Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Yeah Elana kicked my rear end all over the place for quite a while until I managed to beat her, just barely, the main reason I found her hard is that she's primarily a ranged boss and loves to teleport to the far corners of the room, or behind you and smash you with her axe, Velstadt was a huge pain to deal with, I usually just bring in a human phantom to deal with Elana while I deal with the big guy, either with kiting or just kill him.

EDIT:

IGgy IGsen posted:

:vince:(OH MAN, LOOK AT THAT WE'RE DOING A FIGHT CLUB (on PC)! CLICK HERE TO JOIN!):vince:

And this concludes the first DLC! Well, not quite. There's still an NG++ video coming up, but we'll have to do commentary on that one first, hopefully in the future I'll be able to upload the NG++ videos at the same time as the final video for each of the remaining DLCs go up.

Way more info than last time this time around. Mostly because the DLC saved all the bosses for the end, but also because I decided to save all the item descriptions until now.

Elana, Squalid Queen

Elana is probably the hardest fight of this first DLC, possibly the second hardest of all three DLCs but, of course, your mileage may vary on that one. I think she's a pretty fun fight myself. She's got a couple of swings with her axe and she can use a couple of basic projectile magics too. Of course there's the mandatory Affinity (basically Dark Soul Mass).

But if it were for only that she would be nothing special. Her most dangerous trick is to summon other enemies. She can some one of three sets of enemies. She can summon three skeletons with scimitars and shields. They can be pretty annoying. It's best to take them out before going for Elana again but some like to leave one skeleton alive to prevent her from summoning again. But keep in mind that she can still summon even if you leave a skelly alive. It just appears to be way more unlikely. Normally after killing whatever she's summoned she'll summon again after e relatively short while.

But anyway, there's skeletons. But she can also summon FREAKING VELSTADT HOLY poo poo drat. Actually, don't freak out. I personally find her Velstadt summon easier to deal with than three skeletons. Mostly because he's one tough opponent instead of three weak ones that have a tendency to slowly circle around you blocking constantly. Velstadt has less health here and doesn't power up. So, you may now ask "why's he here". The simplest and most likely answer is probably that Velstadt is originally from Shulva. Shulva is a place of faith and worhip and Velstadt seems like just that kinda guy.

Lastly, she can summon three little piggies. Never happened to me, though.

Elana is another fragment of Manus aka a Child of Dark. Where Nashandra embodied Manus' desire/want Elana represents his Wrath. No the theme here is not "seven deadly sins". That's kind of overdone anyway.

Soul of Elana, the Squalid Queen
Soul of Elana, the Squalid Queen, who rests beside the sleeping dragon of the Eternal Sanctum.
This child of Dark accompanies the dragon, slowly amassing souls in anticipation of the coming day of vengeance.

Wrathful Axe

Trade Soul with: Ornifex
Moveset/Weapon Class: Halberd
Physical Damage (+0/+5): 275/330
Scales with: STR (B-A), DEX (C)
Requirements: 20 STR, 22 DEX, 28 FTH
Damage Type: Slash, Thrust

In-Game Description:
An armament forged from the soul of Elana, child of Dark. Use strong attack to unleash its latent power.
When the Abyss dissipated, the things that called it home were fragmented and scatered across the realm. Eventually these pieces regained form, in ways that hinted at humanity's true nature.

Sinh, the Slumbering Dragon

Finally, the dragon we've seen all over the place! Well... only twice actually. First just before the first bonfire and then before the entrance to the dragon shrine to roast whatever's on the bridge. Because every Souls game needs a bridge roasting dragon. It's the law.

But now to the fight: Sinh will always start out resting in the back of the arena. You may not even notice him at first but he'll make sure you notice him rather quickly anyway. He'll roar out to breathe fire and then charge at you. This initial charge can be dodged easily and net you a few easy hits. After that it's no longer scripted.

Sinh has this tendency to just fly up and go airborne. Sometimes he does it more often than others. If you're unlucky he will do it a lot. He has two attacks when flying. He can spit a toxic fireball your way. It'll do fire damage on impact and leave behind a poison cloud. His other airborne attack is just him diving down in your direction. Both attacks are dodged by running perpendicular to his attack, in case of the latter you can follow him and go in to attack him.

On the ground he can do a couple more things and, frankly, he's more dangerous there. In front of him he can attack you with his front claws, charge at you (that charge either comes with a him attempting to punch you in the face or ramming you with his neck... or both) He can also breathe fire. His fire breath attacks are probably the best time to attack. He can either breathe fire with his head closer to the ground or by standing up on his hind legs. In that case he'll also hit a little behind him so it's safest to go for his tail (which you can chop off)

There's also that thing where he will just spin around and whip you with his tail. He'll sometimes follow up with a second spin in the other direction.

When behind him he can do some more stuff. Generally he has a chance to stomp a bit no matter where you are but it's more likely when behind him. Hey may also turn his head around and just breathe fire at you. The best way to deal with that is to look out for his head. Whenever you notice him rearing back just get away to the other side and carry on. I'm not sure but he may only start doing this once his health is down the halfway point.

Generally I find it easiest to go for his hind legs and just attack them until he starts moving in a suspicious manner.

The Lore behind Sinh is that he was a dragon who was just sleeping in Shulva so some crazies led by the sunken king decided to worship this sleeping beast and built a shrine and entire city around him. Eventually the Drakeblood Knights led by Sir Yorgh came around. Yorgh poked the dragon with his spear which is the exact point in time when he found out that the dragon was filled to the brim with a deadly poison that engulfed the entire city and killed it. We can find Yorghs Ring in Sinh's boss room, this, of course implies that Yorgh died on the spot but more importantly, if you look at Yorgh's Ring you can see that it actually features the crest of Drangleic. That means that Vendrick had some reason to go down there. Possibly to gather dragon info for his brother Aldia and his wacky experiments. Perhaps also to get the Crown of the Sunken King. Who knows?

Soul of Sinh, the Slumbering Dragon
Soul of Sinh the Dragon, who sleeps in the lowermost depths of this land.
The King erected a magnificient city, and the dragon slept soundly. Until Sir Yorgh disturbed it with a single great strike, and the dragon could bear its store of poison no longer. The rain of death toppled the city, but restored the dragon's purity.

Yorgh's Spear

Moveset/Weapon Class: Spear
Physical Damage (+0/+5): 214/300
Scales with: STR (C-B), DEX (B)
Requirements: 30 STR, 25 DEX
Damage Type: Thrust, Slash

In-Game Description:
Spear wielded by Sir Yorgh during his invasion of the Sanctum city.
After his defeat of the Sunken King, Sir Yorgh pierced Sinh, the sleeping dragon, with this spear to claim its blood.
But Sinh immediately awoke, spewing a poisonous fog that blanketed the city in death, and Sir Yorgh disappeared in to the Eternal Sanctum.

Item Descriptions

Focus Souls
An ancient sorcery of Shulva, the Sanctum City.
Fires a focused beam of souls.
The development of sorceries was stunted in Shulva, as they were considered taboo.
Even so, there were some occasional gems created by a group of enthusiasts.

Promised Walk of Peace
A hex created from an ancient miracle of unknown origin. Slows the walking pace of its caster and those in the vicinity.
To stand and glare at one another, steaming with ire and wrath, but without making a move.
Such is the nature of peace.
Note: There was a miracle in Dark Souls called Tranquil Walk of Peace which basically had the same effect.

Sanctum Mace
A mace wielded by sanctum soldiers.
This mace was corrupted by poison when Sinh, the sleeping dragon, awoke.
A mere mortal would be asphyxiated by the poison emitted when wielding this, but for the noxious sanctum soldiers, this fact matters none.

Sanctum Crossbow
Crossbow wielded by sanctum knights. Strong attack fires dark bolts.
These guardian knights were sentenced to eternal stewardship of the Sanctum in a clandestine ritual carried out in the great depths, but today the sanctum receives nary visitor.

Sanctum Shield
A shield with a curious design.
One of the treasures of the Sunken King. A mixture of mystical tree branch and sacred chime iron allows this shield to serve as catalyst for miracles and sorceries. Most of the miracles and sorceries created in the Sanctum City were lost, but the quality of their armor and shields suggests highly advanced craftsmanship.

Puzzling Stone Sword
A sword with a segmented blade.When swung its segments separate and the sword strike in a whipping slash.
Crafted with rare magnetic stone of remarkable strength only found within caves of the gutter.

