Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
Is it all possible to get the raw downloads? I don't have consistent internet access and youtube won't keep the entire video loaded for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

December Octopodes posted:

Is it all possible to get the raw downloads? I don't have consistent internet access and youtube won't keep the entire video loaded for some reason.

Not right now. I don't have the storage. Or does anyone know a reliable host that won't delete my videosthat allows to download the video. Because I'm not at all averse to offering a download. Been in your shoes once and had to download chip's and ironicus' MGS2 LP

E: I'm not at the computer right now and can't easily check but the Internet archive still allows everyone to upload stuff, right?

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 7, 2014

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Depending on the size of your files dropbox could work.
Or a youtube plugin to DL their version.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Zedd posted:

Or a youtube plugin to DL their version.
Yeah, I use Download Helper to download videos for offline viewing all the time, assuming you use firefox.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Aldia's Keep is the place where Aldia, the brother of Vendrick, hung out most of the time. If you're familiar with Seath just pretend that Aldia is basically Seath only he's called Aldia. He does much the same stuff. Which is experiment on things a lot to reach his goals. Oh yeah, he fucks around with the bodies of Giants. Gameplay-wise it's just a straight corridor with some enemies, though.

Finally we have Lucatiels Set. Not wearing the helm, though. Or the pants. But the Torso piece is pretty drat sweet lookin'. Though, in the video we are actually wearing the full set.

We are Sledgehammer Skeletor. Technically it's an anvil on a stick, which admittedly is way cooler than a sledgehammer but Anvil on a Stick Skeletor doesn't quite have that ring to it.

Guardian Dragon

While not as laughably easy as some bosses it will most likely only require you one try to either beat him or find out how to not die next time.

At first the dragon will be on the ground and you'll have a good chance to get in some hits. Then hey may fly up or remain down on the ground. If he stays down stay close to his legs (I prefer the left one from his PoV, but it doesn't matter). Just wreck his feet a bit and when he moves his leg up get away to avoid his stomp. Sometimes he'll move his head back to your location to bite you I guess. Just be aware that he can do it and then dodge or block if you can. Of course, you may not always be that close to him. At a distance he'll breathe fire at you but it's not very difficult to avoid.

When he flies up, there's a good chance he'll just cling to the walls and either shoot fireballs at you or beeathe fire. In either case it's best to stay far away and get to the opposite wall. Another nasty thing he can do is fly up and breathe fire downwards. As a general rule it is probably a good idea to run away when he flies up to avoid that. In my experience he rarely does that, though, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Now, as for the Lore it's debatable whether this is a drake (Dark Souls lame excuse to have dragons in a game where dragons are extinct) or an actual dragon. The answer may be neither but we don't have the information necessary to speculate on that at this point. Essentially you could say that this dragon is most likely born of Aldia's experiments but there's a tiny little bit more to it that I find pretty interesting. On the other hand, one of the weapons you get from his Soul is the Drakewing Ultra Greatsword the description of which refers to drakes. Knowing that Dark Souls II has quite a few translation errors it's possible that this is supposed to be a drake.

Boss Weapons
Soul of a dragon that guards the path to the shrine.
Do the dragons watch over the land of their own will, or are they in the grip of one of Aldia's spells?

Spitfire Spear

Trade Soul with: Ornifex
Moveset/Weapon Class: Spear
Physical Damage (+0/+5): 64 / 160
Fire Damage (+0/+5): 50 / 120
Scales with: STR (E), DEX (E), FIRE (C)
Requirements: 10 STR, 18 DEX
Damage Type: Thrust
Special Ablity: Heavy attack shoots fireballs.

In-Game Description:
A spear said to have been forged in Aldia. Contains the power of a great flame, which is unleashed in a strong attack.
The mysterious Lord Aldia secluded himself inside a manor to conduct various experiments. Those invited to the manor disappeared, replaced over time with malformed beasts that formed its halls.
Effect: special attack (strong attack)

Drakewing Ultra Greatsword

Moveset/Weapon Class: Ultra Greatsword
Physical Damage (+0/+5): 142 / 355
Scales with: STR (D), DEX (B)
Requirements: 20 STR, 18 DEX
Damage Type: Slash
Special Ablity: Heavy attack is a ranged attack.

