouse button

• Timmy taken scene a little more dramatic, better lighting, sparks

• Lowered intensity and range of fire light

• Lowered health on turtle

• Improved fish movement

• Increased range of lighter

• Enemies will drag downed friends out of danger again

• Females will sometimes freak out at dying family members

Performance:

• Improved load times

• Reduced stutter

• Overall performance increases

• Big memory optimizations, should help crashing on some pc’s

• Improved cave wall memory usage

• Dropped sticks and rocks are now pooled and shouldn’t increase memory over time

• Optimized hud rendering (10% faster on cpu)

World:

• Improved lake water swim zones

• Ocean swim zones now correctly rise and fall with tide

• Underwater visuals improved

• Improved terrain in some areas, reduced lumpiness in rocky area, fixed issues with caves poking through terrain

• Fixed super deep ponds that could kill players by falling into them

• Small old boat collision added

• Plane exterior collision added

• Improved balance on some grass textures (less bright)

• Lowered top heavy pine tree to be easier to cut

• Lots of small material/texture tweaks

• Sunset/sunrise made brighter

• Beach cave entrances made bigger and easier to enter

• Improved world collision in some areas

• Improved low resolution mountain textures

• Improved terrain rendering and missing specular

• Improved cave lighting and details (caves 4,5)

Bugs:

• Fixed countdown timer not taking different time zones into account

• Fixed some spelling mistakes in tutorials and in survival book

• Fixed shelter on fire spawning infinite logs

• Fixed bug where day count was 1 more than it should be

• Fixed issue where sticks,rocks and logs needed could go to -1

• Fixed not switching back to default weapon after holding lizard, rabbit or fish

• Fixed player not colliding with things tagged ‘Prop’

• Fixed light leaking into parts of some caves

• Fixed bug where you couldn’t cook multiple times on same campfire

• Fixed spear being able to cut down trees

• Fixed ponds flickering at certain distances

• Fixed some items not being saved in inventory when game is loaded (some might still vanish, expect more saving fixes/improvements soon)

• Fixed log holder not saving logs on load/save

• Fixed twinberries not having eat icon and having wrong leaf texture

• Fixed bloody tables in cave not being cut out of nav mesh

• Fixed lizard and rabbit skin triggers not being connected to ragdoll body

• Removed extra set of teeth and eyes appearing behind Timmy

• Chopping dead bodies no longer results in player flying into the air

• Animals no longer spawn multiple copies if on fire

• Cannibals shouldn’t run underwater or follow player out to the boat (they might run a little bit into water however)

• Fixed some bushes missing vertex colors when cut

• Fixed birds landing in sky, improved bird a.i. and performance

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 16, 2014

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Is there a way for me to skip the opening plane sequence? I am bad at video games and die a lot.

E: Also maybe turn off the tape player it would be good to know how to do that.

E2: Apparently, if you just let the tape player finish the song, it'll turn off automatically. I hope this is addressed at some point, because while it's helpful to play my Jock Jamz while I'm cutting down trees and such, sometimes it's maybe suboptimal to be blaring dollar store Pat Benatar at full volume while trying to creep away from crazy island people who want to eat my body.

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 17, 2014

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

So today I walked under the ocean and built a cabin underneath 7 circling sharks that never left. My cabin is some kind of modern art piece now. Also I hit a rabbit with a rock and flew 500 feet to my death. The patch fixed some things though, and I'm still having much fun.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
Is there any goal or direction for the player in this game or is it just like survival mode Minecraft?

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Fojar38 posted:

Is there any goal or direction for the player in this game or is it just like survival mode Minecraft?

Locate every body from the crash/save your son/don't die.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I'm tired of early accesses. Has the developer said when this game will actually be finished?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Untrustable posted:

So today I walked under the ocean and built a cabin underneath 7 circling sharks that never left. My cabin is some kind of modern art piece now. Also I hit a rabbit with a rock and flew 500 feet to my death. The patch fixed some things though, and I'm still having much fun.

Wait, you can build poo poo underwater and I'll be, uh, shall we say, oxygenated?

Fewd posted:

I'm tired of early accesses. Has the developer said when this game will actually be finished?

Oh, you cad!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Fewd posted:

The thing about early access is generally that it enables small groups of people to fund projects that would be typically near-impossible to otherwise make due to the way game publishers practically operate like hollywood does as a gatekeeper, as well as adopting strange or annoying trends like cash shops and day 0 DLC, or they try at every turn at least, and they don't take risks and they don't spend a dime on things like oddball survival horror purgatory island simulators.

This comes with that draw back, is that it's a small group of people, and things may be more unpredictable that aren't with titles that have big backers. That includes release dates. Even ballpark estimates are a stupid thing to expect under this model. Funding is unpredictable and funding easily dictates the pace of development. If you don't like the early access model then just don't participate. Don't whine about it, either. This is a reality of the system. If they've even offered a ballpark date, you shouldn't care or even expect them to keep it.

The game is cool though and it's going to be a fun ride watching it go from these first releases to the final 1.0 release, but that's not for everyone.

The game FAQ is here:

http://survivetheforest.com/faq/

Note the lack of release date. Most early access games that aren't trying to scam you don't even offer one. You either buy into this concept or you don't. You're welcome to watch and wait, and probably pay more, when the game is more feature complete to your satisfaction. I hope that me over-explaining this concept that you're tired of yet don't seem to have enough experience with to grasp helps! :tipshat:

edit: for the sake of honesty and fairness, there is also risk with these games and the hope is to get at least your money's worth out of the game as it's being developed. The Forest has done this for me, personally.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 17, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
How do you get medicine in this?

e: Apparently you don't and there's no way to get health back. Balls.

I loving love how you can totally pretty much be Arnold Schwarzenegger from Predator in this and set traps and cover yourself in mud. :getin:

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 17, 2014

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

SALT CURES HAM posted:

How do you get medicine in this?

e: Apparently you don't and there's no way to get health back. Balls.

I loving love how you can totally pretty much be Arnold Schwarzenegger from Predator in this and set traps and cover yourself in mud. :getin:

You get medicine from the locked luggage containers, also there is some in caves.

Doesn't sleeping or eating restore health too? Something did IIRC.

Edit: And I really hope we get resetting traps soon, I still lose most of my inventory when I load.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I tried starting twice and both times I ran into cannibals right outside the plane. The first time they just mobbed me and beat me unconscious and then I woke up in a cave, surrounded by more cannibals who beat me to death. The second time I booked it into the forest but they seemed to still be chasing me like 5 minutes later, so I turned to fight them and there was more beating/cave/death.

Am I doing something wrong here? I'd like to craft something but I can't even cut down a tree with these guys hitting me with clubs all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Molotovs, people! Molotovs are the great equalizer (the flare gun is the great imbalancer). You should be able to scavenge the materials for at least a half dozen from the wreckage.

• Locked thread