Denial
An ancient miracle owed to the cardinal of Shulva.
Challenge fate one time when HP reaches 0.
Originally intended to grant the dying a few moments for a final farewell.
Note: There is a miracle in Demon's Souls called Second Chance. It will also revive you upon death.

Flynn's Ring
Ring of Flynn, the infamous thief.
Utilizes the strength of the wind, such that lower equip load proportionally increases physical attack.
Flynn was known as a tiny fighter who packed a mighty punch.
Even the most skilled warriors in the land failed to capture him.

Eternal Sanctum Key
Key to the inner chamber of the Eternal Sanctum.
The Sunken King erected the Eternal Sanctum to shelter Sinh the Dragon.
The sanctum appears to be a solemn temple, but it is filled with devilish creatures that ensure no trespasser shall cause offense.

Sanctum Knight Set
Armor of the Sactum Knights.
The Sactum Knights renounced their own flesh to eternally guard the sactum from Sir Yorgh and his Drakeblood Knights.

Drakeblood Greatsword
Greatsword wielded by the Drakeblood Knights, led by the honorable Sir Yorgh. The insignia chiseled upon its hilt symbolizes dragon's blood.
To the Drakeblood Knights, fresh dragon blood was sacrosant. They believed that by obtaining it, they could achieve a true understanding of life, transcending their own banal existence.

Drakeblood Set
Armor of the Black Drakeblood knights, who came from a land long forgotten.
The Drakeblood Knights, who worshipped the blood of dragons, were led by Sir Yorgh in a siege of the Eternal Sanctum, but sunk into the Sanctum when the sleeping dragon awoke.
The red cloth wrapped around the black armor represents the sacred blood of dragons.

Yorgh's Ring
Ring of Sir Yorgh, who sought the blood of a dragon and invaded Shulva.
Can deflect spells.
When Sir Yorgh faced Sinh, the slumbering dragon, he drew blood with a flash of his steel, but Sinh responded by spewing forth the poison that had long brewed within him, blanketing the city in a miasmic cloud.

Crown of the Sunken King
Crown of the Sunken King who once ruled this land.
The King erected the Eternal Sanctum below the earth to worship the great dragon, but the towering bulwark crumbled with the city shortly after the dragon's awakening.
But these were events of long ago, and today, no one even remembers the King's name.

Dark Greatsword
Hex adapted from an ancient sorcery. Brandish Dark like a sword.
By its nature Dark is normally tranquil, but this hex releases a focused blade of Dark in an uncharacteristic flash of brilliance.

Brightbug
A tiny bug that produces light.
Brightbugs are said to comfort the dead, and are found in the marshlands leading to the Undead Crypt. By ingesting a brightbug just before death, the moment at which they glow most brightly, one attains great power for a short time.
Often utilized as a last-resort for adventurers who have lost their way.
Has no effect in other worlds or for phantoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Forbidden is the path
to the ancient king's domain

Trespassers will face
adversity befitting a monarch

With water dry, and path amiss,
woeful temptation is dismissed

In the tower of the Old Iron King
resides a Child of Dark

Crown of the Sunken King is the second of three DLCs and is the only one tied directly to a characters we already knew. The Old Iron King. It's supposedly located some place close-ish to Iron Keep but it's not like they put it on the map that came with the game. And it's also not like that map is worth anything considering it shows Iron Keep being south of Earthe Peak even though it's clearly above it.

This DLC, in my opinion, is a step up in terms of difficulty compared to the Sunken King DLC. Basic enemies aren't really tougher but much faster and there's some more variety concerning the major enemy types. This DLC also has the hardest boss of all the DLCs and according to most the hardest boss of the game. It's also the only DLC with two co-op areas. One of which actually kind of has a co-op gimmick. Due to being set in a tower the Level design in the DLC is more vertical than other places in the game.

Overall I'd say this DLC is the weakest of the three, but still hella good and better than large portions of the main game.

The Old Iron King:
As far as I can tell the Iron King wasn't a particularly influential or even successful ruler at first. He did some things sure, but he did some things but he apparently tended to overspend which left his entire kingdom in a weak state, though it may have grown because of some conquest he was left with very little afterward. At some point a knight from the east appeared. That Knight was Sir Alonne. We don't know why Alonne decided to side with the Iron King or how the two met exactly but over time Alonne became the Iron King's right hand man. But let's be clear here: By that point the Old Iron King was not the Old Iron King yet. He had no Iron. And along came the Scorching Iron Scepter

Scorching Iron Scepter
A scorching-hot iron scepter.
Used to activate contraptions by
transferring heat to Brume Tower.

When the Old Iron King wrested this
dilapidated region from kingdom
of Venn, the act required all the resources
the enfeebled lord could muster. But with the
discovery of this iron-producing miracle,
he was reborn as a powerful leader.

To say that this item description tells the rest of the story would be a happy ending and this is a Souls game, there never is a true happy ending. With the power to produce iron, seemingly without limit, he was invigorated and grew more and more powerful. I created a castle made of iron we know as the Iron Keep. It was probably then that Drangleic was being attack by giants and the Old Iron King allied himself with Vendrick and sent his Ironclad warriors to help fend off the Giants. But then again, the Old Ironclad set's description tells us that they came from Drangleic Castle and quietly assumed their positions. So perhaps Vendrick and the Iron weren't allies after all, but Vendrick came across the Iron King's lands long after he was gone and took his Ironclad, which were nothing more than animated sets of armor.

At the high-point of the Old Iron King's rule Sir Alonne left. We don't know why exactly, but the descriptions of the Alonne Knight set pieces imply that he just wanted to head out and see other lands. We will be able to uncover a little more about that later into the DLC but right now we'll leave it at that. After Alonne's departure, though, the Iron King named his Knights Alonne Knights in honor of Sir Alonne. We can see them everywhere in Iron Keep.

The Old Iron King went mad with his iron creating power and there's even talk about an iron dragon being created. Alas, there's no dragon made of iron too be found anywhere. Unless we are talking about a less literal dragon. As we know the Old Iron King met his demise when he created or awoke the Smelter Demon, a mass of Iron that we can assume was in some way possessed by the Chaos Flame the Witch of Izalith kindled originally. If only due to the fact that it's called a demon. It may very well be possible that the Smelter Demon was always there, at least the description of the Smelter Demon's Soul suggests that "The Old Iron King's life was taken by a mass of iron that had been given a soul. Was this metal goliath here from the beginning, or as it a product of the king's conceit?".

So yes, the Old Iron King was killed on the spot as soon as the Smelter Demon showed up, and the Smelter Demon kept haunting what remained of the Iron Keep until we came along to kill it.

The Iron King then must have sunken into what presumably is molten Iron where his dead scorched body made acquaintance with Gwyn's Soul to become the big Diablo thing that hid away at the end of Iron Keep. And then, once more, we came along to put an end to it.

And now we're here in this huge tower the Old Iron King built at some point. And I think we're killing some more things here too, so that's nice. I guess.

Fume Knight

Ladies and Gentlemen, here is what I believe to be the hardest boss in the game. The Fume Knight will materialize seemingly out of thing air to grab his sword shortly after entering the arena. Good luck!

The Fume Knight is actually Raime, the left hand of King Vendrick. Velstadt being the right hand. Eventually the two of them had some disagreement we know nothing of. In the end Raime picked the short straw and left Drangleic to end up in Brume tower where he chose to aid Nadalia.

Fighting Raime is no easy task because he can easily switch from fast straightsowrd swings with his right and to slow and devastating greatsword swings with his left hand and the other way around. Both arms have a backhand attack that comes out really quick, so strafing him in either direction can be dangerous and at the very least you should always block unless you are trying to regenerate stamina. He has a variety of swings with both hands which you'll have to learn to anticipate and dodge. The fact that he can use either hand and any point is what makes things difficult here.

Once down to roughly half health, sometimes sooner or later, he'll switch to his second phace. Some believe the switch to the second phase is tied to how often he uses his greatsword because it tends to heat up which is actually a visible effect. But this is most likely not true at all. I've had him his greatsword almost exclusively and he never switched to the second phase. I also saw him use mostly his right hand and he switched over early. If the second phase is easier to you, as it is to most people, you can just wear any part of Velstadt's set. This will piss Raime off enough to just power up immediately after entering the arena, giving you a little more time than usual to get in hits at the start.

