Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I was at E3. Played for about 15-20 minutes today. Knowing the game is out in October I'd be slightly concerned. Slightly knowing A LOT can be done, but also sometimes not much can be done.

The demo that was on the floor for us regular folk was a tightly contained level which will probably (my conjecture) end up in the game in some shape and form but probably just a bit different. You start off in a small holding room that has some random mechanical parts you can pick up and a flame thrower as well. You have the ability to use a flashlight though it is battery powered and will drain somewhat slowly until you shut it off and let it recharge. No clue if this was on Xbox One or just a PC with the new Xbox controller on it, but the game looked pretty drat good. It certainly captures the aesthetic of the first film very well. The level was very dark but things were suitably dingy and lived in. There were vents you could crawl in and they had that aperture style iris open and closing to in parts of the duct work. As you probably all have seen when you pull up the motion tracker the depth of field drops out so everything in the background gets blurry. This is a great effect and it certainly creates tense moments when you are getting a dot showing up on the motion tracker and you kind of think you may have seen something move. And it also does create moments where you're so locked in to the motion tracker but you realize you're not really sure where you're going or you're just running into a wall. The alien itself looked pretty good from what I saw. The smart thing is that when you hear it clomping around you're afraid and you do hide behind stuff. And then in other situations you just catch a tiny glimpse.

I will say that this demo really did you drop you into the middle of the poo poo so to speak and me having never played it was confused early on. So keep that in mind when I describe what happened. You can pull up a rotary dial menu for some things. I picked up a flare and you can light the flare. There was something called a noisemaker which I presume is when you pick up random "parts" around the ship and then you can put together noise makers to distract the alien. I picked up the flamethrower too. Now the first time I played I was really just slowly poking around. The alien walks by you early on and then I scooted myself to the left staying crouched the entire time. They have your typical alien jump scares of some pipe shooting steam out and what not. I thought I heard something though and my motion tracker was telling me something was in front of me...maybe. I was genuinely somewhat scared/confused and I wanted to back up. But I was backing up towards a door and when I went in the alien was right on the other side. This was maybe the first five minutes and I was dead. It was cool.

The 2nd time just as a test I just charged out, tried to find the alien ASAP and attacked it with the flame thrower. As I noted the game is pretty dark. I'm pretty sure the alien saw me, charged me, I laid down a burst of flame that really did take up a huge portion of my screen. And the alien ran backwards. I'm not sure if it went in the doors or a ceiling panel or vent or what. But then I was nearly out of fuel and was very exposed. Again not sure if this was environmental or what but the flames seemed to cause some hoses or something to burst in the ceiling because steam started pouring out for a second right where I shot the flame.

I've read what you said Palpek and I do agree. I don't want to be fighting droves of androids. Nor do I want to fight humans. It would be great and I believe its been stated that you will run into human NPC's who are simply trying to survive as well. I'd much prefer more flavor like that, a lot of simple exploring punctuate by genuine terror with alien encounters where you have to escape. It does bug me that its Ripley's daughter. Why create pointless exposition that will inevitably have fans gnashing their teeth anyways? Just make it some people who came across a ship or something. The inescapable fact but one of the great draws of this goddamn Aliens franchise of films/comics/games is that the art design and aesthetic is typically good, sometimes great and many times truly terrifying. And I have to say that this game seems to capture the aesthetic of Scott's Alien. The deliberately analog feel of the motion tracker is great. The way the ship looks is fantastic. As I said, I did feel genuinely antsy in the ventilation ducts. I was pulling up my flashlight, constantly checking my motion tracker, and spinning in circles constantly. I think they can really make this an amazing game but there are many spots that they could fall into traps. However, I think they've showed enough demo footage of difference scenarios and my hands on is good enough to say this is way better than Colonial Marines was. Which, I will not defend in the least. ACM was poo poo. I hated it. Ditching any Alien lip service, I think this game is actually going to at least do some of the tone right.

The RPS criticism seems pretty spot on. Though I disagree with "can I really be afraid of a xenomorph." Because they have been done to death but this game in my limited demo seemed to ratchet up the tension very well. And I think this is largely due to them following the aesthetic vision that Scott laid down in the first film. And of course the fact that you're very very fragile.

