Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

ChaosArgate posted:

It's not even that hard. The games expect you to play methodically and once you get into that mindset, it's a lot easier to get into the game. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't seem to understand that you need to play smart instead of rushing in stupidly.

Look okay, I've fought this guy FOUR TIMES NOW
I just want to progr---aaaa why am I fallllliiinnng.

Also: auto-repair gear - still have to pay for arrows >: (

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Mazed posted:

I love the Skeleton Lords so much. :allears:

Hard fight, no, but the closest thing to intentional comedy that the Souls series has ever had. Three big enemies in lifeguard chairs made of bones, armies of spooky, spooky skeletons (including the iconic bonewheels), and perfectly cheesy music that sounds like something out of Nightmare Before Christmas.

No kidding; was grinning like an idiot the whole fight when I found them in my first playthrough, and I actually laughed out loud when the wheel skeletons showed up.

This weapon disappointed me. Not just because of the mediocre strength, but the fact that the strong attacks no longer use the animation where you grip it by the crossbar, which had been a key factor in the original concept art for it. It wasn't even that great in the original game, but at least you had that little bit of flavor.

Also it felt goddamn glorious using it to slay the Hellkite Drake. :black101:

I cheered IRL when the bonewheels showed up.
I co-opped the boss about 6 times because it's so much fun.
BOOONNNNEEEEWHEEEELLLSSSSSS

Edit: Merciless Rowenna's hat is the best dressup hat. Also gets you bonus souls from kills.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 22, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Yapping Eevee posted:

I cannot adequately express just how happy this change made me. 3000 Souls is roughly sod-all once you get going, and they make getting your bloodstain back a bit less tense. I mean, there's even a free one in No-Man's Wharf every playthrough. What more do you want?

My NG+++ character has 9 of them (due to a bad case of videogame hoarder behaviour). They're one of the few things you really shouldn't sell to Gavlan. (Gavlan for best NPC. :black101:)

WHEEL!

It is the greatest change. I have 2 of the things, and they save me so many souls.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It annoyed me a lot early on. But after a bit, I don't mind it too much.

Besides needing to go back and farm the Desert Sorceress set. I have the sweet pants!

Edit: At least now I can feel okay about not getting the treasure in Scorpion Lady's chamber.

Though sad at missing Scorpion-Bro lines.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 22, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Smelter demo made me sad. macing people had gone so well all area, then you hit smelter demon, and I never really figured out what he's actually vulnerable to.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Glazius posted:

Oh. The cage elevators exactly big enough to hold a human body. So those are back.

Still just as creepy.

I'd say these ones are worse.

McDuff sells the OTHER most important item
Which is infinite Greatarrows.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 3, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

As far as a gimmick fight goes, the chariot is a pretty neat fight.
I can attest to it being annoying on repeat attempts mind you.

But given it's up against fights like the tree thing in DS1, it's not really against much competition.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 16, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I can get having a love hate relationship with this area. Some parts of the area are great. Others. not so much. Poison statuesssss >: (

I love areas requiring the torch in general though. so I may be weird.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I sunbro'd this fight with a torch in my offhand and just learnt to dodge. Plus I ran around with a torch a lot. Praise the sun! And/or light.

Also, the bug in the Lost Sinner fight reminds me more of the one that eats Solaire in Dark Souls.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 21, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Discendo Vox posted:

A major problem with DS2 for me is that there is a failure state of sorts- the threshold when enemies stop respawning. It's the one thing I really wish the game hadn't included, or had at least made optional.

That, and soul memory working how it does changes how death works in DS2 a lot from DS1.
Though DS1 had no dick move Bonfires, unlike DS2.

But it sucks when you keep dying, and find out that means you're horribly underlevelled v everyone else at the same power level.

Or get invaded by the same. Oh, you have a Soul Memory of 1.2 million. Have fun getting murdered by someone with twice your stats because you're bad at video games!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Genocyber posted:

That is not a thing that happens. Losing a few thousand souls here or there is not going to make you much weaker than any invaders. Not to mention that's a moot point in the first place since you're not going to get invaded unless you're looking for it (by being a Sinner, going to a Belfry or a Ratbro area).

You under-estimate the number of times I've lost 15-20k+ souls...

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Paracelsus posted:

Less expensive than losing 15-20k souls, though. And you don't need to wear the ring all the time, just when you have enough souls to not want to lose them.

Yeah. They're pretty cheap. I just forget sometimes. Or think "Nah, these guys are easy, I'll wear x instead."

*dies*

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The spiders are much less of dicks than the other dickmove bonfires.

The mages are still pretty brutal on newgame if you leave them alone.

Try ranged battle.

Edit: Unlike Firestorm and Heavenly Thunder, Scraps of Life hits everything around you. It's all kinds of amazing, really.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 4, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

IGgy IGsen posted:

Yeah, even firestorm is still good in the few situations where you can pull it off. Though the miracle and hex equivalents are better, no doubt.

People tend to play more attention to damage numbers than the utility of the moves/spells themselves sometimes I'm afraid. Which is why you see so many people who only use the mace because it does great damage considering the low stat investment but I found the moveset caused more trouble to me than the relatively high damage helped me get through situations. Almost every weapon is completely viable in Dark Souls and maybe to a larger extent in Dark Souls II. Same is true for a lot of spells people say are useless. Unless it's a basic projectile (the "low" damage they do is completely justified, they'd be too good otherwise) they just require a little more situational awareness and careful thinking, which is what makes the interesting.

Morning stars and reinforced clubs were my go-to weapon in DS1. in DS2 though they're just too slow to use reliably, except for a few particular enemies with high slash/pierce resist.
that said, my go to weapon has been longswords or some such, so I am not exactly an expert by any measure

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Bigger problem: Gwyddolyn of New Londo is an illusion! There's no hair to take!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The other thing people (read: me) may have been waiting for is the lava walking ring like you got in DS1.

Which is a shame, because I love the Chaos range of spells.

Edit: I do really like the Looking Glass Knight boss fight. He's not super hard, but he's got neat gimmicks (like the shield.)

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Glazius posted:

I really like how this game just dumps entire outfits on you when you do a quest for somebody. Fashion Souls indeed.

Oh, thanks for helping out. TAKE MY CLOTHES.

• Locked thread