In-Game Description:
A sword decorated with drake wings. Use strong attack to unleash its latent power.
The blade of this sword is split into two, and is best swung in smashing motions rather than slices.
Drakes are likely descendats of the ancient dragons, and although their strength pales in comparison to the what is described in legend, to mere humans they are still mighty beasts.
Effects: special attack (strong attack)

Item Descriptions

Lucatiel's Set
Worn by knights while on travel. Belonged to Lucatiel of Mirrah. Only those who have distinguished themselves on the battlefield were admitted into the elite ranks of Mirrah's official order of knights. It is common to hear of a peasant's dream of striving for knighthood as an escape from hardship, but who would ever think it possible?

Sunset Staff
A staff said to have been forged in Aldia. A catalyst for sorceries and hexes. Particularly powerful for casting hexes.
The mysterious Lord Aldia secluded himself inside a manor to conduct various experiments. Those invited to the manor disappeared, replaced over time with malformed beasts that roamed its halls.

Aldia Key
Key used in the mansion of Aldia.
King Vendrick condemned his own elder brother to the mansion.
They both sought the truth, but through different means, and their fervor meant the eventual withering of their familial ties.

Sorcery: Soul Geyer
A secret art unleashes a gush of souls.
The homing soul mass pierces its target, then hits repeatedly for additional damage.
This blasphemous spell is a family heirloom of Lord Aldia's. It was designed to pummel foes until its power is entirely exhausted.

Malformed Shell
One of the malformed weapons developed in Aldia.
Swung like a great hammer. Appears to be a fragment
of a giant shell, but its precise origins are unknown.
The peculiar figure known as Lord Aldia attempted to
uncover the secrets of life itself, and viewed the Undead
as a key to this mystery.

Black Witch Set
Dark Souls II: Robe worn by Zullie the witch, seducer of Alva the Wayfarer. Boasts excellent magic defense.
When Zullie the witch learned of Alva's dedication to Saint Serrate she used all manner of tricks and deceit to ruin him, but in the end she would spend her life with him, supporting his endeavors.
Dark Souls II: Cloak of the rogue witch Beatrice.
Almost all magic users that employ catalysts studied at Dragon School, but Beatrice is one of the few exceptions. She braved the Abyss but did not live to tell of her ordeal.
Note: In Dark Souls this was called the Witch's Set

Dispelling Ring
A protective ring set with gemstones of four different colors. Increases the wearer's resistance to magic, lightning, fire and dark.
The artistry required to attune the varying powers of four different stones within one ring could only be described as transcendental.
There is only one sorcerer who could have done this; a man from the lost land of OlaphisA protective ring set with gemstones of four different colors. Increases the wearer's resistance to magic, lightning, fire and dark.
The artistry required to attune the varying powers of four different stones within one ring could only be described as transcendental.
There is only one sorcerer who could have done this; a man from the lost land of Olaphis
Note: One of the rewards for Navlaans "assassination" quest
Bring Navlaan a ladder miniature by either Killing Gilligan or just buy one from Gilligan.

Forbidden Sun
"Pyromancy developed in Aldian rites.
Fires a giant fireball with a widely encompassing explosion.
What could possibly justify such excessive destructive power? In all likelihood, the madmen of Aldia never even questioned the need.
Bring Navlaan a Sunset staff by either killing Felkin. Or get it from him by having 20 FTH and 20 INT. OR, just freaking find it in a little deeper into Aldia's Keep.

Chaos Set
Robes worn by a chaos sorcerer.
He calls himself Navlaan, now.
Bring Navlaan the Aged Feather by either killing the Emerald Herald or by getting it as a gift from the Emerald Herald when you meet her at the beginning of Dragon Aerie immediately after fighting the area boss of Aldia's Keep.

In case you're wondering, there's another person Navlaan requests you kill. It's Cale. Navlaan basically wants his helm. Cale will just give it to you when all eight flames on his map are lit. This is always happens after beating the final boss. So feel free to come back to Cale after beating the final boss before starging New Game+ to get the helm. However, this is the second person Navlaan wants you to kill, if you want later rewards earlier just kill Cale. Like, really. Just kill him. The reward Navlaan gives you is only a Simpletons Spice, though.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

A thought had occurred to me looking at both Dark Souls games: Was there any indication that new souls were created in the start of each cycle? Or that with each passing cycle there are fewer and fewer souls to go around?

