Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's not really worth using that shortcut, since it's a lot safer to just run past all the enemies on the normal route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Straid says one line that I found particularly interesting: "The witch led her daughters into war against the Old Ones". Old Ones? At the start of the game everyone in Majula tells us to go kill... Old Ones. Is there a connection between the dragons from DS1 and the Big Four in DS2?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

omeg posted:

Straid says one line that I found particularly interesting: "The witch led her daughters into war against the Old Ones". Old Ones? At the start of the game everyone in Majula tells us to go kill... Old Ones. Is there a connection between the dragons from DS1 and the Big Four in DS2?

In NG+ their souls have the names changed to refer to bosses from the first game.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

omeg posted:

Well. It's not much of a spoiler to say that we're gonna fight the first Old One next video and we're gonna learn that they have less of a connection to dragons but more to the four Lords who cooperated to kill the dragons.

Straid calling the dragons old ones is probably supposed to tell us that he doesn't actually know what they are. The dragons are even older than the old ones so calling them old ones as well makes sense in a way. But it is confusing. The old ones he mentions may as well be Giants by his understanding, which are this game's version of the dragons, being on the losing side of some significant battle that happened an incredibly long time ago.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

My take has always been that Straid is from a time early enough to still know about the Witch of Izalith, but late enough for the truth to be obfuscated a bit. He even says "But legends are legends."

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I know about the connection with the DS1 bosses, just wondered about the dragon bit. Truth being obfuscated by the passage of time seems to be a theme here so that's probably it.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

Real hurthling! posted:

You are wrong about the death pit door. if you are coming from mcduff's bonfire you can jump down to it and save yourself the fight with the royal swordsmen. it's a pretty great shortcut.

For those curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enOCIM2j0oI

It's a very small ledge to catch, so use it at your own risk.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PRL412 posted:

For those curious:

i've never missed it, plus you feel like batman.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I've missed it a bunch of times. Dashing helps, just don't roll off, you will miss.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

Real hurthling! posted:

i've never missed it, plus you feel like batman.

Souls games need more batman shortcuts. Totally worth it.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

PRL412 posted:

For those curious:

Honestly, aside from the coolness factor I don't see much of a use for it. Just running past all the enemies seems much safer. It's what I actually did on my run back to the boss, but you never saw it because the magic called editing happened.
But it's good to know that this door isn't just a cruel joke on everyone who roll-cancels the door opening animations. Even though that would have been kinda funny.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh. The cage elevators exactly big enough to hold a human body. So those are back.

Still just as creepy.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Glazius posted:

Oh. The cage elevators exactly big enough to hold a human body. So those are back.

Still just as creepy.

I'd say these ones are worse.

McDuff sells the OTHER most important item
Which is infinite Greatarrows.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 3, 2014

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

IGgy IGsen posted:

Honestly, aside from the coolness factor I don't see much of a use for it. Just running past all the enemies seems much safer. It's what I actually did on my run back to the boss, but you never saw it because the magic called editing happened.
But it's good to know that this door isn't just a cruel joke on everyone who roll-cancels the door opening animations. Even though that would have been kinda funny.
The shortcut is incredibly easy to take, you just run off, no jumping required. No single enemy get aggroed and you can immediately take the ladder. It's waaaaaaaaay faster.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Simply Simon posted:

The shortcut is incredibly easy to take, you just run off, no jumping required. No single enemy get aggroed and you can immediately take the ladder. It's waaaaaaaaay faster.

I'm trying to figure out how to do it with a 180 turn around and prostration bow on landing.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Real hurthling! posted:

I'm trying to figure out how to do it with a 180 turn around and prostration bow on landing.
Get someone with a hammer to punt you down.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Really great let's play Iggy! I enjoy your splicing of footage . I plan to watch this in its entirety. I played Kings Field 2 way back when and have followed the series whether through let's plays, speed-runs, or long plays.

