Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dark Souls II - aka :words: the game. I like how NPCs have a lot of lore to give, and how you have to exhaust their dialogue to get poo poo, but it's annoying after the first playthrough and you have to spend a fair amount of time mashing through their dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Agility linearly improves estus drink time (maybe some other animations, but not anything to do with shields or weapons) and increases iframes on rolling in a nonlinear way. 100 agility is optimal, 115 agility gives the most iframes.

From 85 to 105 Agi you gain one roll iframe every five points. 105 is most optimal since it gives you the same amount of iframes that the fastroll in Dark Souls had (13). 110 Agi gives nothing but 115 give 2 more iframes (15 total), which is equal to the number of iframes the ninja flip in Dark Souls had, with 120 giving 1 more iframe than that (16 total).

quote:

It really is not that difficult, it's just one of those games where it's easy to gimp yourself (at least relatively speaking) by missing an item or NPC or choosing to use the wrong weapons or spells, probably moreso than in the original.

That's not even remotely true. One of the great things about the Souls games is that they are more skill-based than stat-based, so even if you stat yourself poorly you can still make it through the game easily enough. Since scaling in this is poor in general, it's very difficult to stat yourself poorly (as long as you can wield a weapon one-handed and keep it upgraded, you're fine) and if you do there is a respec option.

To beat the game with relative ease, even if it's your first time, you don't need more than a decent weapon (which you can just by from a shop), a decent shield, and lifegems, none of which you can miss.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

These things are all very easily missable for people who aren't familiar with this type of game. The first person I introduced to Dark Souls 2 took several hours to find the Emerald Herald and didn't have enough game knowledge to be able to identify the difference between good and lovely weapons.

Well if you're not familiar with the type of game of course you're going to be terrible and miss a lot of basic poo poo, same is true of any game genre or type. Assuming you have basic experience with RPGs and/or action games you shouldn't be missing that kind of stuff.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kloro posted:

A lot of people miss the Emerald Herald the first time through Majula - this isn't down to "being terrible" or lacking "basic experience", this is down to her starting position being tucked away on the cliff edge blending into the scenery, and since you're naturally going to be heading to the big tower that dominates the skyline you're probably going to go straight past her. It's bad level design pure and simple, and not the only example of it in the early parts of the game. I really enjoyed this game, but it does definitely have its flaws and a lot of them come right near the beginning of the game, so I can see why they might sour people on it.

And they're idiots. Aside from the fact that you should always be thoroughly exploring any level before moving onto the next, aside form it being the first area and so probably has goodies if you look, there's also the fact that she's pretty noticeable from her original position of standing at the cliff's edge. She can be very clearly seen from the bonfire and when you move to and back from the monument. Unless you're paying virtually no attention you can't miss her.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Brumaldo posted:

Some enemy animations are also sped up at 60 fps. If I'm not mistaken the Alonne Captains are an egregious example. I've seen a comparison video, and on the PC version they're basically in hyper mode.

This says otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1yn5OD5WbM

Alonne Knights can have absurdly sped up animations, but this also happens in console as well.

As for the weapon durability, you only lose more durability when striking corpses and other non-hostile models (such as phantoms). Living enemies, walls, etc. aren't affected by this glitch. As a result only certain weapons that will hit the corpse with the same attack that kills an enemy (namely halberds and great hammers) will be at a disadvantage. Everything else is fine so long as you don't spam attacks after killing an enemy.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

Oh, I'm just bad at actually using them properly. But eventually I'll have to revisit some of the weapon types because there aren't nearly enough to have a new one for the roughly 30 episodes this will take. So I'll probably give them another shot at some point.

I do have to say though that they are good at controlling clustered enemies. As long as you switch your lock-on at the right moment you can just switch enemies mid attack and fairly easily keep a group of two or even three in check if you're positioned properly.

Doesn't help that a number of the twinblades have really poo poo damage, and the easiest one to get (Twinblade) is pretty much the worst.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

He can be made slightly harder by just not enhancing the arena with one or both of the switches but unless this is your first time and you want to (and should) play it safe this isn't required at all.