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
There is three minutes of nothing at the end of the video.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I saw the door trap coming my first time through and felt really smug until it took me ten tries to get past it anyway.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
A couple things missed/incorrect in this episode:

-There's a Fire Seed to the right of the first staircase leading up to the mansion.
-The ogre you unpetrified has a guaranteed drop of the Dragon Acolyte Mask.
-The Lion Clan enemies in the Shaded Woods have 85% resistance to all elemental damage types, not just magic. All elemental damage types are going to run into spots or areas where they're disadvantaged, whether areas with a bunch of resistant enemies or bosses who have high resistances on top of their blanket 15% elemental damage reduction. Fewer things resist dark compared to other damage types, but few things are actually weak to it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Aldia's Keep just isn't memorable for me, the Dragon Skeleton at the start and Ogre's smashing through the walls are kinda cool but otherwise, it's just a tiny version of the Duke's Archives from DS1.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I found the place more annoying than anything, really. I'm kinda glad you never have to revisit it once you access the bonfire up by the Emerald Herald.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Main Game:
01 Things Betwixt
02 Majula
03 Forest of Fallen Giants Pt. 1
04 Forest of Fallen Giants Pt. 2
05 Forest of Fallen Giants Pt. 3
06 Heide's Tower of Flame
07 Huntsman's Copse
08 Harvest Valley
09 Earthen Peak
10 Majula - No Man's Wharf
11 Shaded Woods Part 1 - Part 2
12 Iron Keep Part 1
13 The Lost Bastille Part 1 - Part 2
14 Iron Keep Part 2 - Lore: Gwyn, Lord of Sunlight
15 Majula - Undead Purgatory
16 Grave of Saints and Doors of Pharros
17 The Gutter
18 Black Gulch - Lore: Nito, First of the Dead
19 Belfry Sol and Luna
20 Sinner's Rise - Lore: Witch of Izalith
21 Brightstone Cove Tseldora Part 1
22 Brightstone Cove Tseldora Part 2 - Lore: Seath the Scaleless
23 Majula - Drangleic Castle
24 King's Passage
25 Shrine of Amana
26 Undead Crypt
27 Aldia's Keep
28 Dragon Aerie
29 Dragon Shrine
30 Memories
31 Dark Chasm of Old
32 YOU DIED! - PvP
33 Throne of Want - Boss Weapons

From here on out for the DLCs there will be separate episodes for the NG++ run. They tend to cover the entire DLC in one video most of the time and are more humorous than informative. Instead of an episode number, they'll simply be noted by a ++

DLC - Crown of the Sunken King
34 Shulva, Sanctum City
35 Dragon Sanctum
36 Cave of the Dead
37 Dragon's Rest
++ True Canon

DLC - Crown of the Old Iron King
38 Brume Tower
39 Scorching Iron Scepter
40 The Left Hand
41 Iron Passage
42 Memory of the Old Iron King
++ Pun Counter
++ Flair vs. Sting

DLC - Crown of the Ivory King
43 Frozen Eleum Loyce
44 Aava, The King's Pet
45 Snowball
46 Four Knights
47 Frigid Outskirts
48 The Old Chaos
++ The Dungeon

Finale
49 Scholar of the First Sin
++ King of the Ring - CO-OP Death Reel

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 28, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I got a weirdly Monster Hunter vibe from the guardian wyvern fight, which made me wonder: do monsters have a lot of separate anatomical locations in this game, with like different properties on each one or something? Or is it just like, front of monster, back of monster, optional weak point?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The only enemies to have more than 1 target spot are ones with large tails like the Dragons/Wyverns, or another appendage, like the Last Giant, but these are the exception to the norm, most enemies only have a single point to lock on to.

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!

IGgy IGsen posted:

I've uploaded the first couple episodes due to popular demand (one person). I noticed there's some weird gltiching going on in the first couple seconds of some of the videos when viewing them online in the browser but they seem fine on my computer. Let me know if there's something unbearably wrong with any of the files I've uploaded should you choose to download them. If all else fails I'll have to check my encoding settings or upload the slightly higher quality version with a bitrate that's actually too high for that kinda video.

Anyway, the op will only feature the main videos. This post will also feature supplemental ones, such as the lore vids. This post will also be linked in the op next to the playlist.