The second phase is a little more varied in terms of attacks. While he's only using his Greatsword now he has a couple more tricks to look out for. There are the typical swings and thrust combos. If you feel confident you can get in a hit after he finishes but be aware that he'll sometimes follow up with a delayed attack. Either that or he hops away when you're too slow. His big overhead swing as well as the single thrust are pretty good spots to attack, but again, if you're not fast enough he may follow up with something fierce. When he rams his sword into the ground run away before the AoE blast happens and then stay away. You'll see a couple orbs come from him in every direction. You can try and run through an opening but it's probably better to dodge through there.

The best opportunity to get in hits, though, is his big-rear end flame swing. It's a very powerful but also very slow attack and a really long range. If you are close enough at the start-up of the animation just strafe and dodge to his left side and go behind him. If he's already mid-swing it's safest to dodge twice to the right to end up behind him. If you dodge only once he'll most likely still hit you. You can also try to dodge through the attack mid-swing but since the attack is very slow your time has to be more precise than when dodging through other attacks. The time your hitbox overlaps with that of the swing will be longer and even with higher adaptability you may get hit if your invincibility frames don't line up correctly. I might make that sound harder than it is, but I also found that method to be not reliable enough, so I use the other two methods, which are safer in my experience.

Soul of the Fume Knight
Soul of the fume knight that guards the dungeon of Brume Tower.
Raime was a distinguished knight who became infatuated with the Bride of Ash, and settled in this land of smoke and fog.

Fume Sword

Moveset/Weapon Class: Straight Sword
Physical Damage (+0/+5): 107 / 140
Dark Damage (+0/+5): 47 / 70
Scales with: DEX (C-S), DARK (C)
Requirements: 15 STR, 22 DEX
Note: This weapon has superb range and is probably the longest straight sword in the game.

In-Game Description:
Straight sword forged from the soul of the fume knight, and imbued with the Dark of Nadalia.
The exile swordsman Raime had the ability to expunge the black fog, but chose instead to live alongside it, in the company of the child of Dark that haunts this sword.

Fume Ultra Greatsword

Moveset/Weapon Class: Ultra Greatsword
Physical Damage (+0/+5): 307 / 430
Scales with: STR (S), DEX (D)
Requirements: 40 STR, 30 DEX
Note: This sword is decent for blocking too, it has 80% physical damage reduction.

In-Game Description:
Ultra Greatsword forged from the soul of the Fume Knight.
The Exile swordsman Raime had the ability to expunge the black fog, but chose to live alongside it, in company of the child of dark that haunts his sword

Smelter Demon

Yeah. This time he's blue.

Other than that he has pretty much the same moves. Only some of them have a little more of a delay to it. He's essentially designed to screw with you for thinking it'll be the same as the original Smelter Demon. This one also appears to do magic damage instead of fire. There really isn't much else to say about him, really.

Smelter Demon Soul
Soul of the Smelter Demon, that haunts the castle that sunk into a pool of iron.
The Old Iron King's life was taken by a mass of iron that had been given a soul. Was this metal goliath there from the beginning, or was it a product of the king's conceit?
Note: This is the exact same description as the other Smelter Demon's Soul. In fact it is another copy of the same soul. You can use either the original Smelter Demon's Soul or this one's to make the following weapon, but you'll have to defeat the Blue Smelter Demon first before unlocking the ability to do so.

Aged Smelter Sword

Trade Soul with: Ornifex after defeating Smelter V2
Physical Damage (+0/+5): 140 / 350
Magic Damage (+0/+5): 100 / 170
Scales with: STR (D-C), DEX (D), MAG (C)
Requirements: 40 STR, 10 DEX

In-Game Description:
Ultra greatsword crafted from the soul of the smelter demon.
It's blade is imbued with a great flame. Use the strong attack to unleash its latent power. When the old king acquired the power to grant life to heaps of iron he molded a great array of metallic automatons. The iron monstrosity itself was perhaps one of the king's puppets.

Sir Alonne

Alonne, the Old Iron King's former right hand. The lore we know tells us that he set out to explore different lands. The Memory of the Old Iron King tells a different story. But why do the two fight? We don't know. Check out this video by VattiVidya for better told version of the entire tale of the Old Iron King as well as Alonne.

But now to the clash of the two: After standing up Alonne will attack immediately. Most of the time he'll charge, other times he'll fire a projectile at you. It's best to just run up to him to get in a quick hit before he starts his thing.

Alonne is a pretty straightforward boss as far as bosses go. Some of his attacks are tricky to dodge if you're not used to them. The charges in particlar, because they have a variable timing depending on the distance. While it's not easy you'll eventually get a feel for it and you'll bait his charges to get in hits because they have a long recovery time.

Other than that he has some swings and thrusts at closer range but two attacks stand out: If he does a thrust with a darkish glow to it just get away. If he hits you with it you'll be impaled on his sword lifted up and smashed down. This is rarely lethal at this stage in the game but not something you want to happen either, because he'll get an attack boost for a minute or so after stabbing you. Alonne has another attack with the same glow. It is a slash that actually shoots a very damaging projectile.

Soul of Sir Alonne
Soul of Sir Alonne, who once served the Old Iron King.
Sir Alonne came from an eastern land, and became the King's most trusted knight.

Bewitched Alonne Sword

Moveset/Weapon Class: Katana
Physical Damage (+0/+5):
Scales with: DEX (B-S)
Requirements: 22 STR, 30 DEX
Ability: Pressing L2/LT will drive the sword through your own stomach at the cost of health and durability to greatly increase the swords power.

In-Game Description:
Katana forged from the soul of Sir Alonne.
The captivating, undulating design serves to enhance this weapon's mystical allure. Alonne came from the east, and soon became the Iron King's most trusted knight. When he departed, the Old Iron King bequeathed Sir Alonne's name to his iron warriors.

Soul of Nadalia
Soul of Nadalia, Bride of Ash, who renounced her flesh and wandered Brume Tower. In the act of dancing, the Bride of Ash was transfigured as smoke, enticing people to her residence.
And so her seat of power came to be known as the Brume Tower.
Note: So, Nadalia actually has dialogue as I pointed out in two of the videos, but it's incredibly hard to make out and people have come to very different conclusions on what she actually says. Here's a reddit thread with one way to interpret things and here's a video with some more. Some of the are wildly different. The latter should give you a chance to make up your own mind, though, becaus it actually features the sound clips.

Outcry

Trade Soul with: Straid
Magic Type: Pyromancy
Requirements: -
Description: Another version of Firestorm only the flames are darker. Also possibly deal Dark damage at least in part.

In-Game Description:
A pyromancy of Nadalia, Bride of Ash. Spouts multiple Dark flames.
This chlid of Dark, bearing inconceivable strength, found herself in a kingless land devoid of souls. And in journeying there, has all but condemned herself to a fate most wretched.

Chime of Screams

Moveset/Weapon Class: Sacred Chime
Physical Damage (+0/+5):
Scales with: LIT (B), DARK (B)
Requirements: 26 FTH
Damage Type: Lighting, Dark

In-Game Description:
Sacred chime forged from the soul of Nadalia, Bride of Ash. Nothing appears sacred about the frightful design of this chime, but it does have the benefit of raising one's faith.
The oozing, frozen iron forming the bell seems to anticipate a scream.

Item Descriptions

Smelter Wedge
An iron wedge forged in this land. Destroys the ashen idol.
The ashen idol is of great consequence to Nadalia, who, having renounced her flesh, entrusts her very being to it.

Fragment of Nadalia's Soul
Soul of Nadalia, Bride of Ash, who renounced her flesh and wandered Brume Tower.
When Nadalia came to this land, the king she sought was no longer there. Dispirited, she forsook her own soul and clung to the heirlooms of the old king.
This is only a fragment of a soul, and cannot be used in this state.

Dance of Fire
Pyromancy created by the magus Eygil, loyal follower of the Old Iron King. Cast flame in a sweeping motion across a targeted area.
The fire seems to dance, and makes its victims dance with it.

Fire Snake
Pyromancy created by the magus Eygil, loyal follower of the Old Iron King. Creates several pillars of flame in front of the caster.
Eygil sought to grant fire a will of its own. This pyromancy was conjured up to behave like a snake, writhing toward its prey, with a mind to strike.

Recollection
Hex created by the children of the Dark. Fire multiple Dark orbs that seek their target
Hexes that grant a fleeting volition to Dark have existed from ancient times, and it appears that the children of Dark have some recollection of the creator of these spells.

Tower Key
Key that opens the door to Brume Tower.
Long ago, the tower used to produce a seemingly endless supply of iron. The King used it to create iron soldiers and an iron castle. Legend has it he even tried his hand at forging a dragon out of iron.