Correction: he can be made easier by not throwing the switches thanks to the falling method you mentioned in the video. For those who don't know, you wait at the entrance and after the Dragonrider takes 7 steps forward, you dash around to the right (his left side) and he'll do a thrust then fall off. I just go to Heide's first and do this for some easy souls on all my characters now since it's so simple.

quote:

Note: This bow uses more Stamina to draw the string than any other bow class weapons. Excluding greatbows, of course. It's also one of the highest damaging bows.

It also has a slightly longer draw speed, which can be helpful for PVP as people tend to gently caress up dodging it more than other bows.

quote:

Dragonslayer Spear

Ah the dragonslayer spear. It is such a poo poo weapon in this. Absolutely garbage damage, really heavy, weak r2s, not particularly great reach. They took one of the best weapons in Dks and made it complete garbage. Rip.

Also in the video you mention sweet spot damage in Dks. It's been a while since I've played it but I'm pretty sure that's not true. I never heard anything about that or experienced it myself. There was the direct hit system in Demon's but I think that only counted for large weapons like greathammers.

SpruceZeus posted:

I... honestly really like the Bastille's aesthetic. It reminded me of the Painted World a little. And also, just a bit, of the Tower of Latria. Being perpetually moonlit is pretty cool, and the whole place just feels really desolate and lonely. It's very nice.

Agreed. The whole "moonlit twilight" aspect of the area is really neat.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

If you're doing an actual Belmont run you have a backup whip for your whip. Bloodied Whip is best for that, being the strongest whip after Old Whip.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Uh the Pike is really loving awful. It has some lance moves, like Pate's Spear, but obscenely low damage; you can't really get more than ~260 AR, making it pretty much the weakest spear.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The ng+ Flexile Sentry fight is really disappointing since they nerfed the Suspicious Shadows. Prior to w/e calibrations patch that was, on ng+ they had ~1500 HP and did much more damage, and their bleed did like 90% of your HP (don't know if that's nerfed since that's never happened to me). Now that they've been nerfed I guess they could still kill you the first time when you're not expecting it, but even on ng+7 you can just rush to the closest one and spam to kill him immediately, then use the pole to keep Flexile away while you deal with the other. Makes farming them for their poo poo easier at least.

Some notes about the weapons and poo poo.

Warped Sword gives a special powerstance l2 move. A double hitting spinny thing similar to one of Flexile's moves.

Arced Sword is one of the few curved greatswords in this game. It's pretty much completely worse than the others (aside from looking cooler imo). They're the few heavy hitting dex scaling weapons, and have knockdown (with the 2hand r2s) and they can pierce player shields with the 1handed r1s.

Barbed Club is special in that it is best if infused with an element. When infused with an element, in addition to adding a bit of elemental damage, the physical base damage is increased, and although the scaling is lowered this still leads to an overall increase in damage. Also ups the bleed damage.

Not sure why you don't have anything listed about the shadow set. Very good set on the whole. Armor is light and looks baller, gauntlets add 30 bleed buildup to your weapons, the Malformed Claws pierce shields but have crap damage, and the Shadow Dagger is stronger than the regular Dagger and has a higher crit modifier (which is being lowered in the upcoming patch).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

I remember something like this being in the initial, poorly translated list, but I don't see it in the properly translated patch notes you posted in the PC thread.

You're right, I keep mixing up stuff from the google translation and actual translations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The same was true in Dks. You could not get Ricard's or Petrus's armor. Although at least in their cases, the armor sets were actual fully implemented items that were just dummied out, so you could very easily get them with a save editor/cheat engine.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I thought Ricard was just wearing the Elite Knight's Set?

Meant Rickert.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Iron Keep is fantastic. The snipers are all perfectly placed to gently caress with you when fighting the enemies, kinda like a better Anor Londo archers.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Not really, the snipers are pretty good at hitting you no matter where you go. Not to mention the enemies are setup such that you cannot just easily run oast them to Smelter.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's not really worth using that shortcut, since it's a lot safer to just run past all the enemies on the normal route.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

My take has always been that Straid is from a time early enough to still know about the Witch of Izalith, but late enough for the truth to be obfuscated a bit. He even says "But legends are legends."

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Arcade Rabbit posted:

That back attack animation is really cool actually. Just run those fuckers through! Also yeah, from what I've seen Faith builds got hit with the nerf stick super hard. I mean, they were perhaps a little too good before but from some of the stuff I've seen, they're not even worth the effort anymore.