01 Things Betwixt
02 Majula
03 Forest of Fallen Giants Pt. 1
04 Forest of Fallen Giants Pt. 2
05 Forest of Fallen Giants Pt. 3

E: I'll have to re-upload the files anyway due to the way internet archive handles things. I've been uploading them kinda wrong.

Wooooo! Looking forward to this.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

re-uploading and further uploading of downloadable episodes will be postponed because I'll most likely get an internet upgrade very soon. May also allow me to stream the Fight Club for those not participating after all.

Two episodes at once for two short areas, originally intended to be released separately but I got them both done in time so here they are. They both have the word Dragon in them that's how you know it's a fantasy game. You can actually run through both areas combined in 5 minutes tops provided you know where to go. Which I usually do because I'm not too fond of them.

Havel's Set along with the Dragon Sage Hood. Also rocking the Zweihänder, and I missed my opportunity to pronounce that weapon's name to show you all how it's done! More importantly, though, we're using the Gyrm Greatshield which is one if the best Greatshields in my opinion. It has really high stability and the defenses aren't too shabby either.

That Big Guy with a Mace
I believe I may have hyped that guy up a little too much in my video. It's not that he's ultra hard it's just that he's not fun to fight due to his ludicrously fast recovery from his swings. It's the guy from Heide's Tower of Flame but he hits harder and more.

Ancient Dragon

This absolutely friendly and explicitly non-hostile beast is hanging out at the end of the dragon shrine, waiting to impart some of that dragon wisdom dragons are so famous for in those fantasy novels where dragons can talk. Well honestly, to say he imparts wisdom is giving him a little too much credit. It's more like cryptic ramblings and then he gives you an item called the Ashen Mist Heart the item description of which goes as follows:

Manifestation of ashen mist received from the ancient dragon.
The magic of the ancient dragon allows one to delve into the memories of the withered.

Now, what the gently caress is this and why did he give it to us? I don't think I have a satisfactory answer to either of those questions. The immediate first conclusion most souls lore crazies, including myself, would jump to would be that it has something to do with the ash left by the first flame or one of its possibly numerous rekindlings that happen across the years. But the part where it tells us that it allows us to delve into the memories of the withered is an important clue if you want to make further progress through the game. If you don't read that you will not even have a shadow of an idea on what to do next. We are of course going to see what to do next in the next episode.

The ancient dragon, though, may or may not be an actual dragon. At the very least we can say that it was most likely artificially created. By Aldia, who else? The biggest clue you will get for this is that you will receive the Soul of a Giant (and nothing else) if you defeat the Ancient Dragon (the fact that there is no other reward is why it's considered a waste of time to fight the dragon). We know that Giants took the role dragons had in the first game. It's either that dragon souls and giant's souls are identical or Aldia recreated the ancient dragon from the bottom of Brightstone Cove Tseldora using the souls of giants. After all we can see the corpses of giants in his mansion. Furthermore: Aldia has disappeared. Some believe he turned into Navlaan, others believe that he himself became the ancient dragon as a result of his experimentation. Which means he achieved what Seath never could. Take that Seath!

Now, okay, should you decide to fight the Ancient Dragon despite the reward not being worth it (Giant's souls have one use aside from the souls you get from them and you technically don't need a single one, but more on that later into the LP) there's something that you should be aware of: It's gonna be a long fight. The ancient dragon has a lot of HP (about 20.000 if the wikis are to be believed)

It does enough fire damage to kill most characters outright. While it's possible to beat him without getting hit (which is what I tried to do) it's probably smarter to get your fire defense as ludicrously high as possible. I'm talking really high. 1000 means you're immune, but getting that consistently is not really possible. Stuff like Flash Sweat coupled with good fire resist and maybe a good shield (Gyrm Greatshield) might do the job, but I've not tested this.

He's a really easy boss if you can take more than one hit. His most dangerous attack is flying up and breathing fire downwards. Which covers a large part of the arena. He will move while in the air and it's difficult to predict where he's gonna move and whether it's going to be save where you're headed. If you stand in front of him he will either start moving his wings and do that attack or start breathing fire, in which case you should get close to his front legs. He'll then follow up by flying up again. This is something that you can repeat until you kill it. Or you get unlucky and it kills you.

