Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sire Oblivion posted:

I tried grabbing some more swag for you, but they ran out of bags and comics on the last day. They only had patches, but my lady and I will probably be using them for costumes. Sorry man. I might have an extra, because I think I have 3. I'll have to double check.
Welp, thanks anyway. :cheers:

If you read that comic and it's not something you think you're going to keep, I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Crossposting my selfie from the GBS thread. This was a lot harder to pull off than I thought it'd be.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

New interview with Sigourney Weaver about Isolation, it's got some new footage scattered throughout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GodibH3lD0U

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Again - why didn't they just make this a direct game adaptation of the movie? That would own so much more and actually make sense.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Palpek posted:

Again - why didn't they just make this a direct game adaptation of the movie? That would own so much more and actually make sense.

I get the feeling all this movie stuff/Sigourney came way later in development.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Ripley's daughter? God, why do they have to tie everything in games they make to the movies so closely. Jesus, these guys are so loving uncreative.

*info about little side project done for dlc*

Now this I can get behind though. Why didn't they just a direct adaptation of the first movie instead of their own spin off venturing into this "new ground". God they have no idea what they're doing. :rolleyes:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Kokoro Wish posted:

Ripley's daughter? God, why do they have to tie everything in games they make to the movies so closely. Jesus, these guys are so loving uncreative.

*info about little side project done for dlc*

Now this I can get behind though. Why didn't they just a direct adaptation of the first movie instead of their own spin off venturing into this "new ground". God they have no idea what they're doing. :rolleyes:
:a2m: The difference is that they are already remaking the original Alien with a faux Ripley, faux original Alien, faux Nostromo, faux environments, atmosphere, androids etc. etc. and that would work great if they were creating an interactive version of the original movie but not if they're aiming for a completely new chapter that just happens to recreate all the classic scenes while winking. I know nuances like that are real hard to understand.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

Palpek posted:

:a2m: The difference is that they are already remaking the original Alien with a faux Ripley, faux original Alien, faux Nostromo, faux environments, atmosphere, androids etc. etc. and that would work great if they were creating an interactive version of the original movie but not if they're aiming for a completely new chapter that just happens to recreate all the classic scenes while winking. I know nuances like that are real hard to understand.

There's no evidence that they're doing any of what you just stated. It's all just conjecture. Boy, I sure do remember in Alien when Ripley got blown out the airlock into space. Wow. Or that time when she fought a mannequin faced android with a flame thrower and a wrench.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Aug 5, 2014

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Kokoro Wish posted:

There's no evidence that they're doing any of what you just stated. It's all just conjecture. Boy, I sure do remember in Alien when Ripley got blown out the airlock into space. Wow.
I dont't know what to tell you, they're not scenes remade 1:1 but shuffled a bit. This appears to be a huge difference to you and nothing at all to me.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I still want my Jones the Cat game where you have to lure the Alien out and evade it by using the stupid humans looking for you.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kokoro Wish posted:

There's no evidence that they're doing any of what you just stated. It's all just conjecture. Boy, I sure do remember in Alien when Ripley got blown out the airlock into space. Wow. Or that time when she fought a mannequin faced android with a flame thrower and a wrench.

I too, would like to play a game that recreates the movie scene for scene with no changes whatsoever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hakkesshu posted:

I get the feeling all this movie stuff/Sigourney came way later in development.

Yeah, plus budget wise maybe no particular member of the cast is a mega-star now, but no way they're gonna shell out for multiple hours worth of voice acting from Sigourney Weaver, Yaphet Kotto, Harry Dean Stanton, etc. It may not have even been physically possible for them to do scheduling wise also.

It's a cynical "hey guys this is THE AUTHENTIC ALIEN EXPERIENCE IF YOU PRE-ORDER" attempt to get people to pre-order. I understand the confusion though it's not like Sega ever pulled something like this before and announced it with this exact same timing prior to release of their game, oh wait.