With all that said, I can't help but feel a little disappointed this time around with Dark Souls II. The encounters remind me of Kings Field so much with the archers on balconies and moving walls. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. So far, I'm almost disappointed that humanoid, hollow enemy types that have dominated most of the combat. One thing Dark Souls did well IMO was move away from hollows because monstrous enemies require different AI and different engagements. Fighting room to room with lumbering enemies is tiring to watch and I feel From took a step back in that regard.

Also, the characters and storytelling seems like a parody of Dark Souls at times. Even though I am not a huge fan of Demon's Souls, Dark and Demon's seems to present the characters in a more compelling way. DSII has characters that are awkward and filled with ennui or the characters are constantly sneering. Demon's characters were all conflicted in some way and morally gray. Even the good guys had a little darkness and the bad guys were beasts or wounded somehow. Dark did a great job presenting a story in the least judgemental fashion so the player could decide what was right and wrong. But DSII seems to throw in characters and quests with no imperative. You are killing hollows and demons but no one seems to care, the stakes are completely personal, and for now there seems to be no real connection. Maybe the game picks up and ties our current progress together later.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

So uh, I'm curious about something. When i first started this game i went with a hexer run, because I always play a wizard first time though any game. I had a really easy time with most of the fights (Oh hello smelter demon. No I'm not getting hit by that shockwave thank you). After a bit I decided to do a punchyfist run, complete with mustache and huge chin, because the fists are actually really good. And suddenly the game was hard.

So is magic (hexing in particular) really horribly broken in this game too?

Also I cant wait till you get to a certain area with a certain redone boss, When i got there i had way too easy of a time, I wanna see what it and another area are like if the gimmicks actually trigger.

Edit: It should probably be noted I'm enjoying the punchyfist run more, since playing a mage takes almost no effort.

Zoig fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 8, 2014

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah, mage is pretty easy and hexes are probably the best magic (although some magic has been patched apparently since I last tried it, not sure where that leaves it). Even I managed a hex run without many hiccups. It's damage is really good and you have the added bonus of not having to stand right next to a guy who's swinging a hammer right at your face.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Zoig posted:

So uh, I'm curious about something. When i first started this game i went with a hexer run, because I always play a wizard first time though any game. I had a really easy time with most of the fights (Oh hello smelter demon. No I'm not getting hit by that shockwave thank you). After a bit I decided to do a punchyfist run, complete with mustache and huge chin, because the fists are actually really good. And suddenly the game was hard.

So is magic (hexing in particular) really horribly broken in this game too?

Also I cant wait till you get to a certain area with a certain redone boss, When i got there i had way too easy of a time, I wanna see what it and another area are like if the gimmicks actually trigger.

Edit: It should probably be noted I'm enjoying the punchyfist run more, since playing a mage takes almost no effort.

The Fisticuffs run is alow to begin with, but once you upgrade them Caestus's (which I assume you are using) and slap some low weight but upgraded armour on, you'll be an unstoppable force of punching doom.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Actually I did that already, but its still decently challenging in a good way.

As for armor, from what I understand low weight is for the most part meaningless. my 30% weight hexer and my 60 something weight fisticuffs guys move at the same speed, and my hexer is only better at rolling because of his attunement. As long as you keep it below 70%, you won't fat roll, so heavy armor is actually a good choice.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

And today we are finally going to meet the first Old One that the Emerald Herald and Shalquoir have been hyping up. So Let's see what's up with those guys. I also made an extra video featuring mostly lore you can see if you click on the Old Soul icon next to the episode banner. It's mostly meant for people who know only little about the first game's lore, but it also features some speculation. Oh, and also: There's this one time where I misidentify some guy's weapon as the Demon Greathammer. He's actually using the Archdrake Mace

Fancy dress! I tried it on as a guy, but even though he has one of the smaller body types available he still looked huge in it. Thankfully there's the gender swap coffin in Things Betwixt. The Witch's dress has really high fire resistance. Which was the main reason for me using it and will probably be the only time I actually choose armor because of its function rathern than its looks. It still looks good, though.