Another popular strategy is to stay near his hind legs (pick one). You can attack it a couple times and he will then try to stomp you, which pretty much just means that you should run to safety. Staying there unfortunately does not remove his downward fire breath from the equation. He'll still do that. Apparently he can also do physical attacks with his front legs, but he's never done that to me.

If you want me to defeat the Ancient Dragon I'll do it but be aware that it's essentially just going to be what you've seen in today's video only repeated a couple times and in the end I'll be rewarded with something we don't really need.

Item Descriptions

Dragon Tooth
Dark Souls II: A giant dragon tooth used as a great hammer. As solid as a boulder, this tooth is said to be taken from a dragon, but the truth of this claim is unclear. What is certain is that is bears some mystical power, and its wielder gains resistance to magic and fire.
Effect: resistance to magic and fire
Dark Souls: Created from an everlasting dragon tooth. Legendary great hammer of Havel the Rock.
The dragon tooth will never break as it is harder than stone, and it grants its wielder resistance to magic and flame.
Note: The dragon tooth from the first game is indeed unbreakable, the one from the second game is not.

Black Dragon Greataxe
In legend, this oddly-shaped greataxe is said to be forged from the Black dragon's tail.
As it is told, the Black dragon lost its tail to a brave warrior in a magnificent battle, and the tail was later used to forge several legendary weapons
Note: A rare drop from those dragon armor knights. The black dragon referenced in the description is probably Kalameet from the first game's DLC. When cutting off his tail one could obtain the Obsidian Greatsword. Tail chopping in general was a thing you could do in Dark Souls to get weapons. Not so much in Dark Souls II, though.

Watchdragon Parma
A shield decorated by intertwined dragons.
The black and white contrast depicts the ebb and flow of the fate of all things living and the serpentine dragons that watch over the march of time.
The bearer of this shield will be blessed by great fortune in battle.
Note: This is one of the shield design contest winners. It features primordial serpents from the first game (pic). Serpents are considered imperfect dragons by some logic within the lore. In the first game Kaathe and Frampt are the two serpents who directly interact with the player. Although the former will only ever talk to you if you don't talk to Frampt. The idea is they oppose each other somehow but in the Dark Lord ending where you refuse to link the fire it's revealed that they apparently don't actually work against each other. Or are they? No clue. It's one of the biggest mysteries as far as I'm concerned. In Dark Souls II they don't show up. Or do they? There's certainly characters who fill their roles. The Emerald Herald, like Frampt, wants you to succeed the current ruler while Nashandra is like Kaathe in that she essentially wants you to become a Dark Lord.

Third Dragon Ring
A dragon signet ring.
Grants its bearer the protection of dragons. Increases HP, stamina, and maximum load, but is easily broken.
Raulmond, knight of Drangleic, served the king by guarding the fort until his own demise, and was said to have cherished this ring throughout his life of service.

Judgment Set
Dark Souls II: Robes honoring an ancient goddess. Sin was said to be her domain, but the name of the goddess is long forgotten.
Little is known about what purpose the robes, only that it was worn by a person of great authority.
Dark Souls: Robe worn by pardoners serving Velka, the Goddess of Sin.
The pardoners' attire is uniformly black in color and said to be imbued with Velka's mystical power, which provides resistance against all manner of magic.
Mask worn by pardoners serving Velka, the Goddess of Sin.
The pardoners listen to the confessions of sinners, urging reflection and salvation. Their masks symbolize separation from
worldly desires.
Note: Velka, sadly, is something that appears to be completely lost in time by the time Dark Souls II rolls around. Out of the deities that weren't that important and thus not really fleshed out she was the most interesting one.

Petrified Egg
A large petrified egg. Surely bears no life.
Eggs are vessels that harbor life itself, and symbolize the deepest secrets of existence. But what does a petrified egg harbor?

Ashen Mist Heart
Manifestation of ashen mist received from the ancient dragon.
The magic of the ancient dragon allows one to delve into the memories of the withered.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 13, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh you can get to 1000 fire resist. It just involves some DLC delving, choice armor picks and a magic build because elemental resists gained from pure stats are not negligible.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

You can summon Vengarl for the Ancient Dragon, but that will only make you know the true meaning of pain, Vengarl usually dies instantly to the fire attacks, leaving you with an Ancient Dragon that has boosted HP, turning an already long fight, into the worst experience ever.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
You can also summon DS2's callback to Maneater Mildred (I think she's Matilda this time?), only for the Ancient Dragon. It's one of the biggest trolls in the game: she can barely hurt him, and having both phantoms doubles his as-mentioned insane HP for basically no benefit.

