Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Neighbor has a pit bull they keep as a guard dog, in spite of the fact that it's the 21st century and we have computer systems for that now. The dog is totally sweet and seems well-fed / taken-care-of, but the family literally spends no time with it and it just lives 24 hours a day in a blank, silent driveway in a quiet neighborhood in LA with no love, no attention, no social stimulation. They're not doing anything illegal, but something just tells me that dogs weren't meant to live that way. Is there something bad going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
North Carolina just passed a law where it is illegal to tie/chain your dog outside. You need to have a fenced-in yard to let your dog roam. Now I have no idea what your state laws are, but this is just to say that chaining a dog outdoors is not a great life for the dog. Unfortunately, unless you've seen evidence of actual abuse or serious neglect, theres not much you can do for the animal.

You could try going over while they're away and petting the dog, but I wouldn't recommend this because the dog may be aggressive and you just don't know it. Even if the dog was sweet as can be like you say, if something were to happen to the dog or to you, you could be blamed because you were trespassing.

My suggestion is maybe say something to the owners if you really want to do something. It may not do much but it's about the only thing you can do.

Hope this helps.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Unless the dog is lacking shelter and access to water, it's not cruel and it's not illegal. Talk to the owners, but they're probably just going to tell you to gently caress off and mind your own business because they're absolutely allowed to keep their dog however they like, especially if it's designed to be a guard dog in a rough area. That's literally the function of a guard dog.

Just because you'd like to see the dog getting attention and walkies doesn't mean that it's cruel to the dog, FYI. Pits are designed to live on chains outdoors, only getting worked when they are required, and pretty much all of them are dumb and happy as hell with that. Dogs don't quantify attention like we do. Sure, what they're doing is probably not what our society considers 'proper pet ownership' but a lot of that is furmommy bullshit that hurts more than it helps anyway. We'd all like to see every dog get special sweaters and treats and golden sunshine hugs but that's not the world we live in, and our culture of dog ownership in America does not reflect the world.

Talk to your neighbors, ask if you can take the dog for a walk every now and again and buy it a few toys. That's how you can help. Anything else is just hand-wringing nonsense.

• Locked thread