Old Iron King

The Old Iron King is the first of the Old Ones that we happened upon. We could have of course fought any of the others before him but he happened to be unlucky enough to be the first one in our path.

He himself is not the biggest problem in the fight. It's actually the rather small arena with lava around it. To make things even better there's a small pool of lava in the middle too. So you're essentially fighting on a half ring. If you are too defensive and retreat to the wall there's a good chance you'll fall into there as you try to dodge something.

As long as you keep that in mind fighting the Old Iron King is not very hard, though. His attacks are obviously telegraphed. He can sweep his arm across the arena or just plain smash his fists down on it. The worst thing he can do with his arms is a two hit combi. No wait, it's the palm laser. Yes that. When the King winds up with his left arm he'll shoot a laser out of his hand once it hits the ground. This is mainly supposed to be a gently caress you to players who hide around the corner because it actually goes through walls. But it's a prime opportunity to get a good couple hits in for everyone else.

If you're using a Melee based build you'll have to wait for him to attack before you can attack him. With a ranged build you can just do whtever.

He can do some other stuff too though. He can breathe fire. He'll either direct a stream of fire straight ahead or he'll sweep fiery death across the platform. Depending on where you stand and how he's positioned the latter may be hard to dodge. It relies on you having enough space to actually get out of its reach. You can use the wall on the right side of the arena to hide, but don't get too comfy there. In fact get out of there as soon as possible.

Sometimes he'll also submerge again to resurface in a different spot. You can actually influence that spot by standing where you want him to be. I generally find the middle the easiest, but some have less trouble with him on the left because that'll allow you to abuse the wall on the right side more easily.

When defeated in New Game+ and beyond he will drop the Old King Soul, which is most likely referencing Gwyn, a major character and actually the lead villain from the first game. It's implied that the corpse of the iron king got turned into Ichorous Earth by the Old King Soul. Ichorous Eearth being the actual name of that thing we just fought.

Boss Weapons
Old Iron King Soul
Soul of the Old Iron King, who succumbed to the flames that swallowed his castle.
The Iron King's flesh was charred, and his soul possessed by the things that lurk below.

Iron King Hammer

Trade Soul with: Ornifex
Moveset/Weapon Class: Great Hammer
Physical Damage (+0/+5): 112/280
Fire Damage (+0/+5): 50/120
Scales with: STR (D), DEX (D), FIRE (C)
Requirements: 50 STR, 8 DEX
Damage Type: Strike
Note: Heavy attack has a fire AoE effect as long as you meet the stat requirements.

In-Game Description:
Great hammer forged from the soul of the Old Iron King.
The tip is formed of molten rock.
The corpse of the Old Iron King became the vessel that bred Ichorous Earth.
The heavy rock tip is formed of cooled magma, with a still-smoldering core. Strong attack releases its inner power.

Old King Soul:
Soul of the ineffable.
This once magnificent soul continues to exert influence over the land, even after the eons have reduced it to these remnants.

Dragonslayer Greatbow

Trade Soul with: Ornifex
Moveset/Weapon Class: Greatbow
Physical Damage (+0/+5): 116/290
Scales with: STR (B), DEX (C)
Requirements: 30 STR, 20 DEX

In-Game Description:
Dark Souls II: A greatbow said to be used to down ancient dragons flying high above the clouds. Extremely large for a mere bow, and more destructive than any ranged weapon imaginable.
Shooting this bow requires the grounding of its stability anchor, which takes time and leaves the shooter vulnerable. Also requires great arrows.
Dark Souls: Bow of the Dragonslayers, led by Hawkeye Gough, one of Gwyn's Four Knights.
This bow's unusual size requires that it be anchored to the ground when fired. Only uses specialized great arrows.

Blinding Bolt

Trade Soul with: Straid
Magic Type: Miracle
Requirements: 65 FTH
Description: Fires a small orb shoothing lightning in random directions in the air. More useful than I make it out to be in the video, upon further review.