Dragon Aerie is kind of a weird area too. Like you said, there's not really much to it (I'd honestly go out on a limb and say I like Demon Ruins + Lost Izalith more than Dragon Aerie + Shrine for endgame content, and them's fightin' words); it's basically just an exercise in finding uses for your Bonfire Ascetics and ways to fight dragons without getting hit, since pre-DLC it was the only reliable place to get twinklies and petrified bones en masse.

But yeah, good stuff as always, Iggy. :) I don't have the PC version, just PS3; but I'd definitely sit in on a Fight Club stream.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Please don't do it. Also nice sword at the end. Is that a DLC?

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Wayne posted:

You can also summon DS2's callback to Maneater Mildred (I think she's Matilda this time?), only for the Ancient Dragon. It's one of the biggest trolls in the game: she can barely hurt him, and having both phantoms doubles his as-mentioned insane HP for basically no benefit.

You're not meant to take her into the boss arena. She's there to help you climb the steps, and does a great job at that.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I actually did not know about either of those summons.

It never occurred to me that there might be summons there, honestly. So I never looked for them. I also wouldn't use them, seeing as I normally just run through there.

Wayne posted:

Dragon Aerie is kind of a weird area too. Like you said, there's not really much to it (I'd honestly go out on a limb and say I like Demon Ruins + Lost Izalith more than Dragon Aerie + Shrine for endgame content, and them's fightin' words)
Yeah, I feel the same way. Even though Izalith is pretty bad. At least Demon Ruins are okay. I'm not a fan of Aerie/Shrine myself. I'm also not a big fan of the next bit. The endgame is a little lackluster. Some say this is also true for the first game, but I'm of the opinion that this only applies to Lost Izalith and the Bed of Chaos.

For the DLC I'll get summon help for the co-op areas, by the way. And that'll be recorded on PS3. So people on PS3 will be able to help out there. X360 players are out of luck, though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh you can get to 1000 fire resist. It just involves some DLC delving, choice armor picks and a magic build because elemental resists gained from pure stats are not negligible.
You used to be able to get there even pre-DLC with some fire resist from armor, the "wet" status, and the multiplicative boost from Flash Sweat. But you can't any more, because player elemental defense is now capped at 990 (890 visible plus the hidden 100).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Paracelsus posted:

You used to be able to get there even pre-DLC with some fire resist from armor, the "wet" status, and the multiplicative boost from Flash Sweat. But you can't any more, because player elemental defense is now capped at 990 (890 visible plus the hidden 100).

...huh.
But i think the DLC stuff allows it passively, no need to reapply flash sweat or burrs.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

AstroWhale posted:

Please don't do it. Also nice sword at the end. Is that a DLC?

Do you mean my glowing blue dildo? That's actually Saint's Row 4 footage.

I haven't used any DLC stuff in the LP yet because neither of those two characters have been in the DLCs yet.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So notes about the Ancient Dragon:
-He will not do the same thing twice.
-The switch between the hindlegs pro strat only works if you stay on the front of the outer toes.
-He is weakest to dark
-he gives out an absolute ton of souls.

And hes very sensitive in the nails and face. Those are his weakest points.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 15, 2014

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The Ancient Dragon becomes one of the easiest fights in the game if you have Gower's Ring of Protection. Pop a Bonfire Acetic in the Shaded Woods, pick it up on the corpse is appears on, and there you have it. The ghost that piggybacks you will tank a bunch of "back" attacks before it breaks, so just face away from the dragon when it does its flame attack and it's no big thing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Blind Sally posted:

The Ancient Dragon becomes one of the easiest fights in the game if you have Gower's Ring of Protection. Pop a Bonfire Acetic in the Shaded Woods, pick it up on the corpse is appears on, and there you have it. The ghost that piggybacks you will tank a bunch of "back" attacks before it breaks, so just face away from the dragon when it does its flame attack and it's no big thing.

Um...what.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Tae posted:

Um...what.