Crown of the Old Iron King
Crown of the Old Iron King who once ruled this land.
The King sunk below the scorching iron, met the one whose name must never be repeated, and became Ichorous Earth.
But these were events of long ago, and today, no one even remembers the King's name.

Hollow Skin
A hood imitating the head of a Hollow.
Provides curse resistance, and makes it easier to detect messages from other worlds.
Finely crafted to perfectly imitate the head of a Hollow, only without the abhorrent stench.
Whoever created this was surely deeply respectful of those lost to Hollowing.

Baneful Bird Ring
Ring of Raime the traitor.
Reduces stamina loss when blocking with a shield.
Raime was an agile swordsman who served King Vendrick, but after resigning from his post, he reconsidered his way of life and was born again as a stalwart warrior.

Pharros Mask
A mask depicting Pharros' contraption.
Tears flow from the eyes of this mask, drenching its wearer.
The majority of Pharros' creations are perplexing to reasoned men, and this mask is no exception.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 16, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The first bonfire in the Brume Tower tends to be a prime spot for invasions, everytime I've gone there I've had an invasion and died since I'm bad at PvP, and there's a lot of ways to fall to your death in this DLC.
As for the bosses of this DLC, I have somethings to say about them alright, I probably died to the first one more times than every other boss in the entire game put together.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Regarding the Sunken King DLC, there may be the possibility of the Drangleic contingent trying to kill Sinh itself, either for the Dragon's Soul, or possibly to make sure it does not cause woe to Vendrick's domain. I'm more inclined to believe the former in this case due to the idea that Elana had been trying to slowly siphon Sinh's power for herself.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

In case any of you are into that and have some time to kill in roughly an hour there's a Dark Souls II Speedrun coming up next at Awesome Games Done Quick in about 45 minutes.
http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

:vince:(OH MAN, LOOK AT THAT WE'RE DOING A FIGHT CLUB (on PC)! CLICK HERE TO JOIN!):vince:
I'll want a few more people to join the Fight Club before I'm ready to do it but If you already signed up lemme know whether the 24th or 31st is better for you this month. Probably around 22:00 GMT+1. I kinda need you people to commit to showing up. Can't very well announce it to have like... two out of seven people show up.

Today we are making our way through the rest of the first half of the Iron King DLC. Once we're done with that it will open up considerably and we can explore the rest of the tower at our leisure. So while we're here, Let's talk a little more about the Old Iron King, since we actually do already know stuff about him and I didn't go over some of the stuff we can learn in the main game.

The Old Iron King:
As far as I can tell the Iron King wasn't a particularly influential or even successful ruler at first. He did some things sure, but he did some things but he apparently tended to overspend which left his entire kingdom in a weak state, though it may have grown because of some conquest he was left with very little afterward. At some point a knight from the east appeared. That Knight was Sir Alonne. We don't know why Alonne decided to side with the Iron King or how the two met exactly but over time Alonne became the Iron King's right hand man. But let's be clear here: By that point the Old Iron King was not the Old Iron King yet. He had no Iron. And along came the Scorching Iron Scepter

Scorching Iron Scepter
A scorching-hot iron scepter.
Used to activate contraptions by
transferring heat to Brume Tower.

When the Old Iron King wrested this
dilapidated region from kingdom
of Venn, the act required all the resources
the enfeebled lord could muster. But with the
discovery of this iron-producing miracle,
he was reborn as a powerful leader.

To say that this item description tells the rest of the story would be a happy ending and this is a Souls game, there never is a true happy ending. With the power to produce iron, seemingly without limit, he was invigorated and grew more and more powerful. I created a castle made of iron we know as the Iron Keep. It was probably then that Drangleic was being attack by giants and the Old Iron King allied himself with Vendrick and sent his Ironclad warriors to help fend off the Giants. But then again, the Old Ironclad set's description tells us that they came from Drangleic Castle and quietly assumed their positions. So perhaps Vendrick and the Iron weren't allies after all, but Vendrick came across the Iron King's lands long after he was gone and took his Ironclad, which were nothing more than animated sets of armor.

At the high-point of the Old Iron King's rule Sir Alonne left. We don't know why exactly, but the descriptions of the Alonne Knight set pieces imply that he just wanted to head out and see other lands. We will be able to uncover a little more about that later into the DLC but right now we'll leave it at that. After Alonne's departure, though, the Iron King named his Knights Alonne Knights in honor of Sir Alonne. We can see them everywhere in Iron Keep.

The Old Iron King went mad with his iron creating power and there's even talk about an iron dragon being created. Alas, there's no dragon made of iron too be found anywhere. Unless we are talking about a less literal dragon. As we know the Old Iron King met his demise when he created or awoke the Smelter Demon, a mass of Iron that we can assume was in some way possessed by the Chaos Flame the Witch of Izalith kindled originally. If only due to the fact that it's called a demon. It may very well be possible that the Smelter Demon was always there, at least the description of the Smelter Demon's Soul suggests that "The Old Iron King's life was taken by a mass of iron that had been given a soul. Was this metal goliath here from the beginning, or as it a product of the king's conceit?".

So yes, the Old Iron King was killed on the spot as soon as the Smelter Demon showed up, and the Smelter Demon kept haunting what remained of the Iron Keep until we came along to kill it.

The Iron King then must have sunken into what presumably is molten Iron where his dead scorched body made acquaintance with Gwyn's Soul to become the big Diablo thing that hid away at the end of Iron Keep. And then, once more, we came along to put an end to it.

And now we're here in this huge tower the Old Iron King built at some point. And I think we're killing some more things here too, so that's nice.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 13, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Either date is good for me.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Genocyber posted:

Either date is good for me.

Same.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
Ditto

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Those Exploding guys are the worst, I've died a few times to their bellyflop attack which does a surprising amount of damage, as well as being caught in the blast when they blow up.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Now that we activated Brume Tower with the help of the Scorching Iron Scepter we are free to explore the rest of it. Well, most of the rest of it. There's a lot and not all of it fits into this video. Plus we'll wanna fight That One Boss. The one who seems to give people the most trouble no matter their skill level. Then again, I know someone who had no trouble with him whatsoever and instead fails to beat the first boss of the next DLC to this day.

Also:
Please sign up for the fight club if you wanna fight some people for a couple hours. No pressure to be good or anything either. We don't have nearly enough people to actually do it yet, though. So if you have time on the 31st of January then join us. Also let me know

Fume Knight

Ladies and Gentlemen, here is what I believe to be the hardest boss in the game. The Fume Knight will materialize seemingly out of thing air to grab his sword shortly after entering the arena. Good luck!

The Fume Knight is actually Raime, the left hand of King Vendrick. Velstadt being the right hand. Eventually the two of them had some disagreement we know nothing of. In the end Raime picked the short straw and left Drangleic to end up in Brume tower where he chose to aid Nadalia.

Fighting Raime is no easy task because he can easily switch from fast straightsowrd swings with his right and to slow and devastating greatsword swings with his left hand and the other way around. Both arms have a backhand attack that comes out really quick, so strafing him in either direction can be dangerous and at the very least you should always block unless you are trying to regenerate stamina. He has a variety of swings with both hands which you'll have to learn to anticipate and dodge. The fact that he can use either hand and any point is what makes things difficult here.

Once down to roughly half health, sometimes sooner or later, he'll switch to his second phace. Some believe the switch to the second phase is tied to how often he uses his greatsword because it tends to heat up which is actually a visible effect. But this is most likely not true at all. I've had him his greatsword almost exclusively and he never switched to the second phase. I also saw him use mostly his right hand and he switched over early. If the second phase is easier to you, as it is to most people, you can just wear any part of Velstadt's set. This will piss Raime off enough to just power up immediately after entering the arena, giving you a little more time than usual to get in hits at the start.

The second phase is a little more varied in terms of attacks. While he's only using his Greatsword now he has a couple more tricks to look out for. There are the typical swings and thrust combos. If you feel confident you can get in a hit after he finishes but be aware that he'll sometimes follow up with a delayed attack. Either that or he hops away when you're too slow. His big overhead swing as well as the single thrust are pretty good spots to attack, but again, if you're not fast enough he may follow up with something fierce. When he rams his sword into the ground run away before the AoE blast happens and then stay away. You'll see a couple orbs come from him in every direction. You can try and run through an opening but it's probably better to dodge through there.