I'm genuinely worried this will be only a slightly above average game because of where we are seeing this game possibly go. I think the big shame is that it seems like this game is a 3-5 hour game that they may try to stretch longer simply because they feel they need to justify to people who will buy a full retail priced game and think it would be too short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The game is called Isolation. I'd hope they limit human interaction and android interaction.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

KiddieGrinder posted:

I suppose a little, there was a bit where he did a chest grippy attack thing to Parker, which seemed to hurt him. But they were still able to overpower him pretty easily. I just don't want Terminators. :(

I don't mean to xenomorph it up but it seemed clear to me that Ash was pretty drat strong. They barely overpowered him, and only when they knocked his head off. And then he was still tough.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
It's hard for me to make a declarative statement one way or another about the gameplay. I feel though that if the alien AI is lacking it will be exposed within an hour of play. The e3 demo we had access to on the floor was so limited it's hard for me to judge too harshly.

I can say the atmosphere was good and the visual look was nice. Still, this is a wait and see title for me.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
It'll be very interesting to see how much more access they'll be giving to journalists as this game rolls out closer to release. Its only got a few more months before its release so I suppose we should expect media blackout until a couple weeks before release when they start sending out review copies.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Half-Life 1 tooted their AI horn and it largely paid off because the game was able to use scripting and basic AI routines built around the limitations of the game. So things felt smarter.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
You're working really hard to apologize for a game that (as far as I can tell) you haven't even played yet. Any minor complaint is met with apologizing and pointing out what we all know. HISTORY is working against this game. A lot of the alien based games have not been particularly good. Sorry but its true. Before you mount an 8000 word treatise about why each Alien Vs. Predator game was a hidden gem and that Alien Trilogy on PS1 revealed new and fascinating ideas we can just jump to the end and say that a lot of alien games aren't as good as they should be.

Xenomrph posted:

Probably worth pointing out that despite the (totally valid) complaints in the gameinformer article, the author went on to say that it is in fact a good game based on what he'd played.

I hate to pile on here but you just over explain things to death. We get these are preview builds. I did play an E3 build. It looked great. I'm not worried about the visuals. It played pretty well but it was only 15 minutes or so. What I want to know is how this game will manage to sustain suspense but also see how it handles a full narrative. You followed nearly the same behavior with Colonial Marines and even after the game came out and we all were faced with a steaming pile of poo poo you were oddly reticent to concede that the game was poo poo. No one here wants the game to suck. But we're completely within reasonable behavior to be highly suspicious.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
We all want this game to transcend the genre shackles and be a harrowing journey through a franchise we all love.

You don't have to fight for this game. We wouldn't be posting in this thread if we didn't think it COULD be good.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

That Awful Nick posted:

Okay, so they've posted a video about Survival Mode now, which some of the reviewers are saying will give the game some replayability.

BUT, they're also already talking about the planned DLC's (which will likely just be extra/new stages for Survival mode and stuff like that) and that's pretty much managed to convert me from the "meh, I'll preorder it anyway" camp to the "might as well wait for the inevitable Director's Cut Edition that will come out in 10-12 months" camp.

Why can't this franchise catch a break.

I'm pretty sure the Survival Mode was what was actually demoed at E3. I recall in my playthrough that it had little challenge things pop up. Like make it through undetected or something to that effect.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Xenomrph posted:

Remember when everyone was saying this game was obviously going to be horrible and that the claims of "random" Alien AI were obviously bullshit, and I was a delusional crazy person for saying "I dunno guys, the game looks pretty good..."?

Well I don't want to say "I told you so", but... :smug:

We'll see what actual hands-on goon reviews of the final product are like.
I'll admit, I don't exactly like the notion that you can drive the Alien away at will with the flamethrower, unless ammo for it is pretty limited or there's some other factor to de-empower the player.

You're hilarious. I don't recall anyone staking claim that the game was going to be horrible. It was more, the more information that we are getting the less ideal this game is sounding. And given the track record of Alien games we have reason to be worried. But yeah rage against the machine please.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh come on dude, anyone claiming this game didn't get poo poo on just for existing is in as much denial as they blame Xeno for.

I don't recall making GBS threads on this game. And not to lord over xeno here but I actually played a build at E3. So I had at least had a sliver of hands on time. I don't being anything but hopeful but reserved until we see the final product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Firstborn posted:

Begged the thread for the game? drat. I usually expect him in any Aliens thread, that's all.

He said something like, "anyone want to buy this game for me :)" or something. Which was weird. Just funny really considering how defensive of the game he was when in actuality a lot of us had already played it/had real hands on time.

• Locked thread