There is a piggybacking ghost ring in Dark Souls 2:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm saying "what" because Gower was nerfed like 5 patches ago to stop being invincible.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tae posted:

I'm saying "what" because Gower was nerfed like 5 patches ago to stop being invincible.

It really wasn't. You still only take ~5-10% damage from attacks from the back.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Tae posted:

Oh. I haven't played it since those patches were applied.

Genocyber posted:

It really wasn't. You still only take ~5-10% damage from attacks from the back.

If this is the case, then my point still stands.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

With the Ashen Mist Heart in our possesion we can now enter the memories of some old beings that have died a very long time ago. Funnily, we can take stuff out of those memories, don't ask me how that works. Don't ask anyone. There IS something that I completely forgot about again. You can find the Steel Armor Set behind a hidden door in the room with the Pharros trap contraption.

Dark Armor and Imperious Helm. As our weapon we are using the Curved Dragon Greatsword (not pictured here), which is also a boss weapon discovered in this very video. So check out its details below.

Our Involvement with the Memories
Keep in mind that even though we are walking through the memories we are not actually involved in the actual events that have transpired ages ago. So no, the one killing giants is not us but some other badass. We are just slipping into their shoes for the duration of the memory. (except there's a theory that claims it's the player character who has been alive all this time ago and is only retreading their own steps. Turned undead afterwards and forgot everything, as is common with those afflicted with the curse). And since we're inside it and memories are known to be lying bastards sometimes we can't guarantee that our actions are the exact same things the unknown hero did. It's also very likely that we enter the memories of the Giants we find the Souls of, which means we are living through the memories of someone who was already dead at the time they took place. Which doesn't make any sense of course. Much like Benhart being in one of them. He has no way to get into them. Which might mean that our own consciousness affects the memories we visit. Which makes SOME sense of it. This, of course, is only my interpretation of the whole thing, but it's something I bring up mainly to make people consider the fact that a) It's memories, not time travel and b) No matter how you spin it it doesn't mace sense. c) It's totally okay because memories don't need to make sense. d) Why can we pick up objects from within the memories and take them out of it? We are conjuring something from the thoughts of a being that has died long ago.

Navlaan is a Dick
Just sayin'

Giant Lord

The Last Giant on steroids, essentially. He has very similar moves but is more powerful and faster. It's almost as though this actually IS the Last Giant but there's nothing that really confirms or denies that. It's possible that after defeated the Giant Lord retreated to the arena where we fight him.

The fight itself isn't too difficult. You can cheese him with ranged attacks by just going up the stairs and shooting at him. Just dodge every time he swings at you. You can also go in close. In that case I find it easiest to go in and hit him a couple times and then retreat and bait his overhead swing. If you stay close he'll do a close range sweep, which can seem like it comes out of nowhere, but if you're confortable looking up to dodge that stuff feel free to just stay close.

His clothes look kind of similar to Gwyn's from the first game. They aren't the same, they just look similar. But since Gwyn's City, Anor Londo was a city of Gods and Giants it's possible that Giants somehow idolize Gwyn and the deities of Anor Londo and dress like them. Unlikely to be the case but fun to think about. Also, the Giants then may be completely different beings than the Giants in this game

Giant Lord Soul
Soul of the Giant Lord, who once conquered Drangleic.
The Giants landed on the northern shores, and set siege to King Vendrick's castle to claim an invaluable prize.

Repel

Trade Soul with: Straid
Magic Type: Hex
Requirements: 35 INT, 27 FTH
Description: Makes one invulnerable for about 1 to 2 seconds. I'm not sure if it's actually useful.

In-Game Description:
A hex that distorts local space.
For a brief moment, no damage can be inflicted.
The hexer Gilleah took no apprentice, and it is unclear how his spells were passed down. It is possible that hexes originated from another source altogether.
Catalyst: staff

Ancient Dragon's Soul
Soul of the great ancient dragon that stands magnificently, deep within the shrine.
This powerful being stands and waits, for whoever may visit him.
Use the dragon soul, created by those who peered into the essence of the soul, to acquire numerous souls, or to create something of great worth.
Note: This reads as though it was originally supposed to be dropped by the Ancient Dragon in Dragon Shrine. The Dragon there, though, only drops a Soul of a Giant. To get the Ancient Dragon's Soul w e go through a memory and grab it from a dragon that actually probably died during the dragon genocide. The entire scene of the memory seems to imply this.

