Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

drat

Now imagine this was a trailer for the actual game and not just the pre-order bonus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPCrYA_szE0&t=20s

This looks like such a better idea than the main title. I would buy this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Sweetness
Sep 14, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I have to agree with this. Avp controls like you're gliding on ice while slathered in lube. The movement is way too smooth and feels like everyone is going 70 mph. Plus you want to talk unbalanced? Play avp1 multi as a marine and watch your rear end get tore up.

That's not true at all and you obviously weren't very good at the game if you think Marines were the worst. Sadar was a 1 hit kill on a Predator and minigun marines were amazing if you took the time to stop moving and shoot. Understanding the maps was critical in order to actually be halfway decent in that game. Aliens were the ones with the real disadvantage mostly because the tail, when charged, would hit an item if the enemy happened to be near one. The game was absolutely fantastic in 1v1 if you played on hive, statue, massacre, or sewer. AvP gold hosed the game up, but classic was one of the best multiplayer experiences ever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Palpek posted:

drat

Now imagine this was a trailer for the actual game and not just the pre-order bonus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPCrYA_szE0&t=20s

This looks like such a better idea than the main title. I would buy this game.

I just got tingles.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Vanilla Sweetness posted:

That's not true at all and you obviously weren't very good at the game if you think Marines were the worst. Sadar was a 1 hit kill on a Predator and minigun marines were amazing if you took the time to stop moving and shoot. Understanding the maps was critical in order to actually be halfway decent in that game. Aliens were the ones with the real disadvantage mostly because the tail, when charged, would hit an item if the enemy happened to be near one. The game was absolutely fantastic in 1v1 if you played on hive, statue, massacre, or sewer. AvP gold hosed the game up, but classic was one of the best multiplayer experiences ever.

The speed plus the one hit kill of a fully charged tail attack meant that an alien would tear a marine apart. It didn't help that you needed to find the weapons and health and armor pickups. I had fun with the mp but marines were paper thin.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Why is Ripley pulling a duck face?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

They just had an article where apparently you can beat the game without killing anyone.

So maybe not forced combat, but will it be hard to avoid forced combat? Will it be too easy to sneak around besides the alien which will instant kill you? Time will tell.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ineffiable posted:

They just had an article where apparently you can beat the game without killing anyone.

So maybe not forced combat, but will it be hard to avoid forced combat? Will it be too easy to sneak around besides the alien which will instant kill you? Time will tell.
Tangentially related, isn't it possible to complete some of the Thief and Splinter Cell games without killing anyone?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Xenomrph posted:

Tangentially related, isn't it possible to complete some of the Thief and Splinter Cell games without killing anyone?
Yeah, that one of the things that both are known for. Dishonored let's you have a no-kill run too.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

In Splinter Cell, you have to kill people in every single one of them. Except for Blacklist. I am not sure if you have to kill people in Blacklist

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Xenomrph posted:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution has a no kills cheevo.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution has a no kills cheevo.

Except bosses.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Xenomrph posted:

Hell, even the AvP RTS on Xbox/PS2 was very playable and way better than it should have been. The good Alien games definitely outnumber the bad ones.

That game was the poo poo and I loved it. It might have been because I was really young and ended up spamming the godmode cheat as the humans but it was fun as hell. Playing as the aliens and making your own hive was so cool.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Aliens were amazing and hilarious to play as, starting with one facehugger and working your way to a full blown hive and then steamrolling the enemy base with a horde of 100 Aliens was awesome.

Each race was mega-broken in their own campaign, too. Marching a facehugger-carrying Carrier into a crowd of Predators and insta-killing 6 of them at once was great, especially since the Predalien's gimmick was that they could "level up" and get increased hit points and damage over time. If you kept them around long enough, any one Predalien would have more hit points than a Queen.

The Marines' exo-suits were super broken too, especially if you upgraded them to the propellantless Metal Storm launchers. 2 upgraded suits back to back could hold off infinite enemies.

I wish that game had had multiplayer, or at least a skirmish mode. That's what really dragged that game down, all it had was the (admittedly, lengthy) campaign.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I got to play at Comic Con, it was only a 3 minute gameplay demo but from that they nailed the atmosphere, aesthetic and sound perfectly. The gameplay was decent enough but there wasn't much to play and pass good judgement on. The movements of the Alien are well done and the whole tracker thing is really fun. It's stupid, because when you have the Tracker out you have to hold one of the triggers to change your focus to the background but the tracker is still easy enough to read so there's no real reason to even to keep focus on the tracker. Also, you have to hold down R1 to keep the tracker out, then hold L2 to keep your focus on the environment which is loving annoying. The demo was played via a PS4 controller so I have no clue how you're going to do that on a mouse and keyboard.