The best opportunity to get in hits, though, is his big-rear end flame swing. It's a very powerful but also very slow attack and a really long range. If you are close enough at the start-up of the animation just strafe and dodge to his left side and go behind him. If he's already mid-swing it's safest to dodge twice to the right to end up behind him. If you dodge only once he'll most likely still hit you. You can also try to dodge through the attack mid-swing but since the attack is very slow your time has to be more precise than when dodging through other attacks. The time your hitbox overlaps with that of the swing will be longer and even with higher adaptability you may get hit if your invincibility frames don't line up correctly. I might make that sound harder than it is, but I also found that method to be not reliable enough, so I use the other two methods, which are safer in my experience.

Soul of the Fume Knight
Soul of the fume knight that guards the dungeon of Brume Tower.
Raime was a distinguished knight who became infatuated with the Bride of Ash, and settled in this land of smoke and fog.

Fume Sword

Physical Damage (+0/+5): 107 / 140
Dark Damage (+0/+5): 47 / 70
Scales with: DEX (C-S), DARK (C)
Requirements: 15 STR, 22 DEX
Note: This weapon has superb range and is probably the longest straight sword in the game.

In-Game Description:
Straight sword forged from the soul of the fume knight, and imbued with the Dark of Nadalia.
The exile swordsman Raime had the ability to expunge the black fog, but chose instead to live alongside it, in the company of the child of Dark that haunts this sword.

Fume Ultra Greatsword

Physical Damage (+0/+5): 307 / 430
Scales with: STR (S), DEX (D)
Requirements: 40 STR, 30 DEX
Note: This sword is decent for blocking too, it has 80% physical damage reduction.

In-Game Description:
Ultra Greatsword forged from the soul of the Fume Knight.
The Exile swordsman Raime had the ability to expunge the black fog, but chose to live alongside it, in company of the child of dark that haunts his sword

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 16, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

The first time I ever faced the Fume Knight, I was actually wearing Velstadt's set, since it's probably my favourite armour, and boy did I get a surprise, I died pretty much in seconds.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I just noticed that the big sword starts to glow as if it got progressively hotter during the fight near the second phase. That's a nice touch.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

This is the first of two co-op areas in the Old Iron King DLC. Out of all the co-op areas it's probably the one that makes the most use out of having multiple people to traverse it. In the first room you are presented with two paths, one leads down, the other lies behind a gate you need to open using a lever. This'll only temporarily open it and to get to it you'll either have to sprint through a gauntlet of enemies coming out of their cells which also opened but that's difficult so... you just wait near the gate as someone else pulls the lever for you. This entire trick gets repeated later into the area so you can benefit from having one more person. The path splits but they converge so you can assist your buddies from above if you went through one or both of the gates. This is pretty neat. But about the only neat thing about this area. Other than that it's pretty bad honestly

Smelter Demon

Yeah. This time he's blue.

Other than that he has pretty much the same moves. Only some of them have a little more of a delay to it. He's essentially designed to screw with you for thinking it'll be the same as the original Smelter Demon. This one also appears to do magic damage instead of fire. There really isn't much else to say about him, really.

Smelter Demon Soul
Soul of the Smelter Demon, that haunts the castle that sunk into a pool of iron.
The Old Iron King's life was taken by a mass of iron that had been given a soul. Was this metal goliath there from the beginning, or was it a product of the king's conceit?
Note: This is the exact same description as the other Smelter Demon's Soul. In fact it is another copy of the same soul. You can use either the original Smelter Demon's Soul or this one's to make the following weapon, but you'll have to defeat the Blue Smelter Demon first before unlocking the ability to do so.

Aged Smelter Sword

Trade Soul with: Ornifex after defeating Smelter V2
Physical Damage (+0/+5): 140 / 350
Magic Damage (+0/+5): 100 / 170
Scales with: STR (D-C), DEX (D), MAG (C)
Requirements: 40 STR, 10 DEX

In-Game Description:
Ultra greatsword crafted from the soul of the smelter demon.
It's blade is imbued with a great flame. Use the strong attack to unleash its latent power. When the old king acquired the power to grant life to heaps of iron he molded a great array of metallic automatons. The iron monstrosity itself was perhaps one of the king's puppets.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 19, 2015

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
You repeated the level description at the end, there.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Hooray recycled bosses.

At least dual-wielding both Smelter Swords gives you a pretty light show.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

When Dark Souls 2 hits PS4 and I can play it once again, I'm gonna try and powerstance the Smelter Demon's Swords, but I'll probably need 99 strength to do it. :v:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

When Dark Souls 2 hits PS4 and I can play it once again, I'm gonna try and powerstance the Smelter Demon's Swords, but I'll probably need 99 strength to do it. :v:

You only need 60 (and 15 dex)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The Pharros mask does have an effect; it grants you the "wet" status that buffs your fire resist while lowering your lightning resist.

The Iron Passage can be run through fairly reliably by sprinting and rolling through a few attacks.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
Aww, should've left a couple deaths in there, Iggy. :D I was really curious about your reaction when we got all the way to the fog door (pretty early if I remember right?) and I did a karmic strike with the lava golem. Nothing quite like being almost there (and we got Smelter on our first try, so it probably would've been over then) and having to do the entire thing over again.

Good video, though, I liked showing off the single-player run through the tunnel (did you mention that the gate re-locks if you wait too long and you can't open it again?) since you wouldn't have seen it in the co-op video. The delay on me showing up in the last room was from actually getting lost for a little bit; I got turned around fighting the fume sorceress and didn't want to drop off too early.

Paracelsus posted:

The Pharros mask does have an effect; it grants you the "wet" status that buffs your fire resist while lowering your lightning resist.

If I remember right (not having the DLC, so this is just Wiki/secondhand info) isn't it 10% fire resist as opposed to the normal 30%? I remember somebody talking about "doing the math" to get to 100% Fire resistance (600+ base plus the Mask) for the Ancient Dragon, and it didn't quite do it.

Judge Tesla posted:

You can always Bonfire Ascetic/NG+ regular Smelter and turn in both souls, but if you really need to feel like Gill from Street Fighter 3, I guess you'd have to do the DLC too.

And yeah, Powerstancing is just 150% of the base requirements, and the Smelter Sword is 40 STR.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Wayne posted:

Aww, should've left a couple deaths in there, Iggy. :D I was really curious about your reaction when we got all the way to the fog door (pretty early if I remember right?) and I did a karmic strike with the lava golem. Nothing quite like being almost there (and we got Smelter on our first try, so it probably would've been over then) and having to do the entire thing over again.
I would have loved to show some of the deaths but the video just didn't flow very well that way. Maybe I'll do a death reel once we've seen the final co-op video. Maybe not.

quote:

(did you mention that the gate re-locks if you wait too long and you can't open it again?)
I didn't mention it with words. But I showed it. But you can actually open it again if you somehow manage to get out of that gauntlet.
What I did fail to mention is that it's easier to get through if you don't sprint but run. The pace seems to line up better with all the stuff that's coming at you. It also allowed me to roll because I have jump mapped to the roll button, which is also the sprint button. So you can't as easily roll while sprinting if you do that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I feel so sorry for those dudes on that grassy riverbank. You have wrecked them with every new weapon you make.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Glazius posted:

I feel so sorry for those dudes on that grassy riverbank. You have wrecked them with every new weapon you make.
Don't forget the guys later into the Forest of Fallen Giants I used as test subjects before I despawned them all.

Anyway, update time!

This is the second co-op area of the Old Iron King DLC. I went through it alone but there's another version coming in which I go through it on NG++ with Wayne. I just still have to commentate over any of the NG++ videos with my co-commentators, is all. The area itself is not very interesting. It's pretty uninspired, actually. What makes it stand out is the boss, which is really fun and the only reason people ever go through this area, probably. Thankfully the way to him is not particularly hard. And if you get tired of fighting what's between you and the boss you can just make a run for it fairly easily.

Sir Alonne

Alonne, the Old Iron King's former right hand. He lore we know tells us that he set out to explore different lands. The Memory of the Old Iron King tells a different story. But why do the two fight? We don't know. Check out this video by VattiVidya for better told version of the entire tale of the Old Iron King as well as Alonne.

But now to the clash of the two: After standing up Alonne will attack immediately. Most of the time he'll charge, other times he'll fire a projectile at you. It's best to just run up to him to get in a quick hit before he starts his thing.

Alonne is a pretty straightforward boss as far as bosses go. Some of his attacks are tricky to dodge if you're not used to them. The charges in particlar, because they have a variable timing depending on the distance. While it's not easy you'll eventually get a feel for it and you'll bait his charges to get in hits because they have a long recovery time.