Sadly it's working again because gamers are dumbasses. I mean we saw that extensive footage just after E3, exact same time as that godawful footage (is there any other kind?) of Colonial Marines came out. Barely different footage, just in this case it's an android that walks slowly around so it stays in your field of view while doing that same single attack over and over again, are you kidding me?

Kokoro Wish posted:

Did you notice how it's Alien: Isolation and not Aliens: Isolation? The game was obviously designed to evoke the tone of the first film from the get go, despite it being a mainstream video game made in 2014 where things are first person so therefore it requires that you shoot things. :( This is as close to an Alien video game as can exist in this form. It would have been great if they did some kind of hyper intense Penumbra type thing but here we are.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

dogstile posted:

Neo Rasa posted:

My point.

Your heads.

I was making fun of the fact that people are simultaneously angered over the game daring to use Alien filimic references in design, style, character and plot, while simultaneously praising the DLC/pre-order bonus for being directly tied to the Alien film and set on the Nostromo. I actually like the sound and look of what has been shown so far of the game.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 5, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

My point.

Your heads.

I was making fun of the fact that people are simultaneously angered over the game daring to use Alien filimic references in design, style, character and plot, while simultaneously praising the DLC/pre-order bonus for being directly tied to the Alien film and set on the Nostromo. I actually like the sound and look of what has been shown so far of the game.

Kokoro means heart, heart-felt. It is my kokoro wish that people weren't so stupid that I thought you were totally serious without question.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

They haven't mentioned his involvement, but I wonder if John Hurt recorded any lines for Kane, too. In the Weaver interview we see Harry Dean Stanton recording lines for Brett, even though the DLC picks up right after he gets killed.

I just like seeing John Hurt get work because he's a cool dude. :unsmith:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Neo Rasa posted:

Kokoro means heart, heart-felt. It is my kokoro wish that people weren't so stupid that I thought you were totally serious without question.

You have heard alien fans talk about the games right? Its kind of believable that someone would be that mental :shrug:

Doctor Whose
Sep 6, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

They haven't mentioned his involvement, but I wonder if John Hurt recorded any lines for Kane, too. In the Weaver interview we see Harry Dean Stanton recording lines for Brett, even though the DLC picks up right after he gets killed.

Its going to be an audio log I'm sure. "Over and out." at the end of it. I bet they litter audio logs all over the game since they pulled in the actual cast. Cheapest and quickest way to utilize getting them in a room.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Doctor Whose posted:

Its going to be an audio log I'm sure. "Over and out." at the end of it. I bet they litter audio logs all over the game since they pulled in the actual cast. Cheapest and quickest way to utilize getting them in a room.

Yeah, plus I think they would be allowed to use voice samples of them from the movie itself where appropriate too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah, plus I think they would be allowed to use voice samples of them from the movie itself where appropriate too.

According to Sigourney Weaver, they're re-recording the movie dialogue for the game, and then any new dialogue as well. So it's sorta like Sean Connery's involvement in the 'From Russia With Love' game, where he re-recorded a bunch of movie lines as well.

Weaver said it was kind of surreal re-reading lines she hadn't spoken for 35 years.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

dogstile posted:

I too, would like to play a game that recreates the movie scene for scene with no changes whatsoever.

This is really retarded and I don't think he's saying it in the least. I think he wants something along the lines of GoldenEye where they use the characters and set-pieces from the movie and add a bunch of extra (fun) poo poo to make sure the game isn't 2 hours long. I can't imagine what it would cost to record a full games worth of dialogue with the original cast though.

Xenomrph posted:

They said everyone, save Ian Holm, is reprising their roles.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sire Oblivion posted:

This is really retarded and I don't think he's saying it in the least. I think he wants something along the lines of GoldenEye where they use the characters and set-pieces from the movie and add a bunch of extra (fun) poo poo to make sure the game isn't 2 hours long. I can't imagine what it would cost to record a full games worth of dialogue with the original cast though.

They said everyone, save Ian Holm, is reprising their roles.

A hobbit, Ash is a goddamn hobbit!

