Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZebraBlade
Mar 26, 2010

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark

I thought it would be a nice change to get a little creativity going in TFR, so what would your ideal competition stage(s) be? USPSA/IPSC, IDPA, 3gun, long range, Cowboy Action, or some unholy combination of all of them. Try to keep it semi-realistic, no space shuttle door gunning or shooting plate racks on the moon with a satellite based railgun. No impossible stuff like shooting matchsticks at 2 miles, it should be a stage or competition the majority of shooters in the discipline could complete, it should be to see who can do it best, not who can actually do it. Equipment and stage rules can be bent or broken, as long as it doesn't get super dangerous. You can have people use their own guns or specify stage guns, whatever. Please get creative and share your ideas or feel free to mock mine. Feel free to use drawings or photos to better explain your stages, which I will not be doing as I have the artistic skills of large dog with perpetual diarrhea.

I like the "final" stage that Top Shot does, but I think something much longer and higher round count would be a great test for the best, and make the distances between shooting stations further away so physical fatigue becomes a bigger factor like a biathlon. First shooting position is a one mile distance to target, with a Anzio 20mm rifle on a target the size of a car or truck, as many rounds as you need are provided, one hit to advance. The Second shooting position is a 1000yd distance to target with a .338lap rifle or .50 of some variety, even have a few at the station the shooter could choose from, have the target be a 4ft x 4ft square steel target, one hit to advance, again unlimited rounds if needed. Third station would be a 600 yard distance with a M1A or .308 AR pattern semi auto, engage 3 standard size steel USPSA torso targets to advance, 75 rounds pre loaded in mags provided. Fourth stage would be 300 yard distance, engage 4 standard size steel plate racks with a low power (1-4x or Acog fixed power) optic AR, 100 rounds provided pre loaded in mags. Fifth stage is a little different, 150 yard distance with a 3ft x 3ft steel plate, 150 rounds of lose 7.62x54r, a rack of Mosin rifles, fire all rounds at the target, any missed shots would add ~10-30 seconds to total time. Sixth stage 100 yard distance, enage 30 standard size steel poppers with open sight or red dot AR or AK, 60 rounds provided not loaded in mags. Seventh stage 100 yard distance, various intermediate caliber belt-feds with 100 round belts (M249 SAW, RPD, etc) engage 20 cardboard IPSC targets, 3 hits on each to eliminate. Eighth stage 50-20 yard shots, table full of various submachineguns (all same caliber), one empty magazine for each gun, 76 steel poppers (38 big, 38 small) varying in distance, 500 loose rounds in a box on the table with the guns. Ninth stage, 50 yards to targets, multiple bolt action and lever action 22lr rifles to choose from, eliminate 50 cans of pop/soda set on top of wooden posts, can has to rupture to be eliminated, 200 rounds provided. Tenth stage 30 yards to target, table with a variety of revolvers, no speedloaders or moonclips, eliminate 100 ceramic dinner plates arranged in a 5x20 grid, unlimited rounds, all must be eliminated before advancing. Eleventh stage 25 yards to targets, 50 clay pigeons fixed to steel holders, multiple pump action 12g shotguns to choose from, eliminate all targets before advancing, unlimited rounds. Twelfth and final stage, shooter returns all the way back to the first firing position, while doing so can retrieve any firearm and however many rounds of ammo they can carry on the way, no ammo is replenished, eliminate a single steel popper at 250 yards, timer finally stops once popper falls.

It would be one big multiple mile long target berm, with each stage 200-300 yards away laterally and however long distance wise (example going between stage 2 and 3 would be 500 yards up range and 2-300 yards to the left)
Timer keeps going from first shot to last target falling. RO would get to use a golf cart or something similar with water and other amenities for the shooter. Any non-neutralized targets on a stage with limited ammo would add to your overall time. Maybe different time penalties depending on the stage, whatever balances to not have shooters skip targets on purpose yet not destroy their chances if they miss one or two. Multiple guns would be available on each stage in case of a malfunction, timer keeps going for clearing jams or swapping guns due to malfunctions. A few more pistol or shotgun stages could be added. Ideally it would take around one hour or longer total to complete.

My other idea is pretty different but would be really fun so bear with me. The end goal is to shoot one plate rack at 100 yards, one plate rack at 200 yards, one plate rack at 300 yards, and one plate rack at 400 yards all in the least amount of time. The timer starts as you open the door to a workshop, one wall is outfitted with all the tools you would need to assemble a AR platform rifle, another wall has shelves of every assorted AR part you would need (lowers, barrels, triggers, optics, etc) with nothing pre-assembled and multiple choices for every part, another wall has a nice single stage reloading bench setup with everything you would need, another wall would have everything you would need to create a load (brass, bullets, primers, powder). The range is right outside the shop. I guess there could be a 25yard and 100yard paper target for sighting in. Build a rifle, workup a load, knock down all the plates. Person with the fastest time gets to keep the rifle they build or some other prize who gives a poo poo. Obviously some oversight would be needed to make sure the rifles and ammo is safe.