In-Game Description:
A miracle that creates a giant soul mass and transforms it into a lightning-spouting orb of light.
Crafted in ancient times by the God of Sun, but later forbidden by the same deity. Was it to protect the world from hatred, or sorrow?

Item Descriptions

Dark Armor
Dark Souls II: Armor of a knight subsumed by dark.
No one knows the true identity of these men who are said to freely manipulate dark. Old foreign legends describe them as poor souls who chased the lost art of life drain.
Dark Souls: Armor of the Darkwraiths, former knights of New Londo who descended into Dark.
Their armor transformed, and remains a symbol of the Dark servants and their diabolical art of Lifedrain.

Black Knight Greataxe
Dark Souls II: Greataxe wielded by knights who served a lord of light in a long-forgotten age.
Even after their flesh was charred by flame, they remained as strong as ever,
and stood watch, challenging visitors to their land.
Dark Souls: Greataxe of the black knights who wander Lordran. Used to face chaos demons.
The large motion that puts the weight of the body into the attack reflects the great size of their adversaries long ago.

Covetous Gold Serpent Ring
Dark Souls II: A gold ring depicting the snake, both the servant and manifestation of the god of desire, Zinder. Greed is traditionally viewed as a vice, but only a coward sees every chance as something to fear.
Dark Souls: The serpent is an imperfect dragon and symbol of the Undead. Its habit of devouring prey even larger than itself has led to an association with gluttony.
This gold ring, engraved with the serpent, boosts its wearer's item discovery, so that more items can be amassed.

Ironclad Armor
Leggings worn by Ironclad Soldiers. Provides high defense, but is so heavy that it requires great strength to move
The Ironclad Soldiers were minions created by the Old Iron King, their life granted by an enchantment of souls. By now this is again an iron husk, and fit to wear.
Note: Wearing this will prevent the backstab animation from triggering. People will still be able to literally stab you in the back, though.

Pyromancy: Chaos Storm
Dark Souls II The chaos flame is said to have devoured the mother of pyromancy.
Create multiple pillars of chaos flame.
Those who sought great power were consumed by their own desires.Where are these lost souls now?
Dark Souls: Art of the Flame of Chaos, which engulfed the Witch of Izalith and her daughters. Erects localized chaos fire pillars.
The Witch of Izalith, in an ambitious attempt to copy the First Flame, created instead the Flame of Chaos, a twisted bed of life

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 15, 2014

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The Iron King never felt like a good fight to me, he's just far too slow to be very dangerous, he's kinda like the Dragon God from Demons Souls, another gigantic boss who is probably the easiest boss in the game if you know his gimmick.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I'm pretty sure the first thing I said when I saw him was "oh, are we playing doom now?"

I would honestly say most of the bosses in dark souls II are really easy compared to the last game, no matter what build you are using. I beat most of them on my first proper attempt with both characters so far. the only decently challengeing ones I have seen so far are either really fast (Old Dragonslayer, for example) or just multiple tough guys (Ruins Sentinel). the toughest boss for me was a fast boss with multiple fast smaller dudes backing him up.

As a side note, my brother, who is most certainly worse at the game no matter what he says, keeps dying because his weapon has such a long recovery time and uses so much stamina. If you are playing a melee build, is it important to have both a fast low damage, low stamina using weapon and a slow, high damage, high poise breaking weapon?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I was really sad when I discovered that BKGA doesn't have it's awesome jumping attack anymore :(

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Zoig posted:

If you are playing a melee build, is it important to have both a fast low damage, low stamina using weapon and a slow, high damage, high poise breaking weapon?
No, you just have to mind your movement/positioning and stamina management a lot more if you use a heavy weapon. The timing of your attacks is also a lot more important since the animation is going to be considerably slower. One should also just go two-handed when using a big weapon to actually benefit from the high damage they do. One-handed attacks of heavier weapons are stronger than most light weapons but not really impressive. On that note: Be good at dodging.

