Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I think it's based on how often you use fire to scare it off, and it also seems to reset between levels possibly implying that you're facing a different alien each time, but that's contradicted somewhat by the fact that the alien attacks stop entirely after the alien gets jettisoned with the lab.

There are a few times in the game where it lets you go places that you've already been that aren't part of the mission, but there are no enemies or music. That's far creepier to me than having the alien actively hunting me but I can't articulate why. I went into San Cristobel Hospital right before the Seegson Synthetics mission because I wanted to see if it would let me. It did, and after 30 seconds of poking around I got a serious case of the jibblies and just NOPED out of there even though the rational part of me knew that it was 100% safe.

Also, the first time you reach the MedSci transit area, there are three survivors in the (then) sealed-off front entrance to the hospital. Three identical survivors, with character models that I haven't seen elsewhere that I mistook at first for Working Joes, standing still, staring at me, saying nothing. Creeped me right out, man.

ChickenHeart posted:

Probably my favorite Working Joe line from the game, second only to "you are becoming hysterical." (usually because they're in the middle of strangling me while they're saying it)

"Why not ask me about Sevastopol safety protocols?"

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If you use fire to scare off the alien, it will come back rather quickly. You should leave the area or hide to throw it off your trail.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IIRC if it starts charging you and knocking you over, it's time to stop using fire.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

In my experience, the best strategy after scaring it off with fire even the first time is to get some distance and hide, and resume moving only when it starts banging around in the vents at random. You'll run out of gas quickly if that's the only measure you use against it, especially with the way it gets more brave after each attack.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Alain Post posted:

IIRC if it starts charging you and knocking you over, it's time to stop using fire.

It'll charge and knock you over any time it's in flight mode, but you are close enough for it to get to you, and are facing it. If you aren't facing it, it'll just take the opportunity to kill you. You can absolutely blast it with flame, but if its best route to a vent has you in the way, it'll just knock you down. Best thing to do in general is be a reasonable distance away, and be able to get out of the way once it starts running.

And yeah, if you don't move away from where it last encountered you (without making noise), it'll come back to your last known area once it has reason to come back down. If you start sprinting immediately after flaming it, it will come to your last position you made sound, so if you flame it, and sprint away while it is running as well, then you stop sprinting some time after it's already gone into the vents, it'll make a beeline for the spot you last made a noise, and if it can't find you immediately there, in the immediate vicinity, or in the general direction you were going, it'll start patrolling the area until it jumps back up.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I don't know if this is just my imagination but if I get the drop on the Alien and flame it, it'll run off quicker then if it had already seen me.

I like that after a few encounters with the flamethrower if you just point it at the Alien he won't attack, but will just snarl at you out of range. Unless you're out of fuel and the pilot light is off, in which case you're hosed.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The bowling-over happens when there isn't a practically accessible vent for the alien to sprint to. You become the vent - it hits you and disappears

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Spalec posted:

I don't know if this is just my imagination but if I get the drop on the Alien and flame it, it'll run off quicker then if it had already seen me.

I like that after a few encounters with the flamethrower if you just point it at the Alien he won't attack, but will just snarl at you out of range. Unless you're out of fuel and the pilot light is off, in which case you're hosed.

Not your imagination! If you surprise the alien, it will run much faster and with less flameing than had it been aware of you beforehand.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Spalec posted:

:monocle:

Holy poo poo, is that a confirmed gameplay element? Because if so, holy poo poo that's cool. That's straight up Ripley-threatening-the-eggs-with-a-flamethrower, you know what this does, back the gently caress off my poo poo action. I got trigger happy to keep that rear end in a top hat out of my face and never waited for its reaction, now I feel cheated.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Wild T posted:

:monocle:

Holy poo poo, is that a confirmed gameplay element? Because if so, holy poo poo that's cool. That's straight up Ripley-threatening-the-eggs-with-a-flamethrower, you know what this does, back the gently caress off my poo poo action. I got trigger happy to keep that rear end in a top hat out of my face and never waited for its reaction, now I feel cheated.

It's confirmed, yes. If you raise the flamethrower at the alien after it has become familiar with it, it will flinch and hesitate for a bit before trying to lounge at you again. It's a fakeout that can buy you a few seconds.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Well, goddamit. I'm jumping into play through number three now because of yet another feature I didn't know about. Please, Sega, never let Kojima direct an Alien: Isolation sequel, I may never get done screwing around with the details. Also it's annoying enough not to kill those assholes guarding the tuner without moralizing, okay? I'll just write off that trophy and save my sanity.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It does lead to some tense Ripley vs Queen type moments, but it is always going to charge you eventually. It's just a matter of when.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009
I received the Crew Expendable DLC for this but already have it; in case anyone else doesn't: 5G82E-8I6LM-7J636

• Locked thread