Not true at all. While I agree lightning spear got a bit too much of a nerf (it should either be the old strength with the reduced casts, or reduced strength with the old number of casts) Blinding Bolt, Heavenly Thunder, and WoG are all still really good (and Heavenly Thunder you can get quite early). Faith isn't really meant to be an offensive magic class in the first place; you still got Force (excellent for knocking tough human-sized enemies into pits), the Heal line for extra healing, Resplendent Life for constant healing (really good for PVP too), and a few others I'm forgetting. Plus Faith weapons are still fantastic.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

For the RRA's short charge, you want to strafe backwards from him, then roll backwards right before he stops and pushes with his head. If you do this right you'll dodge it every time.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

Even though there are Berserk games I've heard people say that the Souls games are the closest to an actual Berserk game you can get. Having not played any of the official games I can't really say if that holds true.

I would say the Berserk ps2 game is the closest you could get to the tone of the manga. That is, being mentally wounded by the tedium of killing an infinity of the same demons over and over (a shame too, since the combat is actually pretty decent, just weighed down by them throwing way too many enemies at you to kill).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Being bigger would make it terrible. It works wonderfully as the confusing and stressful clusterfuck it is.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

I meant Nito, yes. Pile of skeletons compared to pile of corpses - functionally they may be different but that'd be mostly because Nito was an interesting boss and Rotten just flails at you.
I think the difference is how we perceive the bosses; you seem to be more concerned with function while I meant mostly aesthetics and art direction, and in that the whole area down the well was a massive disappointment. I can't help but think they'd be better off with making just one area that'd slowly shift and progress into the Black Gulch. But hey, that's just armchair design.

Rotten is a hell of a lot more aesthetically interesting than Nito. Nito is some skeletons with some black stuff, the rotten is hundreds and hundreds of corpses. And most of them wiggle. And there's one who is giving orders to the Rotten.

Also Nito pretty much just flails at you as well.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Pre-Render Nito is a really good design. The mass of skeletons aren't just placed about randomly and his cape thing actually works. Too bad it didn't translate to the game too well.

Yeah that Nito is great. In-game is just kinda bleh. And really silly once you see just the model, since the black shadowey stuff is an effect added after.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I prefer the Gargoyles here to Dks. In Dks they were a joke since you could easily finish off the first before the second could come out, and even if you didn't it wasn't hard to manage them.

Adding more is a good way of increasing the challenge, if not the most interesting way. Not to mention that the Gargoyles fight significantly differently than their Dks counterparts.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

I don't think they are corpses. They are supposed to be dolls and what we see on the pile are parts of them. It's just that only one of them seems to be animated. It kinda explains why the one in Sol and Luna are carbon copies with a little word-replace going on. Kinda.

You're forgetting all the ones you fight in the Belfries.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Migeman posted:

Fun videos, although I do think myself and other people found the Lost Sinner pretty hard the first time especially as it seems like most people come here for their first big soul. I'm also impressed you took down the bed of Chaos without falling in a hole.

Lost Sinner also got nerfed to oblivion with the patch that came with the PC release. Way less HP and less damage. The pyromancers in ng+ also got a significant hp and damage nerf.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

That, and soul memory working how it does changes how death works in DS2 a lot from DS1.
Though DS1 had no dick move Bonfires, unlike DS2.

But it sucks when you keep dying, and find out that means you're horribly underlevelled v everyone else at the same power level.

Or get invaded by the same. Oh, you have a Soul Memory of 1.2 million. Have fun getting murdered by someone with twice your stats because you're bad at video games!

That is not a thing that happens. Losing a few thousand souls here or there is not going to make you much weaker than any invaders. Not to mention that's a moot point in the first place since you're not going to get invaded unless you're looking for it (by being a Sinner, going to a Belfry or a Ratbro area).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

liquidypoo posted:

Spend an appreciable amount of time trying to organize co-op in the beginning of Iron Keep (or anywhere, really) and then tell us invasions don't happen :allears:

They don't.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Being drenched reduces your lightning defense by a certain amount depending on what drenches you. I want to say the water pots remove 200 lightning and add 200 fire. Elemental defense is a % reduction, with 100 equaling to a 20% reduction (with a 10% increase for every 100 more defense)

Also this is only tangentially related, but enemies do not follow the exact same system for defense as players do. A guy on the wikidot wiki has been doing a lot of testing and found this out.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/resistance

Enemy defenses are tiers that provide a specific % reduction, ranging from none to outright immune.

