Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Noggle
Jan 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

I love this thread. :allears:

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
lol

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Wait how did nobody notice this for 4 days

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
jesus yeah how did this get no attention for 4 days.

we really are humourless assholes

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
its a mystery thread

put on your thinking caps

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Kewpuh posted:

Wait, how you did not make it a sticky?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

limaCAT posted:

Wait, how you did not make it a sticky?

Good question

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh hey a new stickied thread, I wonder what's

:haw:

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Spielberg wins E3!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Thanks for spoiling the end of that exclusive Xbox One documentary on the Atari E.T. game assholes! :mad:

In the OP no less! :argh:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I lost it at the Reeses.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

In a world full of ET's, one eggman manages to stand above the rest

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
holy poo poo, this is probably the best thread to come out of games in a long time.

:negative:

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Better than most of the actual poo poo at E3

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
This is pretty delightful.

However, I am now concerned about radioactive ET fallout.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Kewpuh posted:

Did you ever hear the urban legend about the time when the SomethingAwful forums had so many unread E3 threads that they had to bury them?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Give Pat a Job posted:

Better than most of the actual poo poo at E3

B-b-b-but the Nintendo Conference!!!! :downs:

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
I still don't see who this ever became an urban legend. It was known that the carts were dumped, there were several news stories about it at the time. It's a documented thing that happened, no need to dig up a landfill.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I Greyhound posted:

I still don't see who this ever became an urban legend. It was known that the carts were dumped, there were several news stories about it at the time. It's a documented thing that happened, no need to dig up a landfill.
People just had trouble believing it because it was so bizarre I guess, but yeah, I thought it was accepted fact until those dudes went digging.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I Greyhound posted:

The whole story of the E.T. game and the fallout afterwards sounds far too profoundly stupid to be believable. Games that do badly enough that they tank an entire industry are assumed to not have production runs in the millions. It became a legend because people just flat out couldn't believe that anybody would make a decision that would lead to a million cartridges of a lovely game that was rush developed in a few weeks to exist let alone all be in one place. Yeah, it was a documenting Thing That Happened but it read like a pretty standard poo poo That Didn't Happen.

The idea that out there, somewhere, there was a gigantic pile of hundreds of thousands of these things all in one place was just too much to believe.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The problem is that ET's production run being in the millions is literally what led to the video game crash. You're mixing the cause and effect - they overproduced so wildly, on so many games that nobody wanted, that stores just had tons of useless inventory. If that hadn't happened, the crash probably wouldn't have been as massive.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The idea that out there, somewhere, there was a gigantic pile of hundreds of thousands of these things all in one place was just too much to believe.
I wonder, if Apple buried their Pippins anywhere?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

The problem is that ET's production run being in the millions is literally what led to the video game crash. You're mixing the cause and effect - they overproduced so wildly, on so many games that nobody wanted, that stores just had tons of useless inventory. If that hadn't happened, the crash probably wouldn't have been as massive.

No, it wasn't. That's an often repeated line, but the game did not "literally" lead to the crash. At the very least, the crash really got underway in late 1983 and ET was released in summer 1982. It's hard to draw a line that connects the two. On top of that, why would the dramatic failure of one game lead to an entire industry collapse? That wouldn't affect third party developers or other console manufacturers.

ET was emblematic of the kind of thinking that Warner Brothers was doing that undermined the industry, but they had more than a year after it was released before the wrecking ball hit. You might say it was "figuratively" what led to the crash. If you want to blame a game, Pac-Man for the 2600 is a better pick since it was even more dramatically overproduced.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

:neckbeard: I thought something was missing this year.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
Holy crap I almost forgot about this time-honoured tradition. The ET 2013 thread was so good; thankyou for carrying the torch Noggle :)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

No, it wasn't. That's an often repeated line, but the game did not "literally" lead to the crash. At the very least, the crash really got underway in late 1983 and ET was released in summer 1982. It's hard to draw a line that connects the two. On top of that, why would the dramatic failure of one game lead to an entire industry collapse? That wouldn't affect third party developers or other console manufacturers.

ET was emblematic of the kind of thinking that Warner Brothers was doing that undermined the industry, but they had more than a year after it was released before the wrecking ball hit. You might say it was "figuratively" what led to the crash. If you want to blame a game, Pac-Man for the 2600 is a better pick since it was even more dramatically overproduced.
That wasn't clear, you're right, but I meant to say that ET's production run being in the millions is literally the sort of thing that led to the crash, it's exhibit A of the problems of the time.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
If I knew any puter languages besides 1990's HTML, I'd make an ET game. It'd be one of those hip, underground projects that no one knows about until the game's released (you know, so there's no C&D notice) and when it's finally released, people would rejoice in unison that it is "the best ET game." It'd utilize Havok, PhysX, Unreal engine, Crytek engine, the source engine, and blast processing, but only be released for the Net Yaroze. When Amblin Entertainment saw what I produced, they'd hook me up with Spielberg and we'd make a new Indiana Jones movie called Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I haven't written much of the script aside from Shia Lebouf (tentative) swinging on trees with CGI monkeys, but it seems like a good enough idea.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Random Stranger posted:

Except that was kind of where everything started. E.T. didn't cause it alone but it kicked off the whole mess in a lot of ways, lost a gently caress ton of money, and seriously damaged consumer confidence in video games. The industry response to "this stupid thing has severely harmed us" was literally "let's be EVEN MORE STUPID!"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

haha, that sure was a funny photoshop in the op, did you see it?

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Yeah, ET didn't kill the video game industry, It was the most visible symptom of the actual illness.
Atari had no security features in the 2600, so anyone could develop and sell a game. Anyone did, and there were walls at all the toystores completely full of poo poo games. When the NES revitalized the industry, the very strict licensing and security protocols were a major factor.

At the same time, management had fallen into the familiar conceit of "we decide what people will buy, "ET" is big in the movies, so it doesn't matter what the game is like"

They decided to make one cartridge for every 2600 ever sold, and then make about 2 million more for all the people who will go out an buy a 2600 so they can be ET!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Random Stranger posted:

Hm

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

forbidden lesbian posted:

haha, that sure was a funny photoshop in the op, did you see it?

no

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
The OP was loving funny and then some loving fucksticks decided to gently caress each other's ego to see which fuckstick had a bigger penis and was more loving right than the other loving fuckstick. loving nerds.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

lol

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

RIP console gaming, guess it's down to portables...and PCs...and arcades. Wait, why was the crash so bad again?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Mash posted:

holy poo poo, this is probably the best thread to come out of games in a long time.

Oh well, it only passed one year from ET 2013. :v:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554248
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3488837

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful, reeses pieces game confirmed.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
A good thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
goldmine

But how did you miss the reeses pope, cmon.

• Locked thread