Other than that he has some swings and thrusts at closer range but two attacks stand out: If he does a thrust with a darkish glow to it just get away. If he hits you with it you'll be impaled on his sword lifted up and smashed down. This is rarely lethal at this stage in the game but not something you want to happen either, because he'll get an attack boost for a minute or so after stabbing you. Alonne has another attack with the same glow. It is a slash that actually shoots a very damaging projectile.

Soul of Sir Alonne
Soul of Sir Alonne, who once served the Old Iron King.
Sir Alonne came from an eastern land, and became the King's most trusted knight.

Bewitched Alonne Sword

Moveset/Weapon Class: Katana
Physical Damage (+0/+5):
Scales with: DEX (B-S)
Requirements: 22 STR, 30 DEX
Ability: Pressing L2/LT will drive the sword through your own stomach at the cost of health and durability to greatly increase the swords power.

In-Game Description:
Katana forged from the soul of Sir Alonne.
The captivating, undulating design serves to enhance this weapon's mystical allure. Alonne came from the east, and soon became the Iron King's most trusted knight. When he departed, the Old Iron King bequeathed Sir Alonne's name to his iron warriors.

Soul of Nadalia
Soul of Nadalia, Bride of Ash, who renounced her flesh and wandered Brume Tower. In the act of dancing, the Bride of Ash was transfigured as smoke, enticing people to her residence.
And so her seat of power came to be known as the Brume Tower.
Note: So, Nadalia actually has dialogue as I pointed out in two of the videos, but it's incredibly hard to make out and people have come to very different conclusions on what she actually says. Here's a reddit thread with one way to interpret things and here's a video with some more. Some of the are wildly different. The latter should give you a chance to make up your own mind, though, becaus it actually features the sound clips.

Outcry

Trade Soul with: Straid
Magic Type: Pyromancy
Requirements: -
Description: Another version of Firestorm only the flames are darker. Also possibly deal Dark damage at least in part.

In-Game Description:
A pyromancy of Nadalia, Bride of Ash. Spouts multiple Dark flames.
This chlid of Dark, bearing inconceivable strength, found herself in a kingless land devoid of souls. And in journeying there, has all but condemned herself to a fate most wretched.

Chime of Screams

Moveset/Weapon Class: Sacred Chime
Physical Damage (+0/+5):
Scales with: LIT (B), DARK (B)
Requirements: 26 FTH
Damage Type: Lighting, Dark

In-Game Description:
Sacred chime forged from the soul of Nadalia, Bride of Ash. Nothing appears sacred about the frightful design of this chime, but it does have the benefit of raising one's faith.
The oozing, frozen iron forming the bell seems to anticipate a scream.

Item Descriptions

Smelter Wedge
An iron wedge forged in this land. Destroys the ashen idol.
The ashen idol is of great consequence to Nadalia, who, having renounced her flesh, entrusts her very being to it.

Fragment of Nadalia's Soul
Soul of Nadalia, Bride of Ash, who renounced her flesh and wandered Brume Tower.
When Nadalia came to this land, the king she sought was no longer there. Dispirited, she forsook her own soul and clung to the heirlooms of the old king.
This is only a fragment of a soul, and cannot be used in this state.

Dance of Fire
Pyromancy created by the magus Eygil, loyal follower of the Old Iron King. Cast flame in a sweeping motion across a targeted area.
The fire seems to dance, and makes its victims dance with it.

Fire Snake
Pyromancy created by the magus Eygil, loyal follower of the Old Iron King. Creates several pillars of flame in front of the caster.
Eygil sought to grant fire a will of its own. This pyromancy was conjured up to behave like a snake, writhing toward its prey, with a mind to strike.

Recollection
Hex created by the children of the Dark. Fire multiple Dark orbs that seek their target
Hexes that grant a fleeting volition to Dark have existed from ancient times, and it appears that the children of Dark have some recollection of the creator of these spells.

Tower Key
Key that opens the door to Brume Tower.
Long ago, the tower used to produce a seemingly endless supply of iron. The King used it to create iron soldiers and an iron castle. Legend has it he even tried his hand at forging a dragon out of iron.

Crown of the Old Iron King
Crown of the Old Iron King who once ruled this land.
The King sunk below the scorching iron, met the one whose name must never be repeated, and became Ichorous Earth.

Hollow Skin
A hood imitating the head of a Hollow.
Provides curse resistance, and makes it easier to detect messages from other worlds.
Finely crafted to perfectly imitate the head of a Hollow, only without the abhorrent stench.
Whoever created this was surely deeply respectful of those lost to Hollowing.

Baneful Bird Ring
Ring of Raime the traitor.
Reduces stamina loss when blocking with a shield.
Raime was an agile swordsman who served King Vendrick, but after resigning from his post, he reconsidered his way of life and was born again as a stalwart warrior.

Pharros Mask
A mask depicting Pharros' contraption.
Tears flow from the eyes of this mask, drenching its wearer.
The majority of Pharros' creations are perplexing to reasoned men, and this mask is no exception.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 23, 2015

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Wayne posted:

If I remember right (not having the DLC, so this is just Wiki/secondhand info) isn't it 10% fire resist as opposed to the normal 30%? I remember somebody talking about "doing the math" to get to 100% Fire resistance (600+ base plus the Mask) for the Ancient Dragon, and it didn't quite do it.

Players innately have a 10% resistance to all elements. Each resistance is increased by 1% for every 10 points of defense in that element. Prior to a certain patch (forget which) you could get 100% resistance by getting 900 defense (and it doesn't take too high a level character with the right gear to become immune to all four elements). Since the patch you're capped at 99% resistance. gg fromsoft

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Lucky for us Nadalia shattered herself into pieces since she's probably the most powerful of Manus's soul fragments if her descriptions are anything to go by.

The Old Iron King was probably the only King who didn't meet one of the Children of Dark since the Smelter Demon destroyed him before her arrival, maybe he got off lucky there, considering what Nashandra did to Vendrick and Drangleic.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Something I was not completely clear on. When you use a bonfire acetic, does that permanently increase the NG+ of that area or does it reset when you actually go into a new game plus. Like if I beat the game, and the game is on NG+, would the affected area be NG++ in that game or would it reset with the rest of the world?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

PSWII60 posted:

Something I was not completely clear on. When you use a bonfire acetic, does that permanently increase the NG+ of that area or does it reset when you actually go into a new game plus. Like if I beat the game, and the game is on NG+, would the affected area be NG++ in that game or would it reset with the rest of the world?

Yeah, it's a permanent effect so if you are on NG+ and use an acetic, that bonfire will always be higher leveled than everything else, it'll be NG++ if you are on NG+ and so forth for each time you start again.

So watch out if you use a lot of acetic's in a certain spot, Iron Keep for example, as you could end up with NG+++++ enemies in a NG+ world.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
For the record, Iggy, there is a time limit in the memory of the Old Iron King. It's pretty long, but I've run up against it trying to get through there before.

I made it to Sir Alonne twice, and died both times. After that I gave up. Getting through there is just a tedious slog.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

PSWII60 posted:

What is done cannot be undone.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

KieranWalker posted:

For the record, Iggy, there is a time limit in the memory of the Old Iron King. It's pretty long, but I've run up against it trying to get through there before.

I made it to Sir Alonne twice, and died both times. After that I gave up. Getting through there is just a tedious slog.

It's actually not terribly hard to do a run-through and ignore all the enemies. After a couple of failed boss fights I just started blitzing the fog door.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Forbidden is the path
to the ancient king's domain

Trespassers will face
adversity befitting a monarch

With water dry, and path amiss,
woeful temptation is dismissed

Eleum Loyce, land of the Ivory King, lies cold as death,
nary a hint of warmth remaining

Crown of the Ivory King is the third and final DLC. It's probably the biggest. Although, you could technically finish it only exploring a little more than half of it if you're really good. Visually, in my book it's the most compelling out of all three DLCs. Depending on who you ask it may also be the hardest. It does have one humanoid enemy type you cannot backstab which complicates things more than you'd think. It also continues the tradition of cool NPC invasions.

Overall, this is probably my second most favorite of the DLCs and it does something that might seem like bullshit when just viewing but is actually executed good enough in the second half. And there's a lot to discover. Again, this is probably the biggest of the three DLCs.

Aava, The King's Pet

Oh look! A kitty!
This boss is not very hard... according to me. Some guy I know really has trouble with Aava but finds Fume Knight easy.