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
By the way, you can read the comicon comic off of avpgalaxy's website. Doesn't spoil too much about what you're getting into, but if the facehugged guy is anything to go off of, I'd wager there's a very good chance that Ripley's gonna have to avoid more than just the titular alien and crazy androids/people at some point. Also I really hope the developers ran with the whole "once-bustling space station crippled by the failing space-economy reduced to a skeleton crew that's now being hunted down by a monster" theme the comic gives off and gave us lots of open, lived-in areas that haven't seen people living in them for ages to explore.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

There's a bit of a debate on AvPgalaxy on whether the comic happens in chronological order and that's a second Alien, or if it's a flashback to the birth of the titular one.

My money's on the latter.

It's a neat comic that's not too spoilery, and I got Dead Space 2 vibes from it (I've also been reading 'Alien: Out of the Shadows' and getting similar vibes, but for different reasons).
The totally hosed up nightmare sequence is the best part of the comic, though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

For people into that sort of thing, the list of achievements on Xbox360 (and presumably Xbox One and PS3/PS4) has been leaked. I've read through it and it's not exactly spoiler territory, but consider yourself warned all the same.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
New trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-29TRNwYXeU

It's all pre-rendered stuff and has no gameplay, but looks pretty.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.
Another preview -

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2464169/alien-isolation-hands-on-in-space-no-one-can-hear-you-get-frustrated.html

- which mentions amongst other things, the alien 'cheating', and knowing where you are when it shouldn't. As well as your character knocking over objects even though you can't see their arms and legs. I was on the fence about pre-ordering, now I'm just going to wait for final reviews.

Darth Ronson fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Aug 17, 2014

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Darth Ronson posted:

Another preview -

now I'm just going to wait for final reviews.

Very good idea, I think that's what everyone should do. ;)

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Darth Ronson posted:

Another preview -

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2464169/alien-isolation-hands-on-in-space-no-one-can-hear-you-get-frustrated.html

- which mentions amongst other things, the alien 'cheating', and knowing where you are when it shouldn't.

These guys complain about the same thing, saying how the alien is obviously teleporting around the level (motion tracker gives it away) and a lot of things are scripted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGpwonNgFSY

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Darth Ronson posted:

Another preview -

- which mentions amongst other things, the alien 'cheating', and knowing where you are when it shouldn't. As well as your character knocking over objects even though you can't see their arms and legs. I was on the fence about pre-ordering, now I'm just going to wait for final reviews.

This is exactly how the game felt when I played it at E3; when the game worked it was incredible they nailed the aethetic, sound and feel of the film to a loving T, but the Alien made me feel like I was being cheated. The demo was essentially a square room with a hallway along all of the sides. The Alien always spawned to the right-side hall and naturally I took to the left hand side of the hall. Before I knew it the Alien was at the other end of the hall waiting for me just in another room with a large window I could see it through. It started coming towards me and I had to run, there wasn't nothing to take cover behind which meant I was hosed. There's no way to outrun the thing. The same poo poo happened with my friend, though he managed to attempt to go the other way but again, the Alien was right there waiting for him to try and advance. The Alien is designed to be an obstacle in front of you at all times.

The demo was also on a PS4 controller which really sucked, I didn't care much for the sensitivity on the sticks and the game requires some finesse when playing ring-around-the-rosey with the Alien and some boxes between you two.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Darth Ronson posted:

Another preview -

Worth pointing out that that article does mention he was playing a specially created demo section, and that he's reserving final judgment until he can play the full game start to finish.

I'm not saying the full game won't have a teleporting, omniscient Alien, but the full game might do a better job of disguising it.