And then they got another slightly different system for physical defenses.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/weakness

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 27, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

I've heard some people like to troll others by using the Warmth Pyromancy which heals Freja and everything else, the AI Phantom you can summon is mostly useless, he can tank hits but Freja can only be damaged by hitting her heads, which he rarely seems to do.

I'm pretty sure they patched it so that can't happen any more.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It and Heavenly Thunder are still fantastic since you can move immediately after casting. It was the firestorm spells that were hit really hard by that nerf.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oh no, no no no. Dont bother with the fume sword. It is absolute crap.
It doesn't do nearly as much damage as it announces.

And with Dex scaling being, well, crap, it doesn't really bode well for the fume sword.

The sun, drakekeeper, Red rust, hell even the Varangian swords are better.

Fume Sword is amazing. Less so in PVE than PVP but still pretty good there too. The extra range is so good; it's like the Black Knight Greatsword of the straight swords. Just gotta make sure you buff it with the Dark Pine Resin to take advantage of the native Dark, and use RoB+2 and ideally Flynn's.

And other ones with the sun sword moveset are the Foot Soldier's Sword and the Ashen Warrior Sword. But both are a bit crap, The Ashen warrior though much less than the foot soldier's.

Also considering that most Dragon Bone weapons get crazy powerful on upgrade the ones that don't are just that much more underwhelming.

All of these things are untrue. FSS and AWS do not have share the Sun Sword moveset, they share a moveset with the Short Sword, which is pretty much all pokes. And they are both very good; FSS is fantastic for mage builds due to its very low requirements and being pretty good for infusion (it's also a decent physical option for making Raw) and AWS is a bit better for quality builds due to its higher damage and slightly higher durability, as well as the increased length.

The DLC weapons that don't get high boosts with upgrades are a good thing. This means they're nearly at full power without a single upgrade, which is very nice.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Its absolutely terrible is what it is.
It makes using katanas an unrewarding chore.

At least most big assed weapons have 50+ durability.

I've never had an issue with it, personally.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

Nope. Im aware no queen is mentioned in the first game. I'm suggesting that a queen similar to Vendrick's is a possibility. As unlikely as that may be but assuming a cyclical nature to the story it's something that can be considered even if there are no explicit links. Crackpot theories like these are why I like the way souls games present their story.

Given what the Queens are that is very unlikely. Given how big Gwyn was on partitioning out pieces of his soul, I always figured he created his children from chunks of his soul.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Slow_Moe posted:

Either way, I just found it weird that they have the instructions for the puzzle AFTER the puzzle.

It's not meant to be instructions for the puzzle so much as an explanation for what the gently caress it is.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

2 would be fun. Fighting goons is fun and I haven't been able to really do that since the arena in Dark Souls.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

Yeah, you can parry most humanoid bosses.

You can also parry dogs. And the weird monstrosities from Sinner's Rise.
You can parry a lot of things you wouldn't expect to parry but I forget mentioning it because I never do it.

There's a video on Youtube of a guy parrying every monster in the game that you can. I couldn't find it. :( Hope it hasn't been removed for w/e reason.

As for the fight club, I think ~5 mil is a good amount for you to be. That should allow people from 2 mil to 9 mil tiers to place a red sign and be summoned (white sign ranges, especially with the name engraved ring, are even larger). Also make sure to use the Name-engraved ring to reduce the chance of someone else picking up signs.

If someone wins too many matches in a row, fight them yourself. If you kill them, don't summon them again for a bit. If they kill you, don't summon them for a bit.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Tae posted:

I'm saying "what" because Gower was nerfed like 5 patches ago to stop being invincible.

It really wasn't. You still only take ~5-10% damage from attacks from the back.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dark Chasm of Old is one of my favorite areas. A challenging but manageable area if you're careful, with one of the best bosses in the series. Plus it's super fun to invade people there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

i'll be taking part if I don't forget. Character will probably be named Stalwart Warrior.

• Locked thread