In essence you could say that heavy weapons require a somewhat different skillset.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Zoig posted:

I'm pretty sure the first thing I said when I saw him was "oh, are we playing doom now?"

Mine was "holy poo poo, I'm fighting a balrog"

Try wings, you fools!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That finishing shot on the Iron King. Good lord. You shot him in the throat. :gonk:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Wanted to do this earlier, but forgot about it until now. This is a small extra bit of Huntsman's Copse featuring an additional boss as well as the straight invasion covenant.

Wearin' the Helm from the set of Armor that adorns most Dark Souls II promotional materials. I'm not a big fan of the set but the helm fits well with a lot of things. Like our White Priestess Robes.

Executioner's Chariot

This fight is unique, although in my opinion is more tedious than anything else in the beginning (unique) stage but after that it just doesn't pay off. I know a lot of people like this fight and I suppose there is a reason for that it's just I don't get it.

The fight starts us out in a circular corridor. Going to the right will bring us to a bottomless pit we don't want to make acquaintance with the left will lead us to where we need to go. But it's not as easy as it sounds. A chariot is constantly going through the corridor counter-clockwise. You going clockwise, of course, means that you'll have it coming right at you sooner than later, getting hit deals a huge chunk of damage and will most likely just kill you. To make it worse there's plenty of skeletons littering the path and as a little cherry on top there are two necromancers reviving the Skeletons.

To actually survive you need to hide out in the little nooks located in both walls of the corridor and slowly advance towards a lever while dealing with the skeletons and avoiding the chariot itself. It is very easy to die here. Of course you'll wanna be safe and hide out early to avoid the chariot but if you get in too early skeletons may swarm you (this happens to me in the video, I survive through nothing but dumb luck). Depending on your shield or ability to parry you might be able to just block their attacks until the chariot takes care of them for you. At which point you hurry to the nearest Necromancer to make one half of the skeletons stay dead.

The only real "trick" to this fight is to not lose your cool. Wait for the chariot. Head out and kill a couple skeletons. Hide again. Rinse and repeat until you find a Necromancer then pick off surviving skeletons or let the chariot do it for you. Then go to the entire thing one more time. If you want a really easy time you can just get a couple Alluring skulls, which will make enemies go wherever you throw it. That way you don't really have to deal with the skeletons themselves.

This doesn't sound too hard, does it? It sounds like it could be a fun and exciting challenge. Well, it is. Even if you do your first time because you go "Oh poo poo, they come back to life" but if you die again it's more frustrating than anything to go through that part again. Thankfully, or disappointingly the actual boss is not really challenging or fun at all.

Once you got everything cleared out wait for the chariot to pass one more time and pull the lever you should be able to see from where the second necromancer was hiding. It will lower a gate and the chariot will crash through it and get wrecked, leaving only its two-headed horse to fight you.

It's best to stay at it's side. It's almost completely safe. Opposed to the front, where it can charge, stomp and breathe darkness in your face and the back, where it'll just kick out, don't be behind it. The only attack that can it you when you're on the side is the stomp, which as a surprisingly large area of effect. Just get away when you notice it's about to stomp and you're fine. When you see it doing its breath this will give you a great opportunity to get a good couple of hits in and deal a lot of damage to it while it does it.

Overall getting to actually fight the boss is harder than the boss itself. This is not necessarily a problem it's just that the approach to it, while a neat idea, gets old fast. At least that's how I feel about it.

One thing to take note of is that you'll get a Cloranthy Ring +2 if you beat it on a NG+

Boss Weapons
Soul of the Executioner's Chariot, that holds control over the Undead Purgatory.
The chariot was created only to torment Undead, and it took the form of a horrendous mad steed, a window into the soul of its master.
Give this Soul to Straid to make...