The way I'm looking at it, the developers aren't creating a literal extraterrestrial killing machine in digital form, they're simulating one using current AI tech. It's like rubberbanding AI in racing games - you're bound to have players who outsmart the AI, so you have the AI racers (unnaturally) "catch up" in order to keep the race thrilling and exciting for the player. The trick is to disguise it so the player doesn't feel cheated.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Aug 17, 2014

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Sire Oblivion posted:

This is exactly how the game felt when I played it at E3; when the game worked it was incredible they nailed the aethetic, sound and feel of the film to a loving T, but the Alien made me feel like I was being cheated. The demo was essentially a square room with a hallway along all of the sides. The Alien always spawned to the right-side hall and naturally I took to the left hand side of the hall. Before I knew it the Alien was at the other end of the hall waiting for me just in another room with a large window I could see it through. It started coming towards me and I had to run, there wasn't nothing to take cover behind which meant I was hosed. There's no way to outrun the thing. The same poo poo happened with my friend, though he managed to attempt to go the other way but again, the Alien was right there waiting for him to try and advance. The Alien is designed to be an obstacle in front of you at all times.

Sounds like you were in a horror movie :v:

I can see why they choose that design, because if they go completely "free-form" (even if it's within an arena) it's gonna be likely that you end up getting totally screwed (regardless of you choices), miss the alien entirely or it just bugs out. But we've known this was gonna be the "big one" from the start, so eh. Could work?

Game sounds to have a decent length to it, that guy in the video didn't seem to have completed it at 6 hours logged?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

It's like rubberbanding AI in racing games

Yes, but the problem here is that this makes it feel cheap and no one likes it.

Pimpmust posted:

Sounds like you were in a horror movie :v:

I can see why they choose that design, because if they go completely "free-form" (even if it's within an arena) it's gonna be likely that you end up getting totally screwed (regardless of you choices), miss the alien entirely or it just bugs out. But we've known this was gonna be the "big one" from the start, so eh. Could work?

Game sounds to have a decent length to it, that guy in the video didn't seem to have completed it at 6 hours logged?

It seems like a lot of the time logged was him having to replay a lot of sections due to deaths. That's another problem with the game, you have to play flawlessly, you make a mistake and you're dead. I hope that there's something that you can do to save your rear end once it grabs you. The Resident Evil Remake on Gamecube introduced a great mechanic where in you got Knives (as Chris) or a Taser (as Jill) and if a zombie grabbed you you'd use up a knife or a battery to free yourself from their grasp. It was great because finding batteries and knives wasn't really commonplace and it sucked having to use such a precious resource but they'd save your rear end.

Isolation could do the same with the stunrod (I see them pick it up in that video), and maybe it does and we don't know about it, but make batteries rare and you use one when the Alien grabs you and you shock it to scare it away. It gives you a second chance but now you're down on saves and maybe it was your last one and you're making GBS threads yourself.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sire Oblivion posted:

Yes, but the problem here is that this makes it feel cheap and no one likes it.
Sure, but it's sort of a byproduct of only having one Alien in the whole game. As a thought experiment, let's say you took any other Aliens/AvP game, and instead of killing each Alien you fought, you were actually merely "driving them away" with your guns and the implication was that it was actually only one Alien attacking you. It'd start to seem like the "one" Alien was teleporting to get ahead of you.

Short of old games like Clock Tower, have there really been many games where there's just one antagonist hunting you?
I mean Outlast kinda does it, but even then you could say that the bad guys are teleporting between encounters. It's just easier to disguise it if you have more than one enemy.

I get why the game makes Alien encounters basically instantly fatal, because it's supposed to make you afraid of the Alien and not want to press your luck for fear of getting mugged, but I can also see how having the game deteriorate into trial-and-error gameplay because the AI is too smart/omniscient/teleporting could get tedious, too.
I mean, it seems like it's a tough balance to get right. Do you nerf the Alien, and risk better players breezing through it? Maybe start the game off with ways to escape the Alien so players can learn how the game world works without being severely punished for mistakes, and gradually take those away as the game goes along in order to up the stakes (and to tell the player, "you're 1/3 of the way through the game now, you know not to make idiot mistakes").

I like your stun rod idea, but it'd have to be used properly or you risk making the Alien seem underpowered.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I don't understand why this criticism needs defending and why you have to be always the one defending things like these and playing the devil's advocate. I get that you're a hardcore Aliens fan but why does every problem with the game need you jumping into imaginary scenarios defending a title that isn't even released yet. Every time. Fanboyism doesn't mean you can stop demanding quality and keep moving the finish line of expectations every time we hear new disappointing news about the product.