Aava has some attacks with her paws. One of which is a pounce. There's also a little spin attack she sometimes does.. For most of those it's recommended to dodge towards her or to her sides if you don't want to end up under her. However, being under her gives you plenty of opportunity to attack, but don't get too comfy because Aava has two attacks to counter that. One of them is kind of like firestorm, only with icicles that come from the ground. The other one is just a plain AoE blast she sometimes does. So just get away from her after a couple hits and you should be fine. She can also use a homing soulmass type spell that, while relatively easy to dodge, deals a ton of damage if you let it.

Aava is actually only one of seven of the King's pets. Sadly, we're not going to see all of them. But according to the description, which you can see below, of course, Aava's task was to protect the Queen. And so far, the Queens we've seen were all children of Dark. The Description even calls her that. But this is the one that may make you rethink the nature of the children of dark.

Soul of Aava, the King's Pet
Soul of Aava, who served the Ivory King.
Each of the Ivory King's seven beasts was conferred a specific duty. Aava's was the guardianship of the King's beloved child of Dark.

Ivory Straight Sword

Physical Damage (+0/+5): 212 / 252
Scales with: -
Requirements: 6 STR, 40 DEX
Damage Type: Strike
Note: Loses some durability with each swing.

In-Game Description:
Sword of Fabian, knight of Eleum Loyce.
This blade, crafted with ivory ore native to the land, harnesses souls to slash at foes. Sir Fabian led the loyal knights of Eleum Loyce straight into the depths of chaos to exterminate the terrible things that dwelled there, but not once of the selfless knights returned.

The Snowball

This unassuming ball of snow is an optional boss of this DLC. It does not attack the player in any way it just sits there at a slope, tempting you. It wants you to get close and fall to your death. The main trick in fighting the snowball is to not be dumb and fall. It's easiest to defeat if you bait it's just sit there and do nothing attack and then follow it immediately with a swift hit using the instrument of your choice. It only takes one hit and in defeat it will roll and grow larger and larger. Admitting defeat and acknowledging you as it's master. It flattens the enemies on the bridge below and stops in the gap you could previously not cross so it can serve as a bridge to you. Truly, my favorite boss fight of the entire game. So much with so little.

The Ivory King
We don't know that much about him but what we do know is that he was originally from Farossa. The same place Vengarl was from. Farossa is, or was, a region known for it's warriors. The Lion Warriors belong to those for instance.

It's very likely that the Ivory King has fought some battles in his life the descriptions of all gear related to him actually make him seem like a decent dude. We haven't seen all of them yet so some of the descriptions are still going to come up.

Anyway, at some point he must have found the Old Chaos and built his house on top of it to contain it. And he made it his mission to do so. He was so dedicated to doing that that the entrance to the Old Chaos was right inside his own throne room.

Eventually a Child of Dark appeared at his doorstep: Alsanna.
She embodies Manus' fears and as such her motivation to be with the Ivory King was fear. Given the history of Children of Dark becoming queens for Kings you might now think that Alsanna had something to do with the Ivory King's eventual downfall. She did not. There was no downfall. At least not in the sense Vendrick, the Old Iron King and possibly the Sunken King fell.

It's just that at some point the Chaos became too strong, too difficult for him to contain. So he sacrificed himself to the Chaos to weaken it leaving behind his love, Alsanna. We're going to learn a little more about their parting at the end of the DLC, but those are just details. There's no grimdark cynical twist to it. Were it not for the Old Chaos this could have been the feelgood movie of some summer.

Alsanna is a very interesting character because she shows us that the Dark, more specifically Children of Dark aren't inherently bad. She was governed by fear but her devotion to the Ivory King seems to have helped her overcome it, at least in part, as she's now the one watching over the Old Chaos to honor her King's will.

Next time we'll go do some co-op, but after that we'll go to the Old Chaos ourselves and maybe see what has happened to the Ivory King and his Knights.

Lud and Zallen, the King's other pets (but only two of them)

It's like fighting Aava all over again. Only this time there's two of them. Which, needless to say, complicates things just a tad little bit. The fight starts out innocent enough with just one of the two kitties on the battlefield. Take this chance to deal as much damage as you can and ideally kill it. Hell, this is probably a better use for a brightbug than most others. But yes, get that thing as dead as possible before the second one shows up. You don't have much time. Once both are down on the battlefield you... well... you'll have to deal with both of them. And this is where this fight goes from okay, I've done this already to pretty drat difficult.

If you go solo your best bet really is to kill the first one before the second one comes out or at least damage it enough to make it more likely to kill it later. Of course, this is the co-op area so you can also bring a fried, like I did. But oh, this doesn't mean it's gonna be as easy as other multi-enemy fights in co-op. Oh no. The AI of the cats seems to be programmed to gang up on the same guy. On one hand, this gives the person(s) not currently engaged the opportunity to get in a couple relatively easy hits on the other hand it makes it more likely that someone will die. Just watch my video to see both cats trained on Wayne with me desperately trying to make one focus on me instead. Didn't work.

But hey, eventually you'll manage to kill either Lud or Zallen. At that point whichever of the two survived will power up and get just a little bit more deadly. If you can deal with Aava you should also be able to deal with that, though. The toughest part really is the time during which you'll be hunted by both freaking tigers.

Soul of Lud/Zallen
Soul of Lud, who served the Ivory King.
Each of the Ivory King's Seven beasts was conferred a specific duty. Lud's/Zallen's was the mercy killing of exiles.
Note: They do each drop their own Soul, yes, but the descriptions are identical save for the names.

Loyce Greatsword (Lud's Soul)

Moveset/Weapon Class: Greatsword
Physical Damage (+0/+5): 176 / 230)
Scales with: STR (E), DEX (C-S)
Requirements: 25 STR, 28 DEX

In-game description:
Greatsword of the Knights of Loyce.
The Knights of Loyce were commanded to strike down each malformed terror that arose from chaos, and they would not hesitate even it if were their own king.

Loyce Shield (Zallen's Soul)

Moveset/Weapon Class: Shield
Noteworthy Defenses (+0/+5): Magic (80)
Scales with: DEX (C), MAG (D)
Requirements: 12 STR, 15 DEX
Special Abilty Adds some life regeneration that apparently stacks with other regenerating items

In-game description:
Shield of the Knights of Loyce.
The Knights of Loyce were commanded to strike down each malformed terror that arose from Chaos, and they would not hesitate even if it were their own king.

The Burnt Ivory King

And now we see what has become of the Ivory King after he sacrificed himself to appease the Old Chaos.

He hasn't turned into a Chaos Demon, at least not in the Dark Souls One sense of Chaos Demon. Though, this might be exactly what the power of the Chaos does to humans. What we saw in Dark Souls was essentially the Chaos malforming gods and their children.

Before we get to fight the King, though, we have to first defeat his army of Charred Loyce Knights. Thankfully we are aided by all the Loyce Knights we found. If you haven't found any and are stuck with the one you get by default then... well. Good luck!

The fight is really brutal with only one Knight as the Knight's role is not just to assist you in combat but to shut the portals the charred knights are spawning from. If you manage to get through the onslaught of Charred Knights and your one guy shuts one of three portals you'll still have two portals spawning Knights as you have to fight the boss. No, I've never done that.

Once the Burnt Ivory King enters the arena the fight proper will begin. He's essentially not much more than your big dude with armor and a big weapon but I do like this fight. He's still distinct enough visually and the music owns. The fight itself isn't too hard. It's a dude with a big sword swinging said sword. But eventually he'll buff it and it'll gain some range. At this point it's probably better to stay close to him because you can't reasonably get far enough away to gain any benefit from the distance. He's got one mean thrust move too. If it connects you'll be impaled, dragged up and smashed down. Looks more deadly than it is but still definitely to be avoided.

Once you got him down you'll get his crown, which in our case is the final one.

If we go back to Vendrick with all of the crowns we can unlock their true power. If we equip any of the crowns now we will never go hollow again. Well, when this came out plenty of people seemed to think this means that the curse is broken but no... actually you are just relieved of its symptoms while you wear one of four special hats. It's also just you and not every other undead. But at least it allows us to remain human for whatever that means.

Soul of the Ivory King
Soul of the Ivory King of Eleum Loyce.
The proud Ivory King was ever-merciful and devoted himself to the protection of his great land until he was devoured by the flames of chaos.

Ivory King Ultra Greatsword

Physical Damage (+0/+5): 230 / 300
Magic Damage (+0/+5): I dunno man, but if you two hand it you get some.
Scales with: STR (D-B), DEX (B)
Requirements: 30 STR, 30 DEX

In-Game description:
Ultra Greatsword of the Ivory King of Eleum Loyce. Wield with both hands to realize its full strength.
It is said that the Ivory King was once the highest ranking knight in his home of Forossa, famed for its god of war. After taking his crown, they say he was the first to swing his sword in times of need, be it for his homeland or his people.