So how about you, what are your ideal competition stages?

ZebraBlade fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

rollin' with that 6.5

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

holy poo poo hot

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I've seen video of this done (I think Top Shot did something similar to this), but never shot it myself. Take two 2x4's, pound them into the ground so they're standing up. Two competitors, one for each 2x4. First one to cut their 2x4 in half, wins.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Whoever made those alien facehugger exploding targets + poppers + pistol gripped ithaca 37 = something amazing.

I'd love to see boats involved somehow. Take a zodiac up, ladder up some obstacles,and clear a mock bridge.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Crosspost from the competition thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7CU2j0PuyQ

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

The public land deer huntin' challenge.

Starting with a NIB a magnum bolt action (300 Win, 7mm mag, 300 RAUM) and mount a Tasco scope on top using a 1/2" drive socket wrench. Fire no more than 3 rounds to sight in using the hood of your truck as a rest. This portion not timed but points awarded for the most expensive base gun, cheapest ammo and ft-lbs of torque applied to the scope rings as well as a bonus for rounds sent through the hood scoop.

Stage 1: "The tirdy point buck" Starting really hung over climb in your truck with your loaded rifle, light a cigarette and drive as fast as possible along a gravel road until you see the cones at which point you stomp on the brakes and fire out the window until empty at the game warden planted robo deer. This whole time you are required to keep the lit cigarette in your mouth.

Stage 2: "A different kind of drive" Starting in a box with 6 cans of Busch Light and Remington 7400 with see through scope rings you have 60 seconds until 4 targets begin appearing at 200 yards moving towards you as close as 20 yards. The catch is you can't pick up the gun until you finish your first 5 beers. The last maybe consumed while shooting.

Stage 3: "Some 'em move over there" This takes places in a very brown woodlands with IDPA brown targets barely visible. Random pieces of brush have strings tied to them and you shoot where ever you see movement. One target is designated the "brother in law" and shooting him is worth double points.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Lots of these

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

devmd01 posted:

rollin' with that 6.5

five

Bummey posted:

Lots of these

star

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

This stage is to be played by couples/friends/partners/buddies. One guy gets the lower part of a rifle and the upper of a handgun, while the other gets the lower of a handgun and the upper of a rifle

Then every competitor has to find his battle buddy (maybe blindfold the competitors and put them in a room?), assemble their guns and go through a stage where the rifle guy shoots at 200 yds target while the pistol guy engages targets at closer range.

FauxhawkSatan
Mar 27, 2010

A realistic IDPA stage. There is only 1 target and it's like 5 feet in front of you, at the sound of the buzzer you drawn and engage the target by magdumping uncontrollably while pissing/making GBS threads yourself. Then you vomit and cry afterwards.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Doc_Awesome posted:

at the sound of the buzzer you drawn and engage the target by magdumping uncontrollably while pissing/making GBS threads yourself. Then you vomit and cry afterwards.

Remind me not to SO any stages you shoot next time you shoot a match with me.

thermobollocks
Jul 5, 2009

GET A DILLON

Doc_Awesome posted:

A realistic IDPA stage. There is only 1 target and it's like 5 feet in front of you, at the sound of the buzzer you drawn and engage the target by magdumping uncontrollably while pissing/making GBS threads yourself. Then you vomit and cry afterwards.

I always phrase that as "dump cylinder into 1 target at contact distance then sprint 50 yards to the nearest payphone" but no one knows what the gently caress a payphone is anymore.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

WitchFetish posted:

This stage is to be played by couples/friends/partners/buddies. One guy gets the lower part of a rifle and the upper of a handgun, while the other gets the lower of a handgun and the upper of a rifle

Then every competitor has to find his battle buddy (maybe blindfold the competitors and put them in a room?), assemble their guns and go through a stage where the rifle guy shoots at 200 yds target while the pistol guy engages targets at closer range.

Stalingrad.

Two competitors, A has his mags on his belt and B has the unloaded firearm. Start some distance apart.
Hand 1 mag to A who engages the targets in the first portal. A "dies", makes the gun safe, leaves it on a barrel, then exits the stage.
B runs in, picks up the gun, and finishes the stage.

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

Leningrad:

A normal IPSC-ey shooting stage, but the shooter must eat a cooked turkey leg out of a boot at the start of the stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

delete everything after Bummey, lock thread and goldmine.

• Locked thread