The point is that what journalists describe makes it obvious to the player that the Alien teleports. End of story. It doesn't matter what kind of balancing it takes to not have that feeling etc. as of course developers need tricks to have a game working properly. As far as I'm concerned half of the level can stop exisitng the moment I turn the camera around. The point is that the level is an obvious rectangle and when you move through it you get the Alien in positions it shouldn't logically appear in. You don't have to start imagining extreme scenarios in a complex consistent gameworld where the everlasting Alien would make the gameplay tedious as a counter argument. This is a small level that makes it obvious the Alien teleports and the way the game is designed - with numerous deaths one after another and replaying the same section over and over - makes player see this clearer with every respawn. Sure the Alien can teleport when you enter a new map section but it's really bad when it happens on your linear way through a section that you can logically understand at a glance. Once again, THAT is the point.

Also of course it's a demo/beta/promo level etc. and things can change for the final release. Everybody understands that, no need for disclaimers. At the same time this is the actual real gameplay we base our ideas about the future game on and not hopes that everything bad will surely get fixed in time. Some/most of it won't, especially when it's big things like the very basic idea behind AI. There's nothing telling us otherwise yet so it's no use imagining scenarios where what developers did works perfectly.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

I get why the game makes Alien encounters basically instantly fatal, because it's supposed to make you afraid of the Alien and not want to press your luck for fear of getting mugged, but I can also see how having the game deteriorate into trial-and-error gameplay because the AI is too smart/omniscient/teleporting could get tedious, too.

I get that the Alien needs to be threatening, but when you die in one "hit" of the Alien you can't make it where one mistake will get you killed. It gets annoying quick and that's how I died both times during SDCC. My first time through the demo I waited for the Alien to move to the left-hand corridor and then tried sneaking over to the right hand corridor and thought I saw the exit, so I made a break for it. The instant I started running it knew where I was and went straight for me (you can hear the thudding of it's feet on the metal) and within 5 seconds it outran me and killed me. The second time I mixed up the controls and hit Melee instead of pulling out my tracker so I ended up whacking the metal crate in front of me with a wrench. The Alien made a loving b-line straight for me. It never saw me but I watched it on the tracker come straight for me and listened to it running. It didn't come to my general direction and scout around, it went to exactly where the sound came from, which is bullshit and really stupid.

Xenomrph posted:

I like your stun rod idea, but it'd have to be used properly or you risk making the Alien seem underpowered.

Easy, you limit the batteries and hell, have it break after X amount of uses and it requires a poo poo-ton of resources to fix. Amanda tinkers to build things through the game why not implement it here?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Palpek posted:

I don't understand why this criticism needs defending and why you have to be always the one defending things like these and playing the devil's advocate. I get that you're a hardcore Aliens fan but why does every problem with the game need you jumping into imaginary scenarios defending a title that isn't even released yet. Every time. Fanboyism doesn't mean you can stop demanding quality and keep moving the finish line of expectations every time we hear new disappointing news about the product.

The point is that what journalists describe makes it obvious to the player that the Alien teleports. End of story. It doesn't matter what kind of balancing it takes to not have that feeling etc. as of course developers need tricks to have a game working properly. As far as I'm concerned half of the level can stop exisitng the moment I turn the camera around. The point is that the level is an obvious rectangle and when you move through it you get the Alien in positions it shouldn't logically appear in. You don't have to start imagining extreme scenarios in a complex consistent gameworld where the everlasting Alien would make the gameplay tedious as a counter argument. This is a small level that makes it obvious the Alien teleports and the way the game is designed - with numerous deaths one after another and replaying the same section over and over - makes player see this clearer with every respawn. Sure the Alien can teleport when you enter a new map section but it's really bad when it happens on your linear way through a section that you can logically understand at a glance. Once again, THAT is the point.