Alsanna, Silent Oracle
She's the true final boss of the DLC! No she's not, really. But there's something extra. A little bit of an annoying grindquest. See, the charred Loyce Knights drop Loyce Souls. There's rewards for giving her a certain number of souls...

5 Loyce Souls: You get the Loyce Gauntlets and Leggings
15 Loyce Souls: You get the Loyce Armor
35 Loyce Souls: You get the Loyce Helm.
50 Loyce Souls: You get her Soul as well as the Ivory King Armor set (which you actually have to buy from Maughlin after doing this)

As you get her more and more Souls the barriers leading to her will removed. Eventually you'll be able to speak to her directly. I didn't do it because I'm not gonna freaking grind by either doing co-op or going back down to the Old Chaos where I have to fight three charred Knights at a time hoping they might drop a Loyce Soul. But anyway: This is how she looks.

If you don't care for the armor you unlock for giving her Souls and just want her Soul you can just kill her with a bow from downstairs. Guess how I got her Soul.

Soul of Alsanna, Silent Oracle
Soul of Alsanna, oracle of Eleum Loyce who prays in silent vigilance.
This child of Dark, in reverence of the apocalypse devotes herself to a ritual in hopes of appeasing the raging flame.

Eleum Loyce

Moveset/Weapon Class: Curved Sword
Physical Damage (+0/+5): 137 / 165
Scales with: STR (E), DEX (S)
Requirements: 18 STR, 27 DEX
Special Ability: The heavy attack makes it so you heal allies if you hit them with it. If you hit an enemy you will steal some of its health.

In-Game description:
Curved sword forged from the Soul of Alsanna.
Formed by two curious blades, this sword can restore an ally's HP with a hit from its strong attack.
The enigmatic Alsanna quietly found a place at the Ivory King's side, and when his strength was fully drained, he conferred this sword inscribed with the name of the land, to her.

Item Descriptions

Old Bell Helm
Helm forged from an ancient bell.
Appears to be a mere curiosity, but it is in fact quite practical. The top of the helm provides significant defense.
Note: Grants immunity to headshot damage and will ring the bell when hit in the head.

Ring of the Embedded
Ring crafted from the chains of the Embedded.
Receive various benefits, but at the cost of increased damage taken.
The chains of the Embedded have the power to transform people into slaves of pleasure, setting them on a path of ruin.
This ring augments that peculiar quality.
Note: It will increase some stats. The lower they are the greater the effect will be.

Hex: Dark Dance
Hex that unleashes a large mass of Dark. This momentous mass of Dark dances to signal the joy of its own release, or perhaps merely to taunt foes as it veers towards them.
Hexes are an expression of human depravity, of which this dance is a perfect example.

Eye of the Priestess
The eye of the First Priestess who watched over Eleum Loyce.
Allows one to see the unseen. All the great priestesses replaced one of their birth eyes with this, returning it after their term was complete

Ivory Warrior Ring
Ring of the guardians of Eleum Loyce. Attacks greatly reduce enemy stamina.
Eleum Loyce existed to subdue the raging flame, but when the ivory gates were flung open, the land grew cold and lifeless.

Sorcery: Soul Flash
One of the ancient sorceries that were lost when Eleum Loyce froze over. Rapidly fire a barrage of small souls.
Intended to protect its caster more than damage enemies.

Miracle: Splintering Lightning Spear
Developed from a primal miracle. Launch splintering spears of lightning.
Ever since miracles came to be, learned men have endeavored to rework and remold them to their satisfaction. This is one such effort

Ring of the Living
A ring bearing a sharp stud. Appear human when a phantom.
This ring jabs into the skin, creating a throbbing pain that serves as a constant reminder of one's humanity."
Note: I didn't pick this up on screen, but it's on a corpse near the entrance to the boss arena before the bridge.

Mirrah Hat
A hat from the land of Mirrah. An elite order of knights in a far land used this hat in a ceremonial capacity. Masterfully crafted, but of little practical use on the battlefield.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 24, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Snow aside, I'm reminded a lot of Boletaria Castle from Demon's Souls with the castle interiors and enemies rushing you from round corners, granted Boletaria Castle is probably one of the best areas in any Souls series game but this area is pretty cool in itself.

I've not yet played this DLC myself, I'm waiting for the upcoming PS4 release to finally play it.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Yup, this area is very reminiscent of Boletarian Palace, most people who go through this make that connection. Boletarian Palace is the better level in my opinion, but this is pretty great as well.

In this episode we will acquire a light saber!
We make our way through the rest of the main path of this DLC. But it's actually far from over, we're only about halfway done.
Next video will actually be the first NG++ video for the DLCs. I was able to record most of the commentary for them last week.

Aava, The King's Pet

Oh look! A kitty!
This boss is not very hard... according to me. Some guy I know really has trouble with Aava but finds Fume Knight easy.

Aava has some attacks with her paws. One of which is a pounce. There's also a little spin attack she sometimes does.. For most of those it's recommended to dodge towards her or to her sides if you don't want to end up under her. However, being under her gives you plenty of opportunity to attack, but don't get too comfy because Aava has two attacks to counter that. One of them is kind of like firestorm, only with icicles that come from the ground. The other one is just a plain AoE blast she sometimes does. So just get away from her after a couple hits and you should be fine. She can also use a homing soulmass type spell that, while relatively easy to dodge, deals a ton of damage if you let it.

Aava is actually only one of seven of the King's pets. Sadly, we're not going to see all of them. But according to the description, which you can see below, of course, Aava's task was to protect the Queen. And so far, the Queens we've seen were all children of Dark. The Description even calls her that. But this is the one that may make you rethink the nature of the children of dark.

Soul of Aava, the King's Pet
Soul of Aava, who served the Ivory King.
Each of the Ivory King's seven beasts was conferred a specific duty. Aava's was the guardianship of the King's beloved child of Dark.

Ivory Straight Sword

Physical Damage (+0/+5): 212 / 252
Scales with: -
Requirements: 6 STR, 40 DEX
Damage Type: Strike
Note: Loses some durability with each swing.

In-Game Description:
Sword of Fabian, knight of Eleum Loyce.
This blade, crafted with ivory ore native to the land, harnesses souls to slash at foes. Sir Fabian led the loyal knights of Eleum Loyce straight into the depths of chaos to exterminate the terrible things that dwelled there, but not once of the selfless knights returned.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Someone extracted some unused map data for the broken archstone from Demon's Souls, and it's pretty similar to parts of Eleum Loyce.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The Ivory Straight Sword is a really neat idea, but not a very good actual weapon. It requires a lot of stat investment but doesn't do good damage, can't be buffed or infused, and breaks very quickly since every attack degrades a lot. It is very light, though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

The Ivory Straight Sword is a really neat idea, but not a very good actual weapon. It requires a lot of stat investment but doesn't do good damage, can't be buffed or infused, and breaks very quickly since every attack degrades a lot. It is very light, though.

It's also slower than all the other straight swords for some ungodly reason.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Sure were a lot of daughters of the Dark running around ruining kingdoms. You'd think the kings would learn after a while.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Sindai posted:

Sure were a lot of daughters of the Dark running around ruining kingdoms. You'd think the kings would learn after a while.

Manus's soul exploded into quite a few fragments, the fact they are all female when they take form is interesting, considering Manus himself looked like a Gorilla.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

Manus's soul exploded into quite a few fragments, the fact they are all female when they take form is interesting, considering Manus himself looked like a Gorilla.

They supposedly take that form because of some fixation with Dusk Manus had. That's one theory.

This is probably as good a time as any to tell you that I think that Dusk was just an extension of Elizabeth she used to get someone to off Manus (Dusk being Manus' "queen" in that scenario, he might have taken inspiration from that). Mostly basing this on the fact that Elizabeth will die if you kill Dusk after the Manus fight. Never tried, but if you kill Elizabeth I reckon Dusk will never show up after that fight. The two of them also sell the same goods. I also think that Elizabeth is Shalquoir for no other reason than both of them telling as that they are "just a mushroom/cat after all".

Another theory is that they take the form of women because it's the easiest way to get close to rulers and get into a position of power for a variety of reasons.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Souls in general sort of has a fixation on mysterious women. Maiden in Black, Shanalotte, Priscilla who some people theorize was going to have a similar role to those two, Dusk, The Three Queens. So on and so forth, especially with some stuff implied in Bloodborne.

• Locked thread