Curved Dragon Greatsword

Moveset/Weapon Class: Curved Greatsword
Physical Damage (+0/+5): 160 / 400
Scales with: STR (C/B), DEX (S)
Requirements: 30 STR, 18 DEX
Damage Type: Slash
Special Ability: Heavy attack is a ranged attack.

In-Game Description:
A curved greatsword forged from the soul of the Ancient Dragon.
In the Age of the Ancients, the world was unformed, shrouded by fog. A land of grey crags, archtrees, and everlasting dragons."
Effect: special attack
Note: The description quotes the very first words spoken in the first Dark Souls.

Item Descriptions

Steel Armor Set
Dark Souls II: A relic of an order of knights said to be the mightiest warriors of their time.
Dark Souls: Armor of the Knights of Berenike, known for their heavy armaments and armor.
Countless Knights of Berenike, once extolled as the mightiest of mighty, became Undead and ventured to Lordran. But their journey was for naught, as they went Hollow and became a threat to all Undead.

Giant's Kinship
Each King has his rightful throne. And when he sits upon it, he sees what he chooses to see.
Or perhaps, it is the throne, which shows the king only what he wants.
Note: We can enter the final area at any time after getting the King's Ring, but this item is needed to actually make the final boss appear.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Seeing more of what goes down in those memories was pretty cool. The time limits made me feel rushed and I couldn't really do more than get those Giant's Souls and get out.

Odd question: how were you planning going about showing off covenants and their related PvPs and whatnot? I'm getting kind of excited to see the horrifying visage of my character in the thread. :dance:
:ssh: her name is Chad

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

liquidypoo posted:

Odd question: how were you planning going about showing off covenants and their related PvPs and whatnot? I'm getting kind of excited to see the horrifying visage of my character in the thread. :dance:
:ssh: her name is Chad

I already have some footage for that, aside from our two bouts. The video showing off some PvP will either be uploaded together with the next video, or the one after that depending on when I can be arsed to do some more PvP for some of the covenants to record it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Giant King being the Last Giant makes a lot of sense, and explains why he flips the gently caress out at seeing you, going so far as to rip off his own arm to use as a weapon.

Dark Souls lore is kind of like a completely messed up jigsaw puzzle. You can find two pieces that fit perfectly together, but they don't always form a coherent image.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Nov 22, 2014

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Originally I did mean to announce this a little bit in advance but I just recorded the first DLC, Crown of the Sunken King, so if anyone's willing to do co-op with me for the co-op area I'm game. You don't even need the DLC to help me. Just go to the end of Black Gulch, and enter the DLC Lobby. You'll find these weird statue things and tiles on the ground. Place your summon signs there and I may summon you.

Name-engraved Ring is set to Quella, God of Dream
Like last time, this I'm on PS3
Soul Memory is around 3 Million currently first two signs I see get summoned.

If I don't get two people then I'll just do what I originally planned: Set this up in advance.

E: All right, waited about 45 minutes without anyone showing up. Let's do this some other time then and announce it a little bit ahead of time! As I planned originally.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 23, 2014

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Yeah, I'd love to get in on that but didn't see this in time. What SM are we talking here?

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

IGgy IGsen posted:

Soul Memory is around 3 Million currently

:sweatdrop:

And for anybody who doesn't already know, check out the soul memory tier system. It's weird, but long story short is that if you sync up Name-Engraved Rings, anywhere from a little under 2 to up to 12 million SM should be fair game.

Oh, almost forgot, Iggy-- I assume with that high SM this is your NG+ character? Just checking since they keep people at any cycle after the first from interacting with people still in a new game.

If it's cool with you, I think I'll go ahead and stream the co-op (if I end up being one of the guys you summon); I was still wanting to do some practice editing footage from OBS and our hard drive failure wiped the Demon's Souls stream. Do you have an idea of when you might want to try setting this up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Actually it's NG, I forgot to mention. It's a little higher than it would be usually because I went through the main game fairly thoroughly. First time I went to the DLC I had about 1,5 million. The Name-engraved Ring should allow me to summon anyone who's strong enough to actually be of any help, though.

The NG++ Character may not even go to the co-op areas.

I might try again in the coming week or maybe next weekend, but announce that I'm gonna do it at least a day before.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Nov 23, 2014

• Locked thread