Weapon

Moveset/Weapon Class: Lance
Physical Damage (+0/+5): 124/310
Bleed Effect (+0/+5): 67/ 100
Scales with: STR (B), DEX (E)
Requirements: 30 STR, 18 DEX
Damage Type: Thrust

In-Game Description:
Lance forged from the soul of the Executioner's Chariot. Its cross-shaped blade causes bleeding.
The perverse design of this spear mirrors the chariot from which it came, a merciless creation that endlessly tortured the Undead.

Shield Crossbow

Moveset/Weapon Class: Crossbow
Physical Damage (+0/+5): 112 / 280
Scales with: -
Requirements: 19 STR, 10 DEX

In-Game Description:
Crossbow created from the soul of the Executioner's Chariot. Iron plate serves as a shield while firing.
The merciless chariot inflicted agony upon others with utter impunity, and the crossbow created from its soul strives to protect from possible retribution.
Effect: guard while firing

Brotherhood of Blood:
To join this covenant you need to have one Token of Spite you can get from a succesful invasion or find in one or two places in the game. With that in hands talk to Titchy Gren in Undead Purgatory. The Covenant can be described as the "Return of the Dickwraiths" The classic Invasion based PvP from Demon's Souls and Dark Souls is back and it's better than ev... not really. It's the same. It's still fun. It's main problem is that the Cracked Red Eye Orbs you need to invade someone are pretty hard to obtain and very rare until you can buy an infinite amount on NG+. I wish they gave you way more of them way earlier instead of making it way less likely for people on NG+ to get invaded. Soul Memory, of course, complicates things as well. Anyway, here's how it works: You use a Cracked Red Eye Orb and invade another player's game. You then hunt that player down and make cocky gesture if you win. You then need to win so loving many times to actually get a reward. You can also duel other covenant members using the statues near Gren, but you need a Token of Spite to actually duel as well.

To join: with 1 Token of Spite, talk to Titchy Gren and he'll let you join and give you the Crest of Blood a ring that adds strenghtens the bleed effect of bleed weapons.
50 Kills - You get a curved twinblade. You'll also get some kinda Aura I've never seen.
150 Kills - You get the Crescent Sickle, a reaper type weapon. Also more Aura I've never seen.
500 loving KILLS - You get Grens Scythe and Robes as well as Great Chaos Fireball, a pyromancy that was really easy to get in the first game maybe too easy. I'm not gonna get it through the covenant in Dark Souls II because I'm not gonna win or even fight 500 invasions or duels.

As far as some people claim you get one kill, or rather point, deducted every time you lose. So that's funny too. Welcome to Dark Souls and gently caress you too. Gonna tell me to git gud, huh? That what you wanna tell me???
I honestly don't know if this is actually the case though and I'm not going to find out by testing. I also don't care because I'm just gonna buy the spell on NG++ once we reach a certain Merchant. He will only sell it on an actual NG++, yes two pluses. And using Ascetics doesn't work. It's one of the few things you can't use an Ascetic for.

Item Descriptions:
Crest of Blood
Ring of the Brotherhood of Blood Covenant.
This is nothing special. Perhaps, in the end, an oath is but a window into the ambitions of the oath taker.
If you have taken this oath, then you know what you want. To be soaked in the blood of your kind.
Note: The description says it's nothing special, but it actually has an effect. It adds further bleed damage to any weapon that already has a bleed effect on it allowing you to make your opponents bleed faster.

Curved Twinblade
A twinblade imported from a foreign land. The razor-sharp blades cause bleeding, but as a result, are easily worn and dulled. When wielded by a master, this dual-tipped blade is an unparalleled weapon that hardly allows a foe any opportunity to retaliate...

Crescent Sickle
A sickle with a crescent-shaped blade.
This sickle, enchanted by magic,
is not intended as a weapon,
but rather a ceremonial instrument.