Also of course it's a demo/beta/promo level etc. and things can change for the final release. Everybody understands that, no need for disclaimers. At the same time this is the actual real gameplay we base our ideas about the future game on and not hopes that everything bad will surely get fixed in time. Some/most of it won't, especially when it's big things like the very basic idea behind AI. There's nothing telling us otherwise yet so it's no use imagining scenarios where what developers did works perfectly.
The disclaimer was because we had people jumping in with doom and gloom about a pre-made demo level and then using a gameinformer article as "evidence", when the article itself points out that it's all from a demo level and that the author wants to play the final game before condemning it.

I never denied that the Alien teleports, I was just pointing out that what could be immersion-breaking and frustrating in a demo level might be disguised/balanced better in the final game, and then engaging in actual no-poo poo constrictive dialogue with Sire Oblivion about ways to counteract a frustrating insta kill Alien without ruining the "atmosphere" or whatever.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

The disclaimer was because we had people jumping in with doom and gloom about a pre-made demo level and then using a gameinformer article as "evidence", when the article itself points out that it's all from a demo level and that the author wants to play the final game before condemning it.

We're jumping with gloom and doom because of all of the playable demos people have played at events and builds that journalist have been able to play for well over 6 hours, it's all the same thing that we've dreaded and have left people with bad tastes in their mouths.

I really want to like this game and I hold out hope, I have the preorder on Steam for the DLC and I'll play through it no matter what. I just fear it won't be as good as it really could be, fall flat and be formulaic.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sire Oblivion posted:

We're jumping with gloom and doom because of all of the playable demos people have played at events and builds that journalist have been able to play for well over 6 hours, it's all the same thing that we've dreaded and have left people with bad tastes in their mouths.
Probably worth pointing out that despite the (totally valid) complaints in the gameinformer article, the author went on to say that it is in fact a good game based on what he'd played.

quote:

I just fear it won't be as good as it really could be, fall flat and be formulaic.
That's really the worst thing I can say about it at this point, that it has the potential to be fantastic and it might not reach that potential. There's plenty of legitimate concerns where they could gently caress this up - aside from the teleporting Alien having a big potential to break players' immersion, it could also easily swing the other way and have the Alien be too predictable (where even in the face of a teleporting AI, you can learn its routines and basically "game the system").
Like I said earlier, I really can't think of any other games that had a singular invincible antagonist pursuing you through the whole game. Amnesia had invincible enemies, but it could bypass "teleporting" problems by having more than one enemy.

If nothing else, the environments should be fantastic to explore, although my "concern" about that will be how doggedly the omniscient, teleporting Alien will pursue you if you linger in an area for too long. It's the kind of game where I almost wish you could play a "no enemies" mode on a NG+, where you can explore the environment at your own pace and just take in the details. All 3 Dead Space games are another example where it was just fun to explore the world and pick out all the little details and stuff, independent of the core gameplay.

Speaking of retro-futuristic, has anything more happened with Routine?

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 18, 2014

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Xenomrph posted:

Probably worth pointing out that despite the (totally valid) complaints in the gameinformer article, the author went on to say that it is in fact a good game based on what he'd played.

Weird, I thought he said that it is in fact a game with good atmosphere but frustrating mechanics based on what he'd played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
You're working really hard to apologize for a game that (as far as I can tell) you haven't even played yet. Any minor complaint is met with apologizing and pointing out what we all know. HISTORY is working against this game. A lot of the alien based games have not been particularly good. Sorry but its true. Before you mount an 8000 word treatise about why each Alien Vs. Predator game was a hidden gem and that Alien Trilogy on PS1 revealed new and fascinating ideas we can just jump to the end and say that a lot of alien games aren't as good as they should be.

Xenomrph posted:

I hate to pile on here but you just over explain things to death. We get these are preview builds. I did play an E3 build. It looked great. I'm not worried about the visuals. It played pretty well but it was only 15 minutes or so. What I want to know is how this game will manage to sustain suspense but also see how it handles a full narrative. You followed nearly the same behavior with Colonial Marines and even after the game came out and we all were faced with a steaming pile of poo poo you were oddly reticent to concede that the game was poo poo. No one here wants the game to suck. But we're completely within reasonable behavior to be highly suspicious.

• Locked thread