There was also some cool swag given out after playing, a Alien Isolation bag, a shirt with a weird toy robot on it, the first comic in a planned series based off Isolation and a sweet iron-on patch of the space station.

I still have no hope that the game will be good.

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

blackguy32 posted:

In Splinter Cell, you have to kill people in every single one of them. Except for Blacklist. I am not sure if you have to kill people in Blacklist

AvP4: Aliens in 3rd person and can freely parkour and poo poo off of everything. Predators got some limited parkouring ala titanfall. Marines do the standard FPS gig. Basically splinter cell spies vs. mercenaries but with aliens and poo poo.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

blackguy32 posted:

I haven't played Blacklist recently, but as I recall you don't have to kill anyone (unless knocking them out counts as killing someone in which case yeah there are some areas where you have to at least knock out a certain amount of enemies and cut scenes where you have to knock out or kill an NPC).

IIRC I don't think Double Agent required you to kill anyone either assuming you balanced your trust with the NSA and JBA some other way.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I nearly killed myself after failing that loving mine defuse mini game a thousand times, does that count?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

There's a couple of forced sniping/drone sections in Blacklist where you have to kill/destroy stuff but other than that it's fine.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

DrProsek posted:

I haven't played Blacklist recently, but as I recall you don't have to kill anyone (unless knocking them out counts as killing someone in which case yeah there are some areas where you have to at least knock out a certain amount of enemies and cut scenes where you have to knock out or kill an NPC).

IIRC I don't think Double Agent required you to kill anyone either assuming you balanced your trust with the NSA and JBA some other way.

Blacklist, you don't have to kill anyone. Double Agent forces you to kill either lambert or jamie.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Stop preordering games.

Also, if anyone wants to use this as an excuse to play some AVP 2010 on Steam like we did when A:CM came out, hit me up. I will school all ya'll in the ways of the Predator. And to those who say the Alien is an instakill machine, the animated kills leave you really vulnerable to gunfire.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
That Nostromo add-in needs to be open enough to let me keep everyone together, set course for home, turn on a distress beacon, paint a loving big warning on the doors outside the cryosleep chamber then have everyone get in the freezers while I weld the goddamn doors shut from the inside. Because no loving way am I going in any goddamn air shafts, uh-uh.

Operation: Cross Fingers & Hope For The Best

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sire Oblivion posted:

So I got to play at Comic Con, it was only a 3 minute gameplay demo but from that they nailed the atmosphere, aesthetic and sound perfectly. The gameplay was decent enough but there wasn't much to play and pass good judgement on. The movements of the Alien are well done and the whole tracker thing is really fun. It's stupid, because when you have the Tracker out you have to hold one of the triggers to change your focus to the background but the tracker is still easy enough to read so there's no real reason to even to keep focus on the tracker. Also, you have to hold down R1 to keep the tracker out, then hold L2 to keep your focus on the environment which is loving annoying. The demo was played via a PS4 controller so I have no clue how you're going to do that on a mouse and keyboard.

There was also some cool swag given out after playing, a Alien Isolation bag, a shirt with a weird toy robot on it, the first comic in a planned series based off Isolation and a sweet iron-on patch of the space station.

I still have no hope that the game will be good.
Feel like donating any cool swag to a cool Aliens fan? :kiddo:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

blackguy32 posted:

Blacklist, you don't have to kill anyone. Double Agent forces you to kill either lambert or jamie.

Ah, right, forgot about the big emotional moment of the game where you choose to either kill your boss or one of the big bad guys of the game :downs:. I played through Double Agent twice or so and I remember liking it, but looking back on it I have no idea why.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

That Nostromo add-in needs to be open enough to let me keep everyone together, set course for home, turn on a distress beacon, paint a loving big warning on the doors outside the cryosleep chamber then have everyone get in the freezers while I weld the goddamn doors shut from the inside. Because no loving way am I going in any goddamn air shafts, uh-uh.

Operation: Cross Fingers & Hope For The Best

This would sort of be the perfect game. You could follow the events of the movie, it you could go of and try to be crazy or brave our cowardly. Sort of like way of the samurai or that zombie mall game, where you haven't beaten it until you've beaten it for or five times. A die hard gave like this would also be brilliant, ride that first elevator down and try to take on all the terrorists the first time, lure them up to the roof one by one the next play through, then hide in the vault area or something the next.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

I thought about you when I was in line, but you never responded in the Comic Con thread about the NECA Predator so I assumed you had someone here to get all of it for you. I'll try and get another set of stuff if I have the time tomorrow.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sire Oblivion posted:

I thought about you when I was in line, but you never responded in the Comic Con thread about the NECA Predator so I assumed you had someone here to get all of it for you. I'll try and get another set of stuff if I have the time tomorrow.
Awesome, thanks! Also don't bother with the NECA Predator, I got one from NECA's shop online.

I didn't even think to follow up on the SDCC thread and now I feel like a bit of an rear end in a top hat!

Let me know if you get cool stuff tomorrow, otherwise I'll resort to ebay or something.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I am glad that I am not the only one that is a little disappointed that the main character is Ripley's daughter. I hate it because it feels like it is pretty much pandering to Alien fans by trying to do a beat by beat recreation of the original film. This is the game copying Alien so of course it has to be about Ripley's daughter alone on the ship. Just like Aliens: Colonial Marines had to have you in a power loader fighting the Queen.

I think this is one of the reasons a lot of games based on movies fail. They are so busy trying to copy the source material instead of putting their own unique spin on things.

I am really looking forward to this game, and don't really have a problem with them putting humans and androids in there as another threat. Let's face it, in terms of trying to make a 10 hour horror game experience you are probably going to have to come up with more threats than a single alien, so as long as the humans are tastefully and sparingly implemented they could be really awesome. I have heard that the humans do not attack on sight, but only if you approach them. I think it could be a cool dynamic, since if you get into a firefight you will draw the alien down on your position.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I am glad that I am not the only one that is a little disappointed that the main character is Ripley's daughter. I hate it because it feels like it is pretty much pandering to Alien fans by trying to do a beat by beat recreation of the original film. This is the game copying Alien so of course it has to be about Ripley's daughter alone on the ship. Just like Aliens: Colonial Marines had to have you in a power loader fighting the Queen.

I think this is one of the reasons a lot of games based on movies fail. They are so busy trying to copy the source material instead of putting their own unique spin on things.

I am really looking forward to this game, and don't really have a problem with them putting humans and androids in there as another threat. Let's face it, in terms of trying to make a 10 hour horror game experience you are probably going to have to come up with more threats than a single alien, so as long as the humans are tastefully and sparingly implemented they could be really awesome. I have heard that the humans do not attack on sight, but only if you approach them. I think it could be a cool dynamic, since if you get into a firefight you will draw the alien down on your position.

Alternately, maybe you could draw the alien down on their position :unsmigghh:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

DrProsek posted:

Ah, right, forgot about the big emotional moment of the game where you choose to either kill your boss or one of the big bad guys of the game :downs:. I played through Double Agent twice or so and I remember liking it, but looking back on it I have no idea why.

Its actually not that bad of a game. Its just a shittier put together Chaos Theory.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

To be totally fair, I wouldn't be surprised if the "Ripley's daughter" thing was mandated by FOX. They've been mandating a lot of stuff like that recently - the recent spin-off novel Alien: Out of the Shadows is set between 'Alien' and 'Aliens' and has Ripley and Ash (no joke, and even manages to somehow work pretty well and dodge major continuity snags) and in an [url=http://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/interviews/tim-lebbon/interview with the author[/url], the inclusion of Ripley and Ash was mandated by FOX. I seem to recall something similar for the upcoming Aliens relaunch comics coming out in the next month or so, as well.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 28, 2014

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

KiddieGrinder posted:

Why is Ripley pulling a duck face?

Sigourney Weaver always looks like that in Alien.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Xenomrph posted:

To be totally fair, I wouldn't be surprised if the "Ripley's daughter" thing was mandated by FOX.
It's true but this doesn't really change the end result :shrug:.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Palpek posted:

It's true but this doesn't really change the end result :shrug:.

Well sure, but I guess I'm a bit more sympathetic to the developers when the inclusion of something potentially dumb was outside their control.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Xenomrph posted:

Did you get a copy of the Aliens: Colonial Marines comic that was handed out at Comic Con the year before its release?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Xenomrph posted:

Well sure, but I guess I'm a bit more sympathetic to the developers when the inclusion of something potentially dumb was outside their control.

To be fair, Ripley's daughter being included because she's searching for her lost mother is a fairly logical thing. It actually makes a lot of sense, even if it hurts the narrative a little since we know she goes on to die of old age... Or does she!?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Did you get a copy of the Aliens: Colonial Marines comic that was handed out at Comic Con the year before its release?
Yes I did. :)

It's a halfway neat comic for what it is.

The new Isolation comic is going for stupid prices on ebay right now, though. :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

The new Isolation comic is going for stupid prices on ebay right now, though. :(

I tried grabbing some more swag for you, but they ran out of bags and comics on the last day. They only had patches, but my lady and I will probably be using them for costumes. Sorry man. I might have an extra, because I think I have 3. I'll have to double check.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

DrNutt posted:

It actually makes a lot of sense, even if it hurts the narrative a little since we know she goes on to die of old age... Or does she!?
It's her clone I'm sure because...it rhymes.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Palpek posted:

It's her clone I'm sure because...it rhymes.

Poetry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Xenomrph posted:

I grabbed a second copy when I was there for a goon but he never contacted me, so I still have it sealed away.

• Locked thread