Great Chaos Fireball
Dark Souls II: The Chaos Flame is said to have devoured the mother of pyromancy.
Create a chaos flame, and hurl it at foes.
This special flame creates a short-lived surge of molten lava wherever it lands
Dark Souls: Art of the Flame of Chaos, which engulfed the Witch of Izalith and her daughters. Hurl giant chaos fireball.
The Flames of Chaos can melt stone, producing a short-lived lava glob.

Scythe of Nahr Alma
The scythe used by Titchy Gren, and by believers in Nahr Alma, god of blood.
Normally used only in ceremonies. Imbued with the power of dark.
This is no place for talk of such things, however

Dispatcher Set of Armor
Armor worn by Tiny Gren.
Blessed with the protection of the god of war Nahr Alma. This armor is much heavier than it looks, overwhelmed by the blood that it has absorbed

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

That back attack animation is really cool actually. Just run those fuckers through! Also yeah, from what I've seen Faith builds got hit with the nerf stick super hard. I mean, they were perhaps a little too good before but from some of the stuff I've seen, they're not even worth the effort anymore.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

In case anyone missed it, here's a replay of the player ghost in front of Titchy Gren:

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=Qo-0VKEegYc&p=n#/737;744

edit: decided to loop it

PRL412 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 15, 2014

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Not dodging through the chariot all the way, 0/10.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

That back attack animation is really cool actually. Just run those fuckers through! Also yeah, from what I've seen Faith builds got hit with the nerf stick super hard. I mean, they were perhaps a little too good before but from some of the stuff I've seen, they're not even worth the effort anymore.

Not true at all. While I agree lightning spear got a bit too much of a nerf (it should either be the old strength with the reduced casts, or reduced strength with the old number of casts) Blinding Bolt, Heavenly Thunder, and WoG are all still really good (and Heavenly Thunder you can get quite early). Faith isn't really meant to be an offensive magic class in the first place; you still got Force (excellent for knocking tough human-sized enemies into pits), the Heal line for extra healing, Resplendent Life for constant healing (really good for PVP too), and a few others I'm forgetting. Plus Faith weapons are still fantastic.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Also, there are some really good faith scaling weapons like the bow of want or the heide sword. Plus, the dlc has a ring that boosts lightning damage. Really, the difference now is that you'll have to save your lightning spears for tougher enemies/bosses instead of chucking them at anything that looks at you funny.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

There's a second way to take down the chariot, if you're not inclined to wade through both necromancers; by staying in the alcove nearest the entrance, and with a good sense of timing, you can snipe the Chariot down to around 25-30% health, where the horse becomes too weak to leap the gap in the passage. Kill off the other necromancer and the skeletons, and you can then drop the chariot down the pit by hacking at the horse's head and forelegs.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Sel Nar posted:

There's a second way to take down the chariot, if you're not inclined to wade through both necromancers; by staying in the alcove nearest the entrance, and with a good sense of timing, you can snipe the Chariot down to around 25-30% health, where the horse becomes too weak to leap the gap in the passage. Kill off the other necromancer and the skeletons, and you can then drop the chariot down the pit by hacking at the horse's head and forelegs.

This is actually really cool and the first time I hear of it. Pure tedium to pull that off though. I don't really see a reason to do it except for novelty's sake.
But here's a video of it I found: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx47ML2z8GM

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
It goes a lot faster if you have lightning spears. If you have far-reaching weapons you can hit it with those too as it passes you by. Last time I just whipped that dumb horse to death.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Honestly, I think the best way to deal with the skeletons harassing you is either casting Yearn, or throwing Alluring Skulls. They run right out into the chariot's path. :allears: This makes getting to the boss in later playthroughs considerably easier.

You should have a handful of the latter by the time you get here, and Shalquoir sells some more.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Speaking of cool videos, a guy did this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ecS0yKnNLA

This game is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

As far as a gimmick fight goes, the chariot is a pretty neat fight.
I can attest to it being annoying on repeat attempts mind you.

But given it's up against fights like the tree thing in DS1, it's not really against much competition.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 